Dickybran

Banned
Reaction score
I've just taken over Inter halfway through the 2013 season. I have Lucio and Andrea Ranocchia as my starting defensive pair. I've always had a stopper and cover partnership in the past, but am not sure if I can do this with these two. I'm also unsure whether to have them set to tight marking, closing down or stand off. I always think if I have them tight marking then they are going to lose their man if the ball is knocked past them.

I'm bizarrely in the same situation (same team, same year, same defensive partnership o_O) and I've had the same problem. I let in 6 goals over 2 legs to Real simply because Higuain was able to get in behind my defenders. In normal games I play with them both as CB-Defense and a slightly deep line. When playing vs fast strikers, I tend to drop Ranocchia to cover and play Mariga as an anchorman. This works well; Ranocchia drops deep to sweep up balls and keep behind the striker whilst Mariga will frequently drop back to cover his position. Lupcio is given tight marking and Ranocchia is given high closing down.

I have to mention that this is very much a stopgap until I can get a better CB (Phil Jones would be ideal) to partner Ranocchia. You will concede a few more than you'd expect, especially vs a really quick intelligent striker.

Isn't Lucio actually really quick on the game? What are his pace / acceleration attributes?

you really start a new thread for anything don't you? please can you just ask all the questions you have in 1 thread... thank you!

use them both on defend and set a high d line!

My defence is actually solid. I've only conceded about 3 in 8 games. I'm actually asking because I wanted to know if I should be having them set to tight marking or not. I play quite deep so you don't have the problem of players getting in behind them. Lucio's pace stats is actually about 14/15 which I was surprised at, he's slow IRL, not sure what his acceleration is. I've signed Raphael Varane who seems to be filling in fine.

lol, so why start a thread then? Varane is brilliant!

Because I have other saves with teams that are not as good as Inter. I have struggled with QPR, Rotherham and Lincoln. I have the stopper/cover settings for their defence, no tight marking and closing down often, but am wondering if I should apply the same tactics I'm using with Inter.

you really start a new thread for anything don't you? please can you just ask all the questions you have in 1 thread... thank you!

use them both on defend and set a high d line!

Surely a deeper line would make more sense? Also I'd say play one if not both as a stopper, although playing two stoppers can be a bad idea :p

I'm still struggling with my defence. I have Varane, Dann, Coloccini and Steven Taylor. None of them are particularly quick so play quite deep. I have been trying to play them as a cover/stopper partnership. I've been tinkering with the closing down sliders. I tend to have my covering defender on own area (5 clicks), and my stopper own half (7 clicks), but this still doesn't seem right. Any advice?

slow defender= offside trap both on defend no stopper and cover