Villa reveal Liverpool Barry bid

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill says Liverpool have made an offer for England midfielder Gareth Barry.

More...

Why? This is where Benitez goes wrong. Whats the point?

I hope Barry has the sense to stay and lead Villa as a top 6 team

yup buying players like Pennent Benji and Barry are why there 4th

wtf you on about kris, Barry ownz.

Although i think i'd rather have stevie g and mascherno in the middle, but Barry can play anywhere

yeah don't get me wrong, he's done really well but he's not the kind of WC player that would significantly improve them. And they certainly don't need a CM

he is class but is he 'win you the premiership' good?

i think he is an awsome player in an Aston Villa side but for a team who want to win the league hmmm

Yeah but its the same every season, sign a few average players (in terms of Champ League quality) who won't play every week to make an impact on the team. He's the kind of player, while good, would just be used prominently in the later stages of the season in the league because Liverpool aren't good enough to challenge for more than one trophy; so he would play while Gerrard etc areused in the CL. He should stay at Villa and get his game, and if Benitez wants to improve his squad, he should look at areas which actually need improving.

Yeah but its the same every season, sign a few average players (in terms of Champ League quality) who won't play every week to make an impact on the team.

Sorry, we don't have £10-20m to spend on every squad player we bring in.

Sorry, we don't have £10-20m to spend on every squad player we bring in.

In that case don't bring in lots of ***** like pennant etc... but one or two quality players. You definitely need new full backs so he should be looking at the likes of Chiellini, Alves, maybe Rafinha, Clerc etc... But knowing Benitez (if he does stay onto next season) he'll problys either stick with the **** that is John Arne Riise, or go for some backup player from another club like ****** Justin Hoyte or sumthing

Newcastle will probably end up with "the **** that is John Arne Riise"?

i never said we wouldn't did i? i never said we don't buy ****, cos we do. But we aren't a team supposedly challenging for the premiership now are we?

All i meant was don't criticise one manager for playing a player he didn't even buy (and scoring an own goal doesn't make you **** btw) when your own team is linked to him every week - whether going for the title or not.

meh you are a bit **** when yu go from one of europes best left backs to a player of liverpool squad standard

i couldn't care less if we are linked to him every week, he's still ****. Fair enough he was good a few years back but now he's in decline and i really hope Keegan see's sense and doesnt buy him.

to be fair Riise has been below par for about three years.

In that case don't bring in lots of ***** like pennant etc... but one or two quality players. You definitely need new full backs so he should be looking at the likes of Chiellini, Alves, maybe Rafinha, Clerc etc... But knowing Benitez (if he does stay onto next season) he'll problys either stick with the **** that is John Arne Riise, or go for some backup player from another club like ****** Justin Hoyte or sumthing

Rafa has been very good with his signings so don't talk **** Sean. Pennant has done a good job for us, and he was only about £6m or something. If he's not doing what's needed of him he would of been shipped out it's that simple.

If our squad was strong enough then yes one or two quality signings would be all we needed but that's not the case. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool's first 11 are all on the same level but it's the rest who make the difference.

Oh and btw Riise isn't even first choice for us anymore, we play Arbeloa or Aurellio (when fit).

Its players like that though who are aab, and end up being rotated alot not just cos the fat waiter's rotation policy but because they're not amazing (like Evra :p)

Its a position like that, or RB, or maybe a winger, where the bulk of his money should be spent; not on a fair few 'solid' players who will ultimately be squad players.

IMO rafa has been hit and miss but the reason for most of his misses is the shopping at bargain prices. Morientes, Bellamy, Gonzalez, Paletta etc. The squad depth is there but a lack quality all around. Full backs don't really attack and although Aurelio is a good player he is always injured. Riise enough said. Finnan was very good last season, this season he has been in and out and is getting on. Pennant, Yossi Benayoun, Kuyt, Babel are all squad players at this moment in time IMO. They do need another winger of real quality and a right back for sure. Rumours were saying that the one is signing already made by liverpool was Phillip Degen. Havent seen him play since the world cup where he was very good but apparently he has gone backwards and no better than what liverpool have at the moment. He came out and said that the rumour wasn't true so it must be someone else... Rafinha has also been linked but he is well known in europe and it will cos them a bit to get him.

Barry will be bought to replace Xabi Alonso in the two central midfield positions cause it looks like he is heading back to spain.

Its players like that though who are aab, and end up being rotated alot not just cos the fat waiter's rotation policy but because they're not amazing (like Evra :p)

Its a position like that, or RB, or maybe a winger, where the bulk of his money should be spent; not on a fair few 'solid' players who will ultimately be squad players.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but couldn't get the right words lol.