Reaction score
It's nearly January, I'm Manchester United, 2nd in the table with our main problems being defensively. Should get at least £30 mil Jan budget as I actually made a profit in summer.

Was pretty gutted to find that Mats Hummels had signed a new long-term contract at Dortmund. I had him in mind to be my replacement for Rio Ferdinand. Because of the contract, the scout has said that we'd need to pay at least £27 million to get him.

He's obviously not worth that much, but he is definitely a top defender with his peak years ahead of him. He also plays the defender 'cover' role, which Ferdinand does at the moment.

I badly want him in my team tbh, but wouldn't be prepared to part with more than £18 million to bring him in. Should I start making positive comments about him in the media, and putting in very low bids to get him unsettled? Has anyone tried this technique in the past?

Every 10 days from now, praise/admire/talk about interest on him, put 15mil bids constantly and then on deadline day put in an 18mil offer, if previously you haven't gotten anywhere. It should be good providing if he hasn't got an amazing loyalty attribute.

Every 10 days from now, praise/admire/talk about interest on him, put 15mil bids constantly and then on deadline day put in an 18mil offer, if previously you haven't gotten anywhere. It should be good providing if he hasn't got an amazing loyalty attribute.

Ok thanks, I'm now into January, and have been putting in gradually increasing £10 million bids. Will maybe start putting in £15 mil ones. Feel cautious about paying over the odds for him, want to get the club out of debt also.

But on the other hand, we've conceded 24 goals from 21 games, which isn't really good enough. Teams as low as 14th have conceded less than us, but we've got an amazing attack. So if we could solidify the defence, then you'd think we could become an absolute machine.

It's a dilemma, maybe I'll see if I can sell a player to balance the books a bit.

Deal done, Hummels signed! Klopp didn't take too kindly to me constantly unsettling his player, but it meant I could knock down the price. £22.5 million is still a lot but I think he can repay that, hopefully the clean sheets will start to rack up now!