WouterVW

Reaction score
Although he never explicitly asked me about it, one of my youngsters (Nathan Mills) wanted to get a chance in the first team this season.
View attachment 238901

I've been obliging somewhat, especially because he wouldn't sign a new contract until I did. Out of the 21 league games we've played so far he's started in 3 and been a substitute in 2. In the cup competitions he's played 5 of our 7 games so far, all as a starter. However, the Promises screen still has a yellow dot behind his name:
View attachment 238900

I know it happens that a player will ask for more football and one of the responses comes down to "You need to make progress in training first." but I don't think I can initiate this talk, right? So is there something else I need to do? Or does this simply mean I haven't used him sufficiently yet?

Last edited:
Based on the comment wants a chance in the first team this season. It will be a promise that lasts the duration of the season, so the yellow dot will remain throughout and only clear at the end of the season, then based on how many games he's played will decide whether the promise was kept, based on how much you've played him so far and if this continues at that rate then I'm sure he'd feel he has been given a chance. However if you feel he isn't performing and drop him then maybe it could hamper this, but I'd say the team is bigger than one player so that would be down to you to decide.

Thanks for giving me your view on it! That's what I was thinking as well, but since there were only 99 days left on the progress bar, it couldn't correspond to a full season. So then I thought it might be half a season and he'd assess his situation then. But in that case I'd still expect the dot and description to be more descriptive as to how it's progressing, as happens with other promises. Regardless of that, it is now January and he might get a contract offer from another club. He's in the final year of his current deal and he still won't sign another one because he's "currenly unhappy at the club". Little *******. :p

I have just noticed that the dot has gone green! He's started in 2 more games since my previous post (1 league, 1 cup) and now it says "Looking forward to finishing working on an area of his game in order to get his chance in the first team." So now I'm wondering if maybe I promised him some first team football months ago on the condition he'd improve on a certain aspect of his game. He certainly could improve on his technical ability (atm he's a very technically limited left back and I play with high, supporting WBs). Regardless, he still won't sign a deal but, considering the dot turned green, I'm hoping he'll come around soon. Before any other club notices his potential.

Start him more than bringing on as a sub. And just take it off anytime during the game.
That's the only way to keep that promise thing green.
I mean start him every alternate game till the promise is over.

It sounds like you are going about it the right way at least. Also take xtremeRED's advice too if need be.

I find sometimes they can be misleading, Lingard for me has demanded a move away and said he'd only stay if we are promoted. At the moment it looks like we can as we are 13 points clear halfway through the season but the promise shows as "Failed" even though it can't fail until the season is over haha!

Yeah, thanks guys. I'll be starting him in as many games as I can afford atm (fighting for the League 1 title) just to be safe. In a couple of months, when things have run their course, I'll post an update on how it went.

That's quite a funny anecdote about Lingard, I'd say it should at least read something like "Alright, yeah, we're on the right track!" :p

So it seems that I indeed had to keep starting him to keep the dot green. I had been starting him in the odd game here and there (not every other game though) but 9 days before the end of the promise period I noticed the dot had gone back to orange at some point. So I started him in the only game we still had within those 9 days but it wasn't enough. He decided I'd failed to deliver on my promise and was reportedly looking to move clubs. So I said in the media that I wanted him to stay and started him in the next game as well. Now it could also have something to do with the fact that we happened to secure promotion in that game, but after the match he stated that he wanted to stay and accepted the new contract I offered him.

All's well that ends well :p