fraserd123

Reaction score
After looking through a few threads I got the feeling that people stick with 1 tactic and use it all season long.

just out of interest do you use the same tactic all season

or do you have a few different tactical set ups?

I was always under the impression that having at least 2 different tactical set ups was best so the opposition doesn't get used to the way you play.

Last edited:
I have three. Worked in my first 3 seasons by rotating the tactics. Now in my fourth season, we're not performing with any so I may just stick to the one.

I have three. Worked in my first 3 seasons by rotating the tactics. Now in my fourth season, we're not performing with any so I may just stick to the one.

You actually sound very much like my self in that regard. First season I also had 3 and worked a treat but then in my second season it just fell apart so thinking of going with 1 tactic for a while see how that goes.

My feeling is that the AI is not that intelligent to make the difference between a whole different tactic and just another formation. I started in pre-season with only one tactic 4-2-4 (4-2-2-2 with wingers to be more precise) with attacking mentality, very fluid, more direct passing, higher tempo, hassle opponents, use offside trap. After my team had a good familiarity with this tactic, I added new formations (4-1-3-2 with wingers, 4-1-1-2-2, 4-1-2-1-2 with wingers, 4-4-2 ) with the same tactics. Familiarity remains high because my team was already used to all (mentality, passing style, closing, creative freedom, marking, tempo and width) except the new formation.

My feeling is that the AI is not that intelligent to make the difference between a whole different tactic and just another formation. I started in pre-season with only one tactic 4-2-4 (4-2-2-2 with wingers to be more precise) with attacking mentality, very fluid, more direct passing, higher tempo, hassle opponents, use offside trap. After my team had a good familiarity with this tactic, I added new formations (4-1-3-2 with wingers, 4-1-1-2-2, 4-1-2-1-2 with wingers, 4-4-2 ) with the same tactics. Familiarity remains high because my team was already used to all (mentality, passing style, closing, creative freedom, marking, tempo and width) except the new formation.

some good advice in there mate thanks for sharing.

I have three very different tactics, one's attacking possession based 4-2-3-1 (which I use at home regardless of the opposition), a 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1) to crowd up my half and mark opposition's AM by my DM. I play this in away games against smaller teams, this is quick passing tactic, direct passing not retain possession and higher tempo, mentality as control. Third one is counter attacking when visiting big teams, I just sit back and wait for a break-through, it's 4-1DM-4-1.

I normally use ONE all season.
My teams normally struggle for results in November (maybe because the AI teams got mine figured out).
But the consistency and good results came back later in the season. Once its 'familiarised'.
If the tactic is good enough, I'll do just fine. Especially if the familiarity if full.
Logically, knowing how we play doesnt mean the AI will manage to handle it.
In reality, everybody claims they know exactly how the big team plays, but it doent stop them from winning.

I was pretty consistent my first season with Udinese using one tactic, it never appeared that the opposition had figured out the way to stop my tactic.

I did try different tactics, mostly to because its harder to maintain possession against the bigger clubs or on the road, but my team was awful when playing a direct game (Udinese's strikers have the worst heading in Serie A, I signed some target men). The other times I switched up my tactic was when I couldn't play my favoured tactic due to injuries, switched from 5-3-2 to 4-1-2-1-2, so not a major change.

I think for this season I might try a 5-3DM-2 along side my 5-3AM-2. My only fear is that my two strikers will become isolated from the midfield.

i use the same tactic till i start losing/drawing to teams i should be beating then swap to my secondary tactic and repeat, also if i get a smaller team in a cup game i play my 3rd formation

Always use one tactic that works wonders during the mid to second half of the season, and then it ALWAYS falls apart in second season no matter what tactic and no matter what team I use.

I've got three different tactical setups. All the same since my first season, a 433,424 (with aml/amr) and a 532 (with wbl/wbr, 2 mcs, and amc). First season I used a 433, second season a 532, this season a 433. Pretty much use the same tactic all season, but just altering it a tiny bit depending on if I think i'll need to adapt for a a certain reason.

I would say i have one i play 80-90% of the season, and a couple of variations, i usually like to keep, a one, two and 3 striker formation on the build.. one to play all year round, one to shut up shop and one to got for it.. i might also change for small cup games if i'm bringing the kids in and i know its gonna be a whitewash, or if the league is over and nothing to play for.

I use 4-2-3-1 for most of the matches but vs teams with 3 strikers or with 2 strikers and 1 AM i drop one CM deep, that's pretty much it.Sometimes i do minor changes to my team instructions but i feel proud that i can dictate my game to most of the teams.I'm playing AC Milan and I'm currently in semi finals of CL without any transfers, so it works.

I have a main formation that most of my games will be played using, tend to have a very attacking route one style tactic along with a more defensively sound one also for certain times, find them fun to use in random cup games too.

Every other change is usually just a minor tweak for big games or to exploit a weakness.

I usually use one tactic all season but that is for testing purposes in case I would like to release it. If I am simply playing the game, I will be changing a lot according to opposition or injuries, sometimes even to cover certain players.