U.S. Città di Palermo - La Cosa Nostra

ChristopherWH

Reaction score

My name is Vincenzo Motisi and I just came back to Palermo, Sicily.
Due to some difficulties with the government, my family had to leave when I was still young.
Now, 10 years later, things have calmed down and I have decided to move back, back home.
It is like a dream come true to me you know, I always remembered the people, the food and my love, calcio.
Of course there is only room for one club in my heart, the team of my hometown, U.S. Città di Palermo.

After getting settled in one of my family's estates here on the island, I asked two of my most trusted employees to get me a meeting with Maurizio Zamparini, chairman and owner of the rosanero.
He invited me to have dinner with him the very next day.

It was late, but still light out, after all it was only june.
Zamparini stood outside his door as we drove through the gate to his house.

Maurizio Zamparini: Buona sera signore Motisi!
Vincenzo Montisi:
Buona sera Maurizio.

As I expected, dinner was already served and he invited me to sit down at the end of the table.
My two employees stayed outside to sherish the view, as per my instructions.
After a good meal I decided it was time for business.

Montisi:
So, Maurizio, I have a proposal for you.
Zamparini: Yes, what kind of proposal?
Montisi: I want in on the club, well actually my father wants in on the ownership, I want to manage.
Zamparini: Uhm well, it's not up for sale really...
Montisi: Oh well I think it is, don't you agree?
Zamparini: I guess... Well yes of course! It's too much for me to handle to be honest. Heh...
Montisi: Good, we do not want all of it, you will still be kept as chairman and the board will stay as it is, we just want in on the profit and will mostly leave it up to you to see to it.
Zamparini: Yes of course. You also said you wanted to manage, what do you mean?
Montisi: I want to lead the team, I want to coach them.
Zamparini: Well I guess that can be arranged, we will just have to contact our current manager and discuss it with him.
Montisi: No need, I have already taken care of it, he is at the airport leaving sicily as we speak.
Zamparini: Very well then I guess there is a vacancy then, you got the position.
Montisi: Great, my lawyers will go over the buy with you later this week. It was a lovely dinner, I will leave now. Ciao!

I am glad the deal was done as smoothly as possible, he looked a bit sweaty but that is normal. As I stepped into my car and I was taken back home, it was finally getting dark out, the sun setting to a black and pink sky.

The following weeks, everything was set in place, I took over as manager of the club in my heart.
I got rid of a lot of coaches and staff that I deemed surplus or useless, and brought in some new faces to assist me in getting this team on the right track. A bit annoying that I could not travel to see them face to face, the ones I wanted to hire. It is not good for me to make that kind of impression all the time I guess, this meant we did not get the best, they were not interested as we were not a top team at the moment, something I hoped to change. We got some decent men helping out though, they will go whenever someone better is available to us though, business you know?
In the past couple of seasons two of our star players have left us, Edinson Cavani and Javier Pastore, so I'm left with what is left.
Hopefully my scouts will be able to find me a new star in the next couple of seasons.
Until then, we will have to make due with a pretty low amount of money for transfers. My father was not very keen on helping out seeing as the club is in heavy debt, and he would prefer not to have too much capital in Italy at the time being.

These are the transfers we have finished this window.

Out
Rubinho - Lazio €1 Million
Giacomo Brichetto - Bari Loan €40K
Matías Aguirregaray - Inter Co-ownership €750K (Stays with Palermo)
Edgar Barreto - SLB €6.75 Million
Nicolás Bertolo - Fulham Loan €875K

In
Marco Di Vaio - Bologna €1.2 Million
Marco Verratti - Pescara €3.3 Million
Federico Casarini - Bologna €4 Million
Alphonse Areola - PSG €3 Million
Galhardo - Flamengo €3 Million

Players were sold because they were not in my future plans and we needed the money.
Players that came in are all young and here for the future, except Di Vaio whom I signed because he's a proven goal scorer, we might need one of those. All these players will add some much needed depth to my squad.

As you might already know, we qualified for the UEFA Europa League last season, and that's what we started off this season with.
We had to play in the 3rd qualifying round against some Icelandic team.
It went pretty good.

Pa
lermo 6 - 1 ÍBV

Fabrizio Miccoli (29, 38, 48)
Ezequiel Muños Own Goal (35)
Marco Di Vaio (85, 88 Penalty)
Abel Hernández (90+2)

ÍBV 0 - 1 Palermo
Fabrizio Miccoli (35)

As I said, no problem. After we crushed them at La Favorita we did not really bring our A-game over to iceland. It was cold and wet so we just played the game out and were happy to be over with it. It was never a competition really and now we are off against yet another team I have never heard of, in the fourth qualifying round.
Some Isreali team called Bnei Yahuda from Tel-Aviv. After watching videos and having a scout over there, all I can see is that they have one decent argentinian player and nothing else. Should be a walk in the park.

That is all from me for now. I will bring you up to speed in a couple of weeks or soo, we have our Serie A premiere to look forward too. We are up against Atalanta first, over in Bergamo, and then we will host a game against Napoli in our home premiere.
Ciao!

So now August is finished and I have to say I am pretty ****** actually.
We won a friendly against Sevilla, all good, but then we went up against that Israeli team in the Europa League and had our Serie A premiere.

Palermo 2 - 2 Bnei Yehuda
Federico Casarini (61)
Josip Ilicic (64)
Elad Khatib (67, 74)

Atalanta 1 - 1 Palermo
Matias Ezequiel Schelotto (63)
Marco Di Vaio (81)

Bnei Yehuda 1 - 1 Palermo
Josip Ilicic (5)
Moshe Levi (25)

I mean seriously, what the **** was that? We lost on away goals and we are out of the competition, against an unknown team from Isreal, that is just bullshit.
That last game, the one in Isreal, they had one shot on goal and we conceded it we had 20 shots all in all and only managed to score ones, I mean come on!
I am really annoyed with these results, I am not one of those who'll say "It's not that big of a deal, now we can focus on the league" because I really always want to win everything we are in, I don't care about favorites or whatever, there is always a chance.
Bnei Yehuda just proved my point now, didn't they?

Against Atalanta it was the same thing, we completely dominated up front with 17-5 shots. Still only one goal each and a **** draw. A late goal from new signing Di Vaio saved us the point but still, we should have scored earlier.
After the last game of the month I had a little talk with the players.

Motisi: So, August finished and we went out with some pretty lousy performances, are you happy with that? We finally had a chance to prove ourselves out in Europe and we blew it!
Miccoli: I agree, and I am one of those to blame, I didn't score when I got the chance.
Di Vaio: Same here, and against such a team, I feel like we really should have one. I am ashamed.
Motisi: Good, so am I, ashamed. Let us use that and improve for future games.

September

After a month that didn't go quite as planned, I had a chat with all the lads individually and it seems like they're fired up for this coming month.
Well, it's one thing to say it, another to show it so let's see what we can achieve with some more spirit.

Palermo 3 - 0 Napoli
Abel Hernández (8, 18, 52)

A good solid win at home with Hernández cast as the star this evening.
Napoli is one of the stronger teams this season, at least on paper, but here on Sicily they stood no chance at all.
The victory was well deserved with Napoli only managing one shot on goal.

Parma 2 - 0 Palermo
Sergio Floccari (2)
Stefana Okaka (85)

They got an early goal and we struggled from there on out. We were on the back foot all game long, this time against a team that is supposedly weaker than the Napoli we beat last time.
The second goal came only due to our eagerness to get an equalizer.

Palermo 2 - 1 Cagliari
Abel Hernández (52, 90+3)
Mauricio Pinilla (71)

We were a bit lucky with this win I have to say, Abel got a goal in the very last second of the game, very well done of him to be on his toes all game through.
A bit of a moral killer that Pinilla scored their goal, seeing as he is there on a loan from us.
All in all a good three pointer seeing as Cagliari probably were more deserving of it.

Chievo 4 - 0 Palermo
Dario Dainelli (34)
Sergio Pellissier (37, 85)
Alberto Paloschi (88)

Now what the **** is this?
Conceding four goals against Chievo.
Then again they're actually unbeaten soo far in the league and Coppa Italia, so they are probably doing something right.
No use in letting our heads drop after this, we have to pick ourselves up and do better, there is nothing else to do, I can't blame any one player for this and I certainly hope they're not thinking of blaming me for the whole of it.

Pansieri

One thing you might notice here is that we actually have won all both games at home this month, and lost both our away games.
No foul play going on mind you, we are just proving a stronger force here on our island. It's good, I feel comfortable at home and the players does as well, now we just have to improve our game away from home, while retaining our stronghold here in Palermo.
I'm also planning on ahead for the next season, and I'm going to send scouts out to look for some strikers that can replace Di Vaio and Miccoli when they're too old to perform at this level. Which might be soon if we play well this season and need some more strength for Europe. Shout out if you have any ideas.

Interesting story, may I just ask where you got those pictures from and is there similar "badges" for other teams?
Other than that, keep it up. Will be following!

Interesting story, may I just ask where you got those pictures from and is there similar "badges" for other teams?
Other than that, keep it up. Will be following!

Thank you Kytz!
The icons are the icons I have in the game, I just looked them up in the graphics folder. I think it's either the most downloaded icon pack on Fm-Base or the second most downloaded one, I can't recall exactly.

And the other pictures are simple googled pictures.

Lovely layout and it's interesting to see you get knocked out, you probably could've gone far if you'd have gotten past the Israeli's!

Keep this up mate! :)

Lovely layout and it's interesting to see you get knocked out, you probably could've gone far if you'd have gotten past the Israeli's!

Keep this up mate! :)

Thank you. Yes that was a bit of a let down really.
And soo far it hasn't given us much of a push in the league either, losing every other game is starting to get annoying, no consistency what so ever. But I'll have to work it through, we're not expected to compete for the CL spots either so I don't think I'll get sacked just yet.

Still can't believe I lost to a team from Isreal, and it wasn't even the single one I've ever heard of either... They only had one player that wasn't grayed out as well.

Palermo%2520-%2520In%2520Game%2520Icon.png

October

32.png

Palermo 2 - 1 Fiorentina
Abel Hernández (9)
Ezequiel Muñoz (67)
Mattia Cassani (86)

Another home win, this time against Fiorentina, a pretty decent time if I may say so, a few players there I'd like to bring over to my island some time. One of them is there on loan from us, remember how that ended last time? Well it did again, he scored of course, Cassani, annoying indeed.
But we won in the end anyway so who am I to complain?

Bologna 0 - 2 Palermo
Ezequiel Muñoz (22)
Daniele Portanova O.G. (72)

Neither team impressed, and it was even in all stats but the goals.
Another goal for our central defender, Muñoz, good for him and us.
Oh and our first back to back win this season, great! It has gotten me in a good mood, I'll treat the team to dinner at my friends restaurant in town tomorrow evening.

Corriere%2520Della%2520Sera.png

Recent witnesses have reported that American-Italian mobster, John Gambino have been sighted in Palermo the last couple of days.
After going un-noticed for most of the time, he was seen celebrating with new U.S. Cittá di Palermo boss, Vincenzo Motisi in a restaurant in Palermo after the clubs recent win against Bologna.
Motisi who's father is on Italy's most wanted list since years back, but is on the run in an unknown location.
When our reporters contacted the club to get some information they responded

"Signore Motisi was merely eating in a restaurant and ran into signore Gambino on accident. Motisi had no knowledge at the moment who Gambino was and their conversation were about calcio and the club, nothing else. No further comments".

The police states that neither Gambino nor Motisi is wanted for any crimes in Italy and that they do not intend to investigate their meeting.

32.png

Palermo 0 - 1 Siena
Gaetano D'Agostino Penalty (25)

A devestating defeat, our first at home, and it came against Siena.
The beauty of calcio eh, you can never know what will happen, or so they say.
We were dominant from start to finish, a cheap penalty came their way and we didn't manage to score on our chances, pathetic.
I'm really annoyed, and it seems Hernández is the only one on our team that can score, oh and Muñoz for some reason.

Roma 1 - 0 Palermo
Pablo Osvaldo (62)

Oh and there were our first back to back losses.
We never really stood a chance against Roma though, they had us right where they wanted us all game long, and after they scored they just parked the buss in front of goal and passed the ball around.
We got tired and lost our edge.
A damned loss but one I can live with.

Roma%2520-%2520Pablo%2520Osvaldo.jpg

Pablo Osvaldo - Scoring, annoying and fined for fake-shooting at the crowd

Palermo 1 - 2 Inter
Walter Samuel O.G. (10)
Esteban Cambiasso (44)
Giampaolo Pazzini (54)

Well, what is there to say?
Another home loss, third loss in a row. Against a strong team this time around though, but still.
I do not like being outplayed like this, especially not in front of all our fans. In seasons to come I hope that we can start building from the back, I need some strong defenders. Viviano has been out soo far though, since before I got here, perhaps he can bring us some stability when he returns, one can hope right?

Palermo%2520-%2520In%2520Game%2520Icon.png

The End of the Year

32.png

Juventus 2 - 0 Palermo
Eljero Elia (31)
Mirko Vucinic (80)

A class difference if I ever saw one. Simple as that, we stood no chance what so ever to beat them, or even get a draw. A deserved loss for us. I'm not glad about it, but still, it was soo sad that I almost laughed.

Palermo 3 - 1 Novara
Abel Hernández (3, 87)
Matías Silvestre (53)
Leandro Rinaudo (62)

This is amusing, another ex-Palermo player scoring against us. Karma? I don't know.
Still, we turned this **** around and once again we are back on track with a win.
Against Novara I had expected nothing else though, that would've annoyed me a bit too much I think.
An easy win really, they didn't stand up very well. Hernández is continuing to be our best player.

Lecce 1 - 4 Palermo
Marco Verratti Penalty (12)
Josip Ilicic (25)
Marco Di Vaio (43)
Armin Bacinovic (51)
Edward Ofere (86)

Another big win, away from home this time, and once again we played really well actually.
After the first goal by Verratti I never had reason to fear this game. That was his first for the club so I'm glad he got that one out of the way, even if it was on a penalty. A young player like that might crack when that happens, he didn't, I'm impressed.

Palermo 0 - 0 Catania

A derby draw. Boring game wise but there were some trouble out in the streets after this Sicily derby.
Not much to say about the game, we had a small advantage but neither of us scored so it doesn't matter really.

Palermo%2520Ultras%25203.jpg

Palermo and Catania Ultras - Fighting occured both before and after the game 14 men needed medical care

Giornale%2520Di%2520Sicilia.png

After the game between Palermo and Catania shots were fired as Palermo boss Vincenzo Motisi's limousine was attacked by Catania supporters who threw rock at the car.
One man was killed while three were injured, all from a Catania Ultras group.
No gun has been found and no witnesses can point out the gunman or men.
Police officer Riccardo Martinetti says:

"As we have no leads nor witnesses there is not much we can do but keep our eyes open. We ask that anyone with information steps forward and tell us about it. The attack seemed to have been provoked when Signore Motisi's car was attacked."

We also talked to a Mattia Rossi, a car engineer who had this to say:

"The car of signore Motisi is most obviously re-inforced in some way, as you can see here (pointing at pictures of the car after the attack) there is barely a dent, and the windows are completely without cracks even after being attacked by rocks. Why he has done this? I don't know, but it's an expensive job to be sure."

We tried to reach Signore Montisi for a comment but we were not able to reach him.

32.png

Udinese 3 - 0 Palermo
Neuton (26)
Díego Colotto (81)
Antonio Di Natale (90)

A close game up until the last 10 minutes when I decided to throw all we had forward to try and get something out of this game. It back-fired and we conceded two late goals.
A case of an unjust result, score-wise at least.
What's even worse is that Hernández got injured and is expected to be out for about a month and a week.

Palermo 2 - 1 Genoa
Galhardo (17)
Marco Di Vaio (33)
Miguel Veloso (72)

Yet another close one, we were lucky to get away with three points today.
We played very well in the first half, but got a bit too content with that and did poorly in the second half with them getting a reducing goal. They almost got a draw out of this in the late minutes but thankfully we managed to keep it tight enough until the bell rang.
We are climbing a bit in the league.

Palermo 1 - 1 Cesena
Federico Casarini (39)
Marco Parolo (52)

It's funny how one day you can win a close game and the next day you draw a game where you're totally dominating.
That was the case here. They had a single shot on goal and we conceded it, I'm longing for Viviano. This greek fellow we have between the posts really sucks at the moment. I played Areola earlier this season and he did better until he got injured, of course, he'll be back in less than a week now though, a bit earlier than Viviano.
Meaning he'll get some more experience before the main man comes back fully fit.

League%2520Table%2520December%25202011.png

A decent league position soo far. I'd like us to climb up to Europa League spots at the end of the season though, that's the step we need to take to grow. Consistent European competitions.
I do not find it amusing that we have conceded more than we have scored, but that'll change, hopefully.
Lazio is really disappointing soo far this season, being dead last. Genoa and Napoli are not fulfilling their potential either. Nothing I'm too sad about though, even though Napoli is a big team that should be in Serie A.
The three top teams seems to be a class better than the rest, with them having the CL spots rather safe in their hands. Chievo is a bit of an over achiever soo far, coming in at 5th place, really well done.

Player%2520Stats%2520December%25202011.png

Well done by Hernández to keep us afloat with his 8 goals soo far this season, especially considering his injury.
He's in a shared 1st place in the scoring charts. He is the only one of our players even close to the top on any lists here, with scoring and MoM awards. With some more consistent performances I hope I can get some more names up on those lists, except the red card one of course haha.

Well, happy new years! Salute!

I have faith that you can easily move up the table i nthe latter half of the season. The table hasn't taken proper shape yet as I'd expect Cesena, Chievo and maybe Udinese to finish below you so if you keep at it, you should have at least a Europa League place next season! :)

View attachment 259951

January

32.png

Lazio 3 - 0 Palermo
Miroslav Klose (63)
Tommaso Rocchi (78)
Álvaro González (86)

The new year didn't start off as planned as we fell hard against Lazio.
It was a tightly contested game up until they got their first goal, the air went out of us and they got another two before the game was over. A lack of fighting spirit perhaps, or perhaps I gave them too long of a christmas vacation, they came back a bit sluggish.
Extra practice the coming weeks due to **** ****** result.

1301412.png

Palermo 3 - 1 Catania
Marco Di Vaio (38)
Matías Silvestre (42)
Mariano Izco (53)
Mariano Izco Red Card (69)
Igor Budan (90+1)

We qualified for the next round in the coppa, nicely done, in a derby none the less.
It got a bit sweaty after their goal but as the scorer later got sent off, we had this one in our pockets.
A late score by sub Budan put it well beyond doubt.

Transfer news

Palermo has signed French striker Olivier Giroud for €15 Million.
This is what the striker had to say:

"I'm very glad to join Palermo here on Sicily. At first I didn't know if it would be the right choice for me, but after Signore Motisi flew to Montpellier and had a chat with me, I could see his visions and I really wanted to be a part of it. As soon as my former club accepted the bid I was very happy and the contract negotiations went smoothly. I now hope to be an integral part of this team, and to score many a goal of course!"

Palermo%2520-%2520Olivier%2520Giroud.jpg

Olivier Giroud - Palermo's new striker

32.png

Palermo 0 - 1 A.C. Milan
Pato (87)

Now that was ******* terrible. We had all the chances but one, that they scored on.
Verratti managed to miss a penalty as well, not good enough.
A game we should've lost on paper, a game we showed that we deserved to win on the field.
A game we lost.

Palermo 3 - 1 Atalanta
Josip Ilicic (23)
Abel Hernández (45)
Matias Ezequiel Schelotto (49)
Marco Verratti Penalty (57)

A good comfortable win against an impotent Atalanta.
Good to see Verratti have the mental strength to once again walk up to the penalty spot after missing in the last game. This time he didn't, good head on that boy.
New star signing Giroud didn't manage to score but atleast got a nice assist to Hernández goal.
Giroud came free with the goalkeeper just to slip the ball to Abel who came running from the deep, selfless and beautiful.

1301412.png

Palermo 3 - 2 Inter
Abel Hernández (25)
Giampaolo Pazzini (27, 28)
Olivier Giroud (30)
Josip Ilicic (36)

A super intense first half in a hard fought cup game!
We got a pretty early goal from Abel and I started to hope. But when Pazzini score twice in two minutes after that I didn't know what to think. And only a couple of minutes after that, Giroud decided to present himself to our fans with a nice goal where he fought off both Ranocchia and Lúcio before powering it in.
Josip Ilicic got a header in a bit later and after that the game kind of died out.
Great to have qualified yet again though, I'm starting to hope for a title!

32.png

Napoli 0 - 1 Palermo
Josip Ilicic (58)

Oh it's always tought o come to San Paolo and Napoli.
They are down in the league, not winning much at all, and today I noticed why.
We got one shot on goal, and managed to score.
Napoli really had the game all along up until the last 10 minutes or so, but they are indecisive and even though they had a bunch of shots, and many of them on goal, there were no really super scary things going on.
And now they have kind of sold their only hope as Hamsik went to Manchester City and Cavani to Arsenal, both this January. They have to get some new men fast.

Transfers

A couple of other deals were made by us this transfer window as well

Out
Edgar Álvares - Free Transfer
Armin Bacinovic - Zenit €10 Million
Carlos Labrín - Luzern Loan €65K

In
Olivier Giroud - Montpellier €15 Million
Etzaz Hussain - Fredrikstad €1.7 Million

A decent window in my opinion.
We got a tall strong striker with an eye for goal, exactly what I was looking for. Giroud is very good, sure he was rather expensive, I broke the record for most money spent on a player by this club, but we have to grow and I see him as an integral part of our future.
Etzaz, a diamond in the rough, he is an excellent passer who's more mature than his age gives away. The only downside soo far is his physique, he'll have to hit the gym a bit more than the others, and get a taste for Italian home cooking. He'll do alright.
The only player I didn't really want to sell was Bacinovic, he's really good and young, a man for the future. But the money we got for him was much needed, and I honestly think that Zenit payed an over price for him, good for us.

Please comment on the players bought and sold, to give me some info about what you think about them.

Giroud is a good buy! Nice run in the Cup too, winning that will make up for the Europa League, I'm sure you can do it! :)

Giroud is a good buy! Nice run in the Cup too, winning that will make up for the Europa League, I'm sure you can do it! :)

Thank you!

Yes I have faith as well, I'm up against Napoli next so hopefully that'll turn out good. I'm very happy to have signed Giroud as well, I didn't think he would be interested but he's a player type I was looking for as Budan really isn't that good and both Di Vaio and Miccoli have been very disappointing to me.
I'm glad I got Norweigan Etzaz Hussain as well, I signed him once for Aston Vill and he did good. Terrific passer to say the least, and potential to boot.

And almost like a new signing, Viviano is FINALLY(!!!) back from his 7 month injury. A bit more stability now please haha.

Etzaz looks an interesting player, not heard much about him on FM if I'm honest. Watch him score the winner in the cup final now! Haha! :D

This story is absolutely brilliant! Keep up the good work. I also love the little back story you have added

Back