Just caught up doing well despite the poor results recently especially considering any team can take your players for free

Just caught up doing well despite the poor results recently especially considering any team can take your players for free

Appreciate it mate. Yea, it's very annoying, hopefully we can turn it around soonish.

MARCH 2017

A good way to take my mind off the recent results, i get to have a look at our next batch of youth candidates...

View attachment 240023

As usual, we have decided to offer contracts to all of the candidates. How many of them will be content with just playing in the U20s? We'll see.

Now back onto first team matters...

MONTROSE V QUEEN'S PARK (League 2)

View attachment 240020

Four changes from the Elgin game as Horribine, Macneil, Harvie and Little come in for Cameron, Norris, Biggart and Marr. I'm not optimistic here, Montrose could run away from us if they get a win here, and our recent form doesn't give me much hope.

Despite my fears, we did take the lead early on, when Wylie headed in a Macneil free kick in the 12th minute. It didn't take Montrose long to equalise however, when Harwood tapped in at the far post after Tumilty flicked on a McDonald corner. Just when i thought we would escape with a point, Montrose drove a dagger into our heart when Harwood headed in a Callaghan free kick in the 90th minute.

View attachment 240018View attachment 240017

Truly gutting to lose in that fashion, but the worrying thing is that is our 4th loss in a row. Especially concerning given that our next match is against the league leaders Brechin.

I tried to rally the team a couple of days later, as i gathered them all on the training field to give them a pep talk.

"Alright lads, i know you're all down over our recent form, especially with the late loss to Montrose, but i just want you all to know that i have full belief in you to turn this around. If we all band together we can get back on track. There's easily enough talent in this squad to secure another play off spot"
William Muir: "I think i speak for everyone when i say that you're 100% correct, we've not been good enough recently, but we've got it in us to beat anyone in this division, we just need to put in that little bit extra going forward"

A small round of applause spread around the squad, and it left me with at least a little bit of optimism for the future.

Despite the result, Gavin Mitchell was named in the team of the week.

View attachment 240005

BRECHIN V QUEEN'S PARK (League 2)

View attachment 240002

Two changes from the last game, as Norris and Colquhoun come in for Horribine and Marr. Hopefully my pep talk will have a difference, but it will take something special to get a win away to the leaders.

We almost took a surprise lead when a long ball over the top found the run of Macneil, but his effort was palmed behind by Smith. The resulting corner led to Berry receiving the ball on the edge of the box, allowing him to slide in Wylie, who just about beat Smith at his near post. Muir came to our rescue just before half time, parrying a Wood free kick out and then saving the rebound from Anderson.

We incredibly doubled our lead early on in the second half, when Hamilton knocked the ball away from Macneil with a slide tackle, only for it to run into the path of Wylie, who tapped into an essentially empty net. Things would get even better for us just moments later, when Wylie received the ball at the near post following a Macneil corner, he floated the ball to the far post where Gibson's header was miraculously saved by Smith, but Hamilton's attempted clearance hit Wood and bounced into the net. Why we couldn't see this Queen's Park side every week, i really don't know.

We lost our clean sheet in the 72nd minute however, when a long ball reached Carberry, who lashed the ball into the net to make it 3-1 and score his 22nd goal of the season. We were forced to play the last 5 minutes with 10 men when McNab went off with an injury after all 3 of our subs had been made. Brechin could have scored another in the 90th minute, but Carberry's 1 on 1 chance was well saved down low by Muir.

View attachment 239992View attachment 239991

A brilliant result given our recent form. Hopefully this will be the start of a turnaround.

QUEEN'S PARK V EAST FIFE (League 2)

View attachment 239985

Just the one change from the Brechin match, as Craigie replaces Colquhoun. I'm hoping we can replicate the performance from the previous game, but this is Queen's Park we're talking about, i'm not going to be sure until it happens.

And things didn't get off to a good start for us, when Robbie Mitchell and MacDonald exchanged passes, allowing Mitchell to fire past Muir and give Queen's Park the lead. We got back on level terms in the 25th minute however, when Berry found Wylie on the edge of the box, he took a touch inside, and curled a brilliant left footed shot into the top right corner. We were then able to take the lead in the 33rd minute, when Gavin Mitchell's throw in found Norris just inside the area, he turned and found Berry, who took a touch before slotting it under Gott to give us a 2-1 lead. East Fife were close to equalising on the stroke of half time, but Little stopped Robbie Mitchell with a slide tackle before he could get his shot away. Mitchell once again found himself inside the area in the second half straight from kick off, but it was Gibson who this time thwarted him before he could get his shot off.

There was controversy in the 61st minute, when Norris appeared to foul Mullen, before seeing his attempted cross blocked by Cook and fall to Berry, who hit a right footed shot straight into the top corner. I would certainly feel quite aggrieved about that goal if i were a fan of East Fife. We bagged our 4th of the afternoon in truly superb fashion, as McNab played a lofted ball to Harvie, who volleyed a cross into the box with his right footed and found Norris, whose header hit the underside of the bar and bounced in. Three touches without the ball hitting the floor and we'd scored!

View attachment 239966View attachment 239965

Another excellent showing from us, we've really shown great character in the last couple of games.

Very pleasingly, we had 4 players in the team of the week after our convincing win.

View attachment 239963

Unfortunately, our month ended on a bit of a sour note, as Toby Macneil twisted his knee during a training session, meaning he will be out for between 4 and 5 weeks. To add to that, Gabriel Auriemma strained his groin and will also miss 4 to 5 weeks of action.

Indeed, we had a much better showing in the monthly awards than the previous month.

View attachment 239954View attachment 239953View attachment 239952

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 239951

Gregor Wylie (right), has been excellent throughout the month, notching 4 goals in 3 games.

WORST PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 239949

Robbie McNab, who has been a little bit of a let down over the last 3 games.

APRIL 2017

Big finish to the season here, with a bumper five games in one month, against Albion, East Stirling, Peterhead, Arbroath and Annan.

Just before the game against Albion, this line drew my attention...

View attachment 239630

What a strange club that would be to join at this point...

ALBION ROVERS V QUEEN'S PARK (League 2)

View attachment 239629

Two changes from the win against East Fife, as Horribine and Davison come in for Norris and Macneil. This was a vital game, Albion are only 6 points behind us in the table, so a loss here could make the last 4 games a little nervy.

We were lucky not to fall behind in just the 4th minute of the game when Maguire slipped in Duthie, whose close range effort was superbly tipped wide by Muir. Albion came forward again in the 29th minute when Hardie and Duthie exchanged passes, before Hardie's eventual shot was held by Muir. We fell behind just after half time in bizarre circumstances, when Gavin McMillan overhit an early cross, leading it to sail over Muir's head and into the far corner. Albion would double their lead when a ball over the top outfoxed Little, leading to Duthie running through, Muir rushed out and attempted to beat him to the ball, but Duthie simply lobbed it over Muir's head to make it 2-0. We gave ourselves a fighting chance with 15 minutes to go, when we had a number of shots blocked following a corner before the ball fell to Little, who tapped past Parry to make it 2-1.

Our chances of finding an equaliser took a blow a moment later however, when Norris was forced off with an injury after we had made all 3 of our subs. Our best chance in added time came when Berry ran a good 20 yards before unleashing a shot from just outside the area, but it went well wide of the goal.

View attachment 239628View attachment 239627

Disappointed to lose that one, we were very unlucky, but that loss means we'll need to look over our shoulders for the next few games. This matchday also saw Brechin and Montrose confirm that they will at least be involved in the play offs come the end of the season.

Despite the result, Vincent Berry was named in the team of the week

View attachment 239626

QUEEN'S PARK V EAST STIRLINGSHIRE (League 2)

View attachment 239625

Three changes from the last game, as McGuigan, Norris and Collins come in for Horribine, Wylie and Davison. Again, it must be pointed out that East Stirlingshire have never beaten us since i have taken over at the club.

We took the lead early on when Berry played a corner to the near post and found McGuigan, who floated a ball to the back post and found Norris, who volleyed in to give us the lead. And we doubled our lead when those two players once again linked up, as McGuigan crossed from the left flank to Norris, who headed in and doubled our lead. They swapped roles early in the second half when Norris drilled a low cross in and found McGuigan, who fired in to score his first goal for the club on his debut

View attachment 239624View attachment 239623

An excellent result for us, East Stirlingshire never really threatened.

I also received word that takeover talks were again underway between the board and a potential suitor. We shall see if this one materialises.

We had 4 players named in the team of the week, including our effective strike partnership

View attachment 239688

PETERHEAD V QUEEN'S PARK (League 2)

View attachment 239684

One change from the game against East Stirling, as Davison comes in for McGuigan. We have a terrible record against Peterhead in recent times, and with them rock bottom of the table, i wasn't feeling too confident...

We didn't start off the game well, and conceded a penalty in the 12th minute when Craigie clattered Lynch after he received the ball from a throw in. Barrowman stepped up and confidently dispatched the penalty. We were back on level terms after 15 minutes when Davison latched onto a ball down the left flank and squared it across for Norris, who tapped in to level the scoring. We should have taken the lead after 20 minutes when McNab slid in Davison, but he blazed his shot well wide. We came forward again moments later, and when Davison squared the ball to Collins, his effort was parried out by Cowe, but the ball fell back to Davison, who slammed home to give us a 2-1 lead. We conceded a penalty late in the first half when Berry tripped Kenneth in the area following a free kick. Barrowman once again converted to bag his second penalty of the game.

We regained the lead early on in the second half, when Norris dinked a free kick into the area and found Mathis, who tapped home for our 3rd of the game. Peterhead could have scored just after the hour mark when Cameron played the ball to Barrowman on the penalty spot, but his shot was well saved by Muir. The ball eventually made its way to Sam Robertson on the left flank, who found McAllister in the box, who took a touch before firing in to equalise. Peterhead were down to 10 men for the dying minutes of the game when Lynch received a second yellow card for tripping McPherson.

View attachment 239664View attachment 239662

We may not have won, but at least that result has guaranteed us a play off spot next season.

Vincent Berry and Aaron Norris have both been tipped to win the Player of the Year award come the end of the season, fingers crossed for the both of them!

QUEEN'S PARK V ARBROATH (League 2)

View attachment 239649

One change from the last game, as Cameron comes in for Davison.

We had the ball in the net when Cameron played in Craigie, who slid in to the net, but the goal was chalked off for offside. We took the lead just after half time when Harvie drilled a cross to the far post and found Norris, who tapped in to make it 1-0. We found a second goal just after the hour mark when Norris was found at the near post with a corner from Berry, allowing him to lay it back to McNab, who smashed it in from the edge of the area.

Things got better for us in the 76th minute when Collins was found at the back post with a cross from Mitchell, and Norris converted for our 3rd of the game. We went down to 10 men after Harvie went off with an injury before Gunn slipped in Sykes, who slid it under Muir for a consolation goal.

View attachment 239643View attachment 239642

A solid win for us, with the only real negative being Harvie's injury.

Robbie McNab was named in the team of the week following his efforts.

View attachment 239641

QUEEN'S PARK V ANNAN ATHLETIC (League 2)

View attachment 239640

Two changes, as Wylie and McMillan come in for Cameron and Little.

We took the lead in the 19th minute following a good passing move which led to Craigie getting the ball on the edge of the box, before slamming in to give us the advantage and bag his first goal for the club. We took a blow in the 20th minute however, when Gibson was forced off with an injury. We nearly scored a second in the 40th minute when Norris fed through Collins, whose first time effort was well saved by Hart. We did eventually bag a second goal when Collins knocked down a free kick to McMillan, who volleyed home to double our advantage.

Annan came forward in the 64th minute, and the ball fell to Hunter after McMillan tackled Brady, Hunter crossed the ball in to Donnelly, who headed in to bring Annan back into the game. We were pegged back in the dying minutes when Watson headed a Campbell free kick to Donelly, who headed back over to Brady, allowing him to slide home to equalise.

View attachment 239638View attachment 239637

A shame that we conceded so late on, but ultimately the result mattered little. It was confirmed that we would face Brechin in the play offs, as the results confirmed that Montrose had sealed the League 2 title.

More bad news out of the game however, as it turned out that Gibson has suffered a broken collarbone and will be out for 2 months.

Craigie and McMillan were both named in the team of the week for their performances

View attachment 239590

Aaron Norris was in the running for two of the monthly awards.

View attachment 239634View attachment 239633

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 239632

Aaron Norris, who put in some solid performances over the course of the month, scoring 4 goals in the process

WORST PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 239631

Scott Gibson, who was a little dodgy at the back in the last few matches. His injury is a shame though, and hopefully he will come back better next season, whichever league we are in.

Last edited:
PLAY OFF SEMI FINALS

We received a little bit of encouragement going into our tie against Brechin, from ex player Patrick Slattery, who says that he was a big fan of Aaron Norris, and that he was looking forward to watching him against Brechin. He also drew comparisons between Norris and Jordan Moore, who was our star striker when we arrived here.

QUEEN'S PARK V BRECHIN (Promotion Play Off Semi Final First Leg)

View attachment 239584

Just the one forced change for this match, as Little comes in for the injured Gibson. Here we are again, in the play offs for the third season running, we really needed a good result here, as going away to Brechin in the second leg might be tough

We got off to an excellent start, and too the lead just after the 20 minute mark when Norris teed up McNab, who slammed it in from just inside the box to give us a lead. We doubled our advantage late on in the game when Berry's corner was headed out by Jackson only as far as Craigie, who steadied himself before firing past Gary Christie to make it 2-0.

View attachment 239576View attachment 239575

An excellent result, which puts us in a good position going into the second leg, we've still got a job to do though, Brechin are more than capable of turning it around. If we slouch, we'll find ourselves stuck in League 2 for another season.

Sadly, Lee Davison twisted his knee during a training session and will be out for 4-5 weeks, guaranteeing he will miss the rest of the play offs.

BRECHIN V QUEEN'S PARK (Play Off Semi Final 2nd Leg)

View attachment 239571

An unchanged lineup for the second leg here, i have confidence that they can get the job done.

Quite pleasingly, the first half went completely without action. Brechin's first real attack came in the 58th minute when a long ball over the top found its way to Carberry, but Muir made a great close range save to keep him out. Mere minutes later however, Carberry played in Barr down the right flank, allowing him to run in and slip it in at the near post to give Brechin the lead. Brechin went forward again in the 74th minute and Swankie was sent into the box by Carberry, but he blazed his shot well over the bar.

View attachment 239565View attachment 239561

Slightly disappointing to lose, but ultimately we did what we needed to. It sets us up for our 2nd consecutive play off final.

It was confirmed that we would be facing Forfar Athletic in the final, following their 7-1 aggregate win over Elgin City in the other semi final.

Brechin's manager Gary Bollan was sacked after this game, he had been in charge since December 2015

Due to Gavin Mitchell's yellow card, he will miss the first league game of next season through suspension.

But that is the future, and this is the present, we have another play off final against Forfar to focus on next, the question is... will it be third time lucky?​

Last edited:
PLAY OFF FINAL

Before the tie, i opted to knock back another job offer, this time from Vanarama Conference side Braintree Town. I wasn't leaving with a play off final on the horizon.

FORFAR v QUEEN'S PARK (Play Off Final First Leg)

View attachment 239539

Just the one change here, as Burns replaces Wylie. This was it, the first leg of the play off final. We won the first leg 1-0 last year, and i would certainly take a repeat of that.

Things didn't get off to a great start, when Collins had to go off with an injury just after the 15 minute mark. Things got even worse 5 minutes later when Norris handballed in the area following a free kick from Stewart. Pettigrew stepped up and easily dispatched the spot kick. Things began to get embarrassing when Hilson received the ball on the edge of the box from Ross before firing past Muir to double Forfar's lead.

We got a goal back mere moments later however, when Norris was found at the near post with a corner, and his low cross deflected off Adamson into the net. Half time came and went, we still had a fighting chance here.

I went into the dressing room and sat the entire team down...

"Ok lads. Listen, i know you may be expecting me to be unhappy, but i'm not, we're against a League One side, a good one at that. You were unlucky in that half, and i'm confident that if you go out there and play like you have been, the goals will come, so believe in yourselves, give everything, and never stop fighting for this club. We've failed twice in the past, ****, we might fail again, but even if we do, i'll know that this group of players has put their bodies on the line and worn their hearts on their sleeve. Go out there and do me, the fans and the prospective new owners proud. COME ON!!!!"

And we fired ourselves back on level terms when Mitchell threw in to Craigie, allowing him to square the ball over to Cameron, who finessed it past Caraux to make it 2-2. The entire away dugout was on their feet when McNab was floored by Husband just inside the area, leading to the referee pointing straight to the spot. McNab dusted himself down, stepped up and slammed his penalty into the top right corner to complete an incredible comeback.

Our chances of seeing the game out were improved when David Calderwood went off with an injury with just 10 minutes to go after Forfar had made all of their subs. Things weren't over there though, as in the 91st minute of the game, a Burns free kick was headed clear by Evans only as far as Berry, who passed to Auriemma who then found Cameron, Stewart knocked the ball away with a challenge, but McMillan got onto the lose ball and was taken down from behind by Hilson, and the referee awarded us a second penalty. This time substitute Bernard Coll stepped up, and slammed his spot kick right down the middle to double our lead and bag his first ever senior goal. The full time whistle went, much to the delight of everyone sporting the black and white hoops of Queen's Park.

View attachment 239537View attachment 239536

Incredible, we were coming away from Station Park with a 2 goal lead going into the second leg at Hampden. We were in prime position to finally make it, but again, we couldn't rest on our laurels. We were against a League One side here, one who could easily punish us if we don't give everything to see this out.

And this headline popped up in the Daily Record the very next morning...

View attachment 239535

Fantastic. After last season's final ended in heartbreak due to an opposition manager's team talk, i had managed to motivate the squad into putting us into a commanding position going into the second leg. It was a great feeling, but nowhere near as good as the feeling would be if we could seal promotion with our next game.

I also noticed i was now being linked with the Brechin job, as well as the Dungannon job in Northern Ireland. It's good to be coveted! But my focus was on Queen's Park, and the second leg of the final was here...

QUEEN'S PARK V FORFAR (PLAY OFF FINAL SECOND LEG)

View attachment 239527

Two changes from the first leg, as Wylie and Cameron replace Burns and the injured Collins. Here we are then, the final game of the season, one which will either send us up or send us away feeling heartbroken yet again. We had home field advantage, but we don't always make that count.

We almost put ourselves 3 goals up in the tie when Harvie whipped in an early cross and found Cameron, whose left footed volley incredibly hit the crossbar and the foot of the right hand post before bouncing out. That could end up being crucial... We eventually worked the ball back into the box when Norris ran through, but his effort from a narrow angle was held by Salmon. Eventually we had the ball in the 42nd minute when Cameron got onto a Wylie cross and slammed home a volley. Salmon was on hand to prevent us from going 2-0 up in added time when he produced a double save from Cameron and Wylie.

Half time came, we were 3 goals up, we now just have to be intelligent with our game management and it will be done. I passed this message onto the players, i hope they can carry it out...

We got our second of the day when Wylie received the ball from Cameron just inside the box, and turned Pettigrew before smashing in to make it 6-2 overall. We had the ball in the net again in the 73rd minute when Wylie set up McPherson, but his effort was (clearly wrongly) chalked off for offside.

View attachment 239513View attachment 239512

The full time whistle went and all i could do was collapse on my knees. I broke down into tears. We had done it. Three years, and it was all worth it. We had convincingly sealed promotion, won both legs, in arguably what was our toughest season since i arrived.

The elation around the players was incredible. The fans around Hampden were electric. We would be playing our football in League One next season.

View attachment 239508View attachment 239507 View attachment 239506

I just about managed to regain my composure and wiped the tears from my face in time to walk into the press conference after the game.

"Mr Lucock, congratulations on the promotion, how does it feel to have finally made it after three years?"

"It's absolutely incredible, we've all worked so hard....sorry, i'm still pulling myself together. We've all worked so hard over the time i've been here, the lads have been brilliant from day one and they fully deserve this, i'm just proud to have managed them to eventual glory"

After dealing with a few more questions i was on the phone to Ronald Jack.

"Evening Craig, that was an incredible performance out there from your boys. I always knew you had it in you to finally get the job done. I just want you to know that, although i may not be here next season, depending on how the takeover talks go, you've done a great job here and it's been a pleasure to work with you, and i believe in you to keep the club in League One next season"

"Thank you so much Ronald, it means a lot coming from you, i'll indeed do my utmost to do the best we possibly can next season, and will especially do everything in my power to make sure we don't drop back down to League Two"

"I know you will Craig, i know you will."

So, that was that, we had done it, we will be playing in League One next season, and hopefully for many more seasons after that. I walked away from Hampden, knowing that this was truly one of the biggest days in the club's recent history.

View attachment 239494

Congrats on finally making it!

Do you think the promotion will make the board go semi-pro? Would certainly be a big help in your efforts to consolidate...

Congrats on finally making it!

Do you think the promotion will make the board go semi-pro? Would certainly be a big help in your efforts to consolidate...

I would love to make that happen, but it's incredibly not possible. See, the club's motto is
"Ludere Causa Ludendi" which translates to 'To play for the sake of playing' I'm reasonably confident that it's not actually possible to request an upgrade in the club's status, i think they're sort of hard coded into the game to stay amateur, which represents the club in real life.

So yeah, it's a bit of an ultimate lower league challenge, really.

Brilliant stuff!! Congrats on the promotion! Well deserved after all your perseverance!!

Fantastic!!

Just caught up....Promotion is an amazing feat, well done!!

2017-18 PRE SEASON ROUND UP

POST SEASON AWARDS

Vincent Berry and Aaron Norris were both included in the League Two Team of the Year.

View attachment 239117

Berry amassed 37 appearances, 4 goals and 7 assists with an average rating of 7.22 over the course of the league season.

Norris managed 33 appearances, scored 14 goals, notched 11 assists and got a 7.12 average rating.

Vincent Berry was named fans player of the year, rather convincingly.

View attachment 239118

This was our fans' team of the year.

View attachment 239119

McNab, Gibson, Wylie, Little, Norris and Macneil were all inducted into the overall best eleven as well.

JOB SPECULATION

I was linked with the manager's position at Danske Bank Premiership side Coleraine, who finished 8th in the league last season before sacking their manager Oran Kearney.

I was also offered a job interview by Forfar Athletic, the team that we defeated in the play off final. Certainly not, i wasn't going to be leaving to go back down to League 2, no matter how much easier my job would be.

To add to that, i was offered an interview by Drogheda United, who at the time were rock bottom of the Irish First Division with just 7 points from 13 games. Not a particularly appealing move.

It didn't end there, as i was linked again to the position at Conference side Stockport.

BOARD TAKEOVER

As of the 2nd June 2017, the proposed takeover has been completed, and local businessman James Stables has taken over the club from Ronald Jack. He came over to meet me a few days after the news came out.

"Pleasure to meet you Mr Lucock, i just thought i would come down and say hello. I wanted to thank you for your patience throughout the last month or so, i know it's probably been quite stressful having to deal with the transfer embargo and everything else that came with the talks. Don't fret, by the way, your job is safe, i'm not one of those who comes in and upsets everything, i'm just here to get the club back on a sound financial footing, and your efforts in gaining promotion will certainly help on that front. Very well done on achieving that, and i'm sure you'll be able to keep that going next year. Catch you later."

Seems a pleasant enough fellow, and he appears to have the club's best interests at heart.

COACHING QUALIFICATIONS

I have completed my studies and gained my Continental C coaching license, and have begun studying for my Continental B license, which should take around 6 months to complete.

MISC

We again topped the sponsorship table for the past year.

View attachment 239115

We have also terminated our link with Dumbarton due to both clubs being in League One.

CUP DRAWS

We have been drawn against Dumbarton in the Scottish League Cup, and against Queen of the South in the Challenge Cup.

TRANSFERS

View attachment 239114

OUTS

View attachment 239112

View attachment 239111

View attachment 239110

Losing McNab and Little will be a big blow for us next season, both were near ever present and were big parts of why we were promoted. Sinclair was a good prospect, but unfortunately Alloa had to come sniffing around again. This again shows the size of the challenge i have here, especially given that Little has actually dropped down a league with that move.

INS

View attachment 239107

George Smith, who has been brought in on loan to compete with Gavin Mitchell and James Marr in the right back position this season.

View attachment 239106

Sean Black, a physically commanding centre back, one of three centre backs who has been brought in on loan to provide some steel in that position of the pitch.

View attachment 239105View attachment 239104

Jack McMillan, who has returned to the club for another season on loan after impressing in the last campaign.

View attachment 239103View attachment 239102

Darren Whyte, who has been brought in to provide depth in the middle of the park, he made 4 appearances in the SPL during the time he spent at St Mirren, so he does have some experience at playing at the highest level in this country.

View attachment 239101

Chris Blair, another rock of a centre back who will feature in and around the squad next season, arguably the best of the three centre half loanees.

View attachment 239099View attachment 239100

Andrew Greig, a nifty winger who will likely feature heavily in the team over the coming year. Was playing for Brechin last year in League 2, and has also spent time at Brora after coming from Inverness' youth acadaemy.

View attachment 239098View attachment 239097

Allan Russel, a veteran striker whose experience should assist us in League One, was playing in the league last year as part of Clyde, and has also played for teams such as Kilmarnock, Airdrie, Clyde and St Mirren, among others.

View attachment 239096View attachment 239095

Andy Jackson, who spent the last 5 seasons playing for Brechin, 4 of those coming in League One, struggled last season only making 13 appearances and scoring 1 goal, but hopefully he can regain his form with us.

View attachment 239093View attachment 239092

Andrew Steeves, who will likely hold down the left back position next season, played for Clyde in League One last season, and has also played for Annan and Forfar, he came out of St Johnstone's youth system.

View attachment 239090View attachment 239091

Due to Daniel Hoban agreeing to sign for Raith come January, James MacLeod has been brought in to provide competition with William Muir for the goalkeeper spot.

ALMOSTS

View attachment 239084View attachment 239083

Craig McCall and Steven Notman, who opted to sign for East Fife and Arbroath instead of joining us.

FRIENDLIES

View attachment 239081

Not the most ideal of pre seasons, but ultimately, the results don't matter in pre season, building up fitness is what's important.

INJURIES

Yohan Mathis has sustained a twisted ankle and will be out for the next 2-3 weeks, meaning he will miss the opening cup games and quite possibly the opening league game against Ayr.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly a mixed bag when it comes to pre season business, but the real stuff starts next, when we take on Queen of the South in the Challenge Cup, the question is, can we retain our position in League One?​

Fantastic!!

Just caught up....Promotion is an amazing feat, well done!!

Thanks a lot man! Yeah, it felt great, it's harder than some people may think to do well with a completely amateur side haha! It'll be a miracle if we push on from here.

SEASON OPENING CUP GAMES 2017-18

QUEEN'S PARK V QUEEN OF THE SOUTH (Challenge Cup 1st Round)

View attachment 238928

A very similar looking starting lineup to last season, with debuts given to Andrew Steeves, Sean Black and George Smith. Greig, Blair, Whyte and Jackson could make their debuts if they are brought on. Another season starts, and this will be a tough game given our higher tier opposition.

Aaron Norris was forced off with an injury in only the 10th minute of the game and was replaced by Ross Cameron. Things got even worse on the injuries front 13 minutes later when Mitchell had to come off. Queen of the South would come forward just a couple of moments later, and took the lead when McMullan just about kept the ball in before squaring to Ness, who tapped into an empty net to make it 1-0. We brought it back in the 35th minute when Wylie played in Collins, who squared the ball over to Cameron, who took a touch before finding the bottom left corner. Queen of the South would regain their lead not long after our time when McMullan headed in a Holt cross, despite our previous best attempts to clear. We were struggling to cope with their offense, and fell even further behind when Ness fired home after Craigie knocked the ball away from McMullan.

Things got worse moments later when George Smith was sent off on his debut after receiving a second yellow card for a trip on the halfway line. Ex Liverpool man Michael Ngoo had the ball in the net on the hour mark, but his goal was thankfully chalked off for offside. There was no flag to save us a few moments later however, as McMullan exchanged passes with Kidd before slotting home. We had a chance of our own in the 70th minute, but Turner saved well from Collins after he was set up by Craigie just inside the box. Things started to get embarrassing a moment later however, when McMullan slotted in to bag his hat trick.

View attachment 238927View attachment 238926

A pretty horrendous result, Queen of the South might be a better side than we are, but i expected much more a fight than that.

The injury reports came flowing in after the game too, Gavin Mitchell sustained a broken wrist and will be out for 5 weeks, Aaron Norris strained his thigh and will miss 4-5 weeks, while Gregor Wylie will be sidelined for 9-12 days with a bruised shin.

DUMBARTON V QUEEN'S PARK (League Cup First Round)

View attachment 238924

Eight changes from the Queen of the South game, as Greig, Cameron, Davison, Auriemma, Coll, Blair, McMillan and Marr come in for Wylie, Collins, Norris, Craigie, Mitchell, Steeves, Gibson and Smith. I'm expecting a lot more from the team in this match against our old affiliates.

We got off to a horrible start once again when Turner volleyed home early on after an Agnew cross. We equalised in the 17th minute when Auriemma struck a shot along the floor from the edge of the box which went straight through the hands of Ewings and over the line. Scrappy, but we'll take it. Dumbarton nearly took the lead on the stroke of half time, but MacDonald headed Agnew's cross from the left hand side against the crossbar. After a much improved performance overall, the game went into extra time.

And after an extra time period which saw defenses largely on top, we went into the dreaded penalty shootout.

Gibson was first up for us, and he stuck his penalty away nicely into the bottom left corner. Turner then stepped up for Dumbarton and did the exact same thing. Coll then made his way to the spot and powered his penalty down the right hand side. McKerracher was up next, and he slammed his penalty right down the middle to make it 2-2. Jackson was next, and he slotted into the bottom left corner. MacDonald would convert his penalty to make it 3-3. Greig was next up, and he stuck his penalty in down the right hand side. Agnew then made no mistake, putting his penalty into the top left corner. Black then sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 5-4. Kirkpatrick stepped up knowing he had to score, and his spot kick just about beat Muir, despite him guessing the right way, sudden death. Burns then took to the spot and beat Ewings for power. Smith was next for Dumbarton, but he couldn't score! He blazed his penalty high and wide to the right hand side. We were through!

View attachment 238921View attachment 238920View attachment 238919

Much better performance from the lads that time around, and it's great to be in the next round. We just need to carry it on into our league opener against Ayr...

Sorry i haven't been updating much recently, been quite busy. Shall hopefully have an update out later today, if not, definitely tomorrow!

Would anyone like to see a continuation of this? Toying between this or trying something different, been a bit distracted recently, especially with all of these tournaments happening.

I'm dying to see how you fare in League 1! :D

AUGUST 2017

A big month for us here, we're kicking off our league campaign and then we have the cup game against Hearts at the end of the month to look forward to. It feels like weeks since we last played a game...

QUEEN'S PARK V AYR (League 1)

View attachment 235873

We did well to edge past Dumbarton in the cup, hopefully we can replicate that here. A close eye must be kept on Robbie McNab too, hopefully he doesn't come back to haunt us.

We nearly had the worst start imaginable in the 2nd minute when Quitongo's cross found Adeyemo, but his first time effort thankfully struck the crossbar and bounced out. We seemed to take that as a wake up call, and were awarded a penalty in the 8th minute when Donaldson felled Greig from behind after he was found by a superb ball from Davison. Donaldson was given his marching orders for the challenge, and may feel aggrieved as Greig did appear to take a dive. Gibson stepped up and stuck his penalty in to make it 1-0.

We were pegged back in the 16th minute however, when Crawford headed home a McArthur free kick from 6 yards. We regained our advantage in the 29th minute, when Collins volleyed in a Smith cross from the same distance. Ayr would again restore parity on the brink of half time when McArthur headed in a Forsyth cross from the right hand side. We came forward midway through the second half, and Hutton saved well from Greig at the near post, only for the ball to fall back to Greig, who cut the ball back to Collins, only for his shot to be again saved by the scrambling Hutton, but once again the ball rebounded, allowing Collins to slam home and make it 3-2. Ayr hit back almost immediately however, when McNab found space on the edge of our box and set up McArthur, who superbly finished to level the scoring.

View attachment 235867View attachment 235866

Shame that we couldn't make our man advantage count, but for our opening league game, it's not a bad result at all.

We received some bad news in the lead up to our next game, as Stephen Hughes suffered a lower back stress fracture and will be out for 2-3 months. He wasn't really involved in the first team picture, but it's a shame nonetheless.

Smith and Collins were both named in the team of the week after their performances.

View attachment 235860

RAITH V QUEEN'S PARK (League 1)

View attachment 235859

Three changes from the draw against Ayr, as Blair, Biggart and Marr come in for Whyte, Steeves and Smith.

We'll do well to get something from this game, Raith are a very good side.

The first half passed with effectively no action, and we went into the half time break at 0-0, not bad at all...

Indeed, the second half ended in exactly the same fashion, and so concluded one of the most uneventful games of my tenure here.

View attachment 235858View attachment 235857

James Marr was named in the team of the week for his solid performance.

View attachment 235856

QUEEN'S PARK V STIRLING (League One)

View attachment 235851

Four changes from the draw against Raith, with Wylie, Whyte, Steeves and Smith replacing Collins, Craigie, Biggart and Marr.

Stirling currently sit top of the league, so i'd certainly take a third draw in a row right now.

The first real chance of the game came deep into first half stoppage time, when Berry found Greig at the near post with a corner, who chipped the ball to Whyte at the edge of the area, Whyte brought the ball down and struck a shot into the bottom left corner to give us a 1-0 lead going into the break.

It took until the 74th minute for Stirling to mount a serious attack, and unfortunately it paid dividends, as a scrap inside the box led to the ball falling to Coulson, who smashed it past Muir to level the scoring. The lads were tiring at this point, and Smith and Davison were both playing with knocks. Stirling would take advantage of this, as Wilson drilled a low corner in and found Burns, who stroked the ball in first time to give Stirling the lead.

View attachment 235850View attachment 235849

Very disappointing to lose it so late, but it had probably been coming.

Davison's injury turned out to be a damaged elbow, sustained after landing heavily, and he will be out for 3 weeks. Everyone else escaped without any serious injury.

HEARTS V QUEEN'S PARK (Scottish League Cup 2nd Round)

View attachment 235848

Six changes from the defeat to Stirling, as Burns, Collins, Mitchell, Craigie, Coll and Marr replace Wylie, Davison, Whyte, Blair, Steeves and Smith.

We're not expecting much at all here, we'll do well to keep the score down to 1 or 2 nil.

And we didn't make a good start in doing that, as straight from kick off, a long ball by Suliman was flicked on by Sow to Oliver, who finessed it round Muir at the near post to make it 1-0 after a mere 12 seconds. Things got worse for us in the 25th minute, when Popescu found space down the left flank and drilled a cross in to Pallardo, who easily finished to double Hearts' advantage. We were facing an absolute mauling, and it was 3-0 after 35 minutes when Pallardo set up Sow, who curled the ball in from just inside the area.

We snatched a goal back not long into the second half however, when Collins curled in to the top right corner from the edge of the box after being laid off by Greig. Our chances of getting back into the game took a blow in the 67th minute however, when Blair foolishly lunged in from behind on Dow, and received his marching orders for his troubles, meaning Berry was now having to fill in as an auxiliary centre back. The resulting free kick led to a corner, which was headed towards goal by McKay, the ball struck the underside of the bar, hit Muir and guttingly went over the line.

We weren't going down easily however, and a good passing move led to Burns reaching the byline and cutting the ball back to Marr, who easily fired home to make it 4-2. Unfortunately Hearts would catch us on the counter attack in the 80th minute, and Dow would finish off the move, making it 5-2. We almost hit right back in the 82nd minute, when Marr slipped in Burns, but he hit his shot straight at the keeper. The resulting corner from Burns found the head of Collins, but his effort was superbly denied by Henderson.

View attachment 235847View attachment 235846

A very poor start from us, but we improved as the game went on, and our task wasn't made any easier by going down to 10 men, plenty of positives to take from this game.

Tough start to life in League 1, but every point counts towards survival! :D