Reaction score
View attachment 206272
View attachment 206271
View attachment 206269

Im just getting really REALLY frustrated at this game. Can someone please just explain to me why my team cant score? Im not saying that we are not creating chances really but my players shots are retarded. I know that not every effort can be great but seriously Icardi with 18 finishing cant score a single 1v1 ffs... Jovetic on attributes looks superb but plays like a headless chicken cant score ****.
I like how my team is playing but its like holy **** man how many chances do you need!??
Way to many shots are off target in this years game i feel its abit unbalanced.
Also, how can there be such a big difference in the 2 games on the pics? We completely dominated Napoli, didnt score but i was happy with the performance. Then vs Frosinone (never heard of them before thats how good they are) same tactic everything same but look at the difference... To me that feels unrealistic i mean its Napoli and then its Frosinone they are not even on the same level. Is it because of home/away? Because home/away doesnt have that big of a impact irl.

Im not saying it doesnt happen but in this years FM its WAAAAAY to frequent.
Here you see literally the next fixture for Frosinone after they beat me 4-0.
View attachment 206268

Granted its not vs me but still. These types of games do happen but they dont happen every single week... There are dussins of examples i could show if only i had screenshot them. From now on i will screenshot every odd result game and then count them at the end of the season and compare to real life odd results.

You talk about these 1v1 chances and great chances your team gets, but WE can't see them, so WE can't tell you anything.

Upload the PKM or the save.

View attachment 991225
View attachment 991226
View attachment 991228

Im just getting really REALLY frustrated at this game. Can someone please just explain to me why my team cant score? Im not saying that we are not creating chances really but my players shots are retarded. I know that not every effort can be great but seriously Icardi with 18 finishing cant score a single 1v1 ffs... Jovetic on attributes looks superb but plays like a headless chicken cant score ****.
I like how my team is playing but its like holy **** man how many chances do you need!??
Also, how can there be such a big difference in the 2 games on the pics? We completely dominated Napoli, didnt score but i was happy with the performance. Then vs Frosinone (never heard of them before thats how good they are) same tactic everything same but look at the difference... To me that feels unrealistic i mean its Napoli and then its Frosinone they are not even on the same level. Is it because of home/away? Because home/away doesnt have that big of a impact irl.

And isnt it strange how incredible effective the oposition is? I played Steaua Bucuresti i Europe, the had 3 shots on goal and i ( Man United ) had 24, they beat me 3-1

And isnt it strange how incredible effective the oposition is? I played Steaua Bucuresti i Europe, the had 3 shots on goal and i ( Man United ) had 24, they beat me 3-1
It's the same ME for everyone. They would have set up defensively against you and relied on the rare counter which would likely provide clearer chances to score compared to doing it against a packed defence.

Again though, PKMs or saves and all of this can be shown to you. :)

Welcome to FM16 mate!
Pointless comment. You're not adding anything of worth. As Brendn said, there's a link for stupid raging/frustrations. We're actually trying to have a proper discussion here.

View attachment 991228

Firstly, you haven't shown that you "dominated" Napoli. Granted, it doesn't seem like they posed a threat going forward, but your screenshot only shows that you had 18 shots, of which only 9 hit the target. No indication of quality. No PROPER match stats or anything. Was there a plan B? Did you do anything to change the result?

Secondly, against Frosinone you really didn't dominate. Even looking at the limited stats, they had more shots than you and you had a frankly pitiful 2 (!!!!!) shots on target from 11 shots! Does a stat like that not worry you? It's extremely poor.

Onto the tactic first impressions. It seems like Jovetic is by far the main goal scorer with Brozovic chipping in. Don't really see goals apart from those 2. You're playing narrower AND exploiting the middle, when you have both playmakers wide and an overlap on the left. It doesn't make sense. You also have Low Crosses selected. Who is supplying these crosses? By the time your Wingback makes it forward (especially against the likes of Frosinone) the box will be pack and the first defender will just clear it.

In matches (do you watch matches?) you'll see the tactic being very narrow. You may actually see the AP/A on the opposite side taking up the exact space as the CM/S and definitely the CM/A. That's one fewer passing option already. To come back to the lack of width, it's extremely narrow. You're not stretching these teams who sit back. The only width you have, is the overlapping Wingback, but all he does is hold the ball up to work it into the box, sees he doesn't have a passing option and smashes it in low for an easy clearance by the defence. The narrowness, combined with the very slow style (play out of defence + short passing) makes it easy for the defence to get behind your attack and just stay there. Shots will get block or will be under severe pressure. The CM/A can find some space going forward in the transition, but in the Attacking phase, he'll sit next to the CM/S almost, because the AP/A on that side is so narrow and taking up the space he's supposed to attack.

How often do you get a game like this? Is it only against the weaker teams?

Possession, by itself, means very little. Having posession doesn't mean you are creating quality scoring chances. Just like real life, lesser teams will often defend deep and prove difficult to break down. This can often result in your players blasting the ball at goal from distance or bad angles, because they don't have better options available. And even when you create excellent scoring chances, you will not convert 100% of them. In the real game, even the best strikers are going to miss some good opportunities.

As for giving up goals, counter attacking has been made more effective in FM16. When a counter is triggered, players are more effective at moving the ball forward quickly and passing into space. This is equally true for the user and the AI. So if you go quite attacking, you will get countered. Looking at your tactic, I expect you are leaving yourself quite open to those counters. Hence, giving up multiple goals on few shots.

Edit - the other thing I notice is that you are using a pretty attacking tactic but where is the creativity coming from? The real Inter is taking some criticism for being a hard-working side built for efficient football but not being all that attractive. And they don't have genuine creators, especially not in midfield. From your screenshot, you haven't added any, and Brozovic is being used in a creative role. He's not awful in that regard but he's hardly the type who is going to craft glorious scoring chances on a regular basis.

Last edited:
My wingers never seem to just swing a cross in. They'll run to the byline, and then either pull it back to outside the area, or try and run it in. The amount of opportunities missed (not CCCs, but strikers with the chance to run onto a ball in resulting in wingers not putting a cross in for them) seem to be very high.

I didnt say we played well vs Frosinone thats the point, im just showing the difference in 2 games using the same system and pretty much same everything. In one match we are againts Napoli and in the other againts Frosinone and we did FAR better vs Napoli, so much better that looking at the 2 matches you would ask yourself "did you change your system completely?" and that to me is weird.
In the Napoli game there was no need to change stuff to much in terms of tactics because like i said we played well i watched the game in full at times. I did make some slight changes like changing duty of some players but thats about it. The problem was not anything tactical, it was the ridiculous finishing.

I deleted the Inter save the players were ******* me of. I have yet to get started on a serious save because of the problems im having with creating tactics. I know im bad at it but i have read so much about it guide this guide that but i have learned absolutely nothing. The only thing i have found useful from the guides (i recently found it thanks to WJ.) is TIs explanations which i think has helped me on a few tactics im working on right now. Explanations of things in game like TIs, PIs and roles is really all you need since most people that play FM know football atleast to some degree. If someone made a guide of those 3 things i think would be very useful. The in game descriptions of certain things barely tell you anything. Some guides have even just copied the in game descriptions and left it at that, thats just a waste of time for both the reader and the author. I know how i want my team to play but im having a hard time because i dont know how to achieve that in the game. If it was real life i would know exactly what to tell the player to do but i dont know what role/duty/PIs/TIs (combinations) etc will give me the player behaviour that im looking for.

Last edited:
I didnt say we played well vs Frosinone thats the point, im just showing the difference in 2 games using the same system and pretty much same everything. In one match we are againts Napoli and in the other againts Frosinone and we did FAR better vs Napoli, so much better that looking at the 2 matches you would ask yourself "did you change your system completely?" and that to me is weird.
In the Napoli game there was no need to change stuff to much in terms of tactics because like i said we played well i watched the game in full at times. I did make some slight changes like changing duty of some players but thats about it. The problem was not anything tactical, it was the ridiculous finishing.

I deleted the Inter save the players were ******* me of. I have yet to get started on a serious save because of the problems im having with creating tactics. I know im bad at it but i have read so much about it guide this guide that but i have learned absolutely nothing. The only thing i have found useful from the guides (i recently found it thanks to WJ.) is TIs explanations which i think has helped me on a few tactics im working on right now. Explanations of things in game like TIs, PIs and roles is really all you need since most people that play FM know football atleast to some degree. If someone made a guide of those 3 things i think would be very useful. The in game descriptions of certain things barely tell you anything. Some guides have even just copied the in game descriptions and left it at that, thats just a waste of time for both the reader and the author. I know how i want my team to play but im having a hard time because i dont know how to achieve that in the game. If it was real life i would know exactly what to tell the player to do but i dont know what role/duty/PIs/TIs etc will give me the player behaviour that im looking for.
Napoli would have approached you very differently to what Frosinone did. That's the key point.

The TIs and PIs are explained in Lines & Diamonds.

As always, I'd say, read the guides. Then try and implement a system according to your vision. I'd still recommend not having too many (or any, really) TIs and PIs at first and add them as you see you need it. Watch a game or 2 in full, even if it is just 10-15mins to see if they're doing what you want them to do. If they aren't, post your save or the PKM along with the tactic and your vision for what they're supposed to do and we take it from there.

Napoli would have approached you very differently to what Frosinone did. That's the key point.

The TIs and PIs are explained in Lines & Diamonds.

As always, I'd say, read the guides. Then try and implement a system according to your vision. I'd still recommend not having too many (or any, really) TIs and PIs at first and add them as you see you need it. Watch a game or 2 in full, even if it is just 10-15mins to see if they're doing what you want them to do. If they aren't, post your save or the PKM along with the tactic and your vision for what they're supposed to do and we take it from there.

I will get started as soon as i get home later today. Will create a new thread about a tactic that i want to try and i will follow your advice about not giving to many instructions at first but wont that mean that it will take the team a longer time to get familiar with the tactic? Even if it does its probably worth it if they do what i want once im done with the tactic.

I will get started as soon as i get home later today. Will create a new thread about a tactic that i want to try and i will follow your advice about not giving to many instructions at first but wont that mean that it will take the team a longer time to get familiar with the tactic? Even if it does its probably worth it if they do what i want once im done with the tactic.
Yes it will mean that, but people seem to go overboard here and apply 10 instructions, with some completely going against what they want - because they haven't even seen the tactic in action. That's why I say, start with a minimal amount. You can always tweak later and tbh, whether the tactic is fully fluid or you're 90% in a few bars, won't matter that much if the tactic is good. Having a fully fluid **** tactic with pointless TIs will harm you far more.

Here is what im thinking: http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=9gx3v
Keep in mind this is just the idea, i havent thought about it any deeper than that.

The wingbacks will form a 5 man defence and the 2 DMs will make it really hard to break down. The mentality will be either attacking or counter i will probably make both versions.
In attack i want the wingbacks to act like wingers just stay wide and constantly make runs. I want the opposition to be forced to make tactical changes just to deal with the constant pressure from the wingbacks. Fast players with good crossing that knock the ball past their man and just run. High work rate and stamina so they can run up and down for 90 minutes. Very italian i guess you could say.

The 3 attacking players are supposed to be very mobile, the advance playmaker will be the main assist machine with "roam from position" ticked most likely. The roles are just a first thought im not really sure if thats the roles i will use. Im looking for one of the AMCs to get into the box regulary.
The idea is to play very direct to create allot of chances. I might want to move the DMCs up to CMs and have one of them on CM attack to get another run through the centre?

The wingbacks will form a 5 man defence and the 2 DMs will make it really hard to break down.
Even on your formation screenshot, it is clear that they'll form a back 3 with the wingbacks a 4 across the DM strata.

Even on your formation screenshot, it is clear that they'll form a back 3 with the wingbacks a 4 across the DM strata.

Well i could move them down to DR/L positions and still have them on wingback i will try that to but i dont know if they will be as attacking as i want them to be, its just a idea for now i will try it later and see if can get it the way i want, going to watch all of the pre-season games on full if i have to. After this if i dont get it to work i will probably just give up lol.

If you set them as Wingback Attack, they will still be very attacking. But that also means they aren't going to add as much as you might want to defense. A narrow formation like that is almost always susceptible to attacks from wide as you don't have anyone helping those wingbacks, who are thinking attack more than defense.