Reaction score
I'm researching some legends of Victorian football. I'm thinking of designing a database that includes

Royal Engineers
Corinthians
Civil Service
Wanderers FC
Old Etonians
Clapham Rovers
Druids
Chirk
Blackburn Olympic
Upton Park
Queens Park
Oxford Uni
Cambridge Uni
and a few more

I'm deliberating on how to include these teams in the English database. Thoughts I've had so far include

• A league swap based in another country
  • Replace all english teams formed after 1900 (and rename the remaining teams acording to their name at formation)
  • Replacing Blue Sq Leagues with these new teams as amateurs (which would be in the spirit of these sides)

I don't want to get into designing a whole new league because it seems like a waste of what's already in the English database (and also because I really see myself as a good enough editor)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I'm researching some legends of Victorian football. I'm thinking of designing a database that includes

Royal Engineers
Corinthians
Civil Service
Wanderers FC
Old Etonians
Clapham Rovers
Druids
Chirk
Blackburn Olympic
Upton Park
Queens Park
Oxford Uni
Cambridge Uni
and a few more

I'm deliberating on how to include these teams in the English database. Thoughts I've had so far include

• A league swap based in another country
  • Replace all english teams formed after 1900 (and rename the remaining teams acording to their name at formation)
  • Replacing Blue Sq Leagues with these new teams as amateurs (which would be in the spirit of these sides)

I don't want to get into designing a whole new league because it seems like a waste of what's already in the English database (and also because I really see myself as a good enough editor)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

would you like a list of every club you would have to bring back mate coz I'm study quite alot of early football since I turned the age of 20

Notts County really have to be in there, and I think Aston Villa were the most successful team of that era. I'm not certain that they played under those club names at that stage though

Notts County really have to be in there, and I think Aston Villa were the most successful team of that era. I'm not certain that they played under those club names at that stage though

12 teams founded the original football league in 1888 under these names:
Accrington FC (now extinct), Aston Villa FC, Blackburn Rovers FC, Bolton Wanderers FC, Burnley FC, Derby County FC, Everton FC, Notts County FC, Preston North End FC, Stoke FC (didn't become Stoke City until 1920's), West Bromwich Albion FC and Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.

Last edited:
Hi
Your list would be really useful Madridboy. The list above is only a sample of the teams I've researched but I'm including actual players of the time. Info like that is hard to find for a team like Barnes or Reigate etc
I like beenymc's idea of the original football league. Then I could include the sides above that predate date in a separate division.

Newton Heath will certainly be in there as would Dial Square (Arsenal) Singers (Coventry) Ardwick (Man City)

Maybe what I could do is to have a league for the teams that predate the 1888 league, a league for the original football league,
and then everybody else in leagues below. It'd mean changing reputations and player a bit. For example Chelsea were formed in 1905 which would make them a new club. Thing is should I make the likes of Wanderers and the rest etc prem standard then the 1888 league championship standard and so on.

To be honest I do have some ideas of what I'll do but I'm interested in what would interest you guys. Its a big job really so I'll probably make the database without badges, player faces (as if I could find them all anyway). Defiantly do the original team colours though

Hi
Your list would be really useful Madridboy. The list above is only a sample of the teams I've researched but I'm including actual players of the time. Info like that is hard to find for a team like Barnes or Reigate etc
I like beenymc's idea of the original football league. Then I could include the sides above that predate date in a separate division.

Newton Heath will certainly be in there as would Dial Square (Arsenal) Singers (Coventry) Ardwick (Man City)

Maybe what I could do is to have a league for the teams that predate the 1888 league, a league for the original football league,
and then everybody else in leagues below. It'd mean changing reputations and player a bit. For example Chelsea were formed in 1905 which would make them a new club. Thing is should I make the likes of Wanderers and the rest etc prem standard then the 1888 league championship standard and so on.

To be honest I do have some ideas of what I'll do but I'm interested in what would interest you guys. Its a big job really so I'll probably make the database without badges, player faces (as if I could find them all anyway). Defiantly do the original team colours though

I could give ya a small list the now

England
Crystal Palace (another club with the same name)
Small Heath Alliance = Birmingham City
The Wednesday = Sheffield Wednesday
Barnsley
Q.P.R.
Fulham
Derby County

Scotland
Founder members of the SFA
Clydesdale
Dumbreck
Eastern
Kilmanrock
Queen's Park
Third Lanark
Vale of Leven

believe you me the list for England could go on & on

That’s cool Madridboy, I've found enough players of the original Crystal Palace side that predates the current team of the same name, so that’s a really good shout.

I have somewhere in the region of 50 defunct English clubs prior to the formation of the English Leagues to pick from (that’s not including ones still in existence like Newton Heath etc).
Like I say I'll probably go with the ones that I can research enough players for.
I've decided that existing teams can keep their 2012 squads for two reasons 1: It's too many players to waste 2: It’s taken a phenomenal amount of man hours to compile the real squads and I'm not going to create enough new players to replace them for all

I’ll be concentrating on the likes of Royal Engineers, Wanderers FC, Upton Park
Queens Park, Corinthians, Civil Service, Old Etonians , Clapham Rovers (and enough more to make a league of their own)
This’ll take a bit of time and if I start basing the current teams on the era I’ll never get it done.
So anyone wants me to include their side based on the 1880’s (for example Sunderland Albion) then if you post a squad list with positions I’ll happily include them

Maybe you can re-create the original football league and add the other leagues like the Central Alliance and other equivalents from the various regions of the country?

Hmm yeah, that’s a good idea Benny. I'd have to look into the league editing side of things - to make sure promotion/relegation works properly. I like that idea a lot cheers. I like the idea of pyramid system all round. Just a matter of if I'm good enough to design one that works properly.
Maybe if I delete the current top four english leagues and use the non league as a template (replacing the sides with the teams from prem/champ/ and league1 & 2 that predate 1900) just thinking aloud.
You could be onto something there Benny, thanks