dgoacher

Reaction score
For my first season with Brighton & Hove Albion I move all my U18 players to the U21, then I select any player is 18 or under and make them available for U18 fixtures. I thought that it will allow the players with greater potential to get more game time and rotation if for example many U21 players were injured some of my rubbish U18 could fill in and get game time too. I've noticed that I've got some of the best coaching staff but no players being coached, so I assume that all my 1st team, u21 & U18 are being coached by my 1st team & U21 coaches?

Does anything see any disadvantages to what I am doing (training/match/development) and in affect it might not be worth replacing my U18 staff if they aren't training anyone?

Pretty sure U18's players automatically can get picked for U21 fixtures anyway, I would leave them with the Under 18's

Correct me if I am wrong, though this is how I normally do things.

Basically in most clubs, if not all, there's pretty much three sets of staff - namely Main Team, U21, and U18. E.g. First Team Coach, U21 Coach and U18 Coach.

Now, u would think that they work closely with their respective team, e.g. U21 coaches obviously work with the U21 team. However, the First Team Coaches ALSO work with the U21 team. This is shown if u go the U21 team, go to training, and then coaches. You will see the First Team Coaches name as well as the U21 coaches.

Then, what difference you may ask? Simple, ANY First Team Coaches are way better than any U18 Coach that you will hire. So essentially, the youngsters or whoever u put in your U21 team, works with the first team coaches as well - i.e. if you are a Man Utd First Team coach, you don't just train the likes of Rooney and Carrick, you train the so-called youngsters such as Fosu-Mensah.

That being say, U18 coaches are still important though I can't really pinpoint any advantage to having them. I usually only promote the ones that are highly rated by the coaches to U21 and give them specific training. The rest of the "average" ones can just leave it to U18.

If you look into the teams training regimes, some teams like AC Milan have shared Youth training and others like Ajax have co opted training where 1 team trains with the senior team and 1 doesn't, the coaches train players depending on facilities as for the playing time, keep your under18s in that team and make the worst players available for the under21s as they might come on as subs at the least or if that doesn't work just move them to that squad.