Timsky

Reaction score
Ive been using Otamendi and Marchena for a season and a half now in a 4-5-1 formation, first season i was leaking alot of goals but i put that down to my GK Moya whos stats are far from impressive. At the start of season 2 i bought Akinfeev and hoped i could start plugging that leaking defence but it just seems to have got worse. Otamendi was playing really badly so i decided to check this forum and many people suggested playing him as a limited defender/cover with a tall player whos got good heading/jumping as his defensive partner.

Now Verkhovtsev seems alright for the job and as i spent alot of my budget on Akinfeev and Dortmund want 25m for Subotic he is a good cheap option but im not sure if he would be up to it as people seem to recommend him for Championship/Mid to lower premiership standard.

I was also wondering what would be the best role for a towering defender along side Otamendi? And as Akinfeev is quite a top class goalkeeper should i use him as a sweeper keeper or keep him on standard? Im quite new to the game too so if anyone has any other suggestions for my Valencia team (tactics etc) it would be welcome.

I always have a Ball playing defender with a Stopper Duty and a Centreal defender with a defend duty along with 2 attacking full backs. Try playing Otamendi as a Limited defender with a cover duty and Verkhovtsev as a central defender with a defend duty. Keep Akinfeev on the standard duty. Hope this helped.

All I can say is I pair him with otamendi (Limited defenders /defend for both-0creativity ultra defensive mentality PI) and I'm caning it in Bundesliga play. A good defemder but he's also an offensive threat. He's my first choice penalty taker, a monster on corners aimed at the back post . 20 goals last season and 18 before. Both have "plays short simple passes" "marks opponents tightly"
and "no through balls" "shoots with power" ppm's

My keeper is Kevin Trapp - who? yeah that's how weak my keeper area is. And I conceded less than a goal a game last season even with me playing youngsters for the last 3 games because the championship had been wrapped up

I have an anchorman infront to help them a bit but my fullbacks go raiding down the flanks so they are pretty isolated often

Last edited:
Well i got Verkhovtsev on a free so i will have to make do for a few months with Marchena until the end of the season. Ive conceeded 35 goals in 33 games so far which (as an inexperienced player i dunno if its normal) seems quite bad considering Barca have conceeded 14 goals less and Real Madrid 10 goals less and im 13 points off the pace when i expected to be mounting a serious championship challenge. Opposing players seem to be just walking through my defence and i score -5 goals a season from corners because my team are all rarther small (sold zigic)

show me a screenie of verkhovtsen plz!
U could get kryvtsov or naldo tho, great at heading and jumping, beasts in the air!

Mahamdou Sakho and Matias Jorgensen are good options in toweing defenders.

Post screenshots of your formation aswell please.I wanna see if I can help you. :)

Verkhovtsev is a beast for me at Arsenal as a limited defender (stopper). Shuts down any striker he's faced with.

Ive attached a picture of my formation, .tac of what im using and a screenshot of Verkhovtsev.

Standard GK
2 automatic fullbacks
2 limited defenders
Ball winning midfielder / defend
Deep lying playmaker / support
2 attacking wingers
A poacher

I did set Villa as a complete forward but he kept pushing out to the wings and dropping deeper than i wanted him to (I would like him to always play off the last defenders shoulder) so based on the description of a poacher on the actual formation screen i decided to go for it. This season i have played 22 games, won 13 drawn 3 and lost 6, scoring 39 goals and conceeding 24. I wouldnt mind 1-0 wins etc but im getting results like 3-3 etc. I aint really got amazing squard depth, apart from Villa i only got Aquino as a striker (Im used to playing LMA manager so i thought players would develop alot faster than they actually did so i mostly bought wonderkids on season 1) so i cant change my formation too drastically because i dont have the depth to do so (Valencia board are really tight with the cash)

Last edited:
Well i got Verkhovtsev on a free so i will have to make do for a few months with Marchena until the end of the season. Ive conceeded 35 goals in 33 games so far which (as an inexperienced player i dunno if its normal) seems quite bad considering Barca have conceeded 14 goals less and Real Madrid 10 goals less and im 13 points off the pace when i expected to be mounting a serious championship challenge. Opposing players seem to be just walking through my defence and i score -5 goals a season from corners because my team are all rarther small (sold zigic)

a goal a game is pretty good, a serious challenge means top 3 finish. Barca and Real have World class at every position and the way they play ingame might be possession based which can strangle teams of possesion leaving limited goalscoring opportunities helping their defence.

How are you defending orners? I have fullbacks at the post, CB mark tall player, everyone goes man mark except for one strikerwho stays forward. Also you have to give players time espeially if he speaks a different language to the rest of the team.

a goal a game is pretty good, a serious challenge means top 3 finish. Barca and Real have World class at every position and the way they play ingame might be possession based which can strangle teams of possesion leaving limited goalscoring opportunities helping their defence.

How are you defending orners? I have fullbacks at the post, CB mark tall player, everyone goes man mark except for one strikerwho stays forward. Also you have to give players time espeially if he speaks a different language to the rest of the team.

Barca and Real have awesome teams but with the right tactics you can break the top 2, i saw a guys story thread on here and he only bought Otamendi, and won the Euro cup and League in season 1. But ye Barca got such a tight defense and their game plan is give it to Messi who runs past everyone and scores or lays it off to someone and it works. Real do a similar thing with Ronaldo (Close marking and/or closing them down dont seem to work)

I dont think its my tactics so much its the fact i have a very small team, one of the smallest and weakest in the division so im loosing 90% of the contested headers. I try to always sign Spanish or Spanish speaking players as much as possible, the main reason im Valencia is because i have been a big fan of Spanish football for a long time so i like signing spanish footballers. But there is no realistic tall strong good heading spanish cb's that i could buy. Marchena has definantly gotta go last game he just picked the ball up on the 6 yard line and ran into my goal with nobody around him.

"with the right tactic"-that's the important part. If you're losing 90% of headers wouldn't it be best to stop them from getting crosses in? You can't make players stronger or jump higher overnight. You have too many guys not carrying their weight defensively. try and switch your wingers to support so they try to defend and track back or at least try to stop crosses coming in.

I never played any FM or CM before i was always an LMA manager guy and that game isnt really very indepth so i have been abit caught out. But ive tinkered a little and gone for a more compact 4-2-3-1 with 3 central attacking midfielders. Banega is a good creative CM but lacks defensive abilitys so im going to try and offload him so i can buy Veloso and partner him with Camacho who has 16/15 marking/tackling, Veloso does not quite possess the attacking ability of Banega but what he looses he makes up for in defense which will be more usefull in that postion. Im going to buy Ander who is a similar player to David Silva so i will have a front 4 of Villa, Silva, Ander and Mata (If i was going to play against them i would be worried) a protecting pairing of Camacho and Veloso and a back 4 of Matheiu (Not world class but i doubt i will have the funds to replace him yet) Verkhovtsev (Going to risk it but if he flops it im screwed since i will offload Marchena as he will just be unhappy as a sub) Otamendi (Hoping he has a better 3rd season he has an average rating of just 6.9 this season) and Azpilicueta who has been surprising reliable.

How do you guys think that will work out?

Well you guys dont seem so eager to reply but anyway.........

Started season 3 and went with what i said i would try in my last post and tbh this guy is amazing 11 goals in 24 appearences average rating of 7.8 and a rating of 9.9 in the match below (Getafe bought Marchena and Bruno my old right back in the summer haha) and Otamendi is performing so it seems ok

Going alot better now but still seem to do **** against teams with a high rep (Lost 3-0 to Barca after i had gone 5 games with conceeding lost 2-0 and 1-0 to Porto, lost 2-0 against Man City so i finished 3rd in champions league group)

Well you guys dont seem so eager to reply but anyway.........

Started season 3 and went with what i said i would try in my last post and tbh this guy is amazing 11 goals in 24 appearences average rating of 7.8 and a rating of 9.9 in the match below (Getafe bought Marchena and Bruno my old right back in the summer haha) and Otamendi is performing so it seems ok

Going alot better now but still seem to do **** against teams with a high rep (Lost 3-0 to Barca after i had gone 5 games with conceeding lost 2-0 and 1-0 to Porto, lost 2-0 against Man City so i finished 3rd in champions league group)
I see he's banging them in for you as well. attack the backpost and penalty kicks? his career average in my bundesliga save over 5 seasons is 7.58. I find even is he stuffs up he's usually bagged a goal or created one to cancel the mistake out

He scored that penalty because David Villa was out injured, rest were headers (apart from 1 30 yard screamer into the top corner lol)