Turning Blood and Sweat into Gold: RC Lens

nealcanuck

Reaction score
OP-3.png

Hello everyone! I'm new here, but I've been looking through these forums, for quite a while. I've enjoyed reading these threads. This is my first attempt at a thread here, so hopefully its alright. I've been in the middle of a Lens save, and I dont want to put it down, so I will do my best to catch you guys up, and from there the updates will go as normal.
I am not the greatest writer, but I would love to improve, and doing this certainly couldn't hurt that so I'll give it a go.
Not sure if its getting too off-topic or breaking any of the "rubbish" thread violations but I'm honestly going to put in a good effort.
I am a Canadian, and I dont have the greatest knowledge of the sport, compared to Ice hockey for example, but its a new sport to me, and I enjoy FM, so I'm willing to learn :) You can call me Neal btw. Thanks!

Oh and any tips are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Well, you came to the right place, Neal. I am sure many here are avid fans, and we can offer you advice where needed. :)

Canal+.jpg

Neal Wilson's Revival of Lens

rc-lens.png

The newest Manager of Racing Club Lens, Neal Wilson has completely turned around the clubs fortunes, and they now look set on returning to Ligue 1. Wilson who comes from Canada has been coaching in the sport since his major knee injury when he was younger which ended his playing career. He took his Provincial team in Canada, to the National Championships, but ended up losing in the Finals to Ontario, where most of todays professional football players come from.

Racing Club Lens was formed in 1906, when a group of Parents gave the team the name, for their teenagers, to compete against other teams such as Racing Club Roubaix. The team got its Blood and Gold motto in 1924 when the team switched to Red and Gold kits, because of Spanish influence, thanks to last Spanish church in the area, and to represent the blood of the miners, and the value of the coal, that the miners collected, in the mining town. Through their history, they have never been the strongest team, but the club continues to work towards stability in the top French division, and this new era for the club, could be the beginning of that.

Jean-Louis-GARCIA-006-copie-1.jpg

Neal Wilson was asked to take the RC Lens vacant Manager spot, as the previous manager Jean-Louis Garcia was sacked when it was revealed he took part in illegal betting, and even took part in betting, on his own matches, something the Lens Chairman, Gervais Martel was not too happy about. The fans felt betrayed, and soon they began to question if they would be able to get back to the Top division any time soon, with all the animosity surrounding the club in only a short amount of time.

View attachment 219809 View attachment 219812

Lens results so far, have been spectacular! In just a few months, he has brought the team to the top of the table, and has also set a new Ligue 2 record winning 6 straight matches to start the year. With less than a handful of losses all season, the club is now the favourite to promote, and they have a very nice cushion too. The January window can change really change the perspective of the league, and Lens have already made it clear they have very little money to improve the squad, so Lens will have to work hard all season long, and build up a nice lead, in case the quality of other teams become much closer to their own.

Neal's Notes:
View attachment 219810

"This is the squad, I have been working with for the better part of the year. I had brought in Regis Etari, and Jonas de Roeck a defender on loan, while I have sold Sidi Keita, a fan favourite because I needed to free up the wage budget, and his contract was the largest. He no doubt would have been an important part of the team, but I'm sure he will enjoy himself at his new club Derby. I feel the results of the team so far, have been great. The team still needs to work on discipline but the results are there, and they are learning my tactics quickly, thanks to the help of my staff. Unfortunately the board doesn't feel the team needs an increase in wage budget cash, so I will probably have to complete this season, without adding another player, while all other teams around us, work to improve their squads in January. Its frustrating, but I am confident in our side to promote anyways.

--------------------

a great start. ben saadi looks like he's in great form.

You'll be playing with the big boys next year!!!!

good luck

a great start. ben saadi looks like he's in great form.

You'll be playing with the big boys next year!!!!

good luck

Thanks! And he is in fantastic form. He's been Ligue 2 Player of the week atleast 3 times.

Hopefully. I'm not going to count my eggs just yet (or however that saying goes)

Thanks, a bit quiet in the story section though. |)

logolens.png

November Review Review 2011-2012

------------

Ligue 2 - Matchday 14
CS Sedan 0 - 1 RC Lens

View attachment 220041

"This was a solid win.
I had a feeling we would get the victory, but the opposition pushed us hard
but luckily we could take the three points, which is the most important thing.
The other side, out played us I felt, until we were both reduced to 10 men, so it was a level playing field."

Coupe de France (Rnd. 7)
CS Sedan 1 - 2 RC Lens

View attachment 220042

"I feel we were lucky to get this result.
You can say we were the favourites, but I also think we were outplayed,
so the scoreline doesn't suggest how the match went at all.
All I can say, is that we are lucky to be moving on, but sometimes good teams have to find ways to win,
and I think we did that tonight."

Ligue 2 - Matchday 15
Le Mans FC 1 - 1 RC Lens

View attachment 220039

"This match was not what we had in mind.
We had hoped going into this match that we could get the victory,
but that plan was spoiled by a well deserved Le Mans side,
who played just as well, if not better than us. I thought putting in Hazard would help the cause,
but he did not show up at all, so I think I will be more cautious the next time I feel like starting him.
Still his 5 League goals cannot be ignored, and he will want to
get starts or else move on to a club that plays him.
At least we could scrape out 1 point on an Own goal but
I look for better efforts next match."

-----------------

Ligue 2 Standings (Dec. 1st, 2011)

View attachment 220040

"Its great to see that at the end of the month we are still in first place. I know Tours FC are chasing us down, but as long as we score points in as many matches as possible, I think we have a strong chance of promoting at the end of the season.

Our best player this month was Chaouki Ben Saada who I normally play at RW. He has been on fire so far, and is getting recognition around the league, as one of the best, as well as Yahia our Aerial Threat, who normally plays CB. I dont know what I am going to do about transfers in January, with no funds being available but I will look to arrange some friendlies in an effort to gain a little more cash."

--------------

logolens.png

December Review 2011-2012

----------------------

Ligue 2 - Matchday 16
RC Lens 0 - 0 Tours FC

View attachment 220526

"The match was against the 2nd place team, so a good result wasn't exactly expected like other matches, but we managed to come through with the draw. Sure it was a snorefest, but the point helps us retain our League lead."
e

Coupe de France 8th Rnd
Bergerac Foot 0 - 3 RC Lens

View attachment 220520

"We wanted to continue our strong cup run, and thanks to a great draw, we matched up against a fairly easy opponent. It was also really nice for De Roeck to score off the set piece, from the corner, I know he doesn't score all that often. Coeff also put in a great match!"

Ligue 2 - Matchday 17
FC Metz 0 - 2 RC Lens

View attachment 220521

"This was a great match for us, as well as a needed morale boost! Coeff scored from a laser early in the match, and then we were able to score another later, to hold on to the win. Coeff was my MOTM, however the fans gave it to Ben Saada, who has been our best player this year."

Ligue 2 - Matchday 18
RC Lens 1 - 0 Chateauroux

View attachment 220525

"Bilal Hamdi had expressed his displeasure to me, about his lack of first team matches, so with injuries and suspensions adding up, I gave him the go at Right Wing. I thought he had an above average gave, but his ability to lose his marking and score off the set piece early in the match was crucial in our victory. I wanted to let him know that his performance didn't go unnoticed but also, not to expect constant first team time."

Friendly
Freiburg 3 - 1 RC Lens

View attachment 220522

"This was nothing more than a friendly match to keep the boys at top fitness over the break. We didn't play well, but going against this type of opposition, we didn't really expect much either."

Friendly

AJ Auxerre 0 - 1 RC Lens

View attachment 220519

"Another quick friendly and this time our man for the future, Thorgan Hazard truly delivered. I'm a little shocked that my scout still doesn't believe he's ready to get first team time. He's already scored 5 league goals, and now another against easily our toughest opponent of the season."

-----------------

Ligue 2 Standings (Jan 1st, 2012)

View attachment 220524
"The standings stay pretty much the same for Lens. We've lost one point of our gap, thanks to the draw with Tours, but overall I think we're sitting in a strong position going in to the most critical point of the season."

--------------------

Other News

View attachment 220523
"In other news, the Ligue 2 Player of the Year was announced and to no surprise (to me) Chaouki Ben Saada has been unveiled as the winner of the award. Many top french footballers have won this award in the past, so I'm sure its a great honour for Chaouki!

I also have to reveal that Alassane Toure one of our bench players, has requested a transfer, due to lack of playing time. I'm not sure why he was expecting to play, as he's clearly still a prospect, but I will let him leave. I tried to convince him to leave on loan, but he would have none of that, so I expect him to be gone by the end of January!"

P.S. Problems with layout that wont seem to be fixed.

Not bad, Cant see much wrong with it actually.
One of the only things I would consider is maybe writing a little more about each match. Include any debatable decisions, good performances and key moments. It also may look slightly better if you dont use all the text in italics. I know most of your posts is quoting from what the manager thinks but I find Italics and bold are best used sparingly for effect. But overall very well presented and good effort. Keep up the good work

Not bad, Cant see much wrong with it actually.
One of the only things I would consider is maybe writing a little more about each match. Include any debatable decisions, good performances and key moments. It also may look slightly better if you dont use all the text in italics. I know most of your posts is quoting from what the manager thinks but I find Italics and bold are best used sparingly for effect. But overall very well presented and good effort. Keep up the good work

Wow, thanks! :)
Sure thing, thanks for the suggestions. Will change that for next time. Just haven't found enough time to play lately :p