LChelsea

Reaction score
Football Manager is by far the best game i have ever played, but since the new game as been released, i've really struggled to get into it...unlike FM12 which i could play non-stop.

This isn't another one those hate threads on the latest game dont worry, in my opinion i think the game has improved this year round, but for some reason i can't seem to find the motivation to play it. (If that makes any sense lol)

Its not like ive been on it for soo long that ive drained the fun out of the game or anything. Since it was released, i have only played 2 saves...The first as Wigan (1 season) and the other with Wolfsburg (2 seasons).

Its weird as i always want to play the game, but the second i load it all up, and start to think of a team to be...I find myself turning the thing off before i've even started aha.

So basically my question's to you are....

1) How do you motivate yourself to play the game?
2) Any ideas in how to make it that more interesting?
3) Any teams or challenges you could recommend?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I've found it the same I installed the new Football Manager and played half a season then just stopped playing it.

Normally I play top clubs (Barca, Inter, Munich, Liverpool) as i'm abit of a spender and like to stamp my authority early.

In this game I have found getting promoted and establishing your team a lot more fun, as its not who has the best players wins, but more; who's put in the most effort, played the mind games, and built tactics that counter the opponents. its sort of like building a dynasty not taking over one.

My most recent save is Chester and I'm now 13 seasons in and i'm now in the championship, at a push might get a playoff place.

The other I found interesting is playing that Harry Redknapp role and working your way up the leagues (no loyalty) better job comes around if its right... take it.

I started at forest on that one, now manager of Liverpool, 5 seasons later with Birmingham in between ( they got promoted first year and I lost in the playoff final) My plan is secure a club abroad and test my skills in a different league.

I suppose my point is, this game is different, deeper you might say, so play different.

Last edited:
When I start a career game, I always setup a plan for it. Here is one example for my plan in my current Nott Forest game.

STEP ONE

Gaining promotion to the Premier League. Being able to get 3 points rather than drawing too many games even if that means seeing results as 4-2, 4-3, 3-2 etc.

STEP TWO’

Strengthening of the team to avoid the relegation battle, having players that are able to defend in all areas of the pitch. Building from the back

STEP 3

Strengthening of the team to become a stable middle team, being able to use an approach that whilst defending well should also be able to punish teams playing attacking against us. Every prospect signed should be able to participate in Step 5

STEP 4

Strengthening of the team to fight for a place in Europe, developing players for Step 5, being prepared to play be able to play both attacking as well as being able to grind out results

STEP 5

Challenge for the Title, being prepared for playing a more fluid and attacking approach

This is basically like TBH's post but I just think about where I will be in 3-4 seasons, and how successful i will/may become. Seems to work for me, I'm currently in 2018 with Cardiff, I've won the Europa League, The Premier League, and I'm in the quarter finals of the CL this season.

I've been struggling to find the motivation aswell to play FM13. I don't know if it is because my save on 12 where I took F.C Andorra from the 7th tier of Spanish football to La Liga and I want to replicate it but not start from the bottom again. Also my laptop is pretty old and the game runs quite **** on it, witch is quite a put off.

I just want to return my beloved Glasgow Celtic back to the pinnacle of European football. That's what keeps me going.

ive been like this for a couple of weeks now, dont think ive got by january, but i have had a look and wanted to start as a club with not much of a reputation and try and make them one of the best in the league then moving on to make them the best in the world so thats why i have tho Vitesse in the dutch league as they have a growing reputation

Sunday League Experience, unemployed, load all English leagues and see how long it takes you to win the Premiership.

Always an interesting challenge as you have to decide whether you want to take one team from non-league to the top, or improve your credentials and get bigger jobs (For example, I went from Stalybridge to Lincoln and now at Gillingham doing well in League 2 - 4 seasons in).

get a regenerated player through your youth team, give him a nickname, train him to become semi decent/great player, watch your love for him grow when he scores any goal and be proud that you made him do that :)