Trying to work out how FM rates a target man

degsy1

Reaction score
Couldnt find a thread about this when I searched target man so started one to ask the question.

Im currently Celtic in the BSP (along with the other mob), and after a bright start of hitting 6 or 7 in most games Im suddenly struggling for goals. Having around 25 shots with maybe 4 on target. Hooper and Rhodes dont win headers from crosses so Im looking at a target man, but I cannot figure out how FM works out the stars.

I compared all the required stats for target men with few of the ones I know are good at it, drogba, Davies, Carroll etc. Davies stats are better than Carrolls, the comparison shape thing also shows Davies is better in everything except speed, but Carroll is 3.5 stars and Davies is 2.5. How does this work, is there something I cant see like Carroll has longer hair? I counted up what the game says are relevant stats and worked out it out as a percentage and Davies is 81% to Carrolls 75%.

Can anyone explain what I am missing that makes Carroll a whole star better? Carroll is slightly taller, but then Drogba is shorter and is better, but still not as good as Davies (according to the stats).

View attachment 359179View attachment 359180View attachment 359181

Could be a few reasons for the difference in ratings. I would say age would be the most likely explanation, Davies at 34 would start to decline whereas Carroll is just 23 so still has room for improvement, plus he is quicker than Davies.
Being in the BSP your scout might not be that good either.
There are also hidden attributes, such as consistency, dirtiness and versatility, which unless you have the editor you won't be able to see.
Also, being a target man, height, heading and jumping are important and it looks as though Carroll has the advantage on those.

Although Im in the BSP, Im Celtic so my scouts are JPA17 & JPP17.
I added up all the stats FM highlights for target man (finishing, first touch, heading, anticipation, bravery, determination, teamwork, work rate, jumping & strength) and Davies stats total considerably more than Carrolls. Davies is 181 and Carroll is 161. Davies is older but this should only be an issue if his stats are falling, which they clearly aren't. As you say, there may be hidden stats, but I just can't see how these make up such a difference.
Drogba is 4.5 stars, but his stats are only 165. He is 33, to Davies 34, 2" taller than Davies and 1" shorter than Carroll.
View attachment 359530