D.Beckham

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post!

Im in my second season with Villa, and have Lukaku and Agbonlahor up top and wondering what roles I should give them? and any team tactics to use?

Any help would be much appreciated!

This may be useful to you.

You're playing Lukaku and Gabby up front, so presumably a 4-4-2? Gabby is fantastic as either a Poacher or an Advanced Forward. If you're using him as a Poacher, try setting Lukaku to a Target Man, if he's an Advanced Forward try Lukaku as a DLF.

Cheers for the link, will have a read.

Yes I am, forgot to say. 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers.

Oh you're playing a 4-2-4 then, essentially. Interesting. In which case, having Petrov and Reo-Coker as the deep axis might be worth a try as well.

You could say so, yes.

This may be a long post but you seem helpful and knowledgeable.

I need to buy a keeper, still have Guzan as first choice at the moment.

My back four is Young (rubbish, to be replaced) Cuellar, Dunne and Warnock.

Midfield of Young (Winger), Ireland/ Afellay (Advanced Playmaker) Petrov (DMC), Downing (Winger)

And the front two I stated.

You think I'd be better off with the two defensive minded midfielders?

PS - Why Palace?

You could say so, yes.

This may be a long post but you seem helpful and knowledgeable.

I need to buy a keeper, still have Guzan as first choice at the moment.

My back four is Young (rubbish, to be replaced) Cuellar, Dunne and Warnock.

Midfield of Young (Winger), Ireland/ Afellay (Advanced Playmaker) Petrov (DMC), Downing (Winger)

And the front two I stated.

You think I'd be better off with the two defensive minded midfielders?

PS - Why Palace?

Keeper depends on what kind of funds you have available. I like Romero or Frey, but Enyeama or Kameni are decent buys too.

Young's cack, sell him off and get someone of the mould of Alberto Lora (1.3 mil), Vasilis Torosidis (5 mil) or if you're rich Lorenzo De Silvestri (11 mil).

I'd set Ashley Young as an inside forward, he's a better performer that way. I'd consider dropping an attacker, probably a striker, in order to give you greater defensive solidity. Whilst Petrov is a good player, I find having two wingers, two strikers and an AMC would leave him way too exposed. As I say: drop a striker, add a DMC (Reo-Coker, possibly) and this will give you a stable base to build attacks on.

PS - 'Cause they're my local team, and Millwall are scum. :p