Benn94

Reaction score
Ok, so im new to Football manager and i usually just download a tactic. However the tactic pages usually suggest that I should tweak the tactic to fit my players. I can figure out what players suit which roles, i just dont really understand how im suppose to tweak it.

I thought maybe my assistant manager can help. He sometimes tells me that for example, Liam Ridgewell is use to playing a more direct game. Is this the type of thing i neeed to tweak to get the best out of my tactic?

I've never tweaked the tactic because i've always thought, if i tweak it to make certain players close down more or play a more direct game, it will spoil the whole tactic.

Hope some of you are catching my drift.
In short, how do I tweak a tactic? What needs to be taken into concideration?
If anyone needs to know, I will be using Matti's Goal Machine 11.3
Thanks in advance

you need to edit the players PI's (personal instructions) exactly what you want them to do, this is imperitive to get the best out of them and their stats! you cannot ask a Cm to shoot from long range often if his long shot stat is like 3 :)

it won't spoil the whole tactic, if you start changing everything then yes it may, but making a few clever/realistic changes to suit your players and your squad is needed for most tactics!

think of the type of football you want to play, what formations you like the most, narrow, wide, quick, slow etc

I would suggest a different tactic to this one you want to use :) unless this is the formation you really like!

cheers

I love the formation but ive just found a 4-3-3 spain style tactic so im going to use this. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Generally you need to make sure your players are up to the tasks you set them. At first this will seem confusing and overwhelming, but use common sense: if a player is instructed to close down all over the pitch while he has low stamina, he'll be tired early and contributing little to attacking play. Players instructed to do a lot of dribbling, through balls and long shots will need good attributes for those areas. Likewise if your anchor man is a creative player it may be beneficial to increase his passing range and allow him to attempt through balls to get the best out of him.

I usually try to make my own tactics, first setting general settings and then playing a few friendlies watching the whole match. There you can spot the flaws and correct them. If you find you're being exposed on the counter, get one or two defensive midfielders to stay back - lower their closing down at least to "own half" and perhaps lower their mentality. You want your fullbacks to be involved more in attacking play? Notch up their "runs from deep" and "runs with ball" settings a little. Your playmaker is a great creative passer but not a good dribbler? Don't let him run with the ball as much, but make sure he gets some freedom and is allowed to play through balls. Your winger is a better shot than a crosser, perhaps have him cut inside instead of sticking to the byline. You want your support striker - or lone striker if you want a false 9 - linking up and pressing the way Rooney does? Give him a defensive mentality and make sure he closes down all over the pitch. The possibilities are pretty much limitless.