amc67x

Reaction score
Walking in the shadow of 'El Cholo'
A new blog series by Guillem Balague
For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351944

How do you build on winning your first La Liga title since '96 and reaching the Champions League Final on a minuscule budget when compared against the riches of Real Madrid and Barcelona? Is it possible to replicate such success without the star player who dragged you over the line in many matches?

I plan on finding out and have been invited to shadow Diego Simeone throughout this season as he looks to build on the success he has achieved since replacing Quique Flores in December 2011. "Cholo" has already led los rijiblancos to a Europa League title a long with a UEFA Super Cup , Copa del Rey and most recently and extravagantly La Liga title.

Simeone has a massive task at hand losing top scorer and talisman Diego Costa, as well as adventurous and experienced wing-back Filipe Luis to Chelsea. Jose Sosa and Diego Ribas have also returned to their respective parent clubs. The remaining 2 months of this transfer window will speak volumes regarding how Simeone plans to try and emulate the successes of the last campaign. Will he trust his current squad or does he dive into the transfer market to find replacements for the players he has lost.

As an insider I already know the answer to this, however for today the answers will be left lingering in the air, Simeone has a massive challenge on his hands but I know for a fact it's one he is relishing. Cholo and I have spoken a lot since the beginning of this unique privilege i have been given, he has had this to say when i askedxhim if he thinks it's possible to replicate or better last season's achievements

"We are growing, and are continuing to live through and enjoy these positive moments. We don't stop to admire what we're doing. We get up early, prepare well in training and keep demanding more of ourselves. If we do this we will succeed, if we don't, we'll fail."

It's clear that Simeone maintains the fire in his belly to maintain what he is doing, he has been linked with the Argentina job after Sabella left. But he hasn't even acknowledged the rumours. His current focus is on getting the players ready for the season ahead, and if possible, look to replace his main man, Diego Costa.

In the coming days, this blog will explore the philosophy of Simeone and how he plans to set up his team throughout the season, as well as where his footballing beliefs come from, as well as some interviews with current Atléti players.

Hasta Luego
Guillem Balague

View attachment 351943
Atléti will always be in Diego's heart​

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351905

I've always been interested to know the meaning and whereabouts of Diego Simeone's. His side isn't glittered with flair, yet doesn't contain hard men just looking to hurt opponents. It appears he's mixed tricky players with hard-tackling ball winners. The work rate his side displayed last season was extraordinary and provides a great example of how to play high pressing football. It's not always pleasant to watch but is certainly effective, Simeone admits he doesn't plan to make many drastic changes but says certain tweaks are made to his system against every team they came up against. I asked him about where his style of play originated from.

"This is a unique system, one I can proclaim as my own. You of course need players with flair, agility. overall technical footballers, these are the players who win you the matches. I also believe it's necessary for a few players who like a good tackle and are willing to put their bodies on the line for the team. These players can win games by a great tackle or interception. If you want to play in my team, your work ethic must be exemplary. I want my players to chase in packs, force opponents into conceding the ball. If you don't want to run you won't play. If i sign a player , he won't have experienced a regime like mine. I 'm a fitness fanatic and i convert my players into them."

"I consider myself a student of the game. I've visited and observed many top class managers, I've travelled all across Europe to pick little bits up from all the best coaches. All these little snippets combine into something special."

I asked him about his biggest influences, he had this to say

"I would have to say Mourinho, Arragones and Pep. I watch them a lot, i try to mirror how they react to different situations. They all have their own systems, philosophies. I go to their training centers and watch their sessions, it's all about learning from the best, because it's important to be the best you can be."

In another post very shortly, we will go in depth with Diego to analyse the tactics he intends to deploy over the season.

Hasta Luego
Guillem Balague

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351903

TACTICAL ANALYSIS

High pressing is the focal point of Simeone's tactics. He wants his players to go in packs in 3 or 4 to retrieve the ball to regain possession and start attacks. He prefers a direct approach at a frantic pace, but does enjoy the ball being played out from the back. His formation is quite unique to most others, he doesn't play with wingers and relies on full backs for width. One central midfielder at a time is aloud to pull out wide to supply more crosses for the target man up front.

View attachment 351901
The full backs are given freedom to go up the line to create chances for the target man through crosses.

The half back drops into centre half if one steps out of position, he is also there to make short passes into the midfield.

The box to box midfielders job is to get forward into the box to assist the striker, as well as going back to help the defense

The deep lying playmaker is there to create chances for the striker with direct passes, and also provide cover defensively. He is always chasing the ball when out of possession.

The ball winning midfielder has a restricted role, to break up play and play simple passes.

The shaddow striker's job is to get beyond the striker to score goals, and play in the whole behind the opposition midfield to slide passes through for the striker.

The target man has to be strong to hold the ball up, he needs to hold up the ball as well as getting in the box to get on the end of crosses.

View attachment 351900
These instructions ensure players stay disciplined and don't play with too much creative freedom, a deeper defense stops a leakage of goals. Playing direct and playing off the target mans lay offs and knock downs is vital for scoring goals, The full backs are given the freedom of advancing forward, and float crosses in for the tall target man.

I certainly hope this tactic will be able to bring more success to Atléti.

In the next post, we will discuss the transfer dealings of pre season, as well as the training regime cholo puts the group through. There will also be an interview with Koke shortly.

Hasta luego
Guillem Balague

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351888

Entrevista con Koke

Today I spoke with Koke, young upcoming Spanish star who has excelled under Diego Simeone. 'A father figure' he described the Argentine as. Koke has dramatically improved while under Simeone and has been linked with a move to the likes Arsenal and Barcelona. But he sees himself at los rojiblancos for the distant future.

"I don't pay attention to the speculation. As long as Simeone is at Atlético, I believe i will be there. He is like a father to me. He has taught me so much in the few years he has been here. I'm still only 21 so i still have a lot to learn and I can't think of anyone better to help me fulfill my potential."

I asked him what he thought of the insane intensity Simeone brings to training

"The training is extremely intense every session, it's all about fitness, he loves to make you run. It's how he wants us to play, he wants us to run for 90 minutes. the fitness training helps us a lot because we press the opponents all over the pitch for the whole game. It's extremely tough but very enjoyable."

I then went on to talk about how he thinks Simeone will rebuild after losing key players like Costa.

"Whether he plans on bringing up youngsters from the academy and B team, or whether he spends big to replace players like Diego and Filipe, I have faith he will make the right choices. It'd be good to buy another world class striker because it's a position we lack depth in, however whatever Diego does It'll be in the best interests of the club."

I read recently that Koke said he'd also developed as a person under Simeone, I was eager for him to elaborate.

"It's true that i said this, I feel like a more mature person. He puts fire in your belly to try and become a better player and a better person. I'm certainly more of a man because of him."

View attachment 351881"Koke has made me a better man"

Hasta luego
Guillem Balague

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351797

Replacing the Lost

After a summer filled with departures, Diego has been working tirelessly behind the scenes in recent weeks to bring in players before pre season begins on 17th July. I've watched closely and even helped Cholo with agents and identifying talent. Today, 3 players are to join los rojiblancos. After losing Costa and Filipe, as well as the loans of Sosa ,Ribas and most importantly Courtois ending, Simeone admits his top priority was to get his business done early to give new players a chance to settle before the start of the new season.

"
I prefer to bring in players early. It gives us both a chance to analyse how we operate, it also allows them to gel into their new surroundings as well as meet and enjoy time with new team mates. No player is ever fit enough when they join, as you know the standards here are impeccable. It's very important that new signings reach an acceptable level of fitness early on in the season."

Well, I have been given permission to reveal first, before any other source, the names of the 3 signings who will join Atléti today.

Mario Mandzukic - The target man joins from Bayern Munich for 23 million euros. He is a direct replacement for Diego Costa and brings class into the team. A tall, powerful, athletic striker and will be first choice going into the new season.

Antoine Griezmann - A tricky winger with a magical first touch, can destroy an opponent with a piece of skill from anywhere within the attacking zone. Simeone sees him in the shadow striker and believes he can become a prolific goalscorer throughout his time in the Vicenté Calderon. The former Sociedad winger cost around 30 million euros.

Jan Oblak and Miguel Angel Moya - Two very capable goalkeepers one still in process of developing his game, and one filled with experience. Simeone has admitted both will get an equal chance in pre-season to impress. Oblak cost almost 17 million euros whereas Moya's fee is around 3 million euros. These two will provide healthy competition for each other throughout the season.

Cristian Ansaldi - An attacking full back with great experience and know how, a perfect replacement for Filipe Luis. Ansaldi has cost around 4 million euros. He has a superb engine to get up and down the pitch for the 90 minutes.

Oriol Romeu - Brought in on loan from Chelsea for the season, an experienced but highly gifted footballer who will more than likely provide cover for the likes of Koke, Gabi and Tiago.

View attachment 351780View attachment 653947View attachment 351778View attachment 351779View attachment 351782View attachment 351781

Some very astute signings made by the Atlético boss. I anticipate massive seasons ahead for Mandzukic, who will feel has has something to prove, and Antoine Griezmann who will develop greatly under the Simeone.

Hasta Luego
Guillem Balague

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351766

ANOTHER IN ANOTHER OUT

This morning Cholo pulled off what could be an impressive coup in Colombian forward Jackson Martinez from Porto, for around 20 million euros. The forward was top scorer in Portugal last year and is well known for his goal scoring prowess. Simeone is a huge admirer of the forward and believes he will play a massive part in the success of the team this season.

Sticking with transfer news, Christian Rodriguez looks set to leave the Calderon for England after Newcastle had a 6 million euro offer accepted. With Cholo planning to play without an out and out winger and rely on his full backs for crosses, Rodriguez feels frozen out at Atleti and has revealed he would be ecstatic if a move to the north of England would materialise. I spoke with him before he left on a flight to try and thrash out a deal, he said:

"Playing in England is something you dream about, You see it on the TV when you are younger and that is the place where eveyone wants to play. I love life here in Madrid, but I need to play, I'm not getting any younger. I'm not in the plans here, I want to be somewhere where I am wanted. It looks like Newcastle is that place."

In the next blog we will look at the pre-season friendlies which Atlético played in, as well as some analysis on best player, weak links in the side and how I'm finding it following Cholo around

IN

View attachment 351740

OUT

View attachment 654051

Hasta Luego
Guillem Balague

I have the latest LFC Marshall update with Mandzuikic and co in the side already but have implemented this into the story.

This is really good mate, fantastic idea. Look forward to more. :D

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351549

PRETEMPORADA

This pre-season the squad travelled to China to play 3 friendlies while trying to expand the popularity of the club in the country. I went along as part of this season and have analysed Cholo's training methods as well as team talks and match preparation.
The team played fantastically well throughout each friendly and won all 8 condeding only 2 goals, which came against the 'B' team, who they played against in preparation for the tour.

RESULTS

View attachment 351547

Despite playing inferior opposition, Diego did not let any complacency enter the heads of his players, there was a strict regime
implemented throughout the month of July and first half of August. Players had a 10pm curfew, no alcohol or fizzy drinks were allowed to be consumed. A strict diet had been planned by the team of sports scientists within the clubs, This was like the army, I suggested this to Diego, to which he joked: "This is worse than the army". He was desperate to ensure his team have the physical advantage over all opponents.

IMPRESSIVE

View attachment 351544
New arrival Leo starts off Atléti career with a bang.

There were some standout performers throughout the preseason. New signing Leo from Rayo Vallecano did more than enough to claim a regular spot in the starting 11 in the competitive season. The young Brazillian scored 6 goals in 4 appearances, both coming in groups of 3 as he scored hat-tricks against minnow Villaverde and Coslada. The youngster admits he has been impressed with his form and hopes to carry it into La Liga and beyond.

Youngster Saúl was another youngster who impressed, composed and collected on the ball, and making great decisions while in possession impressed both the coach and I, "He isn't one for the future" claims Cholo, "He'll be a key player for us this season, if you're good enough then you're old enough", he added.

The style of play seems to be the same, get the ball into the striker and play of him. Both Turan and Griezmann seem to already be gelling with new strikers Jackson Martinez and Mandzukic. Javier Manquillo impressed with nice direct passes into the striker. yet Ansaldi seems to be unable to adapt to his new surroundings. In 2 of the games, the manager pushed a central midfielder behind the striker to make it 2 attacking midfield players, to create chances and score goals, this change led to an 8-0 victory and a 4-0 victory. I was also thoroughly impressed by loan signing Romeu in the half back position just in front of the back 4. His positioning was exemplary and filled in at centre half well when required.

NOT SO

View attachment 351543

Josh Guilavogui,
who joined from Saint-Ettiene, has all together failed to impress any of the staff. A ten million euro signing, and has proved to be worth a tenth of that. He is unfamiliar with hard work and tacking, Simeone believes a loan move elsewhere may ignite a spark in the young defensive midfielder.

Tiago also seems as if he doesn't have the legs to play in Simeone's system. He tired quickly during matches and was overrun in the midfield often, my sources tell me Everton and Roma are showing heavy interest, But the experienced midfielder is determined to prove his worth to the team.

MANAGERS SAY

View attachment 351542

"Of course there are things you can do better, nothing is ever perfect, but I am extremely pleased with how the pre season has went, we have trained intensely, played with a high intensity and will to win. The new signings are settling in well and there a few youth players who have proved they may have what it takes to get to the next level. We have a tough start to the season, we play in the league twice with Super Cup games in between so we have to be ready for it, we will continue to work hard and prepare well."

The season is fast approaching, will Simeone dip into the transfer market again? How have Atleticos greatest rivals done in pre-season? We'll discuss this next time.

Hasta luego
Guillem Balague

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351518

View attachment 351515
Scott Minto: With La Liga's opening fixtures just 4 days away, Who will win the La Liga title?

Will it be Barca?

Will it be Real?
Or can Simeone's Atletico defy the odds and win the title two years in a row?
View attachment 351513View attachment 351512View attachment 351510

View attachment 351509

View attachment 351513

Scott Minto: Welcome back guys, hope you all had a nice summer. Now let's start off with Barca, They've
brought Luis Enrique in to try and revitalise a worn out Barcelona side. They've spent 80 million euro on Suarez, they've replaced Valdes with Ter Stegen and Bravo, They've finally brought in a capable centre half in Mathieu, can they do it?

Guillem: Well, as we know Suarez can't play until after the international break in October, plus Messi has just been ruled out for 9 months with an ACL injury. So I think they'll come 3rd this year, without Messi they don't have that spark. If Neymar produces at the level he can consistently only then would I say they're in with a decent chance.

Graham: Well Enrique has his work cut out already and he's barely been in the job a month, losing Messi for the whole season is an excruciating blow for them, they do have Neymar, but it's whether he can produce the goods this season, as Guillem said. I think it'll be 3rd place for them

Terry: Well I have to agree with Graham I can't see Barcelona doing it without Messi, they don't have a recognised goalscorer in the team until Suarez comes in in October, but it'll probably be too late by then. Enrique might look to some of the younger players this season to try and integrate them into the squad for when they have a fully fit Lionel Messi.

View attachment 351512

Scott Minto: Well what about Real Madrid, They've got Bale, Ronaldo and they've brought in Volland from Germany, Kroos is a terrific signing also. How do you think they'll get on?

Guillem: Well, I think Real Madrid will be very strong this season, they've bought well in the summer and Ancelotti is a fantastic coach, they'll do well this season if Ronaldo keeps himself fit.

Graham: This is definitely their year, they'll be too strong for Atletico in the end. They've had a terrific pre season, they've brought that steel in the midfield along with the technical ability of kroos, him, Alonso and Modric could be a terrific midfield 3.

Terry: I'm not sure about Real, I thought they'd bring in a big powerful centre half but they've failed to do so. I don't trust that Pepe is a world class centre half they need, Varane is still in the early stages of career and picks up constant niggly injuries. There is still some time left to go into the transfer market but I highly doubt they will.

View attachment 351510

Scott Minto: Well let's talk about Atletico, Lost Costa, lost Courtois, lost Filipe. Those were 3 massive players for them last season, do you think they've brought in suitable replacements? and do you think they can replicate last year's success?

Guillem: Well as you know I've been following Simeone around while he prepares for the new season. He's highly motivated to improve on last years success. He's bought well this summer with Mandzukic and Martinez who are top class strikers, He's brought in a very good young goalkeeper in Oblak and brought experience in with Moya from Getafe. They played really well throughout pre-season and I believe they'll win it this year again.

Graham: I just don't see them doing it again, I think that was a one off season. They've done well in the transfer market but I believe Courtois and Costa are simply irreplaceable and now they've gone they stand no chance.

Terry: I'm not too sure about Atletico this year, He's got a young squad, and I think i agree with Graham I think that was a wonderful year last year but don't think they can reach those heights again, However they have a fantastic manager and wouldn't be surprised if he finds another winning formula.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guys at Revista haven't seen what I've seen, I can't blame them for not believing Atletico can do it again, however I have every faith Diego can lead los rojiblancos to glory once again.

Hasta Luego
Guillem Balague

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351459

EL PRIMER PARTIDO

View attachment 351458
It was time for the first game of the new campaign, Diego demanded a big performance from the players to set a marker for the season. A packed Vicente Calderon the setting. An electric atmosphere created by the ultras behind the goals with flares and banners aloft.

View attachment 351452

From a tactical point of view, Diego sees that Atlético are a lot stronger and can hurt them from the offset. He brings a centre midfielder forward into the attacking midfield position to cause disruption behind the opposition midfield. El Arabi and Murillo are seen as the best players of Granada.

View attachment 351451Mandzukic '25

Fans were left disappointed as Atletico missed many golden chances. They maintained the ball for long periods but penetrating passes were rare from the attacking midfielders. Manquillo a stand out performer at right back, assisted the only goal of the game with a swerving cross which Mandzukic nodded home. I spoke with Simeone, he had this to say:

"I'm content with the performance, I would have preferred to have scored more but the more games we play the more chances will come. We weren't playing the killer pass often enough which was disappointing. The atmosphere was great and I hope the fans continue to get behind us throughout the season."

On Wednesday, the first leg of the Spanish Super cup will take place across the City against Atleti's great rivals.

Hasta allí
Guillem Balague

Last edited:

For Revista de La Liga

View attachment 351449

View attachment 351448

Only the second game of the season and it's the Madrileño. The first leg of the Spanish super cup. The winners of La Liga contra the winners of La Copa Del Rey. Diego Simeone was quietly confident heading into the match, if his side snatched an early away goal he'd have been delighted. That wasn't the case in front of a packed Bernabeu.

View attachment 351447

Although intimidated by the players of Real, Diego stuck with the shape from the last game, preferring to attack Madrid rather than attempt to play on the counter. This however end up the way they'd have to play against a motivated Real Madrid side.

View attachment 351446
Ronaldo '7
Turan '87

Atletico done phenomenally well to ****** a goal at the end after 87 minutes of being completely dominated. Diego was unimpressed with the teams tempo and failure to string any passes together. It was evident that Jackson Martinez hasn't yet settled into the side and was careless when trying to hold up the ball. Mandzukic who was out with a stomach virus was missed. Diego had this to say after the match

"Although I'm ecstatic with the result, these types of performances aren't acceptable. We didn't press high enough, we showed them too much respect. In the next leg I promise Atlético fans that they will see a much better and heart filled performance. I can't have our fans watching that."

Before the next leg it's a tricky trip to the Noú Camp where Atletico meet Barcelona.

Hasta Luego
Guillem Balague