Reaction score
First of all, sorry for another Youth Players question (you guys must be sick of them), but I wanted a little clarification more than anything hopefully.

I have found recently on FM I have mixed success with youth players and I'll be honest, I feel like it is 90% luck, for example I once had a game when Elliot Lee for West Ham had an amazing season, then another game where he was a complete flop. On my main save however, I am Ipswich and I've noticed one player has a fairly good potential according to my assistant, but from reading other people say, don't always look at these. I could be ignoring some others as well as this guy from at least being around the first team to improve.

First, everyone I've noticed says look at their stats. In this instance what stats am I looking for, I imagine the ones for whatever role they are playing in my side could be firstly quite important, i.e. if he is going to be a DLP the usual passing, tackling etc. but are there more I want to look at, say Stamina, Determination etc. things that will just help someone in a match?

Secondly, telling if these stats are good or bad, I notice young players stats are not going to be as high as a first team player, so how much less should I be thinking, say for example using the DLP, this player has passing of 11 when he is 18, yet my main player who is 25, has a passing of 15, would that mean this kids passing is good, or poor?

The main reason I ask, is because I'm now getting to the gritty part of the season where game are coming thick and fast. So not all my players are going to be holding up in terms of fitness and you never know when an injury is round the corner, so I'm thinking, now could be my time to give some youth a chance here and there, playing with the majority of my first team, meaning they are surrounded by experience, but I don't want to throw a player in who is nowhere near ready.

Also I do worry with my assistant, my current one doesn't have great Judgement of Potential, so would I be worth getting a second opinion from say a scout with a much higher judgement?

Thanks,