Villas Boas Porto tactic suggestions anyone?

Monfils

Reaction score
I've been looking for a way to recreate Porto's tactic this year. I've been wondering does anyone has any links on some websites where this tactic is explained, or anything else, any other suggestions I could do this. Thanks alot!

His would be fairly interesting to recreate..

He plays a 4-1-3-2 (Attack) 2 wingers and an AM with an anchor man/DLP.

The wingers would be set to 'Move into Channels' and cross and throughball often.

Upfront you have a Complete Forward (Hulk) on attack and an Advanced Forward (Falcao) on attack.

The Attacking Mid (Moutinho) is set to support and needs a defensive mentality setting with full pressing and hard tackling as his job is to kill the defenders when they try to keep possession.

His style is High Tempo, Mixed Passing, Mid aggression, ZONAL marking in defence but with the 5 Attacking players with Man, Drilled Crossing and default roaming. Normal D-line and Time Wasting. Narrow width and Played THROUGH THE MIDDLE.

Source- Me, I'm half Portuguese and a Porto Fan :p

Thanks man, I will use your guidelines along with FC Porto – Villarreal CF what I have found... Will try to do this

Btw if anyone else has any interesting suggestion I will gladly hear it and try to put it into tactics

Last edited:
bad move mate , porto plays 4-1-2-2-1 . gk - 2 cb +fb right (support)+ fb left (attack) + 1 anchor + 1 deeplying playmaker (support) + 1 mid. central (support) + 1 inside F. + 1 inside F + 1 poacher

bad move mate , porto plays 4-1-2-2-1 . gk - 2 cb +fb right (support)+ fb left (attack) + 1 anchor + 1 deeplying playmaker (support) + 1 mid. central (support) + 1 inside F. + 1 inside F + 1 poacher

Not true. They use this occaisionally, but tend to play Hulk and Falcao up front, Varela and Rodriguez/C. Rodriguez on the flanks.....

uhm I'm partly italian and partly swedish and not a Porto fan (have symphaty for Sporting actually) but it seems to me they play more of a 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-3) with two inside forwards, like Hulk on the right and Varela on the left

PS hey Monfils did you take San Marino to the World Cup in the end? cause I didn't :p

sry laffles u are wrong this time :p im from portugal , porto city and im a huge fan of porto and i know 99.99% about porto xD
kanderson is right 4-1-2-3

Varela doesn't play as an Inside Forward, He's very much the crossing winger.

Hulk is given a free role as he is easily Porto's best player. Therefore not a winger in essence.

Moutinho again drifts wherever to pick out passes and whatnot.

It may line up a 4-3-3 but it soon changes to a 4-1-1-3-1 or 4-1-3-2 when attacking and a 4-4-2 when defending (Hulk stays forward)

EDIT*

And when Micael plays its a 4-2-3-1. Villas Boas is tactically varied. Not one single tactic....

Guys this is great and very helpful... I will be doing this tactic until i get it right and then post it here

Thank you all!

And Kandersson, no, I havent done it, will try when I finish this. I got frustrated, 2020 and can't get the job...

Varela doesn't play as an Inside Forward, He's very much the crossing winger.

Hulk is given a free role as he is easily Porto's best player. Therefore not a winger in essence.

Moutinho again drifts wherever to pick out passes and whatnot.

It may line up a 4-3-3 but it soon changes to a 4-1-1-3-1 or 4-1-3-2 when attacking and a 4-4-2 when defending (Hulk stays forward)

EDIT*

And when Micael plays its a 4-2-3-1. Villas Boas is tactically varied. Not one single tactic....

I'd honestly say a 4-3-3. Varela is an inside forward. just because he usually crosses, doesn't mean he's an out-n-out winger. He's an Inside forward as it is Hulk, only that Hulk might score more than assist.

BTW, Falcao is mad under-rated, as he is easily one of the best forwards acting in Europe atm. The best goal scorer, I'd risk saying.

Make sure the Wingers/Inside forwards change positions with each other. Moutinho with the free-role attacking part. Also, make sure Guarin doesn't shoot as much as IRL, cuz he is, indeed, mad lucky.

Mad drunk atm of writing, sry Porto fans for any mistake (took me kinda 20 mins writing this, so lol. And I noticed the overuse of the word 'mad') .

Last edited: