Very attack mentality, yet created only 8 shots

damesjond

Reaction score
I play a 4-1-4-1 or sometimes a 4-1-4-1 where the striker is an attacking midfielder, I play a slow tempo possession with walk ball into box. Still I create lot of chances against teams like Real, Barca and Bayern

However, against United, I had to score so I went up tempo, shoot on sight, I instructed all my midfielders to try more risky passes, yet created only 8 shots, I don't get it it.

View attachment 233964

I just feel like even if the chances/shots are bad shots, blocked shots etc at least that's better and less emasculating than being stifled.
My players are good players with high ratings for passing and dribbling and long shot. A weakness is that I don't have an out of out striker, I only have one striker who plays as a dlf support when I don't go strikerless but I just don't see how you are in a must win game and you go gungho attacking and still create that few chances.

Looking for advice, I won the champions league playing this way but I think I may need a plan b. Does that mean getting a target man so I can play Tony Pullis style football?

Sorry for the rant.

Strikerless tactics rely on good movement. They also mostly rely on drawing the opposition out, which might not happen if they have no interest in being drawn out. You didn't have much possession, so you either lost it too easily or they kept it too easily. Either way, it wasn't working.