UCL Playoffs: Arsenal vs Udinese (Sky Sports 2 & ITV1)

Winners after both legs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never booed my team to be honest-it's just pointless doing it as already mentioned. Besides, I'm normally more busy swearing as the injury list gets longer lol

I've never booed my team to be honest-it's just pointless doing it as already mentioned. Besides, I'm normally more busy swearing as the injury list gets longer lol

So glad I don't support Everton ;)

Safe to say it's the emotional rollercoaster from **** every season lol

Complete opposite roller-coaster to Arsenal, though.

Start ****, think you're going to get relegated at Xmas, then somehow end up challenging for Europe.

Vs.

Start brilliantly, think you're going to win the league at Xmas, then somehow end up fearing mid-table mediocrity.

Udinese goalkeeper Samir Handanovic insists they have nothing to fear from Arsenal.

The Italian outfit face the Gunners in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League final qualifier on Tuesday evening.

And the Slovenian insists they should head to Emirates Stadium in confident mood.

"I think it's always better to play the first leg away. I'm not afraid of Arsenal, last year in the league we prepared well for games against the big sides and we did well, so you should always be optimistic. I know I am," he said.

"I don't know how to beat Arsenal, I know they play at a fast pace, but I'm sure we will have our chances.

"We hope to take those chances because it's important to score away from home."

The 27-year-old, who recently signed a contract extension to keep him at Stadio Friuli until 2016, is refusing to be distracted by recent headlines surrounding their opponents.

Arsenal endured a fractious 0-0 draw at Newcastle on the opening day of the Premier League season and have completed the sale of talismanic captain Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona.

Handanovic added: "I don't think about the narrative. Think about that when your career is over because even if we lose we will not do anything that goes down in history.

"We concentrate match-to-match, we'll think about the significance of the challenge afterwards."

Antonio Di Natale: Arsenal clash is the most important in Udinese's history

As Udinese prepare to face off against Arsenal at The Emirates on Tuesday to qualify for the Uefa Champions' League group stages, club captain Antonio Di Natale has underlined the importance of the two-legged tie.
The 34-year-old striker says he realizes what is at stake as he calls the match the most important one Udinese has ever played.

As quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport, Di Natale says that only one other moment in the club's history can even be compared to Tuesday's match: "I can think only of the match against Ajax in 1997, although that was in the Uefa Cup and here we are in the Champions' League."

Udinese lost to the Dutch side 2-2 on away goals in the second round that year.

The 33-year-old has been Serie A's top scorer in the past two seasons and is looking forward to bringing his form to the continental stage.

"Even for me who is no longer young, it is an incredible emotion to play [at the Emirates]."

"At the club level, this is the most important challenge of my career. It is a satisfaction comparable only to me national team debut, but here I lead a team of 20-year-olds as captain."

Udinese must face Arsenal without Antonio Floro Flores, whilst the Gunners will be playing their first match since star midfielder Cesc Fabregas completed a switch to Barcelona.

I'm trying to fit in 'Di Natale' into the joy division song love will tear you apart...

I get the jist but it doesn't work with the rhythm, ''Di Natale, Di Natale will tear you aparttt again.''

Not working whatsoever, but you get the message.

I'm going with 2-2 and Udinese go through on away goals, alot of underestimating going on from the Arsenal camp.

Sanchez would have had such a poor season if he didn't have Antonio alongside him.

Look out for Doubai/Asamoah/Neuton, think they will have an impact but the main man is Di Natale.

It's vital we score first (ideally Udinese won't score at all) otherwise the fans will get on the players back and that won't help us at all.

Reckon we will take this leg 2-0 with Ramsey and Theo scoring for us with Kos and Verms bossing the defence again.

Does anyone else think that the advert for this match on sky sports is hilarious?

Good to see you're staying as positive as ever, Calum.

Remember we'll have RvP, Wenger and Nasri (?) back for the second leg.

Lol, Joss you should be knowing how much optimistic Calum can have big say in your season. Newcastle 0-4 Arsenal, Calum posted "Polish the trophy, it is coming home" at half time and rest was history.. :p

On topic though, I like Udinese but I want Arsenal to win this game. I want them in Europe. English teams played really well in Europe and without teams like Arsenal. Liverpool it wouldn't have possible to be at top in UEFA Coefficients.

Going for 2-0 win in the first leg and 1-1 in the second leg. Without Sanchez, Inler,Zapata they will struggle. 3 of their key players. They have Di Natale though, but Arsenal should be able to deal with him.

Last edited:
I'm backing Udinese solely because I managed a very successful long term save with them...

Jamie.:1285345 said:
I'm trying to fit in 'Di Natale' into the joy division song love will tear you apart...

I get the jist but it doesn't work with the rhythm, ''Di Natale, Di Natale will tear you aparttt again.''

Not working whatsoever, but you get the message.

I'm going with 2-2 and Udinese go through on away goals, alot of underestimating going on from the Arsenal camp.

Sanchez would have had such a poor season if he didn't have Antonio alongside him.

Look out for Doubai/Asamoah/Neuton, think they will have an impact but the main man is Di Natale.

That's easy, Diiiiiii Natale will tear you apart.
I dont know Arsenal need a big performance tonight and I have a gut feeling we'll get it. In Arsene we trust.

Still think even though Cesc has gone, Arsenal will win both legs. It'll make the team even more determined to do well-they'll have a point to prove. It'll be tough, but they should go through.

Key battles

Arsenal take on Udinese in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night. All eyes will be on Arsene Wenger as Arsenal adjust to life without their talisman and skipper Cesc Fabregas. Murmurs of discontent amongst the Gunners faithful were heard on Saturday at St James' Park and should they draw a blank again in the capital the pressure will only increase on their beleaguered boss. Here, skysports.com picks three key individual battles which could decide a European clash that will go a long way to determining how Arsenal's season unfolds.

MAROUANE CHAMAKH v DANILO

Chamakh: Will be handed a chance in Van Persie's absence

With Robin van Persie suspended, Arsene Wenger is likely to ask Chamakh to lead the attack and will be hoping the Morocco striker can recapture the form he showed at the start of last season, having not scored since March. Chamakh hit the ground running and looked to be a typically astute under-the-radar Wenger signing; however, having faded badly in the second half of last term he now has it all to prove. Danilo joined Udinese from Palmeiras in the summer and will be keen to make an impression at Emirates.

AARON RAMSEY v MAURICIO ISLA

Isla: A key man in the heart of Udinese's midfield

Following the departure of captain Cesc Fabregas and injury to England midfielder Jack Wilshere, the Wales skipper will take over as the heartbeat of the Gunners team. There is no doubting Ramsey's talent but whether he can replace one of the best midfielders in the world is another question entirely. Wenger is ready to champion Ramsey's cause; now it's up to the Welshman to justify his manager's unstinting faith. Chile international Isla can play in a variety of positions and will look to provide link up with the attack as often as possible.

THOMAS VERMAELEN v ANTONIO DI NATALE

Di Natale: Could pose problems for Vermaelen

Fit-again Belgian centre-back Vermaelen will be out to make up for lost time after missing almost all of last season with an Achilles problem, but needs to be on his guard against Udinese skipper Di Natale. The veteran Italian forward is an experienced European campaigner, who if given chances will likely be canny enough to take them. Vermaelen was badly missed at the back last season but will need a good few weeks of competitive action before he fully rids himself of any ring-rust. He'll need to keep his concentration for the full 90 minutes to ensure Di Natale does not trouble

Just give Chamakh his snood back. It's no coincidence his drop in form coincided with Fifa's snood ban.

Think Udinese will win it, by shutting them out in Italy, my guess is win on away goals rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.