TV loophole angers Premier League

In Argentina the state pays for the rights to the games and shows every one for free on public television. Why not have the BBC, the largest state-run media company in the world, do the same? Sure it would cost a fortune to get the TV rights, but they would nearly make up for it in advertising money. It would also drive ratings way up for other shows on the same channel, which would increase advertising money. They would operate at a loss but why not? Football should be for the people. The fans are ultimately the ones that pay outrageous prices for merchandise and tickets, so why not reward them by letting them support their teams?

Also, why not have an option available online???? There are tons of fans, especially overseas, that would pay a lot of money to see a high quality stream of their favorite teams. The Turkish league does this. Instead, they choose to shut down rojadirecta and adt so that people overseas have no options to follow their teams, no matter what they'd be willing to pay. It's an outrage!

In Argentina the state pays for the rights to the games and shows every one for free on public television. Why not have the BBC, the largest state-run media company in the world, do the same? Sure it would cost a fortune to get the TV rights, but they would nearly make up for it in advertising money. It would also drive ratings way up for other shows on the same channel, which would increase advertising money. They would operate at a loss but why not? Football should be for the people. The fans are ultimately the ones that pay outrageous prices for merchandise and tickets, so why not reward them by letting them support their teams?

Also, why not have an option available online???? There are tons of fans, especially overseas, that would pay a lot of money to see a high quality stream of their favorite teams. The Turkish league does this. Instead, they choose to shut down rojadirecta and adt so that people overseas have no options to follow their teams, no matter what they'd be willing to pay. It's an outrage!

Because the BBC are more concerned with keeping with tradition, and fleecing people with what i consider to be an illegal tax, and pampering themselves with nice salaries, and wasting the money to spend fortunes on unneccessary amounts of staffing during sporting events to show off. They're tight arsed pr***s to be honest. Thats why i stopped paying it and got rid of the tv. They're a bunch of stuck up crettins

The BBC doesn't show adverts in the middle of programming, so they wouldn't make that much back from advertising. They should do something like you mentioned anyway. Pay your TV license, and for what? Eastenders.

---------- Post added at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Because the BBC are more concerned with keeping with tradition, and fleecing people with what i consider to be an illegal tax, and pampering themselves with nice salaries, and wasting the money to spend fortunes on unneccessary amounts of staffing during sporting events to show off. They're tight arsed pr***s to be honest. Thats why i stopped paying it and got rid of the tv. They're a bunch of stuck up crettins

This. BBC should be a private firm. Sooner the better.

I mean, where else in on this planet, do you have to pay for a license, to watch programmes on a PC, even when you don't have a tv?! Finding it hard not to go on a rant here lol.
I mean I don't normally condone it, but when you're being so heavily punished wise cash wise, to pay for something you love so much, it's no surprise people have to watch it via "other means". I can see in the next few years, something will change. For the better, not holding my breath, but I hope its for the better.

I mean, where else in on this planet, do you have to pay for a license, to watch programmes on a PC, even when you don't have a tv?! Finding it hard not to go on a rant here lol.
I mean I don't normally condone it, but when you're being so heavily punished wise cash wise, to pay for something you love so much, it's no surprise people have to watch it via "other means". I can see in the next few years, something will change. For the better, not holding my breath, but I hope its for the better.

You can do this with PL games? How about La Liga? I don't live in Europe and really want to watch La Liga on the internet (good quality, and I'm willing to pay). What's my best option?

You can do this with PL games? How about La Liga? I don't live in Europe and really want to watch La Liga on the internet (good quality, and I'm willing to pay). What's my best option?

Thats the thing. You only get programmes on the BBC websites (as far as I know-so if anybody knows better just correct me lol), and they're pretty much repeats. It's classed as a device capable of recieving a tv picture, so the BBC decided to make it law you have to pay a license for it.

The BBC doesn't show adverts in the middle of programming, so they wouldn't make that much back from advertising. They should do something like you mentioned anyway. Pay your TV license, and for what? Eastenders.

---------- Post added at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

I've only seen the BBC a few times before but if you think it's bad you should watch American television...absolute garbage. I actually wished we had something like the BBC in America. Our public television is actually really good...it's very educational, has good kids programs, and the news is much, much better than the network news. Have you guys seen CNN? Or Fox??? They confirm a lot of American stereotypes.

I've only seen the BBC a few times before but if you think it's bad you should watch American television...absolute garbage. I actually wished we had something like the BBC in America. Our public television is actually really good...it's very educational, has good kids programs, and the news is much, much better than the network news. Have you guys seen CNN? Or Fox??? They confirm a lot of American stereotypes.

The only good thing the BBC do well I admit are documentaries. And the news is extremely biased. For example, the day after 9/11, they had an American government guy, and the audience was full of people who were very anti-american-was sickening. They have channels that people hardly watch because they're absolute garbage, too many radio stations, and the rest are either terrible, very politcally correct or repeats. I may watch match of the day sometimes, but only when at my mates (as no TV here lol).

But I admit, Sky did ruin it too, by buying the rights to the football, so theres very little free footie now. So the real fans are pretty much screwerd.

Last edited:

Nah cant say i agree, its the only consistent decent channel with good standards. You know if your going to watch a documentary/drama on BBC its going to be moderately good. ITV is pretty poor these days, most programmes are copies of BBC's, Channel 4 has its highlights and the only good thing about channel 5 is 'The Wright Stuff'! Rest of the channels are repeats 80% of the time with adverts every 10 minutes. Viewers ratings says it all, may mock eastenders but it gets 6-10 million views!
The fee sky charge pubs is astronomical no surprise that some look for illegal alternatives.

Scottish football needs more money pumped into it.

Nah cant say i agree, its the only consistent decent channel with good standards. You know if your going to watch a documentary/drama on BBC its going to be moderately good. ITV is pretty poor these days, most programmes are copies of BBC's, Channel 4 has its highlights and the only good thing about channel 5 is 'The Wright Stuff'! Rest of the channels are repeats 80% of the time with adverts every 10 minutes. Viewers ratings says it all, may mock eastenders but it gets 6-10 million views!
The fee sky charge pubs is astronomical no surprise that some look for illegal alternatives.

Don't they also charge pubs based on the size of the property too? Sure I heard that mentioned

Yes I've seen those channels. Fox news is seriously comical. :) But I don't believe in public companies with the exception of healthcare and education, the private sector is almost always going to produce the better product at a more efficient price. You pay your TV license, and you get nothing extra from the BBC that a traditional channel couldn't give you. Okay, they have no adverts, but I couldn't care less about that, I rarely watch the BBC anyway.

Think I may be better off gettin a cheaper tv, nip over to greece and get a cheap card and come back and watch the footie lol. I don't blame people watchin streams, but I can't bring myself to do it tbh.