• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Arsene Wenger insists failure to win a trophy for a sixth successive season would not be a 'disaster' for Arsenal.

More...

"It's only in this country that we have to face what we face. If you go anywhere else in the world Arsenal are given much more credit, I can tell you."

It is true.

And after reading this article, my respect for the frenchman has gone up loads!

I dont like Arsenal, but I agree, look at Italy when they drew there first World cup game, they wont slatted like England was for drawing against USA!

Shows a difference in cultures, football is taken to personally and seriously in England! Fans and the media do need to notice this is a game!

Great quotes from Wenger. What a shame people only measure them by trophies...if you take into consideration their budget over the last 7 years they've been as successful as anyone in England. So what if they don't take the CCs and FA Cups? And they compete in the Champions League, and if it wasn't for having to go against a team like Barca in the final they would have been the first London club to have won one. They're always in the top 4 and they're very close to a title. Before the season I thought they'd do it this year but when they lost Vermaelen I think that ended their chances. They're definitely a big contender for it next year though and I think they'll take it if their healthy...they will only be a better team next season since they're only getting more experienced, while ManU and Chelsea have a lot of veterans they need to think about replacing.

Their only issue is the psychological hurdle about the trophies. That's why losing the CC was such a huge blow for them...not that it really mattered that much for the prestige of the club, but it only kept the haters hating and contributed to the self-doubt that keeps them from getting that trophy. That's why ManU won the league this year and Arsenal didn't: ManU are winners, they are confident and they always know they're going to win. Arsenal clearly doesn't have that mentality. They'll drop 4 goal leads while ManU can turn two goal deficits into 3 points almost instantly. ManU can grind out results, especially by last minutes goals, while Arsenal just isn't that type of team. They'll play Prem teams off the pitch but will only get the draw.

It wouldn't be a disaster, no, but it is something we need to think about. Having gone from Invincibles to no trophies since is quite abnormal. We'll get one soon.

It wouldn't be a disaster, no, but it is something we need to think about. Having gone from Invincibles to no trophies since is quite abnormal. We'll get one soon.

Yeah but they had to build a new stadium...what infuriates me is they're going about the whole thing the right way yet they receive so much criticism. The entire world: governments, banks, firms, households, and football clubs, is in way too much debt, trying to get ahead through unsustainable practices. But Arsenal is one of the few institutions that has said no, we're going to try to do things the right way and balance the budget. They're a beacon of hope in this global financial epidemic that has been brewing for a few decades now. They're one of the very few sustainable, profitable big clubs and on that shoestring budget they play the most attractive football in England. They're consistently great every year and usually an injury or two away (and their style of play gets them hacked to pieces in the Premiership) from winning a trophy and maybe the league. So what if they aren't quite as good as ManU, ManU is a bigger club with a bigger budget. And Chelsea? Not only have they lived in a financial fantasy land, their experiment wasn't sustainable and they've already fallen behind Arsenal. I am willing to place a big bet that Chelsea finishes behind Arsenal in the league next season as well. Arsenal is one of England's big 3 and they go about it the right way, they should be receiving accolades and not constant criticism for not winning the odd domestic cup.

Nice one Wenger! Got some great points there from the sxc frenchman...but i still think he needs to go at the end of the season and we need to get someone new and different in! Maybe Eddie Howe or Mourinho?

Great quotes from Wenger. What a shame people only measure them by trophies...if you take into consideration their budget over the last 7 years they've been as successful as anyone in England. So what if they don't take the CCs and FA Cups? And they compete in the Champions League, and if it wasn't for having to go against a team like Barca in the final they would have been the first London club to have won one. They're always in the top 4 and they're very close to a title. Before the season I thought they'd do it this year but when they lost Vermaelen I think that ended their chances. They're definitely a big contender for it next year though and I think they'll take it if their healthy...they will only be a better team next season since they're only getting more experienced, while ManU and Chelsea have a lot of veterans they need to think about replacing.

Their only issue is the psychological hurdle about the trophies. That's why losing the CC was such a huge blow for them...not that it really mattered that much for the prestige of the club, but it only kept the haters hating and contributed to the self-doubt that keeps them from getting that trophy. That's why ManU won the league this year and Arsenal didn't: ManU are winners, they are confident and they always know they're going to win. Arsenal clearly doesn't have that mentality. They'll drop 4 goal leads while ManU can turn two goal deficits into 3 points almost instantly. ManU can grind out results, especially by last minutes goals, while Arsenal just isn't that type of team. They'll play Prem teams off the pitch but will only get the draw.

They are a football club, who claim to be a top and big club, Off course they are going to be measure by there success on the field of play, and in the last 7 years they have failed to win any trophy. I think it showed what this club is really about, the fact they bottled( that being a key word) almost every chance they have had at silverware over the pst 7 years, whether it is ******* up the league from a very promising position( and blaming an injury to eduardo), which every team has to deal with, or it is losing to Birmingham in the carling cup final. They always find a way to lose and bottle the situation.

Your Champions league point is a total non point, You could quite easily say if it wasnt for a John Terry Slip, Chelsea would of been the first London based winners. And you cant say a team like Barcelona, Or everyone who loses to them, might as well claim, " If we didnt face a team like Barca" The fact is they did and lost, in the same way "If we didnt face a team like Barca" we would of been the first side to retain the Champions league.

Yeah but they had to build a new stadium...what infuriates me is they're going about the whole thing the right way yet they receive so much criticism. The entire world: governments, banks, firms, households, and football clubs, is in way too much debt, trying to get ahead through unsustainable practices. But Arsenal is one of the few institutions that has said no, we're going to try to do things the right way and balance the budget. They're a beacon of hope in this global financial epidemic that has been brewing for a few decades now. They're one of the very few sustainable, profitable big clubs and on that shoestring budget they play the most attractive football in England. They're consistently great every year and usually an injury or two away (and their style of play gets them hacked to pieces in the Premiership) from winning a trophy and maybe the league. So what if they aren't quite as good as ManU, ManU is a bigger club with a bigger budget. And Chelsea? Not only have they lived in a financial fantasy land, their experiment wasn't sustainable and they've already fallen behind Arsenal. I am willing to place a big bet that Chelsea finishes behind Arsenal in the league next season as well. Arsenal is one of England's big 3 and they go about it the right way, they should be receiving accolades and not constant criticism for not winning the odd domestic cup.

You say Man Utd is a big club with a big budget, but tell me the last time we spent millions and millions in the market, Maybe Berbatovs arrival 3 seasons ago now. Certainly not since. We spent 20million the summer Ronaldo left and 23million( on a few young players) last summer, We dont spent massively.

Arsenal are of the big 3? Arsenal will fall behind City very Soon and get trapped in the "Liverpool Scenario"( As i like to call it) if they arent careful, they will talk about being a big club for the next 15 years and a top club, and realise they havent win the league by that time in nearly 20 odd years, and fall into that group behind the leagues real contenders and be a constant Cha,pions league team, but never a league winner. I think we all know how that went for liverpool.

I do respect Arsenal's business model, and Wenger does raise good points about what they've achieved for their age. But you're still being harsh on United, we haven't spent too big recently. For instance we spend £7m on Chicharito, and Chelsea spend £50m on Torres. ;) We also always spend within our means, if not for the debt from the Glazer's we'd be a profitable firm. Our budget is also just from a multiplier process from winning the first league.

And Arsenal should be receiving accolades for their business model, but they still are a club that should be challenging for trophies. Just because they made the choice to run the way they have, this is not an excuse for lack of on the pitch success, is it? You mentioned that the main difference is the mentality, and they can only wait for that to come. United know how to win games, Arsenal know how to lose them.

Also, if I was to see us lose any trophies I'd sooner see Arsenal lift it than Chelsea/City etc. just for the way they run the club.

They are a football club, who claim to be a top and big club, Off course they are going to be measure by there success on the field of play, and in the last 7 years they have failed to win any trophy. I think it showed what this club is really about, the fact they bottled( that being a key word) almost every chance they have had at silverware over the pst 7 years, whether it is ******* up the league from a very promising position( and blaming an injury to eduardo), which every team has to deal with, or it is losing to Birmingham in the carling cup final. They always find a way to lose and bottle the situation.

Your Champions league point is a total non point, You could quite easily say if it wasnt for a John Terry Slip, Chelsea would of been the first London based winners. And you cant say a team like Barcelona, Or everyone who loses to them, might as well claim, " If we didnt face a team like Barca" The fact is they did and lost, in the same way "If we didnt face a team like Barca" we would of been the first side to retain the Champions league.

You say Man Utd is a big club with a big budget, but tell me the last time we spent millions and millions in the market, Maybe Berbatovs arrival 3 seasons ago now. Certainly not since. We spent 20million the summer Ronaldo left and 23million( on a few young players) last summer, We dont spent massively.

Arsenal are of the big 3? Arsenal will fall behind City very Soon and get trapped in the "Liverpool Scenario"( As i like to call it) if they arent careful, they will talk about being a big club for the next 15 years and a top club, and realise they havent win the league by that time in nearly 20 odd years, and fall into that group behind the leagues real contenders and be a constant Cha,pions league team, but never a league winner. I think we all know how that went for liverpool.

They've been in the Champions League for 15 straight seasons...they went to the final once and lost to a great team. They're usually in all competitions until late in the season. Runner up in the CC and probably runner up in the league this year. The most attractive football in the Prem. How is this not a success? They were more successful this season than 19 other Premiership clubs.

That bit about them falling out of the big 3 is also a load of ****. Chelsea is much nearer to falling out of the big 3 than Arsenal...they're old and will (are) have to spend massively to replace their aging core. They're behind Arsenal in the league this season and mark my words unless they spend like crazy this summer, they will next season. Arsenal has the youngest squad in England and they're the second best team in England...falling out the big 3 that's a load of rubbish. The Liverpool comparison is terrible, they're two completely different clubs with different philosophies. Liverpool spent way more money on **** players and they've had two terrible seasons. No way that is happening to Arsenal with the squad they have, which will only continue to improve. Since the stadium is almost paid for they're done having to sell their best players. Obviously they'll have to sell Fabregas, but I don't think that'll happen for another 3 years, and they'll earn a ton of money from it. And of course by that point Wilshere will be ready to succeed him. Although they're out of the race this season, they'll finish in 2nd and I honestly think they'll win the title next season or be very, very close (barring an injury crisis). And as for City, I doubt they'll finish in the top 4 this season and they have a little while before they gel as a team and become consistent winners.

ManU in recent years moved towards a more youth driven transfer policy and can't spend so much because they're in debt. But for a long time they were the biggest financial power in England, and they've been able to ride that. Though they're not big spenders, they have been on a much bigger budget than Arsenal. But the biggest difference between ManU and Arsenal is that Arsenal turned into a selling club to pay for the Emirates while ManU never had to do that. ManU got to keep lots of their great veterans, and as you know Giggs, Scholes, VDS, etc. have been crucial in their trophies the last few seasons. Their experience is what separates ManU from Arsenal and why ManU won the title this season. Arsenal never had that luxury. They didn't get to keep players like Vieira and Henry, they had to sell them before they got too old for financial reasons. Imagine if ManU had to sell Giggs and Scholes years ago and had to rely on cheap young players as replacements? I'm not trying to portray ManU to be like City and Chelsea, I'm just saying they're a different club than Arsenal and they have different scales of success. Success is relative.

I do respect Arsenal's business model, and Wenger does raise good points about what they've achieved for their age. But you're still being harsh on United, we haven't spent too big recently. For instance we spend £7m on Chicharito, and Chelsea spend £50m on Torres. ;) We also always spend within our means, if not for the debt from the Glazer's we'd be a profitable firm. Our budget is also just from a multiplier process from winning the first league.

And Arsenal should be receiving accolades for their business model, but they still are a club that should be challenging for trophies. Just because they made the choice to run the way they have, this is not an excuse for lack of on the pitch success, is it? You mentioned that the main difference is the mentality, and they can only wait for that to come. United know how to win games, Arsenal know how to lose them.

Also, if I was to see us lose any trophies I'd sooner see Arsenal lift it than Chelsea/City etc. just for the way they run the club.

Yeah I agree, ManU is a very well-run club, much moreso than Chelsea/City. But they have operated under a much larger budget, even if they haven't spent much in recent years. As I said before, they never had to be a selling club. If Arsenal had just kept Vieira, I bet they would have won a couple of trophies. People have always said they're a steely DM and a leader away from winning the title, and that's exactly who Vieira was. But when you want to pay for a stadium without going into debt, you have to sell when someone makes you an offer you can't refuse. ManU never had to do that, so they got to keep their veterans. And that's the difference between Arsenal and ManU: ManU has the veterans that give them that leadership and winning mentality, Arsenal doesn't. That's why they won the title this year and Arsenal didn't. It wasn't their squad because Arsenal is just as talented as ManU (although not quite as deep because of their budget constraints).

But yeah, I wasn't trying to make this an Arsenal vs. ManU thread, I'm just writing this in response to ManU fans like Scott who rip into Arsenal for not being a "successful club." Success is relative, and for Arsenal's situation, they've been incredibly successful over the past 7 year trophy droubt. Yeah they don't have as many trophies as ManU, but they aren't ManU. They're a smaller club on a smaller budget. So they have different measures of success. That's why you can't rip into a club like Blackpool for not winning the title this year. Staying up in the league is a success for them. It's a relative term.

As for ManU, when they play Chelsea or ManCity, I'm always very conflicted. On the one hand, I know I should root for them because they are much better run than those two clubs, who basically use FMRTE. But I don't for some reason, I guess it's because they're a much bigger club than Chelsea or ManCity, and as a neutral I usually want the smaller club to win. I've always sort of disliked them since I first liked Leeds. :)

^ Excellent post.

Success is completely relative - people thought we'd fall out of the top 4/5 this season and when we get to the Carling Cup final on pretty much our first try (it hasn't been our priority at all in recent seasons), lost in unfortunate circumstances, get knocked out by "the best team in the world" in the Champions League by one goal and got to the FA Cup Quarter-Finals, as well as probably finishing 2nd in the most competitive league in the world - that, for me, represents some degree of success even if we're not yet back to winning trophies.

To be honest, Arsenal are a great club, play great football, and have some great players.

But this is a result's buisness, him saying that they would be revered in other countries is an odd statement, look at Van Gaal leaving Bayern today, they play nice football, haven't spent a great deal since the way German clubs are run is a similar model to Arsenal, yet they have gone for Champions League runners-up to fourth, and they have pressed the panic button.

Arsene is lucky he is not only a legend at the club but also at a very understanding club, which i like to see.

Had this been Chelsea, he would've gone at least 5 years ago.

To be honest, Arsenal are a great club, play great football, and have some great players.

But this is a result's buisness, him saying that they would be revered in other countries is an odd statement, look at Van Gaal leaving Bayern today, they play nice football, haven't spent a great deal since the way German clubs are run is a similar model to Arsenal, yet they have gone for Champions League runners-up to fourth, and they have pressed the panic button.

Arsene is lucky he is not only a legend at the club but also at a very understanding club, which i like to see.

Had this been Chelsea, he would've gone at least 5 years ago.

Bayern situation is completely different, though. They've been dominant for as long as I can remember in Germany & have been dreadful this year. Germany isn't as competitive as England, so you can't compare our situations.

They've been in the Champions League for 15 straight seasons...they went to the final once and lost to a great team. They're usually in all competitions until late in the season. Runner up in the CC and probably runner up in the league this year. The most attractive football in the Prem. How is this not a success? They were more successful this season than 19 other Premiership clubs.

That bit about them falling out of the big 3 is also a load of ****. Chelsea is much nearer to falling out of the big 3 than Arsenal...they're old and will (are) have to spend massively to replace their aging core. They're behind Arsenal in the league this season and mark my words unless they spend like crazy this summer, they will next season. Arsenal has the youngest squad in England and they're the second best team in England...falling out the big 3 that's a load of rubbish. The Liverpool comparison is terrible, they're two completely different clubs with different philosophies. Liverpool spent way more money on **** players and they've had two terrible seasons. No way that is happening to Arsenal with the squad they have, which will only continue to improve. Since the stadium is almost paid for they're done having to sell their best players. Obviously they'll have to sell Fabregas, but I don't think that'll happen for another 3 years, and they'll earn a ton of money from it. And of course by that point Wilshere will be ready to succeed him. Although they're out of the race this season, they'll finish in 2nd and I honestly think they'll win the title next season or be very, very close (barring an injury crisis). And as for City, I doubt they'll finish in the top 4 this season and they have a little while before they gel as a team and become consistent winners.

ManU in recent years moved towards a more youth driven transfer policy and can't spend so much because they're in debt. But for a long time they were the biggest financial power in England, and they've been able to ride that. Though they're not big spenders, they have been on a much bigger budget than Arsenal. But the biggest difference between ManU and Arsenal is that Arsenal turned into a selling club to pay for the Emirates while ManU never had to do that. ManU got to keep lots of their great veterans, and as you know Giggs, Scholes, VDS, etc. have been crucial in their trophies the last few seasons. Their experience is what separates ManU from Arsenal and why ManU won the title this season. Arsenal never had that luxury. They didn't get to keep players like Vieira and Henry, they had to sell them before they got too old for financial reasons. Imagine if ManU had to sell Giggs and Scholes years ago and had to rely on cheap young players as replacements? I'm not trying to portray ManU to be like City and Chelsea, I'm just saying they're a different club than Arsenal and they have different scales of success. Success is relative.

You say Success is relative, yet say Arsenal have been more successful then 19 other clubs, wanna contradict yourself any more. A club sets targets at the start of the season, I bet arsenal wanted to win a trophiy this season, and when they reviewed it in Janaury, wanted to win 2, yet they are likely to end up trophyless. You call this a success? A club like Bolton have had a more successful year then Arsenal, Tipped for relegation battle, yet find themselves as high as 8th, Birmingham, if they manage to stay up( which i think they will) would of achieved there objective and won a trophy along the way, More success then Arsenal.

United brought through Youth to win there first few titles, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, ****, the Nevilles, then used the money from winning trophies and Branding such things as Beckham and the club to buy the players to continue the winning pattern. United sold players like Ruud, Beckham, Phil Neville, Stamm, The great dane left, Veron, Keane was kicked out. We lost club legends and world class players as well, but we moved on and the rest of our squad stood up and was counted for.

Arsenal will sell Fabregas thi summer with out a doubt, in similar fashion to Henry and Veiria leaving, they could only hold on so long, I see Clichy contract talks have broken down and his future is up in the Air, Ady had to go due to them not being able to match his wages. That is a worrying thing for a "top club" players are leaving as they feel they cant achieve everything they want at that club.

You think City wont finish top 4? Wanna bet? They are getting better and players like Silva, Toure, dzeko will get better the more they play in the EPL ( this being there first season). Chelsea had a poor patch over december/ january, if they didnt have that spell, they would of finished above Arsenal and likely United. With Ramires getting better, Sturridge coming back, there future also looks bright.

As for United, Lets look, Rafael, Fabio, Smalling, Evans, Welbeck, Nani, Herdanez, Welbeck and Macheda to name a few are all young and improving, yet they are considered First team players and there age is always Forgetton.

But yeah, I wasn't trying to make this an Arsenal vs. ManU thread, I'm just writing this in response to ManU fans like Scott who rip into Arsenal for not being a "successful club." Success is relative, and for Arsenal's situation, they've been incredibly successful over the past 7 year trophy droubt. Yeah they don't have as many trophies as ManU, but they aren't ManU. They're a smaller club on a smaller budget. So they have different measures of success. That's why you can't rip into a club like Blackpool for not winning the title this year. Staying up in the league is a success for them. It's a relative term.

But Blackpook dont see themselves as a big club, yet Arsenal and there fans do, Blimey even you see them as one of the "top 3" Money will come and go, but nights like we had in Moscow are immortal. I am sure Arsenal fans want more nights like that.

I'm sorry Arsene but failing to win a trophy in six years is a disaster. You may have a well run club, have balanced books etc but is that what the fans like? the fan boast after the season about their great balanced books? I doubt it. The Arsenal fans I know are getting increasingly frustrated with the lack of success and rightly so. A club who pride themselves on their history and achievements, not having a piece of silverware to show for the last 5, soon maybe six years isn't acceptable.

I don't understand some of the comments in here either. Some Arsenal fans may not care, as long as the pretty football continues to be played, does it matter if we win a trophy? but the rest are getting annoyed. The thing is Arsenal call themselves a big club and rightly so on history and recent success but picture this, Manchester United fail to win a single trophy in a campaign is a massive failure. Even last seson when the Carling Cup was lifted, it was seen as a fail off a season. I couldn't imagine for one minute though, Manchester United would execpt 6 years of winning nothing, it wouldn't happen.

If Arsenal fail to win anything this season then in my belief, I think it will be very hard for them to even stay within touch of the top 4 next season what with the rise of Tottenham and the spending power of Manchester City.

You don't remember ''we were so close to win the title/cup'' you remember ''we won it'' !!!

You say Success is relative, yet say Arsenal have been more successful then 19 other clubs, wanna contradict yourself any more. A club sets targets at the start of the season, I bet arsenal wanted to win a trophiy this season, and when they reviewed it in Janaury, wanted to win 2, yet they are likely to end up trophyless. You call this a success? A club like Bolton have had a more successful year then Arsenal, Tipped for relegation battle, yet find themselves as high as 8th, Birmingham, if they manage to stay up( which i think they will) would of achieved there objective and won a trophy along the way, More success then Arsenal.

I should have specified. When I said Arsenal was more successful than 19 other clubs, I was obviously moving towards a more objective definition of success, which you seem to use. They finished in 2nd place. They wanted to win trophies at the beginning of the season, but which ones would they win? The Champions League? They're probably not quite good enough and they drew Barca in the first round. After everyone saw that draw, not advancing past that round was no longer viewed as a failure. The league? They're just about as good as ManU, and they didn't quite do it, they finished in 2nd. Which certainly isn't a failure unless you're definitely the best team in the league, which they aren't. Had they won the league this season it would have been a big surprise and a huge success. 2nd place in arguably the world's best league is by no means a failure for any team. Even if ManU finished in 2nd, I think the real, more mature fans, wouldn't view it as a failure. Would it be viewed as a success? No, because they're the biggest club in the world. But I wouldn't call it a 'failure.' For Arsenal, a much smaller club, 2nd place is pretty good.

Other than the league there are those two domestic cups that no one really cares about. They choked at the last hurdle of the CC but it's not like Arsenal fans would reminisce about that victory in the future if it actually happened. By far, the real impact of that game was ending Arsenal's season (that happening right before having to play Barca at Camp Nou and ManU at OT is very unfortunate, obviously they lost the first and came close in the second, but having those three matches all together destroyed their confidence and cost them the title challenge). And in the FA Cup they were very unlucky to draw ManU at OT so early on. Who knows what would have happened had they drawn them at home or gotten a different team. And of course had they had Vermaelen this season, they would have won the CC and possibly the league (imagine if Vidic missed this whole season).

But the point is I don't think you can measure the overall, long-term success of a club based on whether or not they were able to nag some domestic cup against a crappy team in the final. Most Arsenal fans don't, and it's usually Chelsea/ManU fans such as yourself that simply bring up the whole trophy thing over and over again because it's easy to get on them for it. Had Arsenal gotten the CC this year but hadn't won anything else, would it really change their overall outlook? Their success as a club? It's really not much of an indicator of success or anything really in the grand scheme of things (I mean look at Birmingham, they might get relegated). It's just a talking point you like to use.

When you put things into perspective, Arsenal did just fine this season. Was it a huge success? No. But their consistency is absolutely remarkable considering their small budget, and the fact that they never fell out of the top 4 during their 'selling club' period is a HUGE success.

United brought through Youth to win there first few titles, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, ****, the Nevilles, then used the money from winning trophies and Branding such things as Beckham and the club to buy the players to continue the winning pattern. United sold players like Ruud, Beckham, Phil Neville, Stamm, The great dane left, Veron, Keane was kicked out. We lost club legends and world class players as well, but we moved on and the rest of our squad stood up and was counted for.

Obviously a club will sell many of its good players, every club does this, the difference is Arsenal had to clear out ALL of their great players. They had to get rid of all of the Invincibles almost immediately. You conveniently ignore the fact that ManU still has VDS, Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, etc. Arsenal has NOT ONE player like this. They don't have a single veteran in that team, other than maybe Rosicky, who is just a shadow of his former self after the injuries (and not a leader like one of the ManU players I listed). In other words, you basically sidestepped the whole point of my post.

Arsenal will sell Fabregas thi summer with out a doubt, in similar fashion to Henry and Veiria leaving, they could only hold on so long, I see Clichy contract talks have broken down and his future is up in the Air, Ady had to go due to them not being able to match his wages. That is a worrying thing for a "top club" players are leaving as they feel they cant achieve everything they want at that club.

Moments like this show your bias. No way in **** is Fab leaving this summer, unless Barca makes a terrible move. Xavi is only 31, and the type of player he is he should last a couple more years at his peak. He could end up like a Scholes or a Giggs. The fact is if Barca is halfway intelligent (especially considering their financial situation), they won't buy Fabregas until they need a Xavi replacement. Why spend 50 million+ on someone to sit on the bench? Fab is a great player, but he's not quite as good as Iniesta or Xavi, who fit in perfectly to that Barca system.

Clichy is always out of position and I don't think it'll be a big blow if he leaves. Arsene will find a cheap, good, young replacement. Adebayor? Seriously? He left Arsenal for CITY. He's a filthy money-grubber, that's why he went in the first place, everyone knows that. No way Arsenal would want him in the team, and they got rid of him for a good price because that's the type of thing Arsenal has to do to pay off their stadium.

You think City wont finish top 4? Wanna bet? They are getting better and players like Silva, Toure, dzeko will get better the more they play in the EPL ( this being there first season). Chelsea had a poor patch over december/ january, if they didnt have that spell, they would of finished above Arsenal and likely United. With Ramires getting better, Sturridge coming back, there future also looks bright.

Tottenham were the form team for a long time and I thought that'd continue, although they've slipped in recent weeks. Maybe City will take it but I don't think they'll finish in the top 4. Your Chelsea point is a poor one, that's the same as me saying "if Arsenal hadn't had a poor patch the last two weeks, they'd be 4 points from ManU with a game in hand and in the title race). Arsenal were the better team this season. Fact. They were the second best team in England this season. Fact. There's no reason for you to insist they aren't in the top 3 or that they're falling out of the top 5 other than pure bias.

As for United, Lets look, Rafael, Fabio, Smalling, Evans, Welbeck, Nani, Herdanez, Welbeck and Macheda to name a few are all young and improving, yet they are considered First team players and there age is always Forgetton.

Macheda and Welbeck are first team for ManU? Welbeck is a good young player but he's behind 3 very good strikers and he won't have much impact on ManU next season. Nani isn't young, and I don't think Evans is going to be anything really special. I don't see what your point is...of course ManU has good young players. But unlike Arsenal, they have some very important veterans, which is what got them the title. These players are near the end of their careers, so Arsenal is in just as good of a position as ManU.

But Blackpook dont see themselves as a big club, yet Arsenal and there fans do, Blimey even you see them as one of the "top 3" Money will come and go, but nights like we had in Moscow are immortal. I am sure Arsenal fans want more nights like that.

Arsenal is a big club, but they finished in 2nd place, which is a moderate success for them, but not a failure like you claim. They definitely aren't as big as ManU, which is why I wouldn't use ManU's standards of success to judge Arsenal like you insist on doing. Blackpool has their standards of success, ManU has theirs, and Arsenal, being a selling club, has theirs. For Arsenal, remaining in the top 4 and competing in all competitions until the end of the season is a success, and they've done that. So you can't claim that Arsenal is an unsuccessful club.

Arsenal will have their day once they're done paying for their stadium and they can switch to a normal transfer policy. You got very lucky in Moscow and just like Arsenal you couldn't beat ManU either even though you are much better suited to counter their style of play. Also, your continued insistence that Arsenal isn't top 3 just really shows your bias. Who do you seriously think is above Arsenal right now other than ManU and Chelsea (who, IMO, have fallen behind Arsenal, but I'm not trying to argue that right now)? Man City? What a load of rubbish. They haven't even made the Champions League while Arsenal has for 15 straight seasons and you think they're bigger/better than Arsenal? Tottenham? When was the last time Tottenham finished above Arsenal? Not in the top 3, what a load of bollocks.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

I'm sorry Arsene but failing to win a trophy in six years is a disaster. You may have a well run club, have balanced books etc but is that what the fans like? the fan boast after the season about their great balanced books? I doubt it. The Arsenal fans I know are getting increasingly frustrated with the lack of success and rightly so. A club who pride themselves on their history and achievements, not having a piece of silverware to show for the last 5, soon maybe six years isn't acceptable.

I don't understand some of the comments in here either. Some Arsenal fans may not care, as long as the pretty football continues to be played, does it matter if we win a trophy? but the rest are getting annoyed. The thing is Arsenal call themselves a big club and rightly so on history and recent success but picture this, Manchester United fail to win a single trophy in a campaign is a massive failure. Even last seson when the Carling Cup was lifted, it was seen as a fail off a season. I couldn't imagine for one minute though, Manchester United would execpt 6 years of winning nothing, it wouldn't happen.

If Arsenal fail to win anything this season then in my belief, I think it will be very hard for them to even stay within touch of the top 4 next season what with the rise of Tottenham and the spending power of Manchester City.

Actually, the fans love having a balanced book which is why they're so supportive of Wenger when other clubs (Chelsea, ManU, etc.), if they were in the same financial situation (they're definitely not, but if they were for whatever reason, such as Abrahomivic leaving), would have canned him. The fans know they have a very talented young squad, a new stadium, and great finances. In other words, they have a great future. Most informed Arsenal fans know this, which is why they don't make these ridiculous claims.

You make the ManU comparison but Arsenal is NOT ManU. They're a selling club and a much smaller club. So don't make that comparison.

Your last paragraph is a load of ****. They're the second best team in England with the youngest squad in England...how on earth would they fall out of the top 4 next season? Tottenham is definitely rising but they're not as good as Arsenal and not as young. ManCity will take a couple of years before they settle down and finish above Arsenal (longer than people expect). If/when they don't finish in the top 4 this season, they'll can Mancini and who will replace him? Van Gaal would be a good choice, but if that doesn't pan out? Even if they do get Van Gaal, they have to start over with a new manager once again. They need some consistency and stability before they will be at Arsenal's level. The last time the two played showed the huge gap in between the two teams. It was a draw but ManCity got played off the pitch.

I've done enough talking though, I'm a neutral fan who shouldn't be speaking on behalf of Arsenal's supporters. What do you guys think?

doesnt matter if you think we got lucky in moscow, point is we walked away with it, and made it to another final (you forget the season before we shut out barca to make it there)

but thats past the point, arsenal have a decent season with some success, good run in the CL, still in with a shout of the PL, but ultimately, for a trophy winning team, its a failure of a season, you cant deny that. And there is a good chance Fab will go at the end of the season, even arsenal fans realise this

And Arsenal didnt have to clear out the players, they chose to sell them, or so players chose to leave, their hand wasnt financially forced. Wenger makes some good points but he cannot get way from the fact that 6 seasons without any trophy is a failure for a team of Arsenal's calibre

And if you think some gunner fans arent angry, you really should take a look around more
And you're hardly netural TBF, you made it very clear in recent times for your preference of arsenal

Last edited:
doesnt matter if you think we got lucky in moscow, point is we walked away with it, and made it to another final (you forget the season before we shut out barca to make it there)

but thats past the point, arsenal have a decent season with some success, good run in the CL, still in with a shout of the CL, but ultimately, for a trophy winning team, its a failure of a season, you cant deny that. And there is a good chance Fab will go at the end of the season, even arsenal fans realise this

And Arsenal didnt have to clear out the players, they chose to sell them, or so players chose to leave, their hand wasnt financially forced. Wenger makes some good points but he cannot get way from the fact that 6 seasons without any trophy is a failure for a team of Arsenal's calibre

And if you think some gunner fans arent angry, you really should take a look around more

I'm not trying to knock ManU, I'm just saying that had it been another year Arsenal would have won the Champions League. Getting runner-up to Barca in the Champions League, especially for a selling club like Arsenal, is a big success. When it happened to ManU I thought that ManU team was a great team and it was a successful season. Any other year they would have won the CL.

Wenger wasn't "forced" to do it in some senses, but he was in others. He wanted to balance the budget and pay for the stadium the right way. It cost him trophies to do so, which is EXACTLY why he should be praised. He sacrificed winning for the future of the club.

Yeah Arsenal doesn't win trophies, but they're a selling club during this time period. When that ends, their objectives and definition of success will change. At that point trophies will be demanded. But I don't think the board and loyal fans are demanding that. They are demanding that Arsenal play good, attractive football, be consistently good, compete in all competitions until close to the end, and not fall out of the top 4. They are doing all of those things. Since they are fulfilling their objectives, they have been a successful club.

ManU has different objectives. They're the biggest team in the world with the biggest revenue stream in the world and the best manager in the world. Their objectives are to win the Prem and probably one domestic cup, and maybe the Champions League if possible. If they can't do any of these things obviously it's a failure. But Arsenal isn't ManU, which is the point I'm making.

As far as angry gunners fans, the majority of those are the new young glory hunter fans that jumped on board in the early 00's. Most of the older, more mature supporters seem to be very content with the club's brand new stadium, great football, consistency, balanced books, and most importantly, very bright future. That's why Arsenal is successful.

not quite true abut the supporters though, i know a fair few of the older lot are getting very frustrated, nt saything their right, but it isnt just the glory hunters. They are not a selling club in that sense like many others are, but i know what you mean. But his own arrogance on the pitch (not financially, i largely back him on all points there) has cost them trophies with team selections, there's bringing through youth players, and theres gambling on the "lesser" cups. Criticism of him is unfair, but some of it does have a point

Back