View attachment 209556

April
April is the month that can either make or break our season. Lets take a look at how we did:

VFB Stuttgart - SV Werder Bremen

View attachment 209554
We started off really well and in the 6th minute, Ferati, who has made some massive improvements over the year opened the scoring for us. Then Timo Baumgartl picked up an injury forcing me to take him off. Bremen then got back in the game and got some good chances but either the woodwork or Tyton prevented them from scoring.

In the 41st minute Schwaab then scored with a brilliant free kick and 2 minutes later Kostic made it 3 for us. After the break Bremen pushed on and managed to score 2 goals. I was worried that this was going to be the Hertha match all over again but we quickly grabbed control of the match once more.

We failed to score however as Ginczek is simply not as sharp as he was at the beginning of the season. Luckily for us we have more players that can put the ball in the net and one of them, Kruse, did exactly that giving us a satisfying 4-2 victory.

This match really highlighted the progression that Ferati has made over the season as he put in an excellent performance.
View attachment 209553Another player who has made quite some progression over the year, Baumgartl, picked up an injury during the match causing him to be sidelined for the next 2-3 weeks.
View attachment 209552

Borussia Mönchengladbach - VFB Stuttgart
View attachment 209551
Lately we have been struggling away from home so I wasn't sure what to expect from this match.

We started off well enough and dominated possession but it was Gladbach who took the lead after Hazard converted an excellent counter attack into a goal. Insua who felt that the goal was offside then got a yellow card for abusing the officials resulting in him missing the next game against Darmstadt.

Gladbach then became the better team but we did get our fair share of chances and we managed to convert one of them right before half time leaving both teams on level terms at the break.

In the second half Gladbach continued to be the better team but some excellent saves from Tyton kept us in the game. Then totally against the run of play we grabbed the lead in the 61st minute through Ginczek and despite Gladbach's best efforts we managed to see the match out giving us a somewhat underserved win at the Borussia-Park.

Unfortunately we did suffer another injury during this match and this time it is a really bad one.
View attachment 209550As you can see Niedermeier will be out for 2-3 months and since I am not planning on extending his contract, which is set to expire at the end of the current season, this probably means that the game against Gladbach is going to be his last ever game for Stuttgart.

Then during the week another player picked up an injury
View attachment 209549Despite being a relatively unserious injury it couldn't have come at a worse time as Ginczek is now set to miss the DFB Pokal game against Red Bull Leipzig.

VFB Stuttgart - SV Darmstadt 98

View attachment 209548Despite the fact that we were missing quite a few players either through injury or through suspension I felt still confident that we could secure a good result.

That feeling was immediately crushed however as Darmstadt managed to get the lead within the first 14 seconds of the game! They continued to be the better team and even managed to extend their lead by 2 right before half time.

During the break I made it very clear to my players that this was simply unacceptable.
They seemed to listen as we were by far the much better team during the second half creating lots of good opportunities but we simply didn't convert any of them leaving us with a very costly 2-0 defeat.

Then came the semi-final against RB Leipzig, Leipzig have been doing really well this season and are currently leading the table in the 2. Bundesliga.
View attachment 209547
Given Leipzig's recent good form and our less then stellar away form I wasn't very hopeful.

RB Leipzig - VFB Stuttgart

View attachment 209545The match started well enough, both teams were fairly equal to each other and both teams created several good chances. We proved to be more lethal then them however as we grabbed the lead in the 12th minute through a Timo Werner goal.

Then however things turned sour as Gruezo picked up a second yellow card for a stupid challenge leaving us a man short with 63 minutes still left to be played. Despite Leipzig's best efforts we did manage to hold onto our narrow lead for the rest of the first half.

After the break Leipzig were determined to make something happen and as a result they got their goal in the 49th minute. The rest of the match was tight but we managed to keep the score level resulting in the match going to extra time.

I was hoping that we could take the game to penalties but RB Leipzig weren't about to let that happen and managed to score almost immediately after the restart, we then tried to push for the equaliser but it wasn't meant to be.

FC Augsburg - VFB Stuttgart

View attachment 209542Then came the Augsburg match, our away form has been terrible lately and I honestly don't know why. At the beginning of the season we were excellent away from home but now we just can't make it work.

This match was another example of that as we simply didn't turn up, Augsburg grabbed the lead in the 46th minute and while we tried we couldn't get the ball in the net. It was extra frustrating to then see Augsburg score another goal, from that point on it was all or nothing for us and we manage to grab one goal back but in the end this was another match in which we came up short and so we suffer our third consecutive defeat of the month.

Hannover 96 - VFB Stuttgart

View attachment 209543

Following our recent results a spot in the top 4 seems more and more unlikely and the Hannover game was the last bit of hope that we had left, a loss here and it would all be over.

You'd think that that would be enough motivation but you'd be wrong as we again started off in a terrible way allowing Hannover to grab a 2 goal lead after 20 minutes went by. We pulled one back immediately after they scored to make it 2-1 but that didn't seem to effect their performance.

After the restart Hannover continued in the same way that they had left of in the first-half, by scoring goals against us. Benschop scored in the 50th and 62nd minute to give them a comfortable 3 goal lead. It wasn't until late in the half that we managed to do something back as Maxim made it 4-2 but again it just wasn't good enough.

April Review

View attachment 209539
If I were to describe April in one word then it would be: disastrous.

Not only are we out of the DFB Pokal after being so close to reaching the final we have also severely underperformed in the Bundesliga make it a very realistic proposition that we will not be playing European football next year.
View attachment 209537

As you can see we are currently 6th following our terrible run, it should be noted that we are level on points with Leverkusen and only ahead of them based on our goal difference.

A top 4 spot is pretty much out of the question as we have to make up a 5 point gap with Hertha, and with only 2 games left I don't see that happening.

The title race is going to be very close as there is only 1 point seperating Bayern and Dortmund.

Down the table we can see that Wolfsburg are all but relegated which is a massive shock! What's even more surprising is that Schalke 04 might actually get relegated aswell.

News

While April was a bad month for our team it wasn't for our second team as they were crowned champions in the 3. Bundesliga.
View attachment 209535
View attachment 209533

Another positive thing to report is that my issues with Ginczek have been resolved.
View attachment 209532

Lastly Mart Ristl, a highly promising youngster, is finally back after being out injured for the past 7 months.
Now it remains to be seen how much his development has been affected and whether he can come back as strong as he was.
View attachment 209531

A Look Ahead

View attachment 209530
The final 2 games of the season, Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke 04.

If you look at the table then I don't need to tell you how important the Leverkusen fixture is for us. If we want to secure European football then we need atleast a draw.

Finally we face Schalke whom are fighting against relegation, as strange as it seems a bad result against us could actually send them to the 2. Liga!

View attachment 209419
May
The final month of the season has arrived, will we manage to achieve a top 6 finish and thus secure European Football for next year or will the season end in bitter disapointment, lets take a look:

In the week before what is arguably the most important game of the season for us we suffered another injury.
View attachment 209416Normally this wouldn't be a big issue for us but since both Niedermeier and Baumgartl were also injured we were left with no center backs apart from Sunjic and Schwaab (who isn't even a true cb).

So When Schwaab got injured I had no choice but to give him injections so that he could get through the game against Leverkusen. I personally really disliked doing this as I don't like to risk further injury but like I said I had no choice.

VFB Stuttgart - Bayer 04 Leverkusen

View attachment 209417

This match was truly a battle for European football as the team that would win here would have the best chance at getting a finish in the top 6 thus securing European Football.

Leverkusen got off to an excellent start and opened the scoring in the 3rd minute as Chicharito put Leverkusen in front. It didn't take long for us to reply and within 8 minutes we were on level terms again.

Then Leverkusen got a red card leaving them one man short, we tried to push on but didn't manage to take advantage of the fact that we had 1 player more on the pitch. I was left absolutely distraught when Leverkusen again managed to grab the lead in the 82nd minute.

All our hard work was going to be for nothing, atleast that was how it appeared to me so I can't even begin to describe my feelings when Kostic managed to make the game level again with only 4 minutes left on the clock.

On a positive note, we managed to prevent Leverkusen from getting the win.
On a negative note, we simply should have done better. With Leverkusen one man short for most of the game we should have won this. In the end however we didn't and so it all comes down to our game game against Schalke.

FC Schalke 04 - VFB Stuttgart

View attachment 209410

For both teams this was a massive match, for us because we were fighting for european qualification for Schalke because they were fighting against relegation.

Schalke started the game much better then us and created several good opportunities to take the lead but failed to convert any of them. It took until the second half for us to get into the game aswell and we started creating some good chances ourselves but we didn't manage to score either.

It looked like the match was going to end in a scoreless 0-0 but then in the 88th minute Ferati managed score what would turn out to be the winning goal giving us the win that we so desperately needed!

That was it, the final game of the season so where did we end up on the table?
View attachment 2094095th! That's right we managed to overtake Frankfurt and secure a direct spot for next year's Europa League!

In the end I must admit that I am still somewhat disapointed as I feel that we should have been able to get a spot within the top 4. We lost some matches that we simply shouldn't have and they ended up costing us dearly.

But like they say it's no use crying over spilt milk. We still had a very solid season with some excellent results.

The title race between Bayern and Dortmund turned out to be a really close one but in the end it was Dortmund who came out on top
View attachment 209407

Down the table we find some really, really suprising things as both Schalke and Wolfsburg have been relegated
View attachment 209406View attachment 209405
Another surprise is that RB Leipzig have managed to win the DFB Pokal beating Bayern Munich at the Olympiastadion after penalties.
View attachment 209401

And with that I am going to be putting an end to this story. It's been a great ride the fact that both Schalke and Wolfsburg have been relegated has simply ruined the immersion for me.

Thanks for all of you that followed this story, I hope that you had as much fun reading it as I had writing it. I will soon be back with another one, if you have any suggestions or ideas on whom you would like to see me manage just let me know, thanks and I hope to see you soon.