United We Rise Again: A Manchester United Story

doyce7

Reaction score
manu.png

Manchester United is not what they were, not what they could be, most importantly, not what they should be. It's time to change that. In steps an American with big ambitions, Doyce Kirkland. Kirkland, 39, a former American international who spent most of his playing career with Fulham. He did have a spell at Man United in the waning days of Sir Alex Ferguson's tenure and saw first hand how it went with his successors. Mostly a squad player in his career it was always thought that the hard working midfielder would make a good manager some day. It's said that Ferguson himself saw managing potential in the aging midfielder and Kirkland went on to coach with Manchesters youth teams after retirement. You might be forgiven for thinking United have finally lost the plot by hiring an untested man as manager. But Kirkland has been nothing but confident that he can bring success back to Old Trafford. "This is a great club, some might say it's the biggest club in the world. But Manchester United has lost it's way over the last, almost, decade. It's time that United reclaim was it was and at the same time forge a new path to greatness. It may not happen overnight and I know many people will question if I am the right man. I know that I must show everyone, including myself that yes, I am the right man. I have a plan and when this plan unfolds, Manchester United will be back at the top. United we will rise." - Doyce Kirkland

profile.png

Last edited:
The goal of this save is simple, restore United to the top of world football. There are some rules though.
1. All signed players but have UK and Irish nationality or American nationality(I'm American and so are the owners). Secondary nationality is ok
2. Any current Manchester United player currently contracted can be used but I can never sign them to a new contract
3. Any player that is home grown at club does not have can be kept and signed to new contracts.
4. If a player becomes English while at the club I can keep that player.
That's it, thems the rules

I had some idea of who I wanted to move out and went right to work to make that happen.
First up Fred goes to Tottenham for 14.5M pounds. Pretty happy to get that amount for a player who probably would have never started.
Fred.png

Next up Lindelof, good player but I was not going to be able to keep for long and he wasn't a planned starter. So might as well cash in, he goes to Chelsea for 20M.
Lindelof.png

next up the first of the ins. Declan Rice. He was one of the only players that I had in mind to get right away and so I went for him straight away. Just so solid at the base of the midfield, young and should improve nicely. He should be starting at CDM for the foreseeable future. Cost me a pretty penny though, 30M up front and 50M over 3 years, other clauses will see the deal reach 112M. Yikes. But he was my number 1 target.
Rice.png

Next out, Juan Mata. Had a deal agreed with Flamengo of all teams to take Mata for 2M +60k/w contribution but the deal fell through. nobody wanted him, including me, so we agreed to a termination
Mata.png

Next in, Kieran Trippier. I knew I wanted a RB. I had to sell Dalot and I'm not a big Wan-Bissaka fan. I almost went for Dest from Barcelona but couldn't agree to a deal of my liking. So Trippier is in for 17.5M(10 up front 7.5 over 3 years) rising to 19.5M
Trippier.png

2 more outs before the first game. First is Dalot who goes to Napoli for 18M. As stated before I was on the clock with Dalot so just needed to get what I could for him
Dalot.png

last move before the first game and the one I'm probably least happy with. Martial goes to Bayern Munich for 22.5M. I feel like I should have been able to get more but I just couldn't. I needed his wages off the books for other planned moves. It is what it is. I actually like Martial in FM this year.
Martial.png

That's plenty for now. I'll be back tomorrow with the rest of the window and first results.

The time has come to put it on the field. First up is money bags Newcastle. Interestingly, Newcastle spent no money. So this is just a stock Newcastle team.
first game.png

Ronaldo opens the scoring from the penalty spot before a comical own goal from Harry Maguire and almost could have gone as a De Gea own goal. Joe Willock then hits a screamer from outside the box that just curls into the top corner. Honestly one of the best goals I've ever seen in FM, so fair play to him. We go into halftime down 2-1 and I'm starting to worry, I get a bit shouty with the boys and in the second half we remember that we are playing Newcastle and just blow the doors off them for the whole second 45. Honestly it could have been 7. Still the first half was a worrying sign and we'll need to be much better against better competition. Bruno Fernandes suffered a fractured toe and will miss the next 3 weeks. Adding him to an injury list that already included Rashford, Telles and Lingard.
Bruno Injury.png

Depth is an issue here at United. Hannibal, Diallo and Alvaro Fernandez all had to be called up from the U23s just to fill the bench and Hannibal even had to come into that first game in the 30th minute to play Mezzala after Bruno was taken off. So back to the transfer market we go.
First up is a boy I've used a lot on FM this year. Great versatility, he can line up on both wings as either IF or IW, he can play in attacking midfield as an AP or SS, he can even play midfield as a mezzala. Welcome to United, Jamal Musiala. He comes in at 38M with 20 up front and 18 over 3 years. He should mainly start on the right but may also slot in on the left or in the middle if need be.
Musiala.png

I needed a mezzala though. Someone I could trust to get the job done. In steps James Maddison for 56M rising to 61M. 35 up front 21 over 3 years. Yes it's a lot for James Maddison but he is perfect for what I need. He can provide cover at mezzala but also slot in on the left wing if I need him to.
Maddison.png

Last bit of business is a very small deal only to add a bit more depth in midfield. Ross Barkley, welcome to United, you might play 5 games. hopefully I don't need you for more than that
Barkley.png
Transfers.png

The deadline has passed, business is done. lets get to the games. I think the way I'm going to do this is have a post every month and maybe highlight one game in particular and just show you the results for the rest. Lets look at the Champions League group real quick though
group.png

Pretty easy group that should provide for some rotation opportunities going forward
august games.png

Despite having 10 points and being top of the league, we have not looked great yet. Newcastle was a tale of two halves. Palace was comfortable but the 3-0 flatters us after 2 90+ minute goals. Chelsea was a good result and could have been 2 or 3. Norwich was awful. 2-0 up, at home after 13 minutes but Angel Romero got one back for them before half time and Teemu Pukki scored the equalizer in the 58th minute and we just could not get another break through.
Here is the table as it stands at the end of August
Table aug.png

I won Manager of the month for August, I guess it's good they do it based on results and not how good a team actually looks
August MOM.png

Ronaldo has basically saved my bacon so far and he gets rewarded with a player of the month award
August POM.png

That's it for today. If there is anything you would like to see, or have me cover just let me know.

Ah September what do you have in store for me. We start off away to Villa and once again we flirt with danger. A Pogba penalty is all that separates the teams. Then this happens
Sporting game.png

Awful, I did send out a rotated team because we have Liverpool at the weekend. I'm not a huge possession style manager but only 36% at home is pretty bad. Champions League not off to a great start.
Did I mention we had Liverpool next?
liverpool.png

More possession, that's good right? In truth we looked like children against Liverpool, it's an embarrassing loss and it probably should have been worse. Salah had at least 1 sitter and another good chance missed. Mane had one in the net but was barely off side. Just a game to move on from and try to learn from
September.png

The rest of the month saw us scrape past Brentford in the Carabao thanks to Greenwood, before finally a coupe of comfortable results against Brighton and Rangers. Mixed results I guess. I wouldn't have budgeted a win at Liverpool before the season and while losing to Sporting is not Ideal, I still don't think we'll struggle to get out of the group. Over all I have to be pleased, 5 wins through the first 7 league games. Ronaldo is pretty good I must say

With September wrapped up here is how the tables look. Despite the loss to Liverpool we remain ahead of them but they Man City and Leicester could all jump us with games in hand
table.png

As for the Champions League, looks like Salzburg may be the whipping boys of the group and we play them twice coming up
ucl table.png

October gets started off with a flyer. A 6-0 demolition over Arsenal, Ronaldo with 4! goals all in the first half. In total it was 6 goals on 7 shots on target in the first half
arsenal.png

As for the rest of the results, Wolves were brushed aside. Salzburg was a tight game with a slightly rotated side but we pulled away late to make it look comfortable. Southampton was a routine 2-0 and Watford and Burnley didn't cause much concern either. We're finally starting to look like a team capable of being at the top of the table.
results.png

Speaking of the table, here's how it stands at the end of October. Still top and now with a better goal difference. Ronaldo has been top scorer in the league by some distance. Couldn't have really asked for a better start to my time here.
table.png

ucl table.png

Off the pitch, Pogba signed a new deal keeping him at the club through 2025. This has been an ongoing negotiation for months. I was trying everything I could to get his wage down but in the end I could only get him to agree to no increase in wages. I'm happy to not be losing him for nothing but I'm still not sure if the right move might be to move him on in the summer if I can get a good fee for him. For now just happy to not have the stress of Pogba being out on contract.
pogba contract.png

pogba.png

Jamal Musiala wins young player of the month for October and Mason Greenwood finishes 3rd. We certainly have some good young attackers here. I could not be happier with Musiala so far.
musiala ypom.png

November, pretty straight forward when it comes to results. Even the 3-2 against Brentford was never really in doubt, their 2nd goal didn't come until the 88th minute.
results.png

Brentford.png

November is the month of sackings though. Newcastle, Arsenal and Tottenham all sacked managers
Howe sacked.png
arteta sacked.png
Conte sacked.png

I missed the actual news article about Conte being sacked.

This table is actually about a week into December but the table wouldn't have changed that much. Still top, 6 points clear but Liverpool and Man City both with games in hand. Shaping up to be a 3 team race and we have a head start
table.png

We have now qualified for the knockouts but a win at Sporting would be huge to top the group. Not to mention getting payback for the September match at Old Trafford.
ucl group.png

Musiala was young player of the month in October, Jaden Sancho wins it in November.
sancho ypom.png

Time for the big month. The month where the games come thick and fast as they say. This month will also be my first Manchest Derby as we will go to the Etihad to take on City. Let's look at that game first, it was an absolutely trilling....0-0
man city.png

yeah that's a disappointing match for anyone who watched it. City definitely had the better of the match and we rode our luck to get a point away. As for the rest of the month, a mixed bag you might say. We beat Sporting to top the Champions League group. Wins against West Ham and Spurs are nice. The loss to Watford is worrying, Watford came into the game in 29th and we were BAD in this match. I did do some rotation for Watford/Newcastle both games were half starter half reserve games.
december.png

Here is the league table after December. we are still top but now Man City are level and Liverpool are only 4 points back. The race is definitely "hotting up" now.
table.png

In other December news, the 3 teams who sacked managers found new ones this month
bielsa to spurs.png
Valverde to arsenal.png
newcastle man.png

Ronaldo wins another Ballon D'or
balandor.png

Musiala wins Golden Boy, of course he does. He has been unbelievable
goldenboy.png

Draws in various competitions were made this month as well. Wayne Rooney makes his return to Old Trafford as a manager.
fa cup draw.png

Champions League knockouts draw see us face Atalanta.
ucl draw.png

January, the cup month and transfer window. let's go over the outs real quick.
First up Cavani. I just did not use him and had no plans to use him. Juventus came in with 675k and no wage contribution, so I took it. That's 250k/w off the books
cavani.png

The only other out is Donny Van De Beek. Just don't really rate him over other options, I only played him in 4 league games up to this point and Leicester offered 23M, half up front half over 3 years.
van de beek.png

Money did come in from another source, Adnan Januzaj has moved to Newcastle for 40!M. We get 8.25M of that. Between the 3 income deals and money left over from the summer we have about 40M and 140k/w in the transfer kitty
Januzaj.png

let's get to the results
January.png

Managed to get through Liverpool on penalties in the Carabao semi finals and had an easy time against Wayne Rooney's boys in the FA Cup. Norwich, Crystal Palace, and Aston Villa were all brushed aside with ease. January did come with some issues though and that is depth at CB
cb crisis.png

Varane missed about a month with a toe injury, Bailly spent most of January at AFCON, Jones is Phil Jones and could get hurt at any point, Mctominay missed a few weeks with a groin. That left me with just Maguire and Rice that I could rely on, and obviously Rice is a midfielder. So with that money freed up
Coates.png

38.5M is a lot for a 31 year old CB but there was no-one and I mean no-one better available that I could afford. I tried to bring in Tomori but January prices are just not worth paying unless you meet a release clause, and that's what happened here. Should be able to get 3 years out of him as at least a rotation option. For anyone unaware and confused as to why he can be signed, he's got Scottish nationality.

Another issue that cropped up in January is this
bruno non contract.png

Bruno wants a new contract. I can't give him one. I had wanted to keep him for 2 years and sell in the summer of 23 but I think this may cause me to move him before that if he causes an issue. Something to keep an eye on for sure.
Still top of the table after January and now 4 points clear with a much better GD
table.png

Ronaldo wins his second player of the month award
ronaldo pom.png

Mason Greenwood wins his first young player of the month award. Musiala finishes 2nd for the 3rd month in a row
Greenwood ypom.png

February ends up being an up and down month, the month starts off with a solid FA Cup win over Sheffield United but then we played terrible and dropped a game to Woldves 1-0, we did end up going down to 10 men in this game as Mctominay gets sent off in the 75th minute. We bounce back to beat Brighton but then Arsenal is able to able to outlast us 2-1.
Arsenal.png

We Also had the first leg of the Champions League knockouts against Atalanta and we are able to get bring a 1-0 lead back to Old Trafford thanks to a Luke Shaw free kick. To round out the month we had the Carabao Cup final vs out City rivals. Pretty tight game, both teams fairly even but Marcus Rashford is able to get the breakthrough on a well placed shot to bring home the first trophy of my time at Manchester United.
Carabao .png

february.png

Due to dropping points against Wolves and Arsenal, Liverpool take over at the top.
table.png

Elsewhere here is the first leg results in the Champions League
ucl.png

The FA Cup 5th round will have us going to Brentford
fa cup .png

Greenwood again win young player for the month, Musiala again comes in 2nd
greenwood ypom.png

Before I get to March results, we had our youth intake. Decent intake as you might expect with United but nobody that looks to be a fast track, first team by 18 kind of players. My favorite of the bunch is Jack Highfield but admittedly this is almost entirely due to the fact that he is 6'7!
youth intake.png

Results wise, everything just kinda chugged along and it was all a bit easy. If move on to the Quarters in the Champions League and Semi finals in the FA Cup
results.png

ucl knockouts.png