U21 Squad for European Championships

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
PEARCE LEAVES OUT TOP DUO

Jack Wilshere and Andy Carroll were on Monday controversially omitted from the England squad for next month's European Under-21 Championship finals.

Stuart Pearce left out Arsenal midfielder Wilshere and Liverpool striker Carroll in what is a blow for England's hopes at this summer's tournament.

Pearce had been confident both would travel to the finals in Denmark upon naming them in a 40-man provisional squad earlier this month but neither have made the final 23.

It is the withdrawal of Wilshere that will hurt Pearce the most after the player repeatedly declared his intention to take part, despite opposition from Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.

The 19-year-old has ultimately come round to Wenger's way of thinking, according to Pearce, who said: "I spoke to Jack last week and he explained that while he told me in March that he wanted to be part of the squad, he now feels he is not in the best condition to take part in the finals.

"That is based on the number of games he has played for Arsenal this season, sports science data which Jack was presented with last week and concerns he has for his fitness looking ahead to next season.

"Jack has always expressed his enjoyment at being involved with the under-21 squad, and while I am disappointed not to have him with us for the finals I've accepted the situation."

He added: "I am very conscious of the importance of looking after all our players, and that is why I have frequent conversations with club managers throughout the season.

"I believe that representing your country in international development tournaments can be a great advantage to players, and increases the chances of being successful at senior level."

There was always some doubt over the participation of Carroll, whose position on being drafted back into the under-21s after making his senior debut was unclear.

He also reportedly expressed concern this summer's tournament could do him more harm than good after an injury-hit second half of the season and Pearce on Monday had simply one line to say about the 22-year-old: "Andy has been ruled out through injury."

Pearce's squad for the finals was as expected when taking into account Wilshere and Carroll's absences.

There were four players with senior-level experience: Manchester City's Micah Richards, Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs, Manchester United's Danny Welbeck and Sunderland's Jordan Henderson.

Frank Fielding, Michael Mancienne, Chris Smalling and Kyle Walker have all been involved in the senior team set-up also.

England's campaign begins on June 12 against Spain.

They then meet Ukraine on June 15 and finish their Group B fixtures four days later against Czech Republic.

The semi-finals and final take place the following week.

England's final warm-up friendly before they fly to Denmark is against Norway at St Mary's on June 5, less than 24 hours after the senior side play Switzerland in a Euro 2012 qualifier at Wembley.

England U-21s squad for the UEFA U21 Championship in Denmark next month:

Fielding (Derby), Steele (Middlesbrough), McCarthy (Reading)

Bertrand (Chelsea), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jones (Blackburn), Mancienne (Chelsea), Richards (Man City), Smalling (Man Utd), Walker (Tottenham)

Albrighton (Aston Villa), Cork (Chelsea), Cleverley (Man Utd), Henderson (Sunderland), Lansbury (Arsenal), Muamba (Bolton), Rodwell (Everton), Rose (Tottenham)

Sinclair (Swansea), Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Sturridge (Chelsea), Welbeck (Man Utd), Wickham (Ipswich).

Football365 | All The News | Football News | PEARCE LEAVES OUT TOP DUO

Eurgh ****.

Walkers in both England squad :/ Hes ****** for next season then :(

Don't see our Manager crying over it though tbf...

Obviously losing Wilshere and Carroll are huge blows but imo this squad looks quite good otherwise...

A defence with Richards and Smalling in it at U-21 level will always be solid

Midfield looks a class apart with Abrighton, Henderson and Rodwell

The Strike Force is fairly strong too with Delfouneso and Sturridge

Hope the England U-21s do well, make it to the semi-finals atleast

Slightly disappointed Howson didn't make the squad since it would have been a good experience for him but I'm not surprised. Probably better for Leeds anyway

**** yes.

Eurgh ****.

Walkers in both England squad :/ Hes ****** for next season then :(

Don't see our Manager crying over it though tbf...

To be fair, Walker isn't exactly first choice in the England set-up is he? He's also only made 15 PL apps, not 50.

Completely different :)

Dissapointed with no McEachran but he has enough time to make these sorts of squads. I shall be watching the matches if i can and all in all its a very good squad.

Good to see Wilshere and Carroll left out after tough domestic seasons, it would be hard on them otherwise. Though the same could be said of Walker, who's made around 40 apps this season in all. Never mind, he's not our player next season. :)

Strong squad. I look forward to see how they get on.

Glad that Lansbury is in. Helped Norwich with some important goals while on loan from Arsenal.

Kinda sad that Wilshere isn't going though. Just because Wenger needed to play Wilshere all season, he has to miss out on a great opportunity and experience.

Good to see Wilshere and Carroll left out after tough domestic seasons, it would be hard on them otherwise. Though the same could be said of Walker, who's made around 40 apps this season in all. Never mind, he's not our player next season. :)

Strong squad. I look forward to see how they get on.

36+2

20 in the Championship (not the most demanding league) and 15+1 in the PL.

To be fair, Walker isn't exactly first choice in the England set-up is he? He's also only made 15 PL apps, not 50.

Completely different :)

No, not really.

You forget that Walker made 20+ appearences for QPR this season and 20+ overall for Villa.

Doesn't really matter if hes first choice or not, hes still going to have another weeks worth of training instead of a break.

So no, not completely different :)

Last edited:
Glad that Lansbury is in. Helped Norwich with some important goals while on loan from Arsenal.

Kinda sad that Wilshere isn't going though. Just because Wenger needed to play Wilshere all season, he has to miss out on a great opportunity and experience.

Yeah. Missing out on the coveted U21 championships so he can compete in the significantly less glamerous Premier-League, Champions League, FA Cup and Euro 2012.

Very good squad anyway, with Wilshere I could see us dominating but will be good to watch anyway, more exciting than the full Englad squad IMO!

Yeah. Missing out on the coveted U21 championships so he can compete in the significantly less glamerous Premier-League, Champions League, FA Cup and Euro 2012.

He can still compete in the Euro U21 Championship and all of these regardless of how glamorous they're. Oezil seemed to cope fine doing it last time the U21 European championships came about and then was one of the stand out performers in the world cup the next summer.

Wouldn't have been fussed if Wilshere was included to be honest. Think he's perfectly capable of dealing with a large workload.

was always rooting for Wilshere to be included, U-21s or not, he will still be playing for his country

you forgot the carling cup :O

Annoying that McEachran hasn't been picked, but he can gain some more experience with the first-team in pre-season so it's not too bad.

GK
Richards/Walker Jones Smalling Rose

Albrighton Rodwell Henderson Cleverley

Welbeck Sturridge

Or

GK
Richards/Walker Jones Smalling Rose

Rodwell Henderson

Albrighton Cleverley Welbeck

Sturridge

Good team this..

Why hasn't McEachran been called up? Figured he would be Wilshere's replacement..

Back