Vanarama North Season 2 Planning Help

sbattisti

Reaction score
Need some help from you FM veterans. I'm doing a season in Vanarana North. With luck, I'll get promoted, but either way, this is literally my first season ever in FM. I don't totally understand loans and transfers yet. My squad is entirely players on one-year contracts or non-contracts, which is about par for the course for Vanarama North I guess. It's early September right now.

I'd like advice on what I should be doing for NEXT season already. Should I already be trying to sign players to contracts starting NEXT season? Or am I safe to just wait until the end of the current season to start that process? I have almost no transfer budget, so these are likely to be primarily out of contract or free transfers I'll be going after. But I definitely need some roster upgrades!

I'm also not sure what to do with my U18 squad. There's only about 10 players on it. Should I be looking to scout and bring in young kids for that squad? With the crappy youth facilities in Vanarama North, and questionable coaching, do I stand any chance at developing players regardless?

Advice appreciated!

Hi mate, ultimately depends on your aspirations for the club, but I'd suggest short-term signings to get you promoted. Don't sign players on new contracts until the end of the Season when you know where you'll be next year, unless you have a prospect who you simply cannot afford to lose on a free. Players get injured, don't progress, or simply turn rubbish, and you don't want to sign them on for another year on higher wages unless they fit the squad and perform well.

Until you are in League Two you will struggle to find players that will progress and grow into great players in the higher leagues, and you don't have a very big budget so don't waste it on players that will only be good for the Vanarama Leagues in a few years as you - hopefully - won't be there by then.

Loan transfers are your friend, and from there sign players that will improve your squad and not just back-up players as you don't want to waste wages on players that won't play.

Hope that makes sense.

Non-League saves are tough to get and keep decent players on long term contracts, as Jedd95 said it depends on what you want to do. If you are just at a club to build your own reputation look short term as although you may earth a gem of a young player (there are some available on freebies) it won't help you in the short tern to make a name for yourself. If however, you are in for the long haul you will need to look more at your coaching team especially in your youth set up, your first team squad will need to have a few older short contract players who will help gain promotion and keep you in a higher league whilst you develop any youngsters. Loans are a great way to do that but be careful do you really want to help one of your rivals young players to develop for a short term gain for your side.