UCL Playoffs: Arsenal vs Udinese (Sky Sports 2 & ITV1)

Winners after both legs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calum

Reaction score
Tuesday 16th August/Wednesday 24th August 2011
UEFA Champions League

19.45 Kickoff
The Emirates/Stadio Friuli
200px-Arsenal_FC.svg.png
Udinese_calcio.png

Team News
Team news ahead of Tuesday night's Champions League play-off first leg between Arsenal and Udinese at the Emirates Stadium.
Arsenal will be without suspended duo Samir Nasri and Robin van Persie, while Tomas Rosicky faces a fitness test on a groin problem suffered in the goalless draw at Newcastle on Saturday.
Despite his red card at St James' Park, summer signing Gervinho will be available for the European tie, but England midfielder Jack Wilshere (ankle) remains out.
Arsenal (from): Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Gibbs, Rosicky, Song, Ramsey, Arshavin, Gervinho, Chamakh, Fabianski, Walcott, Chamberlain, Djourou, Jenkinson, Frimpong, Bendtner.

No Udinese team news as of yet, will update OP when it comes availible.:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Big game for us this one with RVP, Nasri and Wenger suspended due to them being banned/sent off because of that ****** awfull ref we had in the Barca match :mad:. I think we need to win at the Emirates by a few goals as i think we will concede away and most likely loose the away match. I am hopefull we get through not confident although we really need the UCL and not drop into the Channel 5 cup :(

My Arsenal team would be: Szczensy, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny Gibbs, Song, Ramsey, Walcott, Arshavin, Gervinho, Chamakh.

Predictions for both legs?

Last edited:
Arsenal to win 2-1 tomorrow and draw 1-1 away. I'll be cheering Udinese on though

really worried about this game, we need a big performance.

I don't think some fans realise the importance of a good atmosphere. Not just in terms of shouting and signing etc. but actually getting behind the team. Shouting "Spend some ******* money" helps no one, neither does booing. As long as the players are on the pitch, they need our support - not additional pressure. Boo at the end of the game if you're really that annoyed about it, but not while we're playing.

As always, backing the Brits. Going for an overall 3-1 for Arsenal.

What would your team be? is the one i put in the OP the best we could play

Szczesny

Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Gibbs

Song - Lansbury

Walcott/Gervinho - Rosicky/Ramsey - Arshavin/Gervinho

Chamakh/Bendtner​

It's not that I don't like Rosicky or Ramsey, and I get that Lansbury is inexperienced but I just didn't think Rosicky and Ramsey worked well together at all. They were too similar imho so I'd play one player who likes to drop back into midfield from an advanced position and one who likes to drive from deep as Lansbury does.

I'm told Lansbury is training with the FT and is on "stand-by" so won't play with the Reserves tonight vs Utd.

Re Gervinho - tempted to drop him. Not because he was poor, and not as a punishment but to take the pressure off him a little bit. He seemed nervous against Newcastle and we can't really risk having that.

Or we could play him up-front... He doesn't like playing there but he can do. RvP is suspended, Chamakh is low on confidence... As long as Bendtner is an Arsenal player, I'd play him tbh although it might mean we'd get a lesser fee for him if CL clubs are looking at him.

Vela could play as well remember, i would play him over Nick tbh

Torn on this, would like Udinese to go through, but i also like to back english sides.

Result wise 2-1 Arsenal

I don't think some fans realise the importance of a good atmosphere. Not just in terms of shouting and signing etc. but actually getting behind the team. Shouting "Spend some ******* money" helps no one, neither does booing. As long as the players are on the pitch, they need our support - not additional pressure. Boo at the end of the game if you're really that annoyed about it, but not while we're playing.

I agree but Arsenal fans have been doing this for years, when I was a season ticket holder I can remember a few years a go dominating teams like Birmingham and Middlesbrough but coming in 0-0 at H/t and fans booing. It's what you get from chasing the corporate buck. I agree fans should get behind the team but it's beyond a joke now. We are the most expensive club by a mile to watch we make millions selling players we used to get great football in return. I've always believed Arsene Wenger knows what he is doing but this time I struggle to comprehend his transfer strategy.

I agree but Arsenal fans have been doing this for years, when I was a season ticket holder I can remember a few years a go dominating teams like Birmingham and Middlesbrough but coming in 0-0 at H/t and fans booing. It's what you get from chasing the corporate buck. I agree fans should get behind the team but it's beyond a joke now. We are the most expensive club by a mile to watch we make millions selling players we used to get great football in return. I've always believed Arsene Wenger knows what he is doing but this time I struggle to comprehend his transfer strategy.

You're well within your rights to be annoyed but I just don't think booing gets you anywhere. Maybe releasing frustration but some people don't realise that if you boo a team, it actually has a negative impact on players who want to play for your club and are trying to win trophies.

I remember a year or so ago; I was at a family function with my ex. Her aunt’s boyfriend had a season ticket at Arsenal and told me some ridiculous stories about Arsenal fan’s *******’ & moaning at the likes of Fabregas & RVP. Saying they are **** and need to be dropped etc

He didn’t hold a lot of those around him in high regard.

I think it will be a tough game, don't expect the Italian's to come and play football.

Joss, don't you think it's more likely for Frimpong and Song to be the double pivot instead of Lansbury?

Joss, don't you think it's more likely for Frimpong and Song to be the double pivot instead of Lansbury?

Calum asked what team he would use, I don't think he's posting the most likely.

Dunno. Perhaps, but Lansbury's more naturally an attacking player. Frimpong has energy, but isn't the most creative player in the world and we don't tend to split up the midfield as I think that would do - it would limit the capacity for Ramsey and co. to rotate IMO. Song will just be played in his usual position.

in Italy that away could kill us

Good to see you're staying as positive as ever, Calum.

Remember we'll have RvP, Wenger and Nasri (?) back for the second leg.

You're well within your rights to be annoyed but I just don't think booing gets you anywhere. Maybe releasing frustration but some people don't realise that if you boo a team, it actually has a negative impact on players who want to play for your club and are trying to win trophies.

I agree with you, I don't boo my own team, I supported Arsenal way before we started playing the type of football we do under Wenger so if I didn't boo then I aint Going to start now lol. I just understand that people are booing, ticket prices are so expensive, the fans who go to the game are mainly corporate we keep making massive operating profits and sell players but no return on the FANS investment, where is all the money going?

I remember a year or so ago; I was at a family function with my ex. Her aunt’s boyfriend had a season ticket at Arsenal and told me some ridiculous stories about Arsenal fan’s *******’ & moaning at the likes of Fabregas & RVP. Saying they are **** and need to be dropped etc

He didn’t hold a lot of those around him in high regard.

I think it will be a tough game, don't expect the Italian's to come and play football.

He was spot on. This is also my experience of watching Arsenal, especially post Highbury. Very few genuine football fans watch Arsenal anymore and my time at the Emirates is generally spent shouting at Arsenal supporters to get involved rather than just moaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.