We got ourselves a Belgian fellas...

WouterVW

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new on this particular forum but I have been registered on a few other FM forums. Because of my studies I'm not the most active member of any forum, but I've been coming on here occasionally and I finally signed up today. Admittedly, the main reason behind my registration was to ask for a player screenshot on FM13, but I'm sure to pop up in the forums here and there. Perhaps when life calms down a bit I'll become more active, who knows.

So yeah, about me. I'm a 21 year old Belgian. I used to play some football myself but a bad leg injury has pretty much put me out of it permanently, so I'm not at a club anymore. On the global scale I'm a Barcelona enthusiast and on the local scale I support Beerschot AC, although I'm not that fanatic. I feel a lot of sympathy for other teams as well and generally I'm just a fan of good, neat, positive football.
Since a future on the pitch wasn't to be for me, I'm considering perhaps going for a role by the sideline, as a coach and hopefully eventually as a manager. But I've got time for that in the future. Right now, I'm studying - hold on to your keyboards - Physics at the University of Antwerp. So I'm focussing on that first. But you can see the appeal of the FM games to me.

I first got in touch with the Football Manager series in 2008 I think... Or 2009. Anyway, I tried the demo of that year's release but wasn't really sold. I think mostly the graphics engine disappointed me, which was a little short-sighted when I look back at it. So I didn't get the full game. However, in 2011 I borrowed my friend's FM10 version ("I'llgive it a second chance, I'm sick of FIFA Manager 2010 anyway") and I got hooked. Honestly, I was pretty rubbish the first season, but I eventually got the hang of it and in the second season I got promoted from the Belgian Third Division B to the Second Division with a team that were predicted to finish mid-table. So I was pretty chuffed. Halfway through the third season we were defying all odds in the Second Division: with some great tactical planning and execution from the players we were in the top 5. By that time I'd also seen some Let's Play FM11 video's on YouTube and then FM12 came out. I was so excited about how things were going on FM10, about the Let's Play videos and about the look of the new release that it was an insta-buy. And there's only one thing I regret about that: my social life and education were hanging in the balance at times and it's been a real test of will-power to stay away from the game long enough to study for my exams and to get my two theses finished. But it's just such a great game! So yeah, I'm a fan and I will be buying FM13. It looks good and let's face it: FM12 is starting to feel old and outdated :)

So, I've wasted more than enough of your time already. If you read through all of that, I'm deeply sorry to have stretched this out so much and I'm very impressed and flattered that you stuck with me. I can't promise any of my future comments on here will be much shorter, because I think short message can be powerful but never nuanced and well-argued, which is exactly what I'm like. But I'm hoping to have a good time here, learn things, perhaps meet a few kindred spirits and be as involved as time allows me to be, which is the same thing I tell the press every time I sign for a new club :p

Cheers,
Wouter

Welcome to site mate.

And on behalf of Everton FC.....thankyou for Fellaini :wub:

Thanks guys.

And @ajt09, on behalf of the entire country: you're very welcome, we're quite pleased with that one ourselves actually :D

Ah, a Belgian. Enjoy winning the World Cup in 2014, 2018 latest.

That's right, I'm calling it.

Oh dear, imagine that :p I remember watching the national team in the 2002 World Cup (with current manager Marc Wilmots as captain) in the classroom. What a feeling that was. It's about time we qualified for a major tournament again. I'll be happy as Larry if we do that and I don't know what I'd do if we should win :D But there's a long way to go ahead. It's looking good at the moment, but we could still even fail to qualify, and God knows the Spanish are good. And the Germans. And the English. And the Brazilians will want to impress. The big test against the real top teams is yet to come (although we did perform very well against Holland), but thanks for the vote of confidence though :)

and the english, your funny

I'm not saying they're gonna win the World Cup, but they could win against any team if they wanted to, yes. Don't say there's no quality there... And I thought they did quite well in the Euros. After all they went out early, but on penalties and against the eventual runners-up. It's just that a lot is expected of England, just because it's England. Though I do agree there seems to be a bit of a curse on them when it comes to advancing to the latest stages of major tournaments. So as I said: they might not be World Champions, but they'll be a tough ask for any national team.

welcome to the site mate ;) you seem like a really good genuine guy and glad to have you on our forum :)

I agree with Belgian winning a major tournament within the next several years.. might bet on it as well...

I called Greece winning Euro 2004 which everyone ridiculed me prior to the tournament, but I won a bit of cash from mates.

enjoy your stay bud

English have a good team imo and as wouter said they will be a tough oppoment to anyone. Same for the belgs they got enough quality to give a hard time if not win most matches. At least with european national teams.

i dont think its a later stage curse for england more like they ride they're luck that far, sure there is some quality players in the team but all of them lack technical ability and panic when they get closed down and miss passes, only gerard seems capable of passing in a tight situation.

Thanks guys, glad to be here as well :)

@InValide jr: perhaps you're right about the technical ability, but there's more to football than that (despite of what the Spanish might have you believe :p). In fact, that used to be our salvation. In 2002 we didn't have a particularly gifted generation when it came to technical ability, but the players were a team and fought like lions. That nearly led us to victory against the Brazilians, if it hadn't been for the referee... But I digress on a faulty analogy :)
Gerrard is indeed the England maestro, he was very impressive during EURO 2012. And maybe the passing under pressure is a problem, but I'd have to watch the England games more closely to be able to fairly judge that. I do stand by my statement though: England will be tough opposition for any team.

I think Greece could be a good example of what Wouter says since if i remember well from 2004 we didnt had anything in particular other than solid defence,players that knew each other well and fought in every match.

Ah, top class.

How do the Belgians make such good food? It's like French food, just without all the pompousness and actually cooked rather than just wafted over a candle for a few seconds.

Welcome, also.

Welcome to the Forum mate.
Also expect belgium to do well over the next decade. Surely a good world cup campaign is in order.

Enjoy the forum and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

The food thing is because of our love for it I reckon. We absolutely love food and therefore treat and prepare it the way it should be treated and prepared. And don't get me started on the French... :p

And we're all hoping for a good WC campaign. Marc Wilmots is already a legend, he'd probably become a god if he leads us to WC glory... :)