TV Comedy Awards

Redders

Get in the Van.
Reaction score
Little Britain beat Ricky Gervais' Extras to best TV comedy of 2005 at the 16th annual British Comedy Awards.
David Walliams and Matt Lucas' BBC show won for the second year running. The pair also took the first Ronnie Barker writer of the year award.

Gervais also lost out as best TV comedy actor, but co-star Ashley Jensen, who plays Maggie, won two awards - best comedy actress and best newcomer.

Chris Langham of Help and The Thick of It won best actor.

List of winners
Receiving her award Ashley Jensen said: "I'm a wee bit speechless and anyone who knows me knows that's an accomplishment."

Backstage, she added: "I'm completely blown away by the whole thing. It's a dream. I'm happy I won but the prize was getting my job so anything else is a big bonus."

I'm not confident about this award show

Ricky Gervais

Ant and Dec and awards host Jonathan Ross lost out to Paul O'Grady for ITV1's The Paul O'Grady show in the award for best comedy entertainment personality.

But they did pick up the people's choice award for ITV1's Saturday Night Takeaway from Robbie Williams.

Victoria Wood and Julie Walters were honoured with an outstanding achievement award for their work together over the past 25 years.

Walters said: "It's very special, we go back a very long way."

ITV1's talent show the X Factor won best comedy entertainment programme, beating both the BBC's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and Saturday Night Takeaway.

Channel 4's Shameless was named best TV comedy drama.

Record nominations

The Simpsons took the gong for best international comedy TV show after bagging the same title last year.

As well as scooping an award in the comedy actor category, BBC4's Downing Street satire The Thick of It was also named best new TV comedy of 2005.

Extras had a record five nominations at this year's awards but it lost out in three of those.

X Factor hosts celebrate their programme's award

Before Gervais found he had lost his gong for comedy actor, new comedy and best comedy he told the audience: "I'm not confident about this award show.

"I nearly didn't come tonight...I've got quite a bit of this plastic at home."

He said he could not believe Peep Show had not been nominated for best comedy, adding: "It's a debacle. Just because it does not follow EastEnders or Coronation Street... It's the best show on TV."

The third series of sketch show Little Britain, with characters such as Thai Bride Ting Tong, MP Sir Norman Fry and over-zealous local Neighbourhood Watch chairman Sid Pegg, recently made its debut on BBC One.

Little Britain began life on Radio 4 before moving to the digital channel BBC3, and then onto BBC One.

Winners

Actor
Chris Langham (Help, The Thick of It)

Actress
Ashley Jensen (Extras)

Entertainment personality
Paul O'Grady (The Paul O'Grady Show)

Newcomer
Ashley Jensen (Extras)

New TV comedy
The Thick Of It

TV comedy
Little Britain

TV comedy drama
Shameless

Entertainment programme
The X Factor

International show
The Simpsons

Film
Festival

Thefat ugly twats right, Peep SHow is the greatest show ever! Its made 3 series without gettin ****! Infact its got better

Little Britian isn't as funny anymore. Ricky Gervais should won something >_>

rrr I hate ricky Gervais! thats his whole comedy thing as well, making a **** of himself.

Redders said:
Entertainment programme
The X Factor

How on earth did this win, after the auditions when all the **** people are there, it's just ****....

For the judges throwing water all over each other i believe :|

Ricky Gervais > Peep Show

phew

im glad youre saying that redders becuase youre taste is awful,

yes Ricky Gervais is not funny. His 'comedy' just depresses me. Peep Show should have won something. It is not the best show ever but its better than shows like Shameless.

Shameless is quality aswell. Peep show sucks, the guy is only funny when talking on a talk show.

I think ricky gervais is mint and shameless, i aint seen extra's but i LUVED the office, never seen peep show though

Oh i forgot i thought the best part of the show was homer :D

The Office was hilarious, but Extras was a little boring. Probably the funniest bit in the whole series was when Les Dennis was sat naked.

Peep Show is good, surprised it wasn't nominated :(

Peep show is genius, its sooooo funny! I actually want series 3 to end....but just so I can get it on dvd

:eek: Sean u watch peep show

Homer was great. The jokes were funny. Does the voice actor right in the simpsons or did someone else write his jokes. It was very funny.

Gregor said:
phew

im glad youre saying that redders becuase youre taste is awful,

:haha: That has to be the greatest thing you've ever said Gregor. Peep Show is great, I just always forget to watch it.

Gregor said:
:eek: Sean u watch peep show

You say that everytime I mention Peep Show. Yes I watch it!

Peep Show was average tnoight until the last 5 mins, pure genius!