Uefa to scrutinise Man City deal

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 1K
Breakdown of the figures/projected figures for Man City going into FFP:
City-FFP1.jpg

Basically the crux of this whole issue is at which point does UEFA interfere in a free market of sponsorship and tell companies what they can/can not pay a football club. That's the major issue with enforcing these regulations...

They're not interfering with the free market, sponsors can still give as much as they like, if it's not fair value - which isn't hard to judge, just compare to similar deals and add a standard deviation - then you edit the FFP account. Considering City destroys even Madrid's sponsorship deal, it's hardly fair value. Considering City have very little of the Asian, American and European market.

They're not interfering with the free market, sponsors can still give as much as they like, if it's not fair value - which isn't hard to judge, just compare to similar deals and add a standard deviation - then you edit the FFP account. Considering City destroys even Madrid's sponsorship deal, it's hardly fair value. Considering City have very little of the Asian, American and European market.

I really don't think UEFA will enforce the clause on this despite the blatant disregard by Manchester City, all that this precedent will set is teams like Udinese/Palermo/Inter/Real/Barce will over exaggerate their own deals and make the market prices near/above the levels City have set.

I think that is what Cook is hoping for, that deals like the stadium deal will set a precedent that will be followed and inflate the market to an extent that their deal in 2-3 years time will look 'fair value'. The related parties part is the KEY for me, Etihad is a relatively small airline who is pumping 1/3 of their projected profits into a football club sponsorship deal...If that doesn't ring alarm bells then frankly nothing will.

Sheikh Mansour's next plan - buy an unknown club somewhere in the middle east and sell Man City's benchwarmers there for 100m each.

I really don't think UEFA will enforce the clause on this despite the blatant disregard by Manchester City, all that this precedent will set is teams like Udinese/Palermo/Inter/Real/Barce will over exaggerate their own deals and make the market prices near/above the levels City have set.

I think that is what Cook is hoping for, that deals like the stadium deal will set a precedent that will be followed and inflate the market to an extent that their deal in 2-3 years time will look 'fair value'. The related parties part is the KEY for me, Etihad is a relatively small airline who is pumping 1/3 of their projected profits into a football club sponsorship deal...If that doesn't ring alarm bells then frankly nothing will.

UEFA shouldn't be letting the market inflate. You'd hope if they're seriously going to implement these regulations, they'd be clued up on the footballing markets.

Granada-Udinese is already under the radar, Pozzo owns both and funnels money/players between the two dodging tax from transactions...

A really blatant example that should be getting looked at...

Granada essentially never have a loss/profit on their balance sheet because he funnels all of the profits into Udinese's bank accounts which you could argue is sensible for Udinese but still pretty serious in terms of 'Financial Fairplay'.

Back