Alienman

Reaction score
I have been trying to use a Stopper-Cover pairing in the center of my defense but neither seem to be playing the role properly. The stopper isn't stepping up to close down players between the defense and the midfield, and the cover isn't sitting behind the defensive line to clean up lose balls. What adjustments can be made to make this pairing more effective in my tactic?

Players that suit the role?
Speed and Strength are always a bonus for defenders ;)

Try to play with their mentality and closing down. It must be the problem

I think that every role in a tactic works good only if the other roles are well chosen and set up. Take a closer look to the other player roles on the pich, especially at the DM and Full/Wing Backs. If you think that everything is fine, then give them some time. Personally I never sign a DC if he has his acceleration under 11. I like fast defenders more than tall and big ones.

Sebastion, How would the role of my full backs and midfielders effect who the central defenders act?

I am guessing if a midfielder sits in the gap between midfield and defense, there is less of a necessity for the defender to step forward. I am playing a 4-4-1-1, so there is no DM but one of the CMs is set to defend. If I was to change that to support he should stay in line with the other midfielders more then leaving more room for the central defender to step into the gap.

Does that sound right? I would test it myself but I am in class right now so will have to wait a few hours.

:) In my time zone, here is 3 o'clock in the morning. I was just giving you a sugestion. There are factors that affect how your CB's act. Like pitch dimensions, defensive line (high, deep) etc ... Pay some attention to these factors either.

I guess I was justing being optimistic and hoping someone would come in with the perfect answer that would solve everything. I'll will fidget with those things and see what comes from.

Its night class, which sucks, so its like 8pm here. And I still have another hour and a half before its over and should probably do some school work, but who am I kidding, I am going to play FM when I get out of here.