Updating iPod Touch to 4.2

Cam!

Reaction score
Ok well I'm finally updating my iPod (3rd gen 32GB) to 4.2. I'm only just doing it now because I have jailbroken my iPod and wasn't too bothered. It's currently on version 3.13.

Anyway I clicked update but it's not updating it's just been backing up for like an hour and the bar just hasn't moved. I've already cancelled it once and restarted it but it just did the same.

Anyone know what to do? (Please see screenshot)

Last edited:
you definetly got itunes updated the latest patch?

you may need to have the earlier patches installed before you can download the very latest version

you may need to have the earlier patches installed before you can download the very latest version

Well I clicked update and it said I needed 10.1 iTunes to get 4.2 on my iPod.

Try the iTunes Diagnostic. Click Help > Run Diagnostics

If that does not work, then try a different computer. That worked for me when i ran the diagnostic and everything was still fine.

Try the iTunes Diagnostic. Click Help > Run Diagnostics

If that does not work, then try a different computer. That worked for me when i ran the diagnostic and everything was still fine.

Thanks I'll try that

I was wondering earlier Cam!, if you can keep Cydia, Installous etc when you update th jailbroken iPod touch, I want to update it but not lose Cydia or Installous.

Whenever you update your ipod, you lose everything!

I was wondering earlier Cam!, if you can keep Cydia, Installous etc when you update th jailbroken iPod touch, I want to update it but not lose Cydia or Installous.

Yeah that's why I haven't updated for ages because I would lose all jailbreak stuff but I can just do it again.

Whenever you update your ipod, you lose everything!

Just run those diagnostics and I still have the same problem so I was wondering I might as well just restore my iPod then just update and start from new?

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Don't really want to restore though.

unplug, put in dfu mode and the restore, also reset computer.

You cannot go back to the normal state of your ipod. Once in DFU mode you can only update/restore your ipod.

I'm gunna lose everything but never mind. At least I get the benefits of 4.2!

Now this! It says it can't restore and my iPod now just has a white screen. :S:'(

Try restarting your computer and try again. If that does not work, then I am afraid I dn't know what else you can do, except trying another computer.

Ok I've restored it now, thanks everyone for your help.