Tobel

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm looking for more of some "teach a man to fish" help at the moment in understanding the players I have available and building a tactic to suit them.

The team I'm using is Eastleigh F.C. in the English Skrill South. I chose to use a 4-1-2-1-2 formation without wide midfielders as I noticed we seemed to have a larger amount of strong attacking/defensive/central midfielders as opposed to wide. Based on what I read on guidetofootballmanager for building tactics, I'd like to explain my reasoning for choosing the formation and certain player roles, and hopefully those who are somewhat familiar with the starting Eastleigh lineup could make some comments on stats/roles.

I chose to build the team around my strikers, who are also some of my strongest players on the team.

For my striking pair:
Fleetwood - Poacher
Strevens - DF /S

Fleetwood already has the PPM beating the offside trap, so I thought him a natural for this position along with his fairly high acceleration/pace (12/13) which is not bad for the league. He also has decent technique and finishing.

Strevens was a bit harder to choose from, as his PPM seemed to indicate he would be more likely to pass than score. I decided to try to chose a position that would suit that more, and decided on defensive forward. I'm sure there may be another position he would be more suited for, such as target man (since he is 186cm and has 12 heading), but I was a bit confused on putting more than one target man/playmaker in the tactics. More on that in a moment.

Midfield diamond:
I am using Reason in the AMC position as an Enganche with the intention of him being my main forward playmaker. From the description of that role, it seems like it should be someone who sits between defense and midfield and uses their creativity to make attacking plays. He has decent mental stats and thought with his PPM of "dictates tempo" it might be useful.

Evans and Southam are my central midfielders, as a support and attacker respectively. Southam has somewhat better defensive stats, but Evans likes to arrive late into the area so I thought as a support that might be more natural.

**Note, I may be overestimating the effect PPM has at this point.

My defense consists of:
Colllins DM - BWM (D)
Green and Batt - CWB (A) left and right respectively
Beckwith and Dillon - LD (D)

Batt and Green have to make up the width of my attack so I chose them as my complete wingbacks, while trying to keep enough coverage in the back with limited defenders and Collins in the DM.

Right now, to keep things simple, I do not have any team instructions. The only thing is that I sometimes exploit middle when facing 4-4-2's. Mentality is said to standard/fluid.

I'd love for some feedback on my thought process:
- Is PPM as important as I thought it was?
- Should I be focused more on stats?
- Role advice
- Team instruction