UEFA Team of The Year

If you look at Bales performances and his statistics, you will realise he is one of the in form wingers in Europe this year, and thus, a candidate for Team of the Year

Bale is easily on the top 5 wingers in the world atm.

Anyway, overrated or not, would be really welcome to my team.

Last edited:
bale is impressive. any team will really want him. what a winger.

View attachment 213819

Most of them pick themselves, after Falcao's scoring record in Europe (18 last season) along with his goal scoring domestically he just has to go in there.

Hart was a contender for GK, Vidic and Silva were pretty close. At LB I thought of going for Abidal purely for what the guy has been through and come out the other end of in the past 12 months but on merit I had to go with Pereira. If I had a 12th man pick it would be Yaya Toure...​

Last edited:
Bale is easily on the top 5 wingers in the world atm.

Anyway, overrated or not, would be really welcome to my team.

Especially in terms of pure statistics. Bale last year and this year: 12 goals, 3 assists; 11 goals, 7 assists

All bracketed stats are 2010-2011

Ribery (11 goals, 15 assists)
Robben (10 goals, 7 assists in under half a season)
Silva (11 goals, 13 assists)
Pedro (23, 10 - admittedly not so good this year)
Hulk (23, 4 in league alone)
Young (9, 15)
Di Maria (11, 15)
Mata (9, 15)

not to mention Ronaldo and Messi (when he is played as a winger, anyways).

I'm not denying that Bale is a great player and most teams would be lucky to have him. However, the idea that he is really all that special is more of a distortion of reality than anything else. Of course, if we were only counting wingers who like to run up and down the touchline and cross all day Bale would probably be the best, but that's primarily because that role has diminished in importance at big clubs or been outsourced to wingbacks.

I don't see how he's the best LW in the world though.

Wilshere is an option for team of the year? I'm insulted that I'm not.

Sort of goes in here; I think...

FIFPro XI of 2011:
Casillas
Alves - Vidic - Pique - Ramos
Alonso
Xavi - Iniesta
Messi ---- Rooney ---- Ronaldo

Sort of goes in here; I think...

FIFPro XI of 2011:
Casillas
Alves - Vidic - Pique - Ramos
Alonso
Xavi - Iniesta
Messi ---- Rooney ---- Ronaldo

I agree with that apart from Rooney, don't think he deserves to be noted as the best striker in 2011.

Surprised this thread wasn't updated, but the team has been announced:

UEFA.com users' Team of the Year 2011:
Goalkeeper: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid CF & Spain)
Right-back: Daniel Alves (FC Barcelona)
Centre-back: Gerard Piqué (FC Barcelona & Spain)
Centre-back: Thiago Silva (AC Milan)
Left-back: Marcelo (Real Madrid CF)
Right midfield: Arjen Robben (FC Bayern München & Netherlands)
Centre midfield: Xavi Hernández (FC Barcelona & Spain)
Attacking midfield: Andrés Iniesta (FC Barcelona & Spain)
Left midfield: Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur FC & Wales)
Forward: Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)
Forward: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid CF & Portugal).

Coach: Josep Guardiola (FC Barcelona)

8b48363e7f3d0a6191a3b253e9259909.png

f28f9002af3cbc32c08a10a78070e9ef.png

Last edited:
lol people voted to put Bale in Over RVP? :S oO)

They could have moved Messi to the wing and put RVP up front, what has bale done exactly?

Scored 3 against Inter Milan in Europe of course...

Back in 2010.

They could have moved Messi to the wing and put RVP up front, what has bale done exactly?

No. RVP didn't have more votes than Messi and Ronaldo - they are the only 2 people that mattered. Messi couldn't simply be moved to the wing because they'd already set the positions, and then the users voted on each position, so it would be unfair just to change it. I personally don't think Bale deserved to be the most voted in the LM position, but that has no connection with RvP being left out. I and I also feel that the way the voting system is, is silly, but it's the way it is. RvP was never going to be in that team since the 2 best players in the world were up for the same position. Means nothing anyway.

I would of put Messi on right wing and RVP up front. Robben's been injured a lot of last year. Bale had a good season.

dani alves in the team of the year. ohh man. i'll quit football now lol. wtf man !!!!

ffs, rvp is not there. >_< dont get how robben is there, he's quality for sure, but being injured for most of the season. kudos to bale, and tiago silva ;)

Last edited: