bear1

Reaction score
I'm currently really struggling for form/on the verge of getting the sack - how do you go about turning results around? Do you change tactic? Is morale the key?

That would depend on the cause of the loss of form, whether it is low confidence or tactical or both.

There's tips about it here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2017-discussion/361174-manumads-box-treats-9.html

Generally speaking I would short-term (and you not having given us any info) do the following:

1. Team meeting giving everybody a kick up the backside.
2. Target train general training and match training. eg if problem is not scoring train attack and attacking movement.
3. Morale is very important. Right before each match speak to every player in the match squad trying to increase morale to green or more. Do it by praising training and behaviour/attitude.
4. Till you start winning/picking up points choose starting XI or match squad based on personality. Remember that resolute/spirited/professional etc players are less likely to feel apprehensive and nervous in matches.
5. Don't make wholesale changes to tactics. You ve got enuf problems already without going in matches with your players not fully versed in your tactics

the advice given by MANUMAD is what I do normally in these situations apart from the training issue.
as you can see in the image below I went 6 matches in the league without a win conceding 13 goals to not conceding in the next 5 matches

View attachment 114873

Presumably you switched to defensive training? Was your tactic more attacking to compensate?

Presumably you switched to defensive training? Was your tactic more attacking to compensate?

No I didn't change tactics or training.

Just focused on using the right players with the right mentality and doing my best to boost morale. Team meeting to ensure heads don't drop. Praising performance be it training, conduct, match performance. Substitute players whose performance declines during matches etc.

You can change training to whatever you want, it won't make a difference. It just simply trains attributes. Callamity is being a 'proper' manager about how he's handling the situation. Get morale and more importantly motivation and confidence up, and see if there are improvements to be made in either the tactic or personnel used.

I meant Match Training rather than General Training, but cool these are all things I would usually do

It's good to be clear about the terms you use, yeah. Match training will help, of course, depending on what your issue is, be it defending, attacking etc.

Sorry I misunderstood, match training can help but only a little, mines had been on defensive positioning from the start of the season this is purely preference over requirement.
Even though they are just computer people, think of them as children, they need to know when something has gone wrong but
be encouraging, positive re-enforcement is a good thing. What would motivate you to perform better? a cold grilling or a warm arm around the shoulder?