Wenger fears Rovers 'rugby' match

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 2K
Read Calum's link ffs. What is football about Samba stepping on Almunias toes, and standing in front of him, with no attempt to play the ball to prevent him catching it? Of course Stoke's disallowed goal was different wasn't it Tottenham fans? If your keeper gets pushed, and 'Arry complains, it's fair play, if Wenger complains, he's being a *****. (Y)

Oh, the Wenger battering has stopped :) For now.

Last edited:
"I believe everybody looks at his squad and tries to find a way where the game is most efficient," he said.

"We developed one way but it is not the only way, I respect every other way as long as the referees get the rules respected.

"I saw some pictures last Sunday; you cannot say anymore it is football, it is rugby on the goalkeepers more than football. The referees cannot go on and accept that. When you see how Shawcross kicked Gomes and how Huth pushed Gomes in the goal [during Tottenham's trip to Stoke].

I don't see any problem with that, I agree with everything he said.
People tend to read the title then jump on the hate bandwagon.

Wow, how predictable that people would make pre-judgements based solely on the title of the thread.

Have you even read the link Sam, or what JDY posted? Or are you jumping to conclusions based on the title?

I have now, but he said something similar last year.

Yup. When they did the same thing. Stepping on Almunia's toes, and fouling him. Samba clearly fouled Almunia at Ewood Park last year, he makes no attempt to play the ball, and in the end, Almunia (who in fairness is **** anyway) can only punch it against the back of his head..

Dear morons, read the article next time! The BBC lies.

Dear morons, read the article next time! The BBC lies.
can only echo what andy says. contrary to popular opinion the bbc is really not what it used to be. they might as well be a ragtop.

Are you talking about the goal at Ewood Park when Sol Campbell prevented Lukas Fabianski from getting the ball, allowing Samba to score?

In all fairness, Arsene has a go at Blackburn every year -- without fail. He even had a go in Hughes second season when they actually knocked the ball about a bit and weren't the lumpers that they were in his first season.

he will have a go this year too.

I'm anticipating his post match interview. Hopefully Blackburn roughen them up a bit to provoke a reaction :)

after reading the true link it made me think
" What the **** was the BBC talking about"

what wenger said:
Arsène Wenger doesn't have a problem with teams playing different styles to Arsenal - as long as the laws are respected.

Ahead of Saturday's trip to tough-tackling Blackburn Rovers, the Frenchman explained that he believes it is right for teams to play to their strengths - but says referees need to ensure football's laws are adhered to.

"I believe everybody looks at his squad and tries to find a way where the game is most efficient," he said.

"We developed one way but it is not the only way, I respect every other way as long as the referees get the rules respected.

"I saw some pictures last Sunday; you cannot say anymore it is football, it is rugby on the goalkeepers more than football. The referees cannot go on and accept that. When you see how Shawcross kicked Gomes and how Huth pushed Gomes in the goal [during Tottenham's trip to Stoke].

"You cannot say that is football anymore.

"If the referees allow that you cannot accept that because that has nothing to do with the game. Apart from that, when a team plays long ball and heads the ball and becomes physical I accept that completely and I respect that.

"But it has to be in respect of the rules, that is all."

"I believe that in some situations the goalkeepers are not protected. You cannot have players whose main role is to stop the goalkeepers from catching the ball and not even go for the ball."

what the bbc wrote:
Arsene Wenger said football must be prevented from becoming like "rugby" ahead of Saturday's possible physical battle between Arsenal and Blackburn.

The Gunners boss criticised Rovers for "no purpose to play the ball" as they blocked keeper Lukasz Fabianski during last May's loss at Ewood Park.
"I saw pictures last Sunday - you can't say any more it is football, it is rugby on the goalkeepers," said Wenger.

"The referees cannot go on and accept that anymore."
He added: "When you see how Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross kicked Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes, how Robert Huth pushed Gomes in the goal, you cannot say that is football any more.

"If the referees allow that you cannot accept that because that has nothing to do with the game.
"Apart from that, when a team play long ball and head the ball and become physical I accept that completely and I respect that - but it has to be in respect of the rules, that is all."

Chris Foy will be the man in the middle for Saturday's televised lunchtime encounter and Wenger believes he will be need pay close attention to the treatment of his keeper.
"I believe that in some situations the goalkeepers are not protected," the Arsenal manager said.
"You cannot have players whose main role is to stop the goalkeepers from catching the ball and not even go for the ball."

why go off topic and spam to get a reaction from the Arsenal Fans (A)oO)

Sorry if it was spamming bud, I had no intention to do that ! I only thought it was funny, as the title says ! wenger needs to man up, if that is the way Blackburn plays he has to find a way to go around it ..

I dont think Wenger can complain that some teams styles of football, yes stoke and blackburn do score occasionally for fouling the keeper which is against football's laws but so is players diving which wenger's players sometimes like to do which also leads to goals, imo wenger should look at his own teams tactics which are against footballs laws and then complain about other teams breaking footballs.

I dont think Wenger can complain that some teams styles of football, yes stoke and blackburn do score occasionally for fouling the keeper which is against football's laws but so is players diving which wenger's players sometimes like to do which also leads to goals, imo wenger should look at his own teams tactics which are against footballs laws and then complain about other teams breaking footballs.
he didnt complain though, the bbc just edited what he said that way

Back