UNCLE MAD'S GUIDE FOR A BETTER FM EXPERIENCE

MANUMAD

Reaction score
This is what it says on the tin, extracted from BOX OF CHOCCYS for convenience.

AVOID EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWNS FROM CRUSH DUMPS, FREEZES, PARSING ERRORS ETC

Time and again I see people doing stories, long saves etc and then GET heart broken cos their save is corrupted etc. Truth is that unless you ve got loads of RAM (and god knows maybe even if you do) you WILL suffer from many of these. So here is some advice on how to avoid it:

1. Parsing errors - these are curable. Google it and you ll find the solution. It involves deleting the contents of a file once in a while. Easy peasy.

2. Game freezes, crashes:

a) If game refuses to move past a date try holidaying. Usually does the trick.

b) Generally do the following:

i. Dont load up useless leagues (eg no China if you dont intend to managethere). Also note that you still get the main players if you load a league but"view only".

ii. From preferences choose a weekly 3 file rolling save. This way if one of the files corrupt you have another one starting from a few days before.

iii. This wont be popular but it helps A LOT: from preferences - match, untick show stadium and show scenery.

iv. DO NOT under any circumstances use the PC to do other stuff such as browse the internet while waiting for game holidays to pass.

v. If you play and then leave the game for longer than about half an hour dont pick up where you started from when you return. Rather quit game (not to start screen but fully) and reload.

These will all save you a lot of tears. I know it cos they' ve saved me the same!!!

Best staff

A list of this can be found in passion4fm's website/blog.

Its my party and Ill do what I want to!

BE THE BOSS

Do not sell players because they want to leave sell them because you have decided.

A good way to do this is:

1. When a player comes to you expressing a wish to go to another (bigger?) team, in conversation tell him you'll accept any bids that will meet your valuation.
2. When the other team bids do not reject but keep negotiating wanting higher and higher amounts. And keep doing it.
3. If player comes back asking you why you rejected tell him that the bid was nowhere near what he's worth. Usually this keeps him calm. Sometimes he gets unhappy. Either way dont budge.

You only have to do the above till a particular window shuts. Once it does - provided you give the player match time - sooner/later you get media info to the effect that ".... player has decided to stay."

UNCLE MAD WHAT TEAM SHOULD I BE?

Some ideas for saves:

1. Deportivo Cali - Colombia

Pros: The biggest stadium in Colombia. A bit of a sleeping giant. Huge squads (albeit not of terribly good players). Can challenge for honours outright but can you really build them up financially AND get them win continental competitions AND be self sufficient player-wise?

Cons: Too many matches per season. Only 4 foreign players allowed. Most Colombian players you can buy are **** (this may be a pro depending how you see stuff as it makes managing them more of a challenge).

2. Midtjyland - Denmark

Pros: Secure financially. Awesome squads full of young quality players (incl Pione Sisto, Sviatchenko etc). Not the best team in league so a bit of a challenge. Not too restrictive non-eu players rules.

3. Olympiacos - Greece

Pros: Background sugar daddy (I think). Squad likely to walk the league 1st season. But can you do something in Europe?

Cons: Squad is old with a lot of class players in on loans only.

4. Vitoria and Botafogo - Brazil

Both these teams are in the 2nd division. But squads are 1st division standard. They have enough to make them springboards for long term saves.

5. Duisburg - Germany

3rd Division. Good squad for level and not bad set up for long term save

THE IMPORTANCE OF DATABASE SIZE

You've got the game ready, and are about to start a new save. You set up the leagues you want to play, let's say England, Spain and Italy. So you look down at the databsase selection, set it to large and start your game.

That's fine but what about exploring custom DB possibilities? Hitting the custom button you will be able to see all the additional leagues/nations/continents you can add to your game, increasing the player pool. This is a nice way to increase the players and prospects available to you as a manager.

I've been looking at some websites which list some prospects in World football and used my season and a half long save with Lyon to look at them and see how they'd developed. However, on that save I'd only loaded France on a large database and had trouble finding some the players based outside Europe.

So what about loading a save with a few more leagues loaded and a custom database, adding players from the top divisions of S. America, Asia, Africa and Oceania?

By doing this you will be able to "unlock" even more cheap young players you can buy and develop or older ones to help you win stuff pronto.

My suggestion (depending on what your pc can take):

1. Load 2/3 divisions of the country you plan to manage in.
2. Load 2/3 other top divisions relevant to the team you ll be managing - eg: In a save with Lanus in Argentina, also loading Spain would not be relevant.
3. Use the custom database option to load 'players from top division' of North America, Africa, Asia and Oceania. Also tick 'add players from continental cup teams' or whatever the equivalent option is.

It's really easy, takes a few clicks and vastly increases the amount of prospects you can find in your game at various levels, without putting too much of a strain on your processing speed