joshr100

Reaction score
Is it just me that finds this game (when playing with lower league teams) is too hard.

I started unemployed, got the swindon job, they was 22nd when I took over had 7 wins on the trot in the league. Lost in the cups but since then I have gone 15!!! games without a win. One of the teams I first beat 3-0 I then lost 4-0 the next time I played them.

Ive tried everything to try and change my luck around but NOTHING works!

And before people say I am a rubbish manager, I have found success easy to come by in the premier league with a range of team (man utd, west brom even wigan)

Is the only way that you can achieve good things with a lower league team by going to the so called 'bigger, richer clubs' i.e. southampton, huddersfield, crawley???

Rofl, i won the Champions League with Pescara once.

Back on topic, it's quite normal about this being hard, it should be hard. Or did you honestly expect to win everything on your way in one single season?
Second, i think you won 7 games with some luck and a good strategy at that time. Lets say you use a simple 4-3-3 system and won against a 4-4-2 playing team. What if that team countered your scheme or just used another tactic? There are lots of reasons why you lose more than you used to.

It's all about motivation really.....if your team are good or below when it comes to motivation then they will struggle in most games

You just need to have patience, perseverance and the persistence to tweak your tactics every game, little by little, in order to get the small yet decisive advantages over your opponent. Reading scout reports, looking at who is odds-on to win and knowing your players are all benefactors in what will win you games, get you more equipped with the game and expand ways in order to be successful.

I myself am doing this with Atletico Madrid and La Liga time and time again has opponents that can easily break down your teams and get the better of them - especially at home. Just read what the scout reports say, listen to your assistant manager and put in the effort so that you are more than likely to get the result you are aiming for. Small things make a big difference.

I got that with Wycombe, brilliant form in the League 1, then lost in the Johnstone Paint Trophy and now have lost the last 5 games in a row :L

If you are playing without a summer transfer update then I suppose it isn't unrealistically hard, seeming as Swindon were relegated from League 1 last season.

Rofl, i won the Champions League with Pescara once. Back on topic, it's quite normal about this being hard, it should be hard. Or did you honestly expect to win everything on your way in one single season?Second, i think you won 7 games with some luck and a good strategy at that time. Lets say you use a simple 4-3-3 system and won against a 4-4-2 playing team. What if that team countered your scheme or just used another tactic? There are lots of reasons why you lose more than you used to.
Of course I didn't expect to win every game. The point I was trying to make was that I started like a house on fire untouchable then after one defeat my team falls apart and nothing I do changes that. I am now in jan and hoping to sort my squad out with some transfers (in and out) an hopefully build for next season and try to find a solid consistent tactic.

What i find key is keeping your players happy, occasionally when you have a bit of time with no games, even if its only a week arrange a friendly against a non league team which you should then thump, which will get morale high and players to play better. And tbh its easy to achieve Glory with any premier league team even blackpool, keep them up and gradually build then your laughing.

Aha, i misunderstood. My apologies.

What Adman278 said seems to help. Tho i doubt you have a free week or even a few free days with a lower league team.
Your shouts could be important too. If you say 'i expect a win' against every team your team may give you the finger, specially against a stronger team.

Lower league management is like the easiest thing on the game (if you don't use work permits ;))

Patience mate , patience.

i managed a 2 tier russian club on the winter, and they were lying 17th. i was unemplyed and i went and took the job. that hard part was improving squad morale, from bad to good. then juts 1 month left to the regular season, im placed 3rd, which is the promotion playoffs spot, and the team is freeking happy.

imaging my commitment, making it from close relegation spot to promotion playoffs.

u just need patience and commitment.

Thanks for all the comments it's helped motivate me to try and achieve good things with the club il give it a go when I get back from work :)

It's not just about finding a good tactic, it's about making adjustments depending on who and how you are playing. You might have a decent tactic than wins you your first bunch of games, but other managers will start working out how you play and counter this. I always watch games in Extended Highlights, or Full Match if it's tight. I like to see how they are playing. If certain players are giving the ball away too often, or trying to running with the ball but getting tackled all the time, if a player is failing with a lot of long shots, then you can do something about it. And it's the same with watching the opposition. They might have someone running the game in between the midfield and strikers, you can put someone on him. When I play against Man City Tevez always has a shocker. He hardly gets a touch, and if he manages a shot it's very rarely on target. FM is the opposite, it's very 'realistic'!

I've noticed that managing lower team clubs is a lot more about man management than with higher clubs. The players seem much more fragile personality wise, and you do get a bit more variety in the types of mentalities you have to deal with.

Pay attention to the following:

• Squad personality
  • Player personalities (even Balanced players will respond to either praise, support, or demands)
  • MASTER your team talks, individual talks, press conferences and player interactions.
  • Expected end-of-season standing
For team selection, anyone whose condition isn't at least 95% or their last game, or last 5 games are below 6.90, I will typically not play them. They become available for the reserves to improve their fitness and morale.

At the end of a 17 game winless streak, you obviously won't have much to choose from. However, you probably have players in your Reserves or Youth team that are doing well, or at least in a better mental condition. Don't be afraid to use them and sit the first-team players who are disappointing. Loan and youth players really can bring a lift if your main squad is down in the dumps. Also schedule friendlies midweek when morale hits rock bottom!

A lot of you have said arrange mid-week friendlies but this surely will affect my already quite low player fitness levels. And usually when in the lower leagues you play a mid-week game at least every two weeks.

A lot of you have said arrange mid-week friendlies but this surely will affect my already quite low player fitness levels. And usually when in the lower leagues you play a mid-week game at least every two weeks.

Yes that is true. You have to look ahead in your schedule and pick the best times to schedule. If the circumstances don't fit, making them available for the Reserves is the option you'll mostly go with. Also look for the matches you really feel you can win, and rest your players from the midweek game, or even the previous weekend game as well.

Why don't you post a screenshot of your current roster, reserve roster, and schedule of games when you get a chance.

Do you ever look at your Assistant Manager's teamtalk feedback? See where your talks have had an affect and pick out a couple key players that you think you could boost with your talk each week.

Lastly, why are you winless? Lack of goals? Goals being given up late in the game? Sloppy defense/goalie?