Wee bit of help with Championship midfield...

Gazmondo

Reaction score
Hi, having abit of a stumble on how I should play my midfield with my Championship team Sheff Weds.

My wingers are Danny Rose & David Hoillet, both fast and pacy with good dribbling attributes. My central midfielders are Riise and Cairney, currently I have Cairney in DMC and Riise in CM as a playmaker, though I can't help but feel Cairney's potential is somewhat unused playing as a DMC. My strikers are Griffiths (Poacher) and Morrison, if it helps.

Cheers.

Hi, having abit of a stumble on how I should play my midfield with my Championship team Sheff Weds.

My wingers are Danny Rose & David Hoillet, both fast and pacy with good dribbling attributes. My central midfielders are Riise and Cairney, currently I have Cairney in DMC and Riise in CM as a playmaker, though I can't help but feel Cairney's potential is somewhat unused playing as a DMC. My strikers are Griffiths (Poacher) and Morrison, if it helps.

Cheers.

I used to play 1DMC and 1CM but found that the midfield got exposed due to only having one man in the centre and the gap between the CM and DM is easily exploited. I'm currently playing with Middlesbrough, keeping it very simple and i'm doing very well at the moment. Playing a flat 4-4-2 with wingers set to attack and both cm's set to central midfielder - support. Nothing too fancy, and its getting the job done at the moment.

What are your results like? Because if you're getting decent results but Cairney isn't performing well then i'd consider simply replacing him for another DMC, he also isn't a natural DM so make sure you are re-training him to that position if you're insistent on playing him there, and set his training focus areas to the key DMC stats such as Positioning, Team Work, Work Rate, Strength etc...

Hope that can be of help to you!

I haven't been retraining him no, didn't think of that actually! His average rating is 6.9 so not the best. I'll give it a shot playing the flat 4 across midfield though I've always been keen on having a playmaker to help thread the balls through, especially when I've got a poacher like Griffiths up front. Cairney's stats also favour him as an advanced attacking playmaker rather than a central support midfielder, who do you currently have in your midfield pairing?

I haven't been retraining him no, didn't think of that actually! His average rating is 6.9 so not the best. I'll give it a shot playing the flat 4 across midfield though I've always been keen on having a playmaker to help thread the balls through, especially when I've got a poacher like Griffiths up front. Cairney's stats also favour him as an advanced attacking playmaker rather than a central support midfielder, who do you currently have in your midfield pairing?

Yeah I'd definitely consider doing one of the following: re-train him, replace him or play the flat 4-4-2. His stats do suggest he would be a good play maker, but he has good work rate stats and other ones which are crucial for a CM so I prefer to play simply Central Midfielder - Support in the Championship and keep it simple.

This is my current team and midfield 4:

View attachment 120796

My main CM which is Thomson has 5 assists and 2 goals in 11 games, and I rotate O'Neill with Barry Robson and they both have 2 assists each so even with a supporting role they still create chances.

I'll upload my complete tactic for you if you would like to try it?

I'll retrain him for future use and play the flat 4 across midfield, see how it pans out. I've got a few players I could rotate but they are slow and aged, and they will be getting released come the end of the season.

I've pretty much got my own tactic all sorted out but if you wouldn't mind popping yours up aswell, I'll have a gander at it and see if it would help too!

Thanks timmsy123!

I'll retrain him for future use and play the flat 4 across midfield, see how it pans out. I've got a few players I could rotate but they are slow and aged, and they will be getting released come the end of the season.

I've pretty much got my own tactic all sorted out but if you wouldn't mind popping yours up aswell, I'll have a gander at it and see if it would help too!

Thanks timmsy123!

Whereabouts in the season and what season are you in? Whats your transfer budget? Could maybe suggest some decent CM/DM's for you to buy for a championship side...?

Here's the tactic i've been using:

View attachment 120803

Make sure you save it in the tactics folder which is in Sports Interactive > FM11.

Make sure you put as one of your tactic's under match preparation if you're using it as well.

2nd season with Sheff Wed. Just bought Jay DeMert to bulk up my defence, and invested in James McArthur from Wigan so should be good for now, just need a striker if you can think of any to partner Griffiths?

I'll import the tactic bau and set the match preperation so they are used to it before putting it into practice

2nd season with Sheff Wed. Just bought Jay DeMert to bulk up my defence, and invested in James McArthur from Wigan so should be good for now, just need a striker if you can think of any to partner Griffiths?

I'll import the tactic bau and set the match preperation so they are used to it before putting it into practice

Ok man sounds good! You really could do with a Target Man to play alongside him, whats your budget?