Une Histoire Francais - Stade Rennais/France

November - Winter Break
View attachment 367851
Wow, we have picked up some real momentum in the last month or so! Much to my delight, some of our young players are really starting to shine and we are now looking like a real team. Two players I have to mention for their performances in the first half of the season are Wesley Said and Axel Ngando. Wes has started just 4 games and scored 8 goals whilst Ngando has impressed and earned his place in the side - even adding goals to his game in the last month. 4 goals and 5 assists in 13 starts is a great start to his Rennes career for such a young lad.
View attachment 367861
Axel is not only one of the first names on the team sheet for us now, but his performances have made him a fixture in the U-21s for France as well. A big future ahead of this lad. Here are the results:
OppositionCompScoreGK234567891011Subs
Le HavreL13:1
OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgandoAlessandrini (3)NtepOliveira
Austria WienEL2:0OchoaJorgensenYoung GwonKappelhoffFarkas (1)EmersonMakounDoucoureFeretSaid (1)Sane
MontpellierL13:0OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonMarequeN'ZonziMakounPajotAlessandrini (1)KuskOliveira (1)Said (1)
MonacoL13:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgandoAlessandriniNtepOliveira (2)Kusk (1)
Werder BremenEL2:0OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffMarequeN'ZonziDoucoureNgando (1)Alessandrini (1)KuskOliveira
ChateaurouxCdL4:0OchoaDanzeJorgensenCoulibalyMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgando (1)Alessandrini (1)KuskOliveiraSaid (2)
LensL12:0OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgando (1)AlessandriniKusk (1)Oliveira

What a month! 7 wins in all competitions puts us 4th in the table (with a game in hand), through to the Quarter-Finals of the Coupe de la Ligue and in the knockout round of the Europa League. A fantastic effort from back to front and a special mention to Ligue 1's Player of the Month Romain Alessandrini who scored a fantastic 6 goals in 3 games over November.

With January coming up, there is always the talk of transfers so we welcome a new signing to the team. Abdoulaye Sane's dissapointing performances in the first team have seen him loaned to Evian TG, so in his place comes 35 year old Ivica Olic on a 6 month contract to help boost our front line and add some experience to a young team. His debut as a sub against Chateauroux was excellent and I hope he can be a useful cog in this side.

View attachment 367853
Expect more transfers to be announced over January as we look to strengthen our side further ahead of the summer transfer window. Finally, we drew an away trip to Olympique Lyon in the Quarter-Finals of the CdL and we will play sc Heerenveen in the next round of the Europa League. Here's the table:
View attachment 367854

- - - - - - - -

French Under-21s
View attachment 367852
No games this month, but big news ahead of the summer's tournament - the group stages have been drawn! And we seem to have drawn the best group.
View attachment 367856
Belarus and Czech Republic shouldn't be at the same level as us, whilst we have already shown our qualities against Holland. I am definitely expecting us to win this group but of course in tournament football anything can happen. Should we go on and win in the Czech Republic, it would be just the second time - the first coming all the way back in 1988. A lot to prove, then!
View attachment 367855

Really enjoying this story. Can't wait to see you regens.

January - February
View attachment 367799
2015 could be a big year. The U21 European Championships in the summer.. Our form at the end of last year leaves us with lots to be excited about and we have to keep up our momentum if we want to achieve what no-one expects of us and sneak into the Champions League spots. Sadly, 2015 started poorly with a cupset against Carquefou of the French National league. It was a quite bizarre game in which we ended with 9 men, and it's a very dissapointing way to end our reign as Champions.

Transfers though first. We are very sad to announce the departure of Jean-Il Makoun, who has agreed terms with Southampton and will join them in the summer. We have already swiftly moved to replace him, with Guieda Fofana joining us from Lyon and Mateusz Klich joining from Zwolle in Holland.
View attachment 367803View attachment 367802
Fofana is a player who is full of energy and technical ability and at just 23, there is plenty of time to mould him into a top Ligue 1 player. Klich provides international experience and is a tidy, creative player. On just over £10k wages, he is a nice cheap option for our midfield. Here are this month's results:

CarquefouFC2:3N'DiayeAtahJorgensenArmandEmersonDiattaDoucoureNgandoOlicNtep (1)SaidOliveira (1)
AjaccioL13:0OchoaFarkasJorgensenArmandDanzeN'ZonziPajot (1)NgandoAlessandriniKusk (1)Oliveira
LyonCdL1:4OchoaDanzeJorgensenArmandMarequeN'ZonziDoucoureNgandoAlessandriniNtepOliveira (1)
Stade ReimsL14:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenArmand (2)MarequeDoucourePajotNgandoAlessandriniKuskOliveiraFeret (2)
CaenL12:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonMarequeN'ZonziKonradsenDoucoure (1)AlessandriniKuskOliveiraFeret (1)
LyonL12:1OchoaJorgensenYoung GwonArmand (1)DanzeMarequePajotNgandoKusk (1)SaidOliveira
Evian TGL12:0OchoaDanzeJorgensenArmandMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgandoAlessandriniKusk (2)Oliveira
ValenciennesL11:0OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonMarequeN'ZonziPajotDoucoureAlessandrini (1)KuskOliveira

As you can see, a wonderful month for the boys. We are now on an incredible 10 match winning streak in the league, the high point of this month being the revenge victory against Lyon at the Stade Gerland as we outwitted them with our 5-3-2 formation. The goals have come from all around the team which is brilliant to see and I hope that the dissapoint of our two cup exits will spur the team on to finish on a high both in the league and in the Europa League. Here's the table:
View attachment 367800

February - March
View attachment 367717
Lots of games have happened in this period, what with our continued involvement in the Europa League. Things are starting to heat up now as we head toward the closing stages of the season. Here are the results:

PSGL10:4OchoaJorgensenYoung GwonKappelhoffDanzeMarequeMakounPajotKuskSaidOliveira
HeerenveenEL0:1OchoaJorgensenYoung GwonArmandDanzeFoulquierPajotN'ZonziKuskSaidOliveira
Saint-EtienneL12:3OchoaFarkasJorgensenKappelhoff (1)ArmandMakounPajotNgandoAlessandriniKusk (1)Oliveira
HeerenveenEL6:2OchoaDanzeJorgensen (1)Young GwonArmandN'ZonziPajotNgandoAlessandriniKusk (2)Oliveira (1)Ntep (1)
LilleL13:2OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffArmandN'Zonzi (1)PajotNgandoAlessandriniKuskOliveira (1)Feret (1)
LorientL13:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonArmandN'ZonziPajotNgandoNtepKuskOliveira (1)Olic (2)
FreiburgEL3:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonFoulquierN'ZonziPajotNgando (1)Alessandrini (1)KuskOliveiraSaid (1)
MarseilleL10:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonMarequeMakounDoucoureNgandoNtepKuskOliveira
FreiburgEL1:0OchoaJorgensenArmandKappelhoffDanzeMarequeMakounPajotFeretSaidOliveira (1)
BordeauxL11:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgandoAlessandriniKuskOliveira (1)

We started the month in horrible form, with 3 losses from 3. But we found our scoring boots again against Heerenveen to send them crashing out of the Europa League and then followed that with two impressive results in the league. Coming from behind against Lorient showed the character that we clearly lacked last season and Olic's brace as a substitute could yet prove crucial. My only regret was a late equaliser from Bordeaux in the last game which leaves them just 2 points behind us as we both race for the 3rd and final Champions League spot. Here's the table.
View attachment 367734
A final word for Nelson Oliveira who went over 10 games in the league without scoring, only to smash 5 in this month. His form was a worry to us but he has so much natural ability, it was just a matter of time until he got on the scoresheet again. Hopefully he can fire us into the Champions League.

And a final note, we face Manchester City in the Quarter-Finals of the Europa League, with the winners facing either Napoli or Aston Villa in the semis. Much to be excited about!
View attachment 367733

- - - - - - - - -
View attachment 367732
French Under-21s

We had two friendlies at the end of this month. I didn't have a full strength squad with the likes of Umtiti and Digne called up to the Senior squad and Zouma and a number of others injured. That said we were able to have a look at a lot of the fringe players ahead of the summer's tournament, and also test ourselves against the Germans.

Under-21 International Friendly
France Under-21sView attachment 36773160View attachment 367729Slovakia Under-21s
Ngando (3)
Niang (4, 63, 69)
Sanogo (18)
Thauvin (90)

View attachment 367719
We played the Slovakians back in November but this time we were able to score without reply. This was my strongest XI, at least for the first half, so I was pleased we managed to rack up the goals - especially M'Baye Niang on the right wing, who is becoming a very important player for us. Ngando also ran the first 45 minutes and is proving a key player for club and country.

France Under-21sView attachment 36773101View attachment 367730Germany Under-21s

Schmidt (28)
View attachment 367718
I organised a friendly with the Germans in order to test where we were at against a big side. I changed tactics a couple of times and we fielded far from our best side due to injuries, but it was certainly a bit of a wake up call and my first loss as France U21 manager. I was pleased for the experience though and I'm sure that if we meet them again in the tournament proper, we can come out as victors.

March - April

Sadly there will be no trophy lifting at the Stade de la Route de Lorient this summer after we crashed out of the Europa League against Manchester City, to few people's surprise. That said we gave it a good go and it was the furthest the club have been in the competition so we have to be positive about that. On top of that, we are still going strong in the league with just 4 games to go and this could be the first time the club qualify for the Champions League/European Cup. Here's our results:

GuingampL12:1
OchoaDanzeJorgensenArmandMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgandoAlessandrini (1)NtepOliveira (1)
Man CityEL1:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgandoAlessandriniKuskOliveiraNtep (1)
SochauxL11:0OchoaDanzeYoung GwonKappelhoffMarequeMakounPajotNgando (1)NtepKuskOliveira
Man CityEL1:3OchoaKappelhoffYoung GwonArmandFarkasMarequeDoucourePajotKuskOliveira (1)Said
Le HavreL10:0OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgandoAlessandriniKuskOliveira
MontpellierL13:3OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoff (1)MarequeN'ZonziPajotNgando (1)AlessandriniNtep (1)Oliveira

The last game saw our old player Victor Montano score a hat-trick including two unbelievable free-kicks but we are still 3 points clear of Bordeaux in 4th. We needa couple more wins in order to ensure that spot so I am urging the boys to give every last ounce of effort.
View attachment 367471

4 games left to decide it and then on the 26th May I will be deciding the 22 man squad for the U21 European Championships!

April - End of Season
View attachment 367443
We almost bottled it at the end. Just 1 win in our last six matches surely should have meant we missed out on our spot in the Champions League but Bordeaux's stutter at the last too means we qualified with 3 points to spare on our more illustrious opponents. So, we did it! A marvelous effort when you consider the expectations at the beginning of the season and our budget compared to our other rivals. Now is the time where we have to hold onto our best players, reward those who performed so well this season and then look to strengthen in the transfer market. Here are the scores:

MonacoL12:2
OchoaDanzeJorgensenYoung GwonMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgando (1)AlessandriniKusk (1)Oliveira
AjaccioL12:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffMarequeN'ZonziPajotNgandoNtepKuskOliveiraOlic (1)
Evian TGL10:2OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffArmandN'ZonziPajotNgandoNtepKuskOliveira
NiceL10:1OchoaDanzeJorgensenKappelhoffMarequeMakounPajotNgandoAlessandriniNtepOliveira

The way our creativity and positivity was strangled by pressure at the end of the season is of concern for me and is something I will look to address in the transfer window. That said, I cannot take away from how marvelous an achievement this is. We must not let the success end here though! The final table:
View attachment 367457

End of season report will come after the U21 Championships!

- - - - -
View attachment 367450
French Under-21s

The time is nearly here for the U21 Championships in the Czech Republic! Ahead of that, we played several friendlies in preperation, and I'll post the results in short. Before that however, here is the 22 man squad that will travel with us.
View attachment 367456
A strong squad indeed, although I wasn't allowed to select a number of players because of involvement in the U20's World Cup. That left me with a little bit of thinking to do but I'm sure it won't be an issue come the tournament.

France Under-21sView attachment 36744981View attachment 367448Norway Under-21s
Niang (9)
Ntep (24, 35)
Sanogo (33)
Zouma (44, 45)
Benzia (55, 73)

Celina (60)
A non-competition as we went with our full strength XI in the first half, blasting them away. With the 4-3-3 we look very dangerous indeed and I have a number of options which I can deploy along there, and it worked perfectly in this match.

France Under-21sView attachment 36744920View attachment 367445Cyprus Under-21s
Eysseric (24)
Imbula (61)

I put out a second string side for this game in order to assess a few question marks in the side. It was an okay performance in the end, but no-one really pushed themselves into the starting XI.

Austria Under-21sView attachment 36744022View attachment 367449France Under-21s
Djuricin (73)
Gregoritsch (76)

Niang (48)
Benzia (83)
Not a great performance really, but with so many games coming in a row, I guess that's to be expected. Austria have a couple of nifty players but they certainly stole a point here (18 shots to 3). This certainly can't be tolerated in the tournament proper though.

France Under-21sView attachment 36744931View attachment 367426Serbia Under-21s
Niang (24, 31)
Thievy (78)

Miljanic (84)
Our final match and I had a final look at our 5-3-2 formation. I was reminded of it's solidity and I'm sure it'll get plenty of use in the tournament. Niang has been in wonderful form in these warm-up matches but picked up a knock that essentially rules him out of the Group Stage, which is a cruel blow for us.​

EURO Under-21 Championships
View attachment 367035

Group Stage

France
Holland
Belarus
Czech Republic

The team travelled to Czech Republic in high spirits after a great qualifying campaign and some encouraging friendlies. To qualify from our group we would have to beat Holland, who brought a much stronger side than the one which faced us in a friendly previously, including the likes of Memphis Depay, Marco van Ginkel and Bruno Martins Indi. Here are the results from the group stage:

U21 Championships, Group A, Match 1
View attachment 367041
Our tournament got off to a flyer as we roared past Belarus without any real problems (apart from another penalty conceded..). Benzia looks to be in the form of his life so far and hopefully he would keep that up through the tournament.

Starting XI: Areola, Coeff, Zouma, Laporte, Kurzawa, Kondogbia, Doucoure, Ngando, Ntep, Thauvin, Benzia

U21 Championships, Group A, Match 2
View attachment 367037
The crucial match. We took the lead thanks to great work from Thievy but were unable to hold onto it, as Benjamin Mendy's mistake cost us the three points which would have seen us qualify comfortably as group leaders. Instead it goes down to the final game.

Starting XI: Areola, Yago, Zouma, Laporte, Coeff, Mendy, Mulumba, Imbula, Eysseric, Sanogo, Thievy

U21 Championships, Group A, Match 3
View attachment 367043
We missed the chance of finishing top of the group, having to come from behind to get a point in this game. We would have had to win by at least 3 goals which never looked like happening so we finish second in the group - leaving us playing Germany in the semis.

Starting XI: Areola, Yago, Zouma, Rose, Kurzawa, Kondogbia, Ngando, Doucoure, Ntep, Thauvin, Benzia

1. Holland (7 pts)
2. France (5 pts)
3. Czech Republic (2 pts)
4. Belarus (1 pt)

GERMANY v. FRANCE
ENGLAND v. HOLLAND

Last edited:
U21 Championships - Out in the Semi-Finals
View attachment 366714
So our tournament ended in dissapointment as we crashed out in the semi-finals against Germany, who had also beaten us in a friendly. We can take some positives from the tournament but in the end I do feel it was an opportunity missed. Germany went on to lose to Holland in the final, a team we beat once and drew to another time but clearly we just didn't have what it took on the day. So we go again, this time looking to win the 2017 Championships. I will also still have my eye on the France job should Didier decide to step down..!

U21 European Championships, Semi-Final
View attachment 366719

Tournament tree:
View attachment 366718

This was a highly talented team, but so was the German side we faced and I'm sure with the amount of players coming through in the French league, we will be able to take another strong team into the next tournament and hopefully perform much better. For now though, it's back to the slog of the French League - and the Champions League!

End of Season Review
View attachment 366689
With the curtain coming down on the 2014/2015 season, we can look back on a campaign where we broke club records by finishing 3rd in the league and qualified for the Champions League. Whilst we were dissapointing in domestic cups, we also managed to reach the Quarter-Finals of the Europa League, only losing to eventual winners Manchester City. So all round a very fine effort.

Our most improved players this season were Wesley Said, Romain Alessandrini, Axel Ngando and Johann Kappelhoff. Johann was brought in as a stop gap for two positions but he ended up playing a lot of games and proving a very effective performer, so fair play to him. Here are the competition winners:

UEFA Champions League Winners 2014/2015: Arsenal (2-2 v. Bayern)
Europa League Winners 2014/2015: Manchester City (3-0 v. Manchester United)

England: Manchester United
France: PSG
Germany: FC Bayern

No major international tournaments this summer, just our U21 tournament of course. Which brings us straight into pre-season and transfers which I will post on the first update. Going into that though, we have a limited budget:

Transfer: £5.82m
Wage Surplus: £4.4k

Looks like I will have to move on a few players if I want to add and also nail down our key players to new contracts.