Van Nistelrooy apologises to Sir Alex after five years

dasty

Reaction score
Sir Alex Ferguson's five-year feud with Ruud van Nistelrooy has come to an end after the former Manchester United striker phoned his old manager to patch things up.

Van Nistelrooy left Old Trafford under a cloud in the summer of 2006 after falling out spectacularly with Ferguson over tactics and team selection issues at United.

The former Dutch international - now at Hamburg in Germany - is not the only player to leave United in unhappy circumstances. David Beckham, Jaap Stam and Dwight Yorke - for example - were all ushered out of the door after relations with Ferguson broke down.
But Van Nistelrooy is perhaps the first player to make an attempt to patch things up with a manager for whom he scored more than 100 goals.

Van Nistelrooy said: 'I had been thinking about it for a while and talking it through with my wife.

'She suggested I sent Ferguson a text message to see if he was willing to talk so I sent him a message asking if I could call and he replied to say: 'OK call me at this date and time'.

'I rang him and he answered and said: "OK, go ahead."

'I said I wanted to apologise for what had happened and he said "OK, I appreciate that, when we meet again it will be OK."

Van Nistelrooy was a huge success at United. winning the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup after joining from PSV Eindhoven in 2001.

But his relationship with Ferguson deteriorated at the end as Ferguson became disenchanted with his star striker's attitude. Van Nistelrooy, for example, famously clashed with Cristiano Ronaldon in training and was then left on the substitutes' bench as United beat Wigan in the 2006 League Cup Final.

Van Nistelrooy added: 'Two or three times every year I would think to myself what a shame it was that it ended like it did with Ferguson. I wanted to do something about it.
'I was really pleased with the phone call.

'I said to him: "Those five years at Man United were fantastic, and working with you, and it's unfortunate what happened."

'If I encounter Ferguson again - and I really hope that will happen - I will embrace him and then it will all be finished.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Ferguson-end-year-feud.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Van Nistelrooy is an absolute legend so I'm really glad that he had finally patched things up with Sir Alex Ferguson.

Well done for him. Nistlerooy is was one of my favourite Man United players of all time and I think he certainly ranks up there with Cantona and the holy trinity. We always knew we had a sure fire goalscorer and committed striker to rely on, unlike today. One of the good guys in football as a whole, keeps his head down and himself to himself.

A joy to hear and and Fergie have made the peace. Let's hope he comes to United to work behind the scenes when he retires.

I loved Ruud, probably the best finisher Manchester United ever had. It was sad to see him leave the way he did. But at least they have made peace now.

Goal Machine - Feed The Ruud and He Will Score More Than The Goat and The Yak put together

hold on a minute...ruud was a class act and will always be remembered but he certainly wasnt anywhere near the likes of Cantona who gave his career to United. If he had of stayed then he would have made it in2 the hall of fame but he didnt! He decided to question fergie and ****** up and as a result he was sold. Oh and if you wanna talk about the best finishers then lets not forget ruuds team mate...OLE SOLSKJAER who was a God when it came to finishing..the best iv EVER seen at United when it came down to finishing..Now that man is a United legend..never questioned Fergie no matter how many times he was benched..Ruud????well he should have known better.

oh and one other thing...stam and fergie DID patch things up..not only did Jaap admit was in the wrong but it was he who recommended fabio and rafael to fergie when he was a scout for United (H)

good job, admitting ur mistake is always the first step

hold on a minute...ruud was a class act and will always be remembered but he certainly wasnt anywhere near the likes of Cantona who gave his career to United. If he had of stayed then he would have made it in2 the hall of fame but he didnt! He decided to question fergie and ****** up and as a result he was sold. Oh and if you wanna talk about the best finishers then lets not forget ruuds team mate...OLE SOLSKJAER who was a God when it came to finishing..the best iv EVER seen at United when it came down to finishing..Now that man is a United legend..never questioned Fergie no matter how many times he was benched..Ruud????well he should have known better.

oh and one other thing...stam and fergie DID patch things up..not only did Jaap admit was in the wrong but it was he who recommended fabio and rafael to fergie when he was a scout for United (H)

Sorry Ruud is a club legend and was definitely as good as Cantona in his own right. He also kept Solskjaer on the bench most of the time.
Where as Cantona like to show boat and was a bit eccentric in his play, people respected his personality more than his football. Nistlerooy was the perfect opposite. Humble, reliable, a good old fashioned striker, non of these step-overs and trying to dribble it around the box like Messi. Give him the ball and 9/10 times he'll get it in the net.

He appears on nearly everyone's dream Manchester United allstars, along with the likes of Cantona, Giggs, Bruce, Irwin, Keane, Staam. I find it rather an insult to say that he should not be considered a United great.

Now reports say that he is going to Real Madrid after all... hope his relationship with Ronaldo is ok. Because he might be playing with him in a few days again.

Sorry Ruud is a club legend and was definitely as good as Cantona in his own right. He also kept Solskjaer on the bench most of the time.
Where as Cantona like to show boat and was a bit eccentric in his play, people respected his personality more than his football. Nistlerooy was the perfect opposite. Humble, reliable, a good old fashioned striker, non of these step-overs and trying to dribble it around the box like Messi. Give him the ball and 9/10 times he'll get it in the net.

He appears on nearly everyone's dream Manchester United allstars, along with the likes of Cantona, Giggs, Bruce, Irwin, Keane, Staam. I find it rather an insult to say that he should not be considered a United great.
dude im just far too hungover to even argue with ye lol XD

Great player, but something always interested me about him. United won the title three times in three years before he came, and repeated the feat after he left, but in the time he spent there? One title in five years. Just a thought.

Great player, but something always interested me about him. United won the title three times in three years before he came, and repeated the feat after he left, but in the time he spent there? One title in five years. Just a thought.

Simple really. He joined us in the worst time still carried our attack single handedly You cant win titles with likes of Djemaba Djemba, Klebersons.

Ronaldo stepped up in 2006-07 and we made imp signing in Carrick who brought so much balance to our team.

To put in simple terms, RVN joined during our transition period so many United supporters hold his name as one of the most unlucky player not to have won more leagues along with Robson.

Yes, sure he is one of Man U's greats but after 5 years, I'm sorry but in my opinion it too late.
Also another thing how can you question SAF about tactics :O

why'd he still have his number?:)
glad they have patched things up, he was a great player for the club.

Simple really. He joined us in the worst time still carried our attack single handedly You cant win titles with likes of Djemaba Djemba, Klebersons.

Ronaldo stepped up in 2006-07 and we made imp signing in Carrick who brought so much balance to our team.

To put in simple terms, RVN joined during our transition period so many United supporters hold his name as one of the most unlucky player not to have won more leagues along with Robson.

Fair enough. Superb player though, anywhere within the penalty area was a good bet for a goal with him.

Yes, sure he is one of Man U's greats but after 5 years, I'm sorry but in my opinion it too late.

Quite easily.
Ferguson is human, you know.

Last edited:
Glad to see such things happen in today's climate where we al blame footballers for having oversized ego's, well done Ruud :)

Easily. Ferguson is mediocre, tactically. His assistants have often been the ones to carry the team in this manner, with Ferguson excelling at man management.

Goal machine... maybe.
He had GPS for goals :DDD

Jesus Christ Guys Spot a Joke

Anyways back on topic: Fair enough I rate him for doing it but c'mon surely its too late!!

You could understand Ruuds frustration at the time to be fair. One minute David beckham is floating in beautiful pin point crosses and your hammering in goals left and right from them.
Then Beckham goes to Madrid and Ronaldo turns up who was a show pony at the start, and didnt pass much to him. Then Roy Keane goes public saying Ruud doesnt try as hard anymore and has got sloppy by not scoring goals, despite him not recieving Beckhams service and Keane isnt even spoken to by Fergusson about publicly blasting Ruud.
The only mistake Ruud made was making Ferguson pick either him or Ronaldo and Fergusson went for the future prospect.