Wage Cap

Brum Boy

Reaction score
I bloke called Caborn is trying to bring in a salary cap in europe. He said that the clubs would save money and the ticket prices should be lowered, because high prices are driving people away from the game. What do you think? i think it should be brought in a maximum of 50k a week i say.

Brum Boy the cap isnt just for each player singally. It limits the total amount of wages you are allowed to hand out. You could have less players but pay them more than having loads of players on a grand a week. The salary cap worked in the NFL because players couldnt go and join another league because the NFL is the only option. If they introduce it in Europe then the good players will just **** of to a different league that can offer them more money. If its going to happen then its got to be a worldwide salary cap.

I totaly agree with Clacks. If it isnt worldwide players will jsut go to the middle east as theres lots of money there.

I think FIFA should seriously think about a salary cap cause its stupid money at the moment.

Salary caps need to be brought in as players are earning ridiculous amounts of money. I can't believe the top level footballers get payed so much anyway, surely they would be willing to take wage cuts if they truley enjoy playing the game.

I just cant believe that they get paid for playing for there country I mean Pride should be enough

Wouldnt really mind if there was a salary cap or not, but what i would Like to see is a transfer Limit per season to stop chelsea running away with it.

I think a proper cap would have a good and a bad side to it.

Even if it is world wide whats to stop Mr Abramovich buying some **** ant Aussie team (not a controling share obviously as thats illegal) and saying "you pay this guys wages and i'll donate this much money to your club everyweek and you loan him to me at Chelsea" Things like that would still be legal in the game. Any way you look at it money talks. Plus the less money players are making the more likely they are to rig a game or **** around outside the game doing promotions like Beckham.

Obviously if it did work, and ticket prices really did come down i'd love it, as at the moment they are ridiculous when you consider that its £50 in some places for 90 minuites of entertainment and your not even guarunteed entertainment. Supporting a club is one thing but throwing money at them so that they can pay a guy who doesnt really care about the club is another.

Plus when you look at it your not going to be talking about wage cuts, your going to be talking about players being released entirely so that the club can still feed the likes of Edgar Davids or Thiery Henry or Steven Gerrard, it wouldnt harm them, it would harm the club though as they cut the contract of breakthrough players and slash thier wages.

To be honest, the only way i see of stopping that from happening, is to make each team register a squad at the end of each transfer window (as with the UEFA competitions) and this is the squad that will have its wages capped. It will be hard on the reserve and fringe players but this way they get to carry on at the club rather than be forced into joining Millwall to make ends meet. It also means that the club can give Michael Owen his £105k a week and it wont affect some little sod in the reserves who they've never heard of too much as hes in a seperate wage bill altogether. Obviously it will still mean you'll see less teams full to burst with star players like the current Chelsea team, but it will mean that clubs will have to think long and hard about each transfer rather than spring for every player who comes available with a half decent rep.

I agree with the worldwide cap. Some players get paid way to much and aren't worth half of what they earn. The high wages also keep players at the club when they are not getting a game so they aren't even earning there wage. Main example being Chelsea, who buy people who never get a game or very rarely get a game

I think we could do with a salary cap, has clacks said they have it in the NFL and it works there, they also have it in Rugby League but some of you won't really know about that because its mainly Yorkshire and Lancashire teams with the exception of London. It would be better if we had a salary cap would stop Chelski buying everyone for ridiculous amounts of money and there players getting paid loads.

i think a salary cap wud b a gud idea, the money players are gettin is crazy

50k is still out a lot, i cant see why they wud leave to shockin leagues

and if theres any way to stop chelsea i say yes :p

While i disagree with players earning £100,000 i think a wage cap is a bad thing.In the capitilast society we live in people are allowed earn as much money as they want.Wouldn't you be ****** off if you went into work on monday morning and your boss told you there was a limit to the amount of money you could make.Sure movie stars earn millions for each movie they do but you don't see people calling for a wage cap for them

That's because movies are fairly cheap to go and watch, whereas football matches (which are usually shorter than movies) are sometimes 4-8 times the cost to watch.

Daire said:
While i disagree with players earning £100,000 i think a wage cap is a bad thing.In the capitilast society we live in people are allowed earn as much money as they want.Wouldn't you be ****** off if you went into work on monday morning and your boss told you there was a limit to the amount of money you could make.Sure movie stars earn millions for each movie they do but you don't see people calling for a wage cap for them

I think i agree with you-I was gona say a wage cap of sorts is a good idea,but you make a good point about the society we live in etc

This society we live in all messed up anyway, how can one player earn more money in a week some clubs make in a year, that's gonna kill the game over time, the small clubs support the big clubs, where do all these young players come from, they aren't all lucky enought to go through the top 3's youth academy.
Any wage cap would have to be enforced world wide to make it any use, and I don't think footballers can complain about being told the most you can earn playing football is £50k a week, afterall thats £2.6 million a year, without any sponsorship deals.