Vermaelen signs new Arsenal deal

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen commits his future to the club by signing a new long-term contract.

More...

I'll be the first one to comment on this as it will probably be against most Arsenal (I'm not one of them) fans view on this.

Basically, I feel it is a daft thing to do. Vermaelen's ability isn't in question and he is very much your Daniel Agger in every way possible. A defender who can actually pass the ball and have a bit of technique is rare to find in English football, but in both of these player's cases, they're so injury prone it is unreal.

Only Arsenal would sign a player on a long term deal after he has been out for 10 months before picking up another injury again...

:D

Great news, one of the best CB's in the PL

Unlucky Arsenal, your stuck with this wally for the foreseeable future.

Great defender, stay away from injuries and he will be the heart of Arsenal's team for years to come. A future captain in my opinion.

Very pleased about this, having our best CB by far nailed down for the next few years is a good sign that we can actually keep some good players.

Basically, I feel it is a daft thing to do. Vermaelen's ability isn't in question and he is very much your Daniel Agger in every way possible. A defender who can actually pass the ball and have a bit of technique is rare to find in English football, but in both of these player's cases, they're so injury prone it is unreal.
Injury prone? In his debut season he played almost 50 games, only missing the last 4 or 5 through injury. Missing the best part of the next season through a serious injury doesn't make you injury prone.

Injury prone? In his debut season he played almost 50 games, only missing the last 4 or 5 through injury. Missing the best part of the next season through a serious injury doesn't make you injury prone.

This. Arsenal's physios ******* up and rushing him back quickly isn't his fault.

I'll bookmark the thread, if Vermaelen manages even 18 league games this season I'll admit I'm wrong.

He farts and has to take 3 months off injured.

I would like to post a facepalm pic, but it's simply not worth the effort. You are obviously devoid of a key word: knowledge.

I would like to post a facepalm pic, but it's simply not worth the effort. You are obviously devoid of a key word: knowledge.
Are you feeling okay buddy? You know, after you had that humour bypass.

Are you feeling okay buddy? You know, after you became a troll.
That doesn't really work, because I implicated that ajt09 had had some kind of operation, hence a "humour bypass" instead of a "triple heart bypass" or a "Coronary artery bypass", thus expressing my genuine concern for his well-being.
If your going to try and be as original as to try and hijack my own "joke" (and I use the term joke loosely), at least do it in the right context.

On another note, I don't think Vermaelen is a good player because he is rather injury prone and is terrible at defending crosses. Does that make me a troll, or does that make a man with an opinion...

This. Arsenal's physios ******* up and rushing him back quickly isn't his fault.

Arsenal have serious issues with their medical department. No club has this much bad luck. and the way they handled Wilshere was terrible