Slimchap

Reaction score
I was expecting to take longer to get inspiration for a new story; but the moment I resigned on my previous game 4 days ago I spotted a job already available which took my fancy, an avenue I had thought about going down before. And what better help for further inspiration than the Africa Cup of Nations being on now.

This story is a direct follow on/sequel from my previous one: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-english-riviera-brighton-hove-albion-fc.html and so will start in June 2019 with the same manager.

You don't need to have read the Brighton story in order to follow this one, just know that it ended with Brighton winning all seven cups in England and Europe before the manager resigned. This Ghana story will follow very loosely and infrequently how Brighton are doing as is it relevant to the manager's interests, what with being the team he supports and made his name at.

So with that, I'll start off my new adventure!
My famous voice for this one; Sunda Kastagir, Dr Ric Griffin, Captain Panaka. It's Ghanaian born British actor Hugh Quarshie!
View attachment 302413 View attachment 302414

2019-21: The Road North

View attachment 302415

((Joe Hisaishi - The Rain - YouTube))

Before he knew it, he was on a plane heading away from the shores of Britain. The whirlwind of the press chasing him for answers, hunting him even at his home trying to prize that tiniest of answers to print felt like only a distant memory now. The moment they were in the air he breathed a sigh of relief, his immediate family thrilled to get some time together at last.

View attachment 302416 Norway was the perfect destination, away from everything, they began to wile away the days in a luxurious cabin in the mountains, a fjord they called it.

It had been incredibly difficult to make the decision to leave his beloved Brighton and Hove Albion, he knew he had left it in a wonderful condition for whomever would succeed him, yet he couldn't help but feel guilty when so many of his loyal staff had decided they would join him in leaving the all conquering club. A mass exodus they had called it. 37 members of his staff, flattering was the way he chose to see it.

Assistant Manager - Steven Gerrard.
Head of Youth Development - Roberto Samaden.
Reserves Manager - Dave Watson.
Under 18's Manager - Dani Lopez.
Under 18's Assistant Manager - Marco Di Vaio.
Coaches - Enrico Fedele, Ivan Juric, Antonio Di Natale, John Carver, Arthur Albiston, David Trezeguet, Mauro Cantoro, Warren Joyce, John Cooke, Martin Petrov, David Villa, Didier Drogba, Angelo Palombo, Xavi, Lucio, Michael Owen, Kolo Toure.
Fitness Coaches - Joao Aroso, Paul Winsper, Fabio Mahseredjian, John Iga.
Goalkeeping Coaches - Jerome John, Gianluigi Buffon.
Physios - Pete Friar, Faith Fisher-Atack, Clare Houston, Emma Gimpel, Sara Hennigan, Sangi Patel.
Scouts - Paul Mitchell, Derek Langley, Jordan Stewart.

His bank balance was looking extraordinary after his seven years with the club, he felt he was in no rush to dive back in with another club however lucretive the contract.

Without warning his phone rang; his personal assistant.

"This had better be a matter of life or death" He started "How the **** do I even have signal anyway?!"

"Sorry, I know you're getting away from it all but I thought you might want to know about this."

"Well you've got me on the phone, so go on."

"It's a job vacancy."

"Don't care."

"I think this one will interest you."

When the conversation was over, his family aware of the call began to gather. Crooked mouths and annoyed expressions were all that greeted him as he looked around to them.

"There's uhhh, a promising job open. One that I think would offer a unique challenge."

"Germany, Spain or Italy I don't care. You're not taking it"

"Well, this one would allow me a lot more time to spend with you all, and is a whole new experience."

He convinced them. Minutes later he was on the phone to Gerrard, an opportunity to get straight back into it, no time to waste, what did he think?
Acting quickly on his PA's advice he was on a plane out of Norway that night, leaving his family to enjoy the rest of the holiday with the promise he would somehow make it up to them. The camera's followed.

View attachment 302418 Kotoka International Airport, Accra, Ghana. It was a far cry from the likes of Heathrow, the captial city host to just a population of 2.3 million compared with London's 8.2 million.

A short car journey and he was meeting with the Ghanaian FA, smiles all around as they were delighted to welcome one of the most prominant managers currently.

It wasn't long before he had acted alone, his family would understand. He signed on the dotted line to become the new manager of the national team - The Black Stars. At £900 a week, no one could accuse him of doing it for the money, it was an almighty step down from the previous £87,000 a week contract he walked away from at Brighton.

Within moments he was on the phone, work had begun, he needed staff, they needed to begin watching videos, meeting players, crafting the national team into one full of heroes.

View attachment 302419 First came his assistant. An easy conversation, and the liverpudlian national legend was packing his bags; apologies his own family as he flew to join his continued boss on the West African coast. They were as bad as each other.

View attachment 302420 Later the same day Kolo Toure joined them as team coach. The Ivorian was clearly more excited about working with the boss again and making things happen for the team rather than paying too close attention to his national identity as a neighbouring rival Ivorian.

View attachment 302421 Jerome John decided a few days later that it was a challenge he was up for, becoming the team's goalkeeping coach.

Martin Petrov accepted the offer to become the Under 20's manager, Nigerian Magnus Okuonghae signed as Petrov's assistant manager for the youth squad. Vincent Enyeama, another Nigerian who had enjoyed playing for Lille during his career became the goalkeeping coach for the Under 20's, and Kader Magane the Under 20's coach - he too played in Europe for Young Boys, RC Lens and Stade Rennais FC amongst others.

The Under 23's were taken over by Dave Watson, his assistant Didier Drogba making the step up from coach. Sol Bamba became the coach - having played for PSG and Leicester in his days. Cheikh N'Diaye promptly afterwards became the goalkeeping coach - he like Magane had played for Stade Rennais.

Satisfied he had formed a strong team made up from his previous staff and African talented staff members, the initial work was done.

Meeting with Gerrard he laid out the task at hand. Get to the African Cup of Nations in Tunisia - January 2021, that was their first objective, but that wouldn't be as easy as they had thought. The team had gaps, and it wasn't as if they could just buy someone in. Then there was the language problem...he had picked Ghana because the national language was English, yet he had an infinately harder time understanding most of them than he had envisioned...

[video=youtube;C2rpWwR8nCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2rpWwR8nCQ[/video]

The Ghana FA bid the manager to attend his welcoming press conference.
"Where is everyone?" He asked upon entering the vast all but empty room.

"You said to keep it low key, you wanted no huge fuss."

"Yes but not just one reporter!!! Why have you got this big room for only us and one **** reporter?!!"

"You just said no big fuss"

"Jesus Christ...."

"Hi, Rashid Mubarak from the African Football Review.

The manager gave him a sarcastic smile, looking royally ticked off still at the flustered FA members as he took his seat beside them.

"First of all welcome as the Ghana manager, how excited are you?"

"About the job, I'm terribly excited, international management, and with a squad like the Ghana one it will represent both a challenge trying to overcome the best in the world and to get the best out of the talent within the ranks here."

"Do you think you'll be reshaping the squad, giving the young players a place to start staking their places in the team?"

"Hmm, I haven't had a lot of time to look at the team in depth yet, but from what I can tell there are a lot of young players who would need to gain moves to better clubs and start progressing in their training before they will warrent spots ahead of the old guard here. If I deem the older players can still do the best job for this country out of everyone, then it is they who I will pick. I'm not looking to start a revoltion here."

((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6uP_GbTf0o))

The 'press conference' continued a while longer, questions on the team, just why he had picked the African nation as his next job, the usual questions he had been expecting. Within a few days news of his appointment had reached the worldwide news agencies and reporters began to gather, the same questions, just now people back in England would be aware of his choice.

People expressed their opinions on the appointment everywhere. Brighton fans were a little deflated he had left them for such a lowly international team ranked only 15th; of course hoping he would only leave for England not Africa, but the appointment of the manager's friend Carlo Ancelotti helped to stem the frustrations. He was a fine manager, they would do alright.
Those who were affiliated with Ghana however were thrilled, what a track record their new manager had. Surely that would result in trophies for the nation.
View attachment 302424 The old Doctor Who assistant Freema Agyeman got in on the act, how good it was Ghana would gain more attention now.

View attachment 302425 Ghana president John Dramani Mahama drawing towards the end of his tenure in charge beamed before the cameras as he looked ecastic over the appointment.

What was certain was the people of Ghana were happy. Football is the national sport of the small nation, and all over the land they adore the game, following their team The Black Stars whenever they take to the pitch in the national colours.

The Manager began touring the nation, seeing the sights, the stadiums where they would be playing their games, what the nation of Ghana was all about.

View attachment 302426 The Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park, the monument to their leader who oversaw the nation's transition from control of the British to an independent state.
The 40,000 capacity Accra Sports Stadium, or formerly known as the Ohene Djan Stadium. The capital city's stadium, it was unfortunately host to a disaster in which 127 people lost their lives in 2001. Security measures since have made it perfectly safe, though the second city stadium sees most of the home games.

They travelled there duely, to Kumasi and the Baba Yara Sports Stadium. 40,500 capacity.
View attachment 302428 This was where they would be seeing the majority of their action, this would have to become their new fortress. It wasn't quite the facilities they had grown used to, but with any luck it wouldn't be too hard to get the fans behind the squad and turn it into a fearsome home; he couldn't imagine there being a problem given the passion they exuded at every opportunity.

What he was certain of when travelling the nation, was that provided people didn't make the job harder than it had to be, he would have a wonderful time. The sheer beauty on display throughout was staggering, nature thrived in so many places giving the eyes magnificent sights to behold.
He decided to give Carlo Ancelotti a call, let the man know that if he required any help whatsoever with staff, information that he could ask without hestitation. Putting down the phone he looked to Gerrard.

"What now?" The Liverpool man asked.

"Meet the players. I'll take the captain Andre Ayew, his brother Jonathan, and Kwadwo Asamoah and Kevin Prince Boateng in Italy; you take Jonathan Mensah, the keeper Adam Larsen Kwarasey and Ibrahim Opoku."

View attachment 302431 View attachment 302432 View attachment 302433 View attachment 302434
The Ayew brothers, Kwadwo Asamoah and Kevin Prince Boateng were and are undoubtably the stars of the Ghana team.

They were the key players. Having looked over the squad, it was easy to identify the strengths and weaknesses; The attack was fairly good for the general state of the team, they had options up front, the centre of the midfield was extremely talented, and the wingers they had forwards who could easily slot outside.

Defence was the huge problem, and what a problem it was. No left back who was near the standard they would be aiming for; two centre backs who were getting on but met the standard just, the right back was mediocre, and the cover was dross. And the goalkeeper...the goalie was poor at his job. When they faced the teams in their Qualifying they would be fine, but against the prolific strikers of the world's best he would be a massive liability.

Unfortunately there wasn't a single other option worth replacing him with, every other goalkeeper an early in their career youth who would likely never play football out of Africa.

A month came and went, the players happy upon meeting their new international boss, aware of the reputations of both the Manager and Steven Gerrard of course. Even those who were greeted by Kolo Toure found the reputation of the man big enough to ignore his nationality.

August 12th, the first team gathering.

He emerged to find his staff and the whole squad they had named sat waiting, looking bored and expectant. The friendly had been arranged shortly after his appointment, a good first test to see the capabilities of the side.

"Hello everyone. By now, you've all had a visit from one of my backroom team, letting you know you're the players we want to carry this team forward. You're picked because we feel you can do a job for us, for your country.

"Most of you have been here before, you're no strangers to international duties, and are likely just waiting to get back to your clubs so you can earn your next paycheque. Use that attitude with me, and it'll be the last time I call you up."

A few eyebrows were raised, the players exchanged looks, clearly woken from their mild boredom.

"At Brighton, I sent every player called up from my squad with my full blessings to their national sides. I didn't tell them they could only play for 45 minutes, or to go easy out there. I told my boys that they were to give everything they possibly had for their Country, because as far as I'm concerned it's Country before Club! Not the other way around! Playing for your nation is the highest honour you can receive as a player, and by God you go out there and work for as long and as hard as your nation requires you to.

He took a little pause the gauge the reactions, so far so good, no one was looking ****** off and he had their attention.

"Now, it's a new era, and so new tactics. You're going to play my way of football. This will seem alien to you at first, but after a while you'll get what I'm pushing for and create a smashing team, one which all opponents will find hard to break down. Steven and Kolo are going to be working with some of you on individual roles within that side, key areas we successfully created at Brighton.

The two staff members gave little nods, both standing up ready.

"Right lets get on that training pitch, enough of speeches, I want to see what you can do!"

"Come on lads" Called both Gerrard and Toure in their own way. The squad filed out.

August 14th First game - Columbia (Ranked 25th) - Home - Baba Yara Stadium - Friendly.

View attachment 302437 As the day began to grow in age, the fans amassed from all over to Kumasi and the Baba Yara. Expectations were high, the manager who had won it all at his last job was now taking on a team 10 places lower than them in the rankings.

((God Bless Our Homeland Ghana - National Anthem of Ghana - YouTube))

As the national anthem played, the manager watched on silently. The crowd singing as if they meant it, yet only a few of the players; that would have to change whilst he was in charge. How he wished the England players would sing with passion, show that it really meant a great deal playing for your country.

The fans cheered wildly with optimism. That soon changed.
Columbia scored 9 minutes in, again on the 15th minute.

"They look like they've never seen each other in their lives..." Commented Gerrard as they watched on, the Ghanaians crumbling under every attack it seemed.

They had worked hard in training, gaining a competant grasp on the tactics it had appeared. Perhaps they were just unable to translate that into a game with another side, a part of them wanting to revert to whatever old tactics they had been using. No matter what it was, there was a very serious problem.

"They just look like complete strangers who've been thrown together." The manager reinforced. Fortunately half time came, the team-talk was straightforward; yet emerging it was clear that nothing had changed in the slightest. The passes were too short, wide or long; the runs were made at all the wrong times, no triangles, no back-up, nothing was finding it out to the wings.

**** they had their work cut out. This could turn out to be one of the biggest mistakes of their careers taking on this challenge.

60 minutes Columbia scored a third. They mixed it up, on came Richmond Boakye. Armed with instructions, he unlike the rest of his team looked full of purpose.
63 minutes, the sub scored, breathing new life into the side. They hit the post, shot inches wide, thumped one against the keeper's palms from distance. 87 minutes Kwadwo Asamoah managed to squeeze through and get another.

2 - 3 it finished. The Ghana team looked shell shocked, but at least towards the end it had started to show some promise, they hadn't let the Columbians completely destroy them. More shots and more possession.

The squad returned to their clubs. The manager began his other work.

((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwuzqF6huc)) A.C Milan to watch Kevin Prince Boateng, there he saw Simao at his new club, a warm catchup between the player and his old manager after the match.
Next he travelled to see Schalke take on Sevilla, a fantastic match ending 4 - 2 to the german side, a young Mexican of theirs named Esparza netting a hattrick, they'd have to watch out for him if they met at the World Cup in 3 years time.
September 6th Senegal (Ranked 9th) - Home - Friendly.

Ghana had 38 shots, Sengeal 11. Ghana possession 67%.

Ghana 2 - Senegal 3. The Black Stars even managed to miss a penalty. Now the problem was getting them to convert their many chances aside that they still pretended not to even recognise one another on the pitch; passes were only being made upon discovering they themselves were in trouble and had to offload the ball; too many roaming runs trying to dribble beyond the entire opposition. Exasperating for the manager and fans alike.

September 10th First competitive game - Sierra Leona - Away - African Cup of Nations Qualifying Group I.
Mensah 1, Vorsah 20, J Ayew 27, Bangura 31. 3 - 1 to Ghana, a good win to get under the belt even if it was Sierra Leone.
He sent the team away with a well done, but was poignant to state that they could do so much better, and should the next time.

Then came a fond occassion for the boss; Marseille drew Brighton the Champions League group stages, and so on his official duties to see Jordan Ayew play, he got to return to the Amex stadium on the south coast.

As he took his seat and the fans began to realise that their heroic boss was back in their midsts, the songs and cheers began to ring around.
"We can't pronounce your name, but you win us every game! Oooooooh our boy from Sussex!"
A wave each time the attention came back to him.

His old team dominated the game throughout, 3 - 0. He couldn't help but frown upon seeing them lineup however, no wingplay at all, the midfield was packed throughout the centre. Nothing like the team he had forged into winners. Well the new boss was bound to make changes to make the side his own.

Following the game he gave his first proper interview to the English media, seeming appropriate on the day. The questions of the why and the how it was going he answered quickly, really there was just one thing he wanted to talk about.

"~ So what do you think to Brighton's poor start to the season?"

"I think everyone ought to give them some time and Carlo some breathing space. Whenever a new manager comes in they adapt the play to their style, shape the team to what they know works best and create a squad that will work for them. People can't expect to have Carlo come in and instantly win everything when he works best playing through the middle, completely not what style I had them play."

"Do you think its the wrong approach given that you had them play so wide to such great effect?"

"No I don't, aren't you listening? Carlo is a great manager, I was delighted when I heard it was him who would take over from me. He just needs a little time to get them playing how he wants, you'll see, come the end of the season he be in a great position and hopefully all of you doubters will feel silly for having ever questioned him and his methods."

Following the match he met back up with the team, a fond reunion. A drink of wine with the Italian manager and friend, hearing of his experiences on the south coast a little before he headed back to sunny Ghana.

Injuries began to pour in, the workload was light and slow to come in, but when it did it usually was unwelcome. Sat at his desk, he called up the various injured players, asking how long they would be out, wishing them speedy recoveries.

11th October Cape Verde - Home - Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying.
Kwadwo Asamoah came down with an illness the morning of the game. Despite losing the best player, Boakye got a couple. 2 - 0. They were still on course to qualify.

He resumed his other duties, watching young midfield talent Ibrahim Opoku play for Wolves before watching a fringe player for Southampton. Ibrahim would be playing for Ghana for years to come, and likely for a bigger club before long.

Then came an important occassion for the squad.

((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7FqUNlEdwA))

15th November Russia (Ranked 18th) - Away - Friendly.
Just below Ghana in the rankings (if they counted for too much at all), an away trip to them would be the first time they played outside of Africa under the manager, and going to Russian soil would prove a tough ask with the difference in climate and the partisan crowd.
The colourful full of song Ghanaian travelling support filtered in alongside the Russian faithful, some less welcoming than others for their guests. Optimism was aplenty as both sides keenly felt they had a strong chance of gaining a great outcome here. Perhaps the Russians with their well gelled side were the better looking of the two teams.

It started brightly, 22 minutes in Boakye keeping up his good run of form internationally curled one beyond Akinfeev, the Ghanaian's jumped about in their usual manner, music and song came from the stands. The stretch to half time came sooner than the manager might have anticipated, the team-talk was simply more of the same, they were working well surprisingly. Perhaps they had done their homework.

The Russians however emerged looking aggressive, a fire in them. The fans on their side were jeering them, willing them to get busy attacking and take the game to their African opposition. Ghana came under the cosh, Butalov 54 minutes, and after repeated squandered chances they finally took the lead through Dzyuba in the 78th.

Gerrard and the manager had made their changes, it was just a friendly but no one else looked fit or able to do a job. Luckily the match didn't count for much, so they could treat it as a learning experience.

But without warning his players started looking horrified, anger all of a sudden was eminating from every player near where he was as they threw arms in powerful gestures. The referee began to go over when the manager saw it.

"Oh no" Gerrard murmured. The manager reacted differently. Whether it was the red mist at first hand witnessing the act, or whether it was some irrational train of thought prevailing, he walked out onto the pitch, his players coming towards him he held out his hands to keep them where they were. They were ready to leave the pitch in protest, he wouldn't have it.

View attachment 302460 As he picked up the banana before any steward made it there, he turned and held it up to the monkey chants of the Russian culprits, bare chested mimicking the foul actions. Strolling back towards the fans, he peeled the banana, slowly taking bites from it as he swallowed the dirty looking fruit. The players watched baffled, his staff were unsure how to take the mad action.

When he reached the sideline, stood before the fans he finished it off, gripping the skin into his fist before hurling it at the sick fans with everything he had. Stewards bundled over, amassing before the scene. The manager turned and called to his players.

"Beat them!"

Play eventually resumed. Ghana were now in the ascendency, clearly fueled by the proceedings. Just a few minutes after the restart, captain Andre Ayew took charge, reshaping the back of the Russian net.

2 - 2 it finished, the Russians were silent except for those who felt outraged. Ghana went home happy, they had fought harder than ever before under their new boss, the players at least assured he felt strongly for their wellbeing and rights. The draw felt like a small victory.

FIFA would likely look at the incident during the game; the manager wouldn't have been surprised if they took action against him, he also didn't care. Any racism in a game was totally unacceptable and until the governing bodies took stronger and stronger action to get it out it would just continue.

He hoped the two teams would meet at the world cup when his boys would be ready, they would crush them in retribution.
19th November Croatia (Ranked 4th) - Away - Friendly
4 days later, the Croatian authorities fearing a repeat incident of the one in Russia were ready; security for the pre-arranged friendly was tight. The fans knew after past experiences that the unacceptable acts were not welcome, the Croatian FA had come under all kinds of scrutiny over the incidents. It wasn't gone, but it was less apparent now. With any luck they'd get a good game.

Cuitkovic 22, Andre Ayew 24, Ivan Strinic 29. 1 - 2.

Croatia proved why they were 4th in the world, a commanding performance. Yet there was a lot to take away, the team had really put in the work. Some of the Ghana players were upset at losing the match, only to be told it was early days, they were playing these teams to get them used to the style of football they played in case they met. And the more they themselves played, the better their own game would get.

The manager upon arriving home with the team called his staff. The calander was empty, they would have nothing to do for over 170 days until their next meeting. Rather than just sit on their hands, the order was to go home and spend some time with their families; he would do the same after another game or two.
CFR Cluj vs Stuttgart, then Marseille vs Brighton. Ancelotti was on the verge of the sack apparently. He spoke to the media again calling for time, no way should they sack the man.
Next up he watched the African Super Cup with the top Ghanaian club team Assante Kotoko. Sadly the players involved he could tell despite the lively game would never make the standard he was looking for, showing his face at the matches to cast an eye couldn't hurt though.

Wigan sacked Gus Poyet, and promptly poached Martin Petrov from the Under 20's. George Owu Ghanaian favourite was hired to replace him, the first Ghanaian member of staff he had signed Following all his duties, he finally got some much needed time at home to see in the new year.

It wasn't until June he had anything noteworthy to work on. International management really was wildly different to normal club management.
Brighton had finished 2nd in the league, won the Charity Shield, UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup, and the Capital One Cup again. Really not a bad first season for Carlo, and even more pleasing it had proved the manager right in his statement of give him time.
5th June Zimbabwe - Home - World Cup African Section Qualifying Round 2.
Asamoah 3, I Opoku 31, J Ayew 51, Sarpong 68, Boakye 81. 5 - 0. A nice way to meet back up.

12th June Mauritius - Away - World Cup Qualifying
6 - 2.

It saddened the manager when he saw the players going out of the door at his old club. They had already sold Simao to AC Milan and Patrick Herrmann to Manchester United; Diego Contento to Chelsea and Pavel Hajek to Real Madrid. But now they released Keisuke Honda on a free, aged 34, clearly they felt he was undeserving of a new contract rather than letting him end his career with the club. Waving to the fans, he left the club he and the manager had got on so well at, the Japanese player so obviously crucial to the success they had won.

View attachment 302480
12th August Ukraine (Ranked 6th) - Away - Friendly
Whether the Ukraine FA had decided they would show they were nothing to do with the racism in Eastern Europe, to show they were better than their neighbours, or simply chose to the arrange the match with Ghana for football reasons was unknown to the boss. But they did provide a stern challenge.

1 - 3 they beat The Black Stars, Jordan Ayew managing to sneak one against the run of play, it was another education and clearly another reminder that the Ghanaian side had to get better aquainted with the brand of football these teams played if they were to give them some competition at the coming tournament.

4th September Djibouti - Away - Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying
Ghana steamed ahead in the first half into a 6 nil lead, yet it ended 6 - 3. As they began to dance as they always loved to back in the dressing room for their large victory the manager quickly shouted them out of their revelry; conceeding three goals to Djibouti like that was totally unacceptable. Stunned, they watched as their English boss chewed them out, concentration, composure. They couldn't go to piece like that.

The atmosphere felt rotten, perhaps he had been a little too harsh.
8th September Cape Verde - Away - Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying
4 - 0. They fluffled many chances, but not conceeding was a good way to see out the game. His aggression had perhaps paid off. In the changing room afterwards they appeared quiet, not at all their usual selves. Worried it would seem that he might find flaws somewhere else now.

"That lads, was a good win today. You could have got more, but take nothing away, a clean sheet...and you know what else it means?

They just silently looked at him, still unsure.

"You've Qualified! Game in hand to boot, yet to lose in this easy group, so well done!" The smiles came out, he wasn't done trying to build them back up however "Now I've always loved watching it, how about you show me some moves?"

((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktTVTQavxj0))

Music began to play in the dressing room, without waiting another second the players were on their feet flashing their brilliant pearlies as one after another they started shuffling and dancing en mass, singing with the song that apparently they all knew well. He'd never heard it in his life.

"C'mon boss!" Opoku tried. The English manager looked at Asamoah to his side, the pair exchanging looks as the thin rangey white man began to try and copy his moves. The laughs started pouring from every corner of the room, Gerrard simply standing back and letting his manager make the fool of himself. Lord he was terrible, zero rhythm, he looked like he was either drunk or suffering somehow. In no time at all he stopped and simply applauded his boys, their high spirits restored.

9th October Siera Leona - Home - Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying
6 - 2; they unfortunately saw just how much of a danger their goalkeeper was however, a pass back to him to keep the possession and allow him to spread the play ended in the attacker closing him down from some 20 yards away, dwelling on the ball he simply was dispossed and left with egg on his face. How they wished there was another to take his place, even a promising 16 year old would do...
View attachment 302650

11th November Holland (Ranked 9th) - Home - Friendly
0 - 3, they were outclassed from the word go. David Creemers had led from the front, the manager joked with him not to repeat the performance on them should they play again. Now in the second half of his twenties the Dutchman was going onto bigger things all the time.

They were in the final stretch before the tournament now. Not long to go.
With the rest of the world competing constantly also, Ghana had managed to drop down the ranks some distance. The manager had predicted it silently, it was always going to get much worse before it got better, the team were still learning his way of football, when they got that they could shoot back up. The Friendlies before the Cup of Nations would provide the platform he required to get the tactics well and truly drilled into their heads.

2nd January DR Congo (Ranked 19th) - Home - Friendly
2 - 0 against a similar ranked side, and one of the potential dangers at the coming competition. A good result then even if on home soil.

View attachment 302653
3rd January Burkina Faso (Ranked 22nd) - Home - Friendly
He had arranged it to be a day later on purpose, a tactic to get the team used to not playing every game as rotation saw the squad shift around. They had to get used to resting up for another game on the off-chance they got unlucky with the draw, their games in quick succession. 2 - 2, they were obviously tired, but a brave performance from many of the players who would just see the game from the bench.

6th January Brazil (Ranked 1st) - Home - Friendly
Just three days later he had lined up an even sterner test, the world champions and current number one side on the globe. Anyone could see why with their stars; Oscar, Leandro Damiao, Douglas Maximo, Neymar.
They tested out their defensive tactics against the South American wizards, 0 - 2. Given they were tired and still coming together it was a brilliant performance, no one felt hard done by. Douglas Maximo enjoyed the reunion with his old manager again.

9th January Cameroon (Ranked 13th) - Home - Friendly
Finally the last and most important of all of the friendlies. Having been working hard on and off the pitch, it seemed as Toure, Gerrard and the manager watched on that they had thank the heavens got the tactics down, they were playing as a unit, helping one another out.
Cameroon offered the truest test of all for their progress; the current holders of the Africa Cup of Nations, playing them before entering the tournament would show just how the efforts had paid off.

5 - 2 to Ghana. The job of getting them ready was done. 9 days before their first group game, the team boarded their plane and headed north to the host Nation Tunisia. The manager struggled to contain his excitement.

Last edited:
Africa Cup of Nations 2021
View attachment 302662

((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_K5YvbXaWY))

The manager started to draw on everything he knew which would psyche him up appropriately for the coming weeks, if everything went well it would be 3 glorious weeks of magnificent offerings to his senses. Stepping off the plane in Tunisia, the coaches were ready and waiting to take them to the city of Sousse where they would be based for the tournament.

It wouldn't have taken a genius to work out the players would be excited, anyone would have thought they had never been to one of these though. No man would have managed sleep on that bus, songs all the way as they seemed to perform for those peering in as they drove on by.

View attachment 302663 Arriving smartly at the training camp, what greeted them was a sea of faces, reporters and fans all congregated to try and steal a little time away from the players. Allowing those who wished to greet them to do so, the manager declined and got himself away from the crowds. He'd never been thrilled about all the travel the job entailed, but journeying with such a cheery mob drained you whether you liked it or not.

View attachment 302664 Their base city of Sousse was different to anywhere else he had visited in his career, the North African city sporting architecture and sights he was eager to take in before their time was done, and time willing should he find an opportunity he would book a trip to geek out at the Star Wars set.

((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A))

Fortunately there was a little time to get out and see the offerings, being careful of course to temper any willingness to go a little wild, they hadn't even kicked off the group stages yet.

View attachment 302667

The good atmosphere carried into training, all the time they were working together on the areas of the game the manager wished them to play and getting better for it. The friendlies in the run up had really done the trick in getting them at last to gel.

It wasn't long before his duties as manager meant he had to speak to the press. Their drop in rankings at least some comfort since it was a while before the mass of journalists got round to the now ranked 30th Ghana team, an outside chance for the trophy they all felt.

Q. "Your team are looking confident of themselves, do you believe you can pull off an upset here?"

A. "Certainly, we may have been seeded third for our group, but I think you can expect to see us qualify, of that I'm certain."

Q. "The Ivorians and Egyptians will no doubt have something to say about that. Of the two which do you think you can get the result you will need to partner the probable win over Botswana?"

A. "Both. No need to dampen our chances, we can beat any team at this tournament on our day. With any luck, I'll be proven right of that before we speak again."

Tournament football did however bring other problems with it the manager was new to. Fortunately having played in them, Kolo Toure and Steven Gerrard were hot on sorting out the issues before they grew into public problems. Hotel incidents involving local ladies; minor flare-ups with the Ivorian squad who had for whatever reason decided to stay in the same **** hotel. They were insignificant things, but if left unchecked would threaten the mood of the squad; how lucky it was he had brought what staff he had with him.

So focused was he however on the training of the team, getting them pepped up and tooled to take on their group opponents, that the first day in question was upon them before long.

Group B - Ivory Coast, Egypt, Ghana, Botswana.

January 18th Egypt - Group B - Stade du 15 OctobreIt was the stadium they would be seeing the most of here, so better they get used to it quickly and make it their own.
View attachment 302670 If any factor could decide how much of a home they made it, it would be the fans. Full of their endless energy and eccentric dynamic displays, the players only had to take a cursory glance to the stands to see their backing staking claim to the arena.

Appearing on the pitch, they were looking as if they were born for this tournament alone. The Ghanaian team sprung into action the moment the whistle went, it was attack right from the off.

Addy the left back struck first on 9 minutes. The passing was so good, the ball rolling about between the midfield effortlessly as the Egyptians were left chasing a shadow. Quick short play, a touch and pass it on, real basics taken to a higher level.
Captain Andre Ayew got himself going for the cup after 21 minutes, Majeed up front just two minutes later. They returned from the break 3 nil to the good, perhaps that was why then that despite the dominance they failed to add to the tally. The woodwork saved Egypt again and again, you could count the number of times as the scrambles in the box resulted in chances ricocheting wildly, the vivid pangs of the metal vibrating under the assault each time they came so close. Finally Richard Boateng pushed forward from the middle of the park to net the team's fourth, and they saw the match out. 4 - 0, what an opener!

Five days were all they had now to prepare before the next tie, and possibly the most crucial.

((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBISo8wg0Ig))

January 23rd Ivory Coast - Group B - Stade du 15 Octobre

The favourites for the group had also notched up an impressive 4 - 0 opening win, though against Botswana who were without question the whipping boys of the group.

Fears were rising from the stirring reporters over how Ghana's defence would hold up against the aged Seydou Doumbia, already with a decent tally from the first match he was looking in very fine form for the orange clad side.
View attachment 302672 With five in midfield to try and control the middle and feed their lone forward, the Ivorians had a clear game plan to deal with the Ghanaians.

It didn't work in the slightest. A Opoku 44, Asamoah 61, I Opoku 81. 3 - 0.

January 27th Botswana - Group B - Stade Mustapha Ben Jannet

View attachment 302676
Unfortunately they had to relocate, it wasn't far but they were leaving the city they were quite comfortably making that base out of. At least the opposition wouldn't put up the kind of resistance to make them worry, at opposite ends of the table it was clear that the Ghana team would finish with three victories to take the group.Lekgari O.G 16, A Ayew Pen 46, Mujeed 49, Tusohone 70. 3 - 1, top of the group, 9 points.

Group BForAgPts
Ghana1019
Ivory Coast756
Egypt381
Botswana281

The Quarter Final ties were drawn:

Algeria V Ivory Coast
Tunisia V Ghana
Mali V Cameroon
DR Congo V South Africa

Not perfect, out of Algeria and Tunisia they would rather not have had to play the host nation, the home crowd always an advantage which spurs on the host team to feats beyond their normal means.
The only consolation for the tough draw was the return to their base city of Sousse, familiar ground not far away once again. The fans hopped on whatever transport they could find, the trip would no doubt reflect that of the team bus.
View attachment 302696

Fans of both nations began to assemble, the Tunisians largely keeping to themselves as the roving packs of Ghanaians refused to stop their songs throughout the streets.

January 31st Tunisia - Quarter Finals - Stade du 15 Octobre

The manager doubted he had felt quite so nervous before. International knockout football, it felt so different to that of the Champions League. Playing the host contributed to the feeling he was sure of it, such a tension as the Ghanaians never let up, combating the more numerous natives in their foster home stadium.

It related to the action on the pitch. No sooner had they started than Tunisia were looking fresh, attacking with creative runs which quickly saw Vorsah and Mensah scrambling to fulfill their duties. Andre Ayew and Kwadwo Asamoah communicating visibly started to work an understanding against the hosts, it seemed the manager wouldn't need to be changing things up just yet despite the obvious danger.

Before the half was out, Majeed and A Opoku were threatening the Tunisian goal, their efforts screwed up attempts as they buckled under the pressure however.

Time for one of his teamtalks to get them going then. Gerrard had made his notes, the areas they could exploit, the shape they could change in the middle to work a winning formula. Come the second half and it was obvious they were in control.

57 minutes Asamoah launched himself into the box, hit the keeper with a tame effort, but the man couldn't hold onto it. Spilling the ball into the 6 yard box, Asamoah pounced on the free ball to tap it home.
View attachment 302685
A Ayew 63, I Opoku 65. What a spell of dominance. Tunisia had a late surge, gaining one back for their troubles, but it was too late, the hosts were dumped out in wonderful style by the west coast side. 3 - 1.

Quarter Final Results:
Algeria 2(aet) - 1 Ivory Coast
Tunisia 1 - 3 Ghana
Mali 1 - 0 Cameroon
DR Congo 4 - 2 South Africa​

So Mali would be next after the multiple upsets, Cameroon out to unlikely outfit Mali, aswell as the sorry looking Ivory Coast team.

View attachment 302690
February 4th Mali - Semi Final - Stade Olympique

The stakes were rising and pressure building. Mali out of the draw was the team would always have hoped to play against, but being such underdogs that might inspire them onto great deeds; it had with Brighton in the past.

There wasn't any delaying, the game started promptly, and to the manager's dismay another first half where they failed to find the back of the net. Chance after chance, opportunities made whenever they felt like it, yet every finish was a royal ****, the fans making the best of what was on offer.
View attachment 302688

There was no question the manager had ripped them a new one. Calm down the finish, think about what they were doing and continue working together - the final ball included.

A Ayew 55,Majeed 62, J Ayew 80, Maiga 83. 3 - 1, they were into the final, an Algerian side who beat DR Congo 4 - 1 would be waiting for them there.

DR Congo took third place upon beating Mali 2 - 1, it was unimportant, just bragging rights for the losers though he would likely feel differently were his team taking part.

The players still had their heads in the clouds, dancing all of the time, joking freely as if there was no pressure at all. Fans paraded outside the hotel, a constant barrage of songs from a party atmosphere they had sculpted with little effort.

It may have been the nerves of a final, but the manager could have done without it. He wanted pure focus.

"Tomorrow its the final, and Algeria look strong, if I didn't know better from the looks of you both I'd say they want it more."

"That's not true" Complained the captain Andre Ayew "They're just worried how badly we're going to beat them."

"Right, nothing to worry about the way we've glided past everyone else." Added his brother.

"Thats what I'm worried about, your complacency, we saw it in the past two games where you failed to get going at all for the first 45 minutes. It's not good enough, you need to be 100% composing yourselves for this, go into that game tomorrow totally ready to act sharply and take control of the match."

They looked unimpressed, but on some level it was getting through.

"You can party all you want following the game, just do what I tell you for now, trust me it isn't going to be as simple as you think if you just burn off all your energy now playing up. Give me today and come tomorrow I'll be in your hands for the celebrations should we pull it off."

"Deal!" Andre was quick to reply, the team grinned at the prospect of what they might do to their manager. With a clap of the hands and a few words to dismiss them, they retired to their rooms to rest at the behest of the man in charge.

((http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2JQIvZNDX8))

February 7th Algeria - Final - Stade Olympique

Their exploits came down to this, the Africa Cup of Nations final, their chance to lift the trophy and stake their claim to the throne as Africa's top side.

Reporters tried getting an interview out of the boss, he wasn't having it, his mind was on the job alone. The fans began their usual parade of supreme colours and festivities, the contrasting Green and white with the menagerie the Ghanaians offered a sight he was quickly coming to love witnessing.

View attachment 302697 He couldn't have asked for a better start. Clapping his hands and shouting a fierce "Come on!!!" As they kicked off, Ghana raced into the lead, Addy the left back once again getting into a forward position to strike one home, just 5 minutes on the clock.

Jordan Ayew was having a stormer, 18 minutes after a failed one on one with the goalkeeper got his second break, through he sped beyond the Algerian back four, his eyes searching for that spot, he instead of letting one loose like before jinked it to the side. The keeper sprawling to cover the distance was beaten, he calmly rolled it into the open net.

Majeed added another in the 44th, Ramdani with the last kick of the half offered Algeria some hope. 3 - 1 with 45 minutes gone.

Fearing an Algerian onslaught, they changed it up. One hand was on the cup he told the boys, they knew it too, but following the promise the night before they refused to get carried away just yet. Dropping back, they shut up shop playing on the counter. On and on the North African side came, pressing to find the gaps in the Ghanaian defence. They'd have found them if the midfield covering hadn't done their jobs so well.

With the game nearing its end, Jordan Ayew made his claim for the match ball, striding clear of the pack, he once again rounded the keeper to slide home. Belfoudi pulled one back before it was done, but all too late.

Ghana 4 - 2 Algeria

View attachment 302700

((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV55s5cXNS0))

Without a moments notice the celebrations sparked throughout the stadium. Fans danced and cheered with everything they could muster, the players tore back and fore flags in hand, their shirts gripped tightly in elated fists as they screamed to their adoring supporters.

As the team gathered to jump as one, their eyes turned to their manager who had masterminded the whole cup. He looked to Toure and Gerrard for help, his loyal staff holding up hands and backing off instantly as they abandoned him. His players rushed him, picking him up to throw him into the air again and again, the cheers sounded with each fling of the poor man helpless before his captors.

Putting him down, he thanked them. He may well not have done, as they each began to laugh and grin, the players formed a circle to cut off his escape route and began to dance in their always pleasing way.
View attachment 302709

"C'mon boss!"

"A promise is a promise!"

"Dance, dance, dance!" Went the unified chant.

He couldn't refuse. Looking sheepish and out of sorts, he tried his best to go with the rhythm they commanded, a little samba back and forth as he had no idea what to do with his arms. Anything likely would have been enough to satisfy them. They turned to the crowds with their manager and joined in, the photographers happily snapping away at the scenes of delirium.

The men in suits called them over, Andre Ayew stepped up, and pushed their prize to the sky. A wonderful moment for the Ghana team and people to enjoy for some time to come.

Last edited:
2021-22: The Call of Arabia
View attachment 304734

((You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet by Bachman-Turner Overdrive (Lyrics) - YouTube))

Ghana celebrated their new riches, and every citizen felt the envy of Africa as they toasted their success so publicly in the streets of Accra. There wasn't a single Ghanaian individual who dismissed the footballing glory they had achieved, appriciation was universal.

The manager smiled with them, delighted of course that they had managed to gain their continental trophy. But he knew as well as his staff did that however well they had played; the Africa Cup of Nations standard really wasn't at the level they had been used to, it wasn't the peak they wanted this Ghana team to rise to. Truthfully, he had taken the job for one reason alone; the greatest prize in the entire world of sport, the golden idol every child alive dreamed of.

As the players finished their homecoming celebrations they all returned to their club football and normality. He began his duties as boss with the viewing of an Arsenal match against Athletic Bilbao; his former employee Martin Petrov sitting with him in the stands as the Bulgarian viewed the English team he was on the verge of signing for as manager.

Valencia's Jonathan Mensah was next against Bayern Munich. The games were often nothing special to him besides the odd thriller, but wishing not to risk failing in his tasks required he attended all the same.
20th March Zambia - Away - World Cup Qualifying
The month away from the game after the brilliant high of international football tournament felt like a new kind of low, a lull the manager had not been anticipating to such a degree. Meeting up with the squad again, he felt a quiet building inside of him; a rising excitment returning, one that said this was it now, from here on out it was all the way to the main event in his eyes.

Mwale 8, KP Boateng 19, A Ayew pen.71, KP Boateng 82. 3 - 1. An initial scare avoided, Kevin Prince most certainly at the very end of his career showing he still at least could do the business against such poor opposition.

23th March Zimbabwe - Away - World Cup Qualifying
Kappelhof 2, Perezo 32, Kappelhof 61, 76. 3 - 1. Qualified for the next round in the Africa section, nice and comfortably, fringe player Kappelhof who may or may not feature in the future getting all three to try and stake his place.

View attachment 304766
Following the game and the return to their somewhat lacking offices in Accra, the manager pulled Gerrard, Toure and John to one side; the tiny contingent of office staff continuing with their light workload quietly beneath the hum of the airconditioning.

"Did anything strike you as lacking in those ties and in Tunisia guys?" He put to them quizzically.

"How do you mean? We conceeded unnecessarily in both qualifiers against shocking opposition, but we know we can't do anything more about the defence than we already have." Gerrard summarised.

"No, as bad as they were to conceed thats not what I mean. I think I might mean the crowd."

Toure raiesd an eyebrow "African crowds are always brilliant, lots of song and dance, I can't see how they aren't doing their bit"

"No no, you're right of course. It's just I feel like we could do with something to make an event of, like a specific celebration when we score which the players can warm to upon hearing, or at the very least give us a giggle."

"What are you thinking then?" The three coaches asked skeptically.

"Well, Liverpool have Elvis which is recognised as one of the best in the world. In Germany a few clubs to my knowledge do their booming with the announcer of the scorer's name - really intimidating but very German."

"So....." Gerrard trailed off, his hand rolling with the word.

"We need an anthem." He put plainly.

"Africa by Toto?" Jerome John offered.

"How can you sing that from the stands?!" Toure interjected with some exasperation before breaking out his voice "I bless the rains down in Africa, gonna take some time to do the...." looking around he quickly faded out, the few workers all grinning with bemusement at the men's little meeting.

"Haha, yeah thats rubbish John. No something catchy everyone knows with a bit of oompf."

"Queen? Beatles?" Toure plumped, hoping the English links might be the answer.

"Too obvious, we've got an opportunity to have a little fun at the Ghanaians expense here I think." The Ivorian gave a little smile as his manager rebuffed the suggestion.

"So what?" Gerrard asked clearly wishing to avoid getting into a lengthy brainstorm.

"Neil Diamond?" The manager offered.

"****** ****!" Chuckled Gerrard, a dismissive wave of his hand as he walked off laughing "Yeah sure, you go for it."

"Becca, could you get me a meeting with some prominant Ghana fan leaders please?"

View attachment 304763
Carlo Ancelotti led Brighton to win the Premier League and a Champions League semi-final. The Ghana boss decided to attend the final as Juventus who had knocked out the sussex side took on Manchester United. Unfortunately for Kwadwo Asamoah it wasn't to be, as the red devils walked a 3 - 0 victory. Perhaps he could take consolation in his Cup of Nations medal already this year.
4th June Zambia - Home - World Cup Qualifying
I Opoku 4, Mayuka 29, J Ayew 80, A Ayew 85, Banda 89. 3 - 2. A poor performance but with the group wrapped up he took the opportunitity to field some other players, give them some international time to see if they would fit in.

View attachment 304768
8th June Brazil - Home - Friendly
Having decided he wanted his side playing the best in the world, another friendly against the World Champions was arranged. Testing themselves against the best would be the way forward, so long as they had other matches to raise morale they would gain the best experience taking on Neymar and company.

The first half was extremely promising, the crowd getting behind the team fantastically as they halted the Brazilian attack repeatedly. It was only into the second half that Brazil began to find the chances coming their way, 63 minutes Oscar finding his shooting boots, Manoel 83. 0 - 2. A really promising performance, and touching as Kevin Prince Boateng called time on his career, ending his time with the national side with a spirited effort against the Brazilians.
1st July Mauritius - Away - Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying
A Ayew 3, A Opoku 20, R Boateng 33, Mensah 53. 4 - 0.

9th July Tanzania - Home - Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying
Asamoah 8, A Ayew 12, 14, 22, Khafan 58, Mtiliga 60, Asamoah 67, Vorsah 71, I Opoku 86, Mensah 88. 7 - 3.

View attachment 304767
11th August Scotland - Home - Friendly
Languishing in the world rankings, Scotland was another hand picked test from the manager. Despite being a team which failed to gain any ground in their international qualifiers, Scotland had a very promising crop of players, headed up by his old Brighton player Steven Rodger who had come along incredibly well.

McLatchie 9, Grant Adam o.g 35. 1 - 1. It didn't read well on paper, but the manager knew it was a good result even if they may have been able to grab the win. The early pressure from the Scots as clear an indication as they needed as to how the midfield would need to assist the poor defence.

3rd September Mauritius - Home - World Cup Qualifying
Asamoah 27, Content 52, Boakye 60, A Ayew 74, B Boateng 82, Majeed 84. 5 - 1. That made 6 games 6 wins, just about the manager's minimum expectation for them in such a qualifying group.

((Light Asylum - Dark Allies - YouTube))

World Cup Qualifying Round 2:
Mali V Tunisia
Ghana V Ivory Coast
Senegal V South Africa
Cameroon V Guinea
DR Congo V Algeria

It was a tough ask, Ivory were one of the favourites. Out of all the teams in the draw, the Ivorians were really one of the ones to avoid. Lacina Traore would be gunning for them after the Cup of Nations he watched from the bench. Just one fixture to get out of the way beforehand.

7th September Chad - Away - Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying
Majeed 24, A Ayew sent off 38, Boakye 53, Asamoah 55, Majeed 75. 4 - 0.

View attachment 304771
8th October Ivory Coast - Home - World Cup Qualifying Round 2 leg 1
Somehow it felt as if it would be easier if they could set a good tone at home first rather than relying on having it all to do in a second leg, home or away. He just had that feeling his boys were still prone to letting their heads drop a little too easily unless they were really up against it in extreme circumstances.

Any plans were moot as the entire first half went by without incident of any kind. The crowd were silent, the atmosphere nowhere to be found as the drole play sent everyone for a mile around in an unpleasant slumber. He riled them up, they absolutely had to get something now else risk failing to reach the World Cup at all, wasting years of work and the entire reason he had taken the job.

The Captain started pulling his weight, getting a few tricks in as he commanded his left wing. The Ivorians put up resistance, but eventually Ghana found their gaps.
A Ayew 73, Asamoah 90+1. 2 - 0. The tie had been saved, two goals were enough to give them a cushion.

What did give the manager cause to smile were the fans efforts. When Andre Ayew finally sunk one in, there was a murmuring in pockets as he distinctly heard the words to a little Neil Diamond number. They'd get used to it, and he'd have a flipping good chuckle when they did nail it.
12th November Ivory Coast - Away - World Cup Qualifying Round 2 leg 2
The Ivorians looked sinister as they stepped out for the game. Their fanbase were supreme, elephants and the orange were in abundance as a carpet of orange blanketed the streets and stadium.

Lacina Traore stood imposingly over the kick off, his lofty height something Ghana were lacking in all areas of the pitch. They kicked off with intent, the Ivory Coast dropping back to their defence immediately before building from the back. Ghana had their work cut out.

On came the Ivorian stars through the centre, Asamoah struggling to cope with his duties for a change as the midfield became swamped with orange shirts. Boateng the attacking midfielder was having to drop back, with zero defensive skills he posed as much of a liability as he did a boon to the efforts. 16 minutes, Boateng came charging in a little from the Ghana box, launching himself into a slide he got nothing of the ball and everything of the player. Yellow card and a dangerous free kick.

Ivory Coast set themselves, hovering over the ball as they eyed the Ghanaians jostling in the box; the huge height of Lacina looking like a real threat now.
The ball was sent in, up with Sarpong and Traore, the Ghana leftback actually managed to get higher than the Ivorian forward, but he wasn't set right. Climbing high, the strength and bulk of the forward pushed him off balance, the ball met his head - only to cannon into the back of the net. Disaster.
View attachment 304772

The Ghana defence sorted themselves out, Mensah bullying them into their proper positions. Through the first half and into the second the game went; tenderhooks as there was a real sense the Ivorians could take this comfortably the way they were looking.

Eager to rectify his mistakes, Richard Boateng picked up the ball on the centre spot. With some intent to his actions he without delaying laid the ball off to Opoku and bombed forward. The Arsenal midfielder on the ball took a neat touch, around the challenge he went before looking up. He sprayed the ball up the pitch, players seemed to draw toward its destination like water draining down a plughole, all eyes were angled upwards as the leather looped down toward the Ivory area.

Boateng got up, perhaps unfairly as his hands pushed on the defender's back. With a powerful flick of his neck muscles his forehead thumped against it. An equaliser and a little security. 66 minutes played.

Ivory Coast restarted play, Lacina looked furious. They charged repeatedly, there was nothing else for it, they would be forgoing their ticket to the big event if they didn't throw everything into it now. Ghana looked unable to cope, 76 minutes Lacina forced some space with his domination in the 6 yard box. The hopeless keeper came out the short distance trying to make himself as big as the towering hulk. Through his legs the ball rolled.

"Tighten up for gods sake!" Screamed the Ghana boss, his players looked on edge. "Come on! 15 minutes! Just close them down!!" He boomed, and the players heeded. Traore powered at them with his teammates every time the ball was cleared, but with every body back defending there existed no way through. Reduced to longshots, they lacked that moment of magic from 30 yards.
1 - 2 on the day; 3 - 2 on aggregate. Ghana had thank the heavens qualified for the World Cup in Qatar 2022.

World Cup Qualifying Round 2 Aggregate Results:
Mali 0 - 4 Tunisia
Ghana 3 - 2 Ivory Coast
Senegal 2 - 6 South Africa
Cameroon 5 - 3 Guinea
DR Congo 7 - 5 Algeria

Tunisia, Ghana, South Africa, Cameroon and the Democratic Republic of the Congo would be representing Africa at the World Cup.

16th November Mauritius Home Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying
Mitraille 20, Quansah 49. 1 - 1. A tame result though Mauritius withstood an inhuman barrage as Ghana failed to find the net more than once.

View attachment 304774
Then came one of the most tense occassions they would have in their roles as staff when not working on the pitch. They had been so desperately waiting for the event, as sitting in the audience they watched the draw for the World Cup group stages.

Whisperings going on from every row and cluster of affiliated persons, the Ghana contingent held their breath as they came around to their seed rank.

They drew without a doubt the easiest group in the tournament in Group C. Qatar the hosts, Peru, Ghana, and Canada. Breathing a sigh of relief, the manager with Toure and Gerrard exchanged grins. Surely they would at least get out of the group stages with that.
As the draw slowly played out, gasps slipped out as Group D took its shape - as the group of death.
Argentina, Germany, England, South Korea. That would be a tough ask for Martin Jol's England side. Others wern't easy either; Group F: France, Italy, Columbia and the in form Mexico. It was all on toward the summer then.

((Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond - YouTube))

1st March South Africa - Home - Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying
A Opoku 3, Boatkye 33, Masilela 52, L Mohammed 83. 3 - 1.

He went to watch Marseille V Brighton again; Reading V Arsenal, and Inter V Juventus. Carlos Fierro grabbed a hattrick for Inter in a 5 - 0 win, the Mexicans would be incredibly dangerous at the cup from the looks of things.

The World Cup Squads were announced, no real surprises in the Ghana team, a few players sad to be left out but generally they already knew who they were in the side, they had already been speaking with the manager about the coming preparations for the tournament and the feeling was with a good run in, they could do quite nicely out of this.
23rd May England (ranked 18th) - Away - Wembley - Friendly
So he had given himself a little treat in arranging a tie at Wembley Stadium. A man could get withdrawal symptoms having become acustomed to visiting the great arena so regularly in the past.

The Ghanaian support turned up in fine form, song and dance welcomed by the English for the first friendly as they all congregated down Wembley way to the stadium's vast grounds.

Ghana tried their best, but as the 90 minutes unfolded, Gerrard and the manager found it almost unbareable to watch being such English favourites themselves, caught on the wrong side. Arms folded; in their seats, at the edge of the technical area, it was torture to watch.

Weatherby 7, Corns 10, Stannard 52, Akarsu 60, 83, Yahaya 88 minutes got a consolation goal. 1 - 5.

Martin Jol having had to endure the pressure of being the man they didn't want really almost glowed with delight as he paced over on the final whistle to shake the manager's hand. He clearly felt he had done some justifying in the heavy victory over the man who would have had his job were the fans in charge.

View attachment 304779
25th May France (ranked 2nd) - Away - Grand Stade Lille Metropole - Friendly
Having set up a small tour of Europe to continue the education of the football played there, next they travelled to France who were sitting rather more comfortably in the FIFA rankings. Their performance only a little less inspired than England's as they slacked off in the second half. It made for easy watching for the French.

Benzia 5, 7, Kemal 20, Tsengwa 45+1. 0 - 4.
27th May Portugal (ranked 4th) - Away - Estadio Municipal de Aveiro - Friendly
It wasn't going well, heavy defeats at every turn. Portugal were obviously thrilled to receive the Ghana team for their turn, and likely victory.

Vilaca 3, A Ayew 4, Varela 6, Oliveira 43. 1 - 3.

30th May Peru (ranked 8th) - Home - Baba Yara - Friendly
With the European idea out of the way, he had to build the team back up. Upon finding out the group draw a friendly against Peru was arranged. Being the strongest side on paper in the group, they would do well to beat them, though he wouldn't put his players through having to travel all the way from Europe to South America to do it.

I Opoku 21. 1 - 0.
As the early goal thundered home, the crowd began to rise in volume. Turning to face the stands, the manager couldn't help but grin from ear to ear as Gerrard and Toure burst into a fit of laughter not at the fans expense.

Rising beautifully, in their their wonderful deep slightly husky African tones, half the stadium burst into chorus "Swuu-eeeeeeeeeeet Caroline!!! BAH BAH BAH!!!" Trumpets accompanying in time "Good times never seemed so good!!! I've been inclined! BAH BAH BAH!!! to believe they never would, but now I...."

He couldn't stop the smile as the fans lifted the spirits of both the team and his own in that instant alone. Bless the lot of them, champions in their own right.
A solid victory which had the promise of so much more now despite the relatively poor football on show.

View attachment 304770
3rd June Ivory Coast (ranked 7th) - Home - Baba Yara - Friendly
Pre-arranged before even the qualifying knockouts for the World Cup, he likely would have picked them out anyway due to their strength and depth. Sticking to home, they meted out a close fought tie.

Asamoah 20, I Opoku 33, Bony 38, Bamba 90. Boakye goal disallowed 90+1. 2 - 2. Tired legs did well against the Ivorians seeking vengence for their failed World Cup campaign.

6th June Turkey (ranked 31st) - Away - Kadir Has - Friendly
Finally, with the idea of having a last friendly to generate optimism with a great victory, they travelled to Turkey to see what they had to offer.

Whilst 31st in the world, the manager had checked them out. They had some real match winners in their midsts, players who were unfortunate not to have gained more on the International stage.

It couldn't have started worse. Within a minute the Turks took the lead through some fine play from Bas. Ghana restarted, promptly lost the ball, and Albayrak slotted in on the 3rd minute to make it 0 - 2.
Gerrard was the one out of his seat this time, screaming orders to the Ghana defence as they failed superbly to perform any of their jobs. The manager sat in his bucketseat shaking his head, fearing the worst for the tournament proper.

Andre Ayew stepped up again as Captain to get Ghana composed. With little else going his team's way, on 25 minutes he shaped up some way out, and fired a 35 yard screamer past the Turkish keeper. They had some hope in the tie at last.

Turkey kicked off, kept possession, and Bas who was making a pain of himself grabbed another on 32 mins. Ghana restarted, kept it, and themselves got up the pitch to let Majeed slide home in the 36th. End to end the whole time.

View attachment 304781
Gokhan Tore repeated the act soon after for the Turks. The defence in the game so abject they might as well have just both fielded sides full of strikers. Half time was looming, and it looked as if the Turkish would go in with the lead and sitting pretty with a two goal lead. Asamoah decided contry to their wishes, he upped his game like a demon to blast one for himself just before the whistle.

There were no prizes for how the dressing room treatment had gone. 3 - 4 down to the Turkish, the back four were non-existant and the midfield were losing possession as if the ball carried the plague.
The shouts could be heard by the officials and staff lingering by the tunnel; the team emerged looking frightened and determined.

Asamoah led the way. 47 he got his second; Badu then quickly nailed his name to the list in the 51st, before finally Asamoah at 33 years of age showed the rest of the team just how you closed out a game and stamped his authority. A Huge performance from the Juventus midfielder, it was evident to anyone with a brain that he was the central man for their entire World Cup. Andre Ayew was very good; Majeed was a fine finisher on his day and Ibrahim Opoku could work some class into the midfield. But it was Kwadwo Asamoah who they would look to for any success. 6 - 4 it ended in Turkey, the hero getting a deserved hattrick.
That was that, 6 days to go and they would be lining up again, only this time at one of the greatest sporting events on the globe. The team were on a high after their almost rugby score win; the fans were pumped for the coming spectacle. They would be going into it ranked 16th in the world, true underdogs, but if they made it out of the group stages, anything beyond would be a great achievement.

The World Cup 2022
View attachment 305105

((ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN / ELLIE GOULDING + LYRICS - YouTube))

View attachment 305106

Stepping off the plane all that greeted the Ghanaian faces full of impetuous ambition was a sensational skyline of fresh looking skyscrapers, their peaks climbing and falling like crenulations, perhaps this was the modern castle.

An ardent activist might begrudge the Arabian peninsula nation their glinting idols made of glass and steel as they built city after city with their oil and gas money; anyone else would just amaze at the small nation's man made wonders.
As the buses took them down the wide tarmac in the blistering heat, the manager seemed to be the only one struggling a little despite the practice of working in Ghana of all places for three years now, the summer weather always near killed him. His players thank goodness wern't affected one bit, the climate no different to their own, perhaps that might aid them should any small factor count at all.

Looking across from under his sweaty brow, the manager eyed the newspaper Gerrard held out before him at the front of the bus. The headline of the article spoke on the corruption of FIFA leading to the Qatar World Cup, that through their illicit deals the nation which wasn't known for football in the slightest had bagged the largest sport on the planet's biggest competition. The paper wasn't from Qatar, there was no surprise.

His eyes turned back to the front and the view beyond the vast clear windows of the city and its sculpted curves, its clean image as no dirt or foul looking object could be seen wherever you looked. Back when the tournament destination had been decided he had groaned about the outcome, yet now with a team to command at the event it wasn't for him to say how they got the competition, leave that to fans. They just had to concentrate on trying to get as far as they could.

Really that was what it was all about. Here they were, Ghana had made it to another World Cup, but these players were old, for them, this was it. 14 of the squad were over the age of 30, nearly all of their stars were pushing the end of their careers, next year if not after this final challenge.

No one gave the African teams a chance, why would they? Their players wern't the world beaters that teams like Brazil, France and Argentina had. Holland, Italy, England...there were many teams who the bookies felt had a strong chance to walk out in 3 weeks time with their hands about the trophy; Portugal or Mexico, Germany or Spain? It was either South America or Europe once again; an outside chance of anywhere else.

View attachment 305108 Arriving in Lusail, a city which existed only on paper 10 years ago, they headed out once settled to see what was on offer, armed with their drinking permits. Perhaps the true image wasn't captured in their tour, the various factions of the world all on show as they had begun to gather for the opening game of the tournament in a few days time. The manager wasn't really concerned with any of the other groups or matches, for him, it was all about their first game and getting 3 points on the board.
12th June Canada - Group C - Lusail Iconic Stadium
It was a beautiful stadium, there was no denying that. In his eyes it was no Wembley though, and lord knows what they would do with it or any of the others once the World Cup moved on. Maybe the Q-league Qatar's domestic football would be getting some incredible stadiums for their less than incredible teams.

View attachment 305114 Lining up for the national anthems, Gerrard looked to the manager as they viewed the Ghana squad all proudly stood with their hands clasped behind their backs for the anthems.
"You nervous? You look it."

"Yeah I am, we're actually at the World Cup....I've been to big Premier League games, domestic finals, Champions League finals...but the World Cup feels like its so much more."

The assistant smiled "You'll be fine after this one" and took his seat, he'd been to two as a player so at least he knew what he was talking about.

Ghana started things off, played it back and kept the ball. Passing it amongst one another they looked calm and collected, a guess would be that playing a team like Canada first really helped to keep them relaxed and ease them in.

Maybe too much. As the clock started to read higher and higher numbers, the manager looked at what they'd managed to produce. Canada were predictably sticking to a firm defence, as many players as possible behind the ball to try and block any final ball, and the black stars were struggling because of it. The Canadian fans relished their battling performance, holding off the attacks meant they were playing well in the eyes of those in the know.
View attachment 305113

They must have had over 3 quarters of the possession and a hat-full of chances, yet nothing found its way into the back of the net. Half time, they just looked like they had no urgency at all.

Sending them out with a little impetus, they appeared no different despite the motivation which had looked as if it had worked. An hour of play, nothing. Fears began to creep in that they would turn out to be the flops of this grand occassion, the team which a minnow would step over to become the fairytale.

62 minutes, Junior Hoilett thundered in hard on Andre Ayew, brutal. The players all barged over, faces were wide eyed and close, mediators were created all over the mob as both nations sought to cool the temperature and avoid incident. The referee called Hoilett to one side, those who tried to follow were forced back with a strong flick of the referee's arm.
He spoke quietly to Hoilett, the Canadian started to lift his hands to his head, the red card went up and the stands became a whirlwind of noise.

The manager was silent as his opposite number screamed ****** murder to the 4th official. The tackle had been a bad one, he'd seen them given before. Luckily Andre wasn't hurt, but he didn't want to risk his captain. Signalling, he had his brother Jordan Ayew strip off, so too did Boakye as Majeed had remained ineffective as the tip of the attack.

As the tension died down they restarted, the subs came on and play resumed. The Ghana team still couldn't find the key to the Canada defence.

Toure leant over to the manager "If we can't score against Canada, we might need to look at starting with some of the fringe players against the others..."

He nodded subtly in response. They couldn't draw with Canada surely, they'd only been to one world cup before back in 1986.

Into the last 5 minutes, Jordan Ayew cut inside from the left, a fraction of space. Lashing his foot at it, the ball weaved over the tops of the Canadian defence all preparing themselves for the worst. The keeper got up, palmed it onto the bar; out it came back beyond the defence all clustered inside the area.

Richmond Boakye took one step back, waited until the ball had just bounced, and wrapped his boot around it.
Just luck in the end had been all they needed; finding a path through the sea of red shirts which had thwarted them until now, the ball raced into the corner of the net.

1 - 0, Ghana finally managed to get their goal and get the 3 points, and the fans had something to celebrate also as Sweet Caroline ran around the African section. The manager breathed the heaviest sigh of relief, embaressment saved right at the death.

((Jimmy Eat World - The Middle - Lyrics - YouTube))

View attachment 305116
17th June Peru - Group C - Khalifa International Stadium
A quick trip back to Doha, and to the main stadium for the tournament.
Peru represented the toughest ask in the group, but he'd made sure the team knew them with their friendly. A few tactical tweaks, and he felt they'd be ready for the South Americans. Settled and having avoided the scare of the first match, the manager and the players alike felt as if they had learnt their lesson, things were good now.

A Opoku 40 minutes, A Ayew 45, Valdivia 48. 2 - 1, Ghana already qualified with their 6 points as Canada only managed a goalless draw with hosts Qatar.
22nd June Qatar - Group C - Madinat Ash-Shamal International Arena
Safe in the knowledge they were already through to the knockouts the atmosphere was buoyant. Another city and another stadium, but they didn't care about all the relocating as their chances for the game were pretty good. Qatar were without a doubt the worst team at the entire tournament, the only reason for their participation being 100% the fact that they were hosting it. Still, the fans turned out in force, eager for their final chance to have a go on the biggest stage.

View attachment 305119 The build up was like nothing the manager had witnessed before; the fans were huge throngs both inside the stadium and out of people in support of their less than special team. It was amazing that they could be such vocal supporters for such a woeful group of footballers, up against not even the best in the world with their group draw. Yet to even score a goal, it didn't dampen their voices in the minutes before kick off.

One minute in Andre Ayew's goal did.
It looked as though the game would turn out to be a thrashing, Qatar were already looking hopeless, it was just a question of how many. Yet after taking possession back soon after the restart, they passed it back to Adjei-Boateng who collected the ball only to stop and rest back on his feet.

The rest of the Ghana team looked both unimpressed and unconcerned as the centre back just paused on the ball; but in came the Qatar attackers trying to pressure. Without a clear option to his left or right, not wanting to just punt it up field, he turned about and stroked a pass back toward the keeper.

He wasn't ready, and not only that, the pass was fantastically short. Getting up from his seat the manager stiffled a cry of anger at his shocking defence, his fists clenching by his sides.
The Qatari attackers collected the ball, waited for keeper Larsen-Kwarasey to reach them before sending it sideways. With an open goal 5 minutes in, Al-Marri drove the ball into the Ghana net. Qatar had equalised almost immediately, and more than that they had scored their first ever World Cup goal. The stadium errupted as crowds all over the peninula roared with delight.

Larsen-Kwarasey threw all sorts of gestures and harsh language to the defender, just a guilty flustered face met the treatment as the man clearly wished he was now anywhere but there. Had he any options he felt more secure about the manager would have gladly indulged him.

With the wind in their sails, Qatar now made it more of a game. Sporadic chances, they got through to half time still drawing. Again it made no real difference to the scoreline as the manager prepped them with some fierce treatment to sort the mess out. Qatar gave everything they had defending as Canada had.

Goalmouth scrambles seemed to happen every 5 minutes as a ball would be whipped into the box, defenders failing to clear as Ghanaian legs carried the white shirts in to try and poke it home.

They were already through, that was what the manager had to tell himself. He made his subs to keep legs fresh and sat back down, desperate to keep his blood pressure from going through the roof.

The board went up for added time, 2 minutes, but just before the 90 hit Richard Boateng managed to get himself a fraction of space with the ball at his feet. On the turn he let a shot go, 2 - 1. At long last. Qatar restarted, now into extra time. Ghana nicked it back, Andre Ayew timed a quick run against the defence caught off guard. Over the top and he put it past the keeper. 90+1 minutes.

They restarted again, and to the surprise of everyone watching, Ghana repeated precisely the same action. Andre Ayew grabbed a hattrick, 90+2, and more importantly than that became Ghana's all time top scorer in history. Thrilled for their captain, the players all rushed over to the tune of Neil Diamond and the final whistle.
A 4 - 1 win in the end, and 9 points winners of the group.

Group A
WDLGDPts
Portugal300+49
Holland201+66
U.S.A012-51
South Africa012-51

Group B
WDLGDPts
Australia201+36
Russia201+36
Croatia201+16
DR Congo000-70

Group C
WDLGDPts
Ghana300+59
Peru201+56
Canada012-31
Qatar012-71

Group D
WDLGDPts
Germany210+57
England201+26
South Korea021-22
Argentina012-51

Group E
WDLGDPts
Spain300+139
Chile102-23
Iran102-53
Sweden102-63

Group F
WDLGDPts
Mexico210+27
France201+26
Italy11104
Columbia003-40

Group G
WDLGDPts
Belgium300+99
Tunisia20106
Norway102-23
Japan003-70

Group H
WDLGDPts
Costa Rica210+47
Brazil120+45
Ukraine111+14
Cameroon003-90
26th June England - 2nd Round - Al Wakrah Community Stadium
Ghana might well have celebrated their group success despite the glaring flaws, but the challenge that faced them the moment they were into knockout football posed a steep obstacle and perhaps a test which was too much for the West African side.

View attachment 305125 The English TV crews were flocking to get the thoughts of the usual faces whenever African football met with English. Marcel Desailly who had at one point apparently been in for the Ghana job spoke candidly; after the 1 - 5 beating England dolled out in the friendlies a month ago, and the poor standard of wins Ghana had managed so far, it seemed impossible to look beyond the three lions.

View attachment 305126 The fans didn't care what the talk was. Turning up in yet another Qatar city, they were their joyful selves, eliciting wonderful smiles from everyone they came across even if they did just take pictures like it were some staged show rather than join in.

Martin Jol had that same smug grin on his face as he shook the manager's hand. Gerrard equally felt the same distaste as he was faced with the arrogant looking features of the Dutch manager. He wasn't a bad man, just supremely confident of his chances clearly.

It was Englishmen on both sides of the confrontation once again. Beneath his stern exterior for the game the manager truthfully had wished they never would have had to face his home country. All the **** media had banged on about was his nationality, how some felt it would be betrayal to knock them out, others that he was in control of a hopeless Ghana team at this tournament.

He'd had just one important thing to say to the cameras beside the news of his team when the obligatory meeting had taken place; reporters he knew well in attendance for once, they respected that he had to get it off his chest - he knew from seeing it in the past just how fervent the English could be when it came to football, and he didn't want any death threats coming his family's way...

"My hope is coming into this tie, that whoever wins come the final whistle there is no bad blood.

He took a breath, getting the words clear in his head.

"In a perfect world the losers will go on to support the victors, because lets face it why not? I am English and if I wasn't here with Ghana I would be without doubt supporting my nation just as I grew up doing. But i'm not; I'm here with my team who have worked hard to reach this far, so we will be doing everything in our power to try and win that game. Should we do so; then perhaps the English fans will decide that this always fantastic African side managed by an Englishman will be their hopes for the rest of the Cup."

View attachment 305136 England started brightly, Adam Oxlade-Chamberlain was making a nuisance of himself with his winding runs, darting around the Ghanaians with ease. So too was Yalcin Akarsu being a headache down the opposite wing with his rocketpack on it seemed whenever he got the ball.

It was no surprise when Akarsu managed to get himself into the box clear of the defence. The goalie came out to close the angle, but the English winger simply squared it to the young striker Bateson to push home. 26 minutes gone, and the English were in voice...the **** band playing their same god awful tune. Someone teach them a new song for christ sake.As half time came and went, the manager had yet again tried to instil some fire. It didn't have a chance to work as 47 minutes on the clock Nick Powell bent one sweetly from the edge of the area. 2 - 0.

Ghana kicked off, and as they gave it to Asamoah the midfielder sized up the pitch. Apparently this time it had worked. Playing with some drive, it'd take a little luck to get the breakthrough.

View attachment 305137 Becoming more and more of a presence in the game, Kwadwo spied the run of their centre forward Majeed. At last for a change the striker timed it right, the ball skidding across the ground to slip past the white shirted centre backs. The quick forward was onto it and up against Butland alone. Out came the Brighton goalkeeper, but Majeed fortunately was in the moment. A swift side foot of the ball gave it a little swerve to take it beyond the scrambling man. 52 minutes, they wern't done yet.

Minutes later a wayward cross floated over the top from the right, sailing way beyond the back four of England. As it made its way toward the corner flag, Butland jogged out to collect it, looking up to send a pass through the air toward Phil Jones strolling back.

Alarm suddenly jolted into the English keeper. Nathanial Clyne screamed "MAN ON!" as the centre back collected it at his feet, but the turn of his head to see the danger came too late already. Kwadwo Asamoah seemingly coming out of nowhere took the ball, pushed one stride clear of Jones, and looked to the goal.
Butland was sprinting as fast as he might to get back into his net, his legs pumping he was looking all the time to the Ghana midfielder ready in case he needed to dive with everything he might have.

Asamoah wouldn't miss such a chance. He smashed the ball from the distance he was, Butland was well beaten, and into the empty goal the ball flew. An equaliser, 56 minutes.
England looked despairingly wherever they were; the players to one another, the fans to the pitch, those at home to their televisions, the manager to the events unfolding.

The Ghana boss clapped his hands powerfully as they lined back up, the noise carrying over the jubilant scenes in the stands. "Take this now lads and go with it!!"

It might have hurt for the likes of Akarsu, Clyne, Towler and Butland to have to see the manager they loved cheering on their opposition, but he didn't care. They were here to win, even against the likes of England.

View attachment 305139 The tie settled, and fearing they would lose the momentum Ghana changed things around. Fresh legs came on, and still playing as the heart of the team Kwadwo Asamoah began to see more and more of the play, getting forward to make things happen.

I Opoku on at the same time as A Opoku both charged forward at the same time as Kwadwo gathered the ball. Ibrahim galloping down the right soon was fed the ball, with it under his control he sped onwards, ignoring the tame efforts of the left back till he was at the byline.
Without looking he slammed a cross in. Butland flapped at it, too many bodies to get a proper punch it dropped into a cluster of players all fighting frantically for the ball.

Phil Jones booted it with everything he could manage, Andre Ayew took the full force of it on the chest knocking him clean off his feet. The legs stepped over him as the ball dropped to the deck. Jones kicked it again desperate to clear, it clipped Ayew down on the ground, A Opoku found his head in the path of it, and knowing little about it the ball ricocheted off his face...and into the back of the net.

The stadium roof lifted as they took the lead. The 80th minute; keen to hold on for 10 minutes the manager did all he could to calm down the players and get the play going again. England were fast from the kick off, but a fortunately skied shot out of desperation trying to immediately level the tie meant Ghana had some breathing space. Keeping it in the corner, the tackles and yellows flowed, England were staring down the barrel of another major tournament gun.

The final whistle came after a lifetime. 3 - 2, they knocked out the English.

The manager refused to celebrate in an overt manner, congratulating his players, but he never smiled throughout the joyous scenes. The press thrust microphones under his nose as he waited on the pitch with the players; he and Gerrard getting asked all manner of pointless questions. Stoney faced, they merely offered their condolences to the English and got clear as soon as they could.

Second Round Results

Portugal 1 - 0 Russia
Holland 3 - 3p Australia
Ghana 3 - 2 England
Peru 1 - 0 Germany
France 1 - 1p Spain
Mexico p2 - 2 Chile
Brazil 2 - 1 Belgium
Costa Rica 0 - 2 Tunisia​

Ghana wern't the only surprise of the round. Peru seeing off the Germans was quite the game; the scenes as Tunisia beat Costa Rica were almost as wild as the ones the Ghanaian support put on for the cameras. But without a doubt Australia's 3 all draw and penalty win against the Dutch was the pick of the bunch. What a game that was for the neutrals, and how fantastic it was for Ghana, for however well the Aussies may have played the manager would much rather face them as opposed to the Dutch.
Thrilled just to be in the Quarter Finals again after 12 years, the manager would have more of a job keeping the players relaxed and calm now rather than getting the blood pumping.

[video=youtube;rWdGjcaLILU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWdGjcaLILU[/video]

((http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfx8-c63u0Q))

1st July Australia - Quarter Finals - Sports City Stadium
They were back in Doha again, and should they progress further it was the only place they would be from now on. The last of the stadiums Qatar had to offer, they'd seen them all now, each a masterpiece.

The Quarter Final. It was the furthest stage Ghana had ever reached, the 2010 World Cup in South Africa; everyone alive remembers the heartbreak, the ridiculous drama of the Suarez handball, the missed penalty, the horrible shootout.

View attachment 305147 Facing off against Australia, they would never get a better chance of reaching the Semi Finals. The Socceroos had done brilliantly, but this was now Ghana's time.

Andre Ayew set up Majeed 52; Majeed set up Ayew 74. 2 - 0, an historic moment as Ghana became the first African side ever to reach beyond the Quarter Finals.

Quarter Final Results

Portugal 5 - 0 Peru
Australia 0 - 2 Ghana
Spain 1 - 3 Tunisia
Mexico 1 - 3 Brazil

Somehow; somehow, Tunisia had found the form of their lives to overcome a savage looking Spanish team. A comfortable victory too, the manager again despite the good form they were in would gladly play the North African side instead of the Spanish.

6th July Tunisia - Semi Final - Khalifa International Stadium

The team talk was simple beforehand. They had beaten the Tunisian's on home soil at their own tournament, they could do it here. It was time for Ghana to reach a World Cup Final.

View attachment 305161 Richard Boateng must have responded well, because he was on the top of his game. 32 minutes he seized on a failed backpass to the keeper, giving them the lead. 49 minutes he did all of the hard work, only to lay it off to Majeed to tap home the finish.

Tunisia tried to come back; Khazri surged into the box and blasted it at Larsen-Kwarasey, the gloves of the man only managing to push it straight back to the striker who fired in the second chance in the 78th minute. It made for a tense ending, and as the added time drifted away Ghana began to celebrate. Then Vandam gave away a free kick out on the right.

It would be the last kick of the game, even the goalie came up for it. Ghana held their line firm, in came the cross, lunging forward the Tunisians stole a march and with ecstatic cheers headed it home.

The linesmans flag was up. Offside. If they had waited just half a second they would have been onside. Tunisia cried to the heavens in their painful moments of anguish. The Ghanaians burst into their celebratory scenes, faces unable to hold back the overpowering sense of joy they were feeling.

2 - 1, Ghana were through.

Semi Final Results

Portugal 3 - 0 Brazil
Ghana 2 - 1 Tunisia

He had two big things to do before the all important game; the biggest game of all their careers.

Sitting before the press, the entire world press was now in attendance it felt like; not just those who were about to face the African side. More cameras than he had ever seen were facing him, more reporters were crammed into the room, dictaphones in hand as they clutched notepads ready to hang on every word spoken.

Q. "It's amazing that you've guided this Ghana side to the Final, even though the only big challenges have been Peru and England. Do you think you stand much of a chance against the Portuguese the way they are playing?"

A. "The way Australia and Tunisia were playing thats a little unfair on them, but I take your point, we could have been playing Holland then Spain...on paper much stronger challenges. Yes, we have a chance, if it were over two legs I'd be puffing out my cheeks. But lets face it, its a final, and however big the team is we face...on the night my boys are capable of producing something special."

Q. "Of course you're going to back your boys to an extent, but Portugal beat the reigning champions 3 goals to nil. Do you seriously think you can beat them? Especially with the defensive frailties that have been on display already by Ghana."

A. "This may sound a little silly, it may sound a little cheesy, I don't really care. Do any of you know what Ghana means?" He waited only a second, the rhetorical question was open to far too large a room to leave it for long.

"Ghana means Warrior King. I've seen the passion the people display, the fierce commitment and willingness to dig in when it matters most from my team. Wherever we go people smile, they laugh and dance with the party the Ghanaian people take with them always. And yet most of all, everywhere we go, we beat the teams we're up against when it matters most.

"We're the Champions of Africa everyone. Come tomorrow, don't write off the underdogs, I've been there before, they've been there before. I'll tell you how that usually turns out one day if you can't figure it out yourselves."

The night arrived. Gathering his players before they entered the stadium and all the frenzy it entailed, he sat them down. Unlike before, this time he had their attention right from the off, every face looking to him expectantly, full of admiration and excitement.

"You're going to need to get yourselves ready, so i'll keep this brief. Every one of you, those who might feel they've played their best football ever, those who might feel they've let down the side once or twice. All of you have made me proud, if it wasn't for every single one of you...we wouldn't be here. Win or lose, I'm bursting with pride over what you've acomplished.

"But when you step out onto that pitch tonight, know that those 90 minutes will be it, the end. Asamoah, you're 33. Larsen-Kwarasey, you're 34. Both you Ayew's are over 30, in fact so many of you are that you must all realise that this really is it.

"Whether you play for your clubs again or not makes no difference....this is your one and only shot at the greatest prize in football, and not only can you claim that for yourselves, not only can you claim that for the fantastic nation of Ghana; you can all win it for the whole of Africa, and go down in history as the first African side ever to win the World Cup.

"Now go get yourselves set, we'll be back in the dressing room in an hour!" He gave them a broad clap, something he was getting used to doing. The coaches ushered them up and out, nervous smiles on every one of the faces, the whole squad were eerily quiet.

((Advent Children - Divinity I [HQ] - YouTube))

10th July Portugal - Final - Khalifa International Stadium

View attachment 305173 The teams stepped out, commentators building the tension for their millions watching. The national anthems soaring across the hundreds of millions of screens all over the globe, pictures of the immensely proud players clutching at their hearts, looking to the sky, singing as loud as they might dare.

The Portuguese coach looked over after singing his own national anthem to see the Ghana boss silently watch his team for their own, almost as if he were proving a point. Vitor Pereira, Porto's former coach had made the jump to International football also. Their duels it seemed had one more important game to go.
Their regulars alongwith the new flock of adopted Ghanaians for the night awaited the piercing shrill of the whistle; Svein Oddvar oversaw the handshake, Majeed and Andre Ayew looked to one another at the centre spot, and they were away.

Portugal immediately switched into a tempo Ghana wern't ready for, their players once in possession passing one another the ball so quickly even if under no pressure. The play moved rapidly up toward the Ghana box, and as their players dropped back to try and plug the gaps, Portugal pushed their manoeuvre through, the striker left the defence for dust, Kwarasey able to get a hand and deflect it onto the post and out.

Ghana cleared the corner, Majeed collecting it and with the defenders bearing down on him let go of a shot some distance out. The keeper dove low to his side, fingertips getting it to roll beyond the frame of the goal, a spectacular save.

10 minutes in and the game was already thrilling, both teams were pressing, the football was fast and full of events. The Ghana defence had picked up a couple of yellow cards trying to put a stop to the frantic footwork of the Portuguese attackers, that would be ok so long as they learnt and eased up a touch.

The right back Vandam was getting run at repeatedly, it seemed Pereira had decided on the specific weakness in the defence they would exploit.

Staring up to the vast screen, the clock ticked past 20, and just as they all felt the game might slow down after its busy start, Vandam was fooled into lunging in.

Hands climbed to mouths instinctively as everyone not Portuguese or with their life savings bet on the favourites knew that the worst was about to happen for Ghana.
Vandam looked as if he was ready to get on his knees, hands clasped as he prayed with the referee, his feet shuffling backwards as if escape would recind what was unfolding.

View attachment 305190 Out came the red card. Vandam was surrounded by his teammates, inside they must have been fuming, but a mixture of comforting and directing sent him on his way holding his emotions in check. Toure collected him at the sideline, walking him down the tunnel.

Now no-one could believe in anything but a Portugal win. 10 men and 70 minutes to play...

Majeed saw the substitute board go up with his number, off he came for Akamino. Now Ghana had no forward on, three centre midfielders, Quansah down the right and Andre down the left. It was time to dig the trenches.

Needing no order, Portugal launched themselves with all men available at the Ghanaian defence. Through they pushed the ball, zig-zagging between the Africans as they geared up for another strike. The ball floated into the box, not the idea Pereira had in mind clearly as he began shouting. Mensah got his head to it and cleared the lines.

Kwadwo Asamoah stormed from their area, his eyes only for the ball he beat the defender to it, quickly looking up he saw Quansah was on his way down the right unmarked. Out it went, and seizing the initiative Kwadwo got on his bike and went for it himself.

Quansah was away, Portugal chasing with everything they had they had been caught out with all bodies committed. The left back began to close, Quansah may be a winger but he wasn't the sprinter the manager was used to playing on his wings, yet on went the Ghanaian man, pushing everything he had into trying to bust forward.
The defender caught him, an arm came out to protect the ball, and fearing he would screw the whole attack he crashed his foot against the ball goalward.

Asamoah despaired as he still powered on with his lungbuster run, but as the Portuguese keeper realised it was heading towards his goal and not across the pitch he flung himself back to his high corner. The gloves squeezed it onto the angle, down it bounced as the keeper fell to the floor, Kwadwo now a pace ahead of his pursuers pounced to the free ball, the gaping net, the screaming fans behind willing him on every second he was closing in on it.

The net could have ripped open the way he thundered it home. Arms held out, he turned to see his team all lit up with astonishment and wonder. The 10 man side had the lead!Pereira looked fit to burst, almost jumping with his rage as his arms waved about like unskilled weapons. His players knew they were being made to look like fools.

((Advent Children - Divinity II [HQ] - YouTube))

Ghana dropped back, Asamoah marshalled them, Mensah got the line rigid, and **** for leather they defended as if their lives depended on it.

Before anyone knew it, 45 minutes had elapsed, and commentators the world over were struggling on how to put the half into words. Re-emerging, the nerves looked like they might have crept in, half way to the World Cup against all odds. Yet still they fought tooth and nail, they wouldn't be denied.

65 minutes, the manager looked to his bench. Quansah was utterly exhausted, the way he was running an injured player would move more easily. A Opoku warmed up and replaced the temporary hero, the accident shot the assist they already loved.

Opoku looked fresh, but the moment he was stood there staring around at the crowds he didn't look ready.

Portugal saw the look of the man, they knew he would be susceptible. 71 minutes, Kovalev went one on one with the substitute at the edge of the area. His legs looked like jelly, wrong footing the man he opened up the space to curl a breathtaking shot into the far corner.

The red and green burst into rapture, the talk became that Ghana had done themselves proud but now this was it. They didn't ease up, kick off, and on they came again.
View attachment 305193

Looking to the clock again as the mediterranean side pushed up further still. The last 10 minutes, then the last 5. Portugal were coming so close but they wern't getting that crucial goal. He wasn't sure if it was in his own head or if he was whispering the words to himself, it just repeated over and over.......come on come on come on come on come on....

The ball looped up toward the Portuguese half, Ghana got out of their area and pressed higher up the field. Feeling confident of their chances still despite the time they passed it between the back four, keeping it well away from the Ghanaians, waiting, looking to pick their spot before launching again.

It went to the centre back, he turned to look out to the side. There was that call again, only it sounded different. Kwadwo Asamoah sprinting from nowhere sprung himself upon the defender, wresting the ball from his control. The ball was loose, bouncing toward the area, the keeper came charging out as the last line. Asamoah knew this was their final chance surely; busting himself to get there before the onrushing goalkeeper.

The stadium held its breath, both arrived at the same time. Asamoah's foot got the touch, and as their bodies clattered together falling seperate ways, the ball gently hopped its way over the line.

The shirt was off, the stands were uncontrollable. 86th minute, that had to be it.

Portugal kicked off, and as Ghana got the ball into the corner with some swift defending, all of the Portugese side were pouring towards the ball wherever it might be. Now the clock wasn't moving at all, 4 minutes, 3 minutes. Portugal were just hounding every Ghanaian who got the ball, whenever overwhelmed they kicked it up the pitch to the lone Goalkeeper stood on the halfway line, out for a throw, anything!

2 minutes.......1 minute......it was 90 minutes....come on come on come on come on!!

Portugal had one last go at it, the desperation so dominating on all their faces, their nation clutching at collars.
A long shot, it rocketed at Larsen-Kwarasey, he should be catching it no problem and then it'd be over.

He spilled it. Alexandre slid in before all Ghanaian defenders. 2 - 2. The referee blew his whistle for the end of normal time.

They huddled with the manager, Gerrard and Toure all looking to the shattered 10 players. What words were there for such an occassion? Tell them they were heroes for what they'd done and that was enough? There would be time for that should they go out later, whilst there was still time, there was still a chance however slim. They'd made it this far.

The physios did their work, woke legs back up, they refueled as best able and got back out there. 30 minutes more, he didn't know if his heart could take it.

Again the mediterranean side came at them like a battering ram, footwork dancing it past the front line but sheer numbers insisted on keeping out the attacks. **** they couldn't leave it to their keeper again, his nerves were completely shot, they'd be lucky if he held out for the penalty shoot-out should they hold out.

Half time in extra time, my god they were so close to their best shot at winning.

Still with some energy left, A Opoku found himself with the ball and some space down the right again. With nothing else for it realising he could give the rest a breather he opened up the throttle and sped off down the wing. No challenge came as he passed the halfway line, the defenders all rushing back before they could get across, he ploughed on. Looking up, all that was left were the two defenders able to get to the area before him. Across they came, he cut inside, ready to hold it up for his support.

The man came bouldering into him, no love lost he simply put his shoulder through Opoku, the Ghanaian winger sent flying with his arms out. Every Portuguese face stared with horror, a free kick outside the area....how could he give them such a chance even if it was a small one.

Fearing a counter, the manager let Andre Ayew and Kwadwo Asamoah go forward with A Opoku, both their jobs to distrupt the wall and seize upon anything which came back out. Everyone else dropped to their haunches to suck in all the air they could.

Cameras flashed wildly, Opoku stood over it gathering himself, exhausted, totally spent after his flight.

The whistle blew, he ran up, battered the ball with everything he had left. It screamed beyond the wall, beyond the pack fighting over position. The goalkeeper rose into the air with his glove outstretched, hoping he had enough to get something on it, anything on it. It kissed the post, and found its way through the gap as the keeper angled high - into the back of the net.

The captain tore after the kick taker roaring his delight. The fans went beserk, the commentators lost their voices, the bench were out of their seats almost racing across the pitch themselves.

109 minutes. Portugal looked as if they had nothing left to give, no more energy to throw at the Ghanaian defence anymore. They tried, for 11 more minutes they tried, but as that final whistle came even they couldn't begrudge the scenes as almost every person witnessing the event howled their amazement for what they had seen.

((Mortal Kombat OST- Halcyon+On+On - YouTube))

He couldn't speak, he couldn't hear a thing as the roaring crowds sounded silent to his ears. Players found the energy to sprint maniacally around the stadium, no-one able to close their mouths as they raced uncontrollably. He looked to his side, the Portguese coaches consoling the players limping home to them. Suddenly his view jolted, Gerrard, all the subs, everyone was upon him, shaking him, screaming ectasy in his ears. Wide eyes, he looked at them all, silent.

View attachment 305196
The players belted over, he saw as Ayew mouth something to him.

Boss!!!!

He blinked hard.

"BOSS!!!!!" The captain cried. Every white shirt had ahold of him, he knew this routine. Up into the air he went, every set of hands propelling him up again and again.

They set him down, groups dancing, staff jumping. Hearing the stands with their music and cheer he finally let go of a grin he felt go up to his ears.

Preparing themselves for the moment they would treasure for generations, every player, staff member, and the manager all piled in about Ayew as he held himself in suspense for the moment. With the fireworks on cue, the golden cup climbed above their heads.

View attachment 305201

View attachment 305199 View attachment 305200

What a world cup it'd been. 2022, the first time ever an African team lifted the greatest trophy in the world.
So many teams had provided exceptional entertainment, nations who were thought to be merely stepping stones proved their worth to the world and upset all the odds to go beyond their own expectations. Qatar whether they had bought the competition or not had delivered. Suddenly everyone knew of the peninsula, everyone knew just what Qatar was capable of.

View attachment 305202 View attachment 305203 View attachment 305204
View attachment 305205 View attachment 305206 View attachment 305207
View attachment 305208 View attachment 305209 View attachment 305210
View attachment 305212 View attachment 305216 View attachment 305217

They went home, to what looked like all of Ghana as they were cheered wherever they went. The nation held a parade they would likely never see the numbers for ever again.

When the celebrations died down, Andre Ayew announced he was giving up his captaincy; several were retiring from international football. And the manager decided that once again, it was time for him to move on. 3 awe inspiring years, heights he had only dreamed of. He went with thanks, and the message he was always welcome in the Western African nation of Ghana. Gerrard and Toure joined their boss, maybe this time they'd actually take a break from the game instead of rushing headlong into another insurmountable challenge.

Last edited:
WTF Slimchap, Post the Update mate just post it up now, i cant wait..............awesome continuation to A Fantastic Managerial Career u've had

Haha sorry, my computer really was having a fit of some description.

Right, thats it! The Ghana story is over. This time I am going to give it some time before I even consider doing another story, it was only because of the moment of inspiration to do Ghana that I decided to go ahead with it. Now I have a dissertation to work on for the summer, and an exam to revise for tomorrow morning. Lol.

I feel quite keenly that I should point something out in this story before anyone goes saying that I am one of the best at this game or anything to a similar tune (for this achievement that is, feel free to for my Brighton years ;D).

I have had problems with crashes in the past, I save before and after every match as a result of learning from these bad crashes; and from them I've lost out on some wonderful results previously.

In this tournament, England the first time of trying did in fact beat me, on penalties after a 1 - 1 draw.

I was happy with that result, going out to England on pens was nothing to be ashamed of with this Ghanaian team. However, it crashed. I replayed the game, and England then beat me with same tactics and people 8 - 0.
Having made it all the way to penalties, I didn't want my game to record us exiting the tournament in such a horrendous fashion, it felt unkind after achieving penalities and something to feel good about.

I replayed it again, except this time, same tactics, same players, we beat them as written in the story. I'd lost out on results in the past as I mentioned, some quite important, so I decided why not press on and see just how far this side could go should the result stand.

Everything else beyond that game was as it happened properly, though the Qatar result before England had also crashed a few times, I decided instead of 9 - 0, 6 - 0 or 8 - 0 to go with the 4 - 1 that played out since I felt it told the best story of the 4 times I had to play the **** fixture, giving Qatar something to cheer about :)

The Portugal game the same as the others happened just as written, blow for blow. So whilst I'll be the first to recognise that any magic for that world cup win is spoilt a little by this admission, the Final does give me a smile that somehow with 10 men they overcame one of the strongest sides in the competition in Portugal. I felt, with the victory there, it told a much more beautiful story that an African team FINALLY got what they deserved and went all the way. I hope no one who has read through this story feels betrayed or cheated in any way.

The same as before, thank-you kindly to anyone who has kept with it through the devilishly long posts, I really do appriciate anyone who reads through and gets something out of it, and the best of luck with your own managerial stories! :D

Epic just read all of this. Brilliant read keep it up.

UnFucking Believable Acheievement Mate, yes that sometime happens wid me as well, i too wouldnt have accepted the 8-0 loss if it would have happened wid me as well, its all ok............
great story and let me know wen u start next

Would be truly special for us to live through this in real life. Congratulations, and brilliantly told. You've inspired me to take control of the nation of my roots too, and see them soar. Black Stars of Africa.