do you use counter for away and control for home or does it just depend on opposition?

Counter is the default tactic, only use control if your opponent is very defensive or for the last 15 mins if you are chasing a goal.

Last edited:
Hi Zydar,

This looks so much like a tactic I did in FM15, I did try to recreate it but it did not work, but then again last year overload was boss!! ;) I like this formation very much. I am currently testing a 4-1-2-3 tactic with Wide Target Man and also clear ball to flanks, Mahrez did 27 goals and 20 assists in Will's Leicester testing league. Could be fun to see if it also would work as well for you if you are up for testing it? PI's: Close down more, Mark Tighter, More direct passing, More Risky Passes.

OP updated with the 4-2-3-1 version.

4-2-3-1 version

This is played on standard team shape. You only have to change to counter when defending the lead or if your opponent got too many shots.

2182478-20160329-Wx7bRZ.jpg

2182479-20160329-uHEXaT.jpg

why the counter version use offside trap and higher defensive line?

why the counter version use offside trap and higher defensive line?

Playing counter doesn't mean to sit back deeply. It means a general mentality and how the players are positioned.

Playing counter doesn't mean to sit back deeply. It means a general mentality and how the players are positioned.

Ok, so for matches where i'm preticted to win i should go with counter or control?

Ok, so for matches where i'm preticted to win i should go with counter or control?

Use control when:

- you are struggling on a match and looking for the winning goal

- your opponent is heavily relying on counter attacks

HYDRA is best FM16 tactic :) I'm test veszdelem but hydra is still best :D

I'm trying these tactics in national league with Grimsby town I played 13 friendly's( I played them not the asst). Only defeat was a 3-2 home loss to Celtic's 1st team I've played 5 league games only conceeding 1 goal and winning all 5 league games. I'm using the 4231 version at home and the 4321 away there working like a charm I will post screen shots later on in the season but just wanted to say great tactics good work

I'm trying these tactics in national league with Grimsby town I played 13 friendly's( I played them not the asst). Only defeat was a 3-2 home loss to Celtic's 1st team I've played 5 league games only conceeding 1 goal and winning all 5 league games. I'm using the 4231 version at home and the 4321 away there working like a charm I will post screen shots later on in the season but just wanted to say great tactics good work

Screens are always welcome! I am glad it's going well, keep it up.

My striker is scoring like there is no tomorrow :D And it's a very good idea to use the 4-2-3-1 standard as a second choice.