wbt50

Reaction score
I am so frustrated and angry towards this game is unreal. What the **** am I doing wrong ?

I'm playing as Swansea, I'm playing with a short passing and possession tactic, but this is what I get every game:

I end up every game with around 40% possession, very little completed passes, only a couple of shots on target. Every game, my defense just passes to midfield who passes to one of the forwards and the just run a couple of yards and bang it. THIS HAPPENS EVERY ******* TIME, and my Defence is just pure useless. They just stand and watch **** **** players dribble around them like they are a messi or something. I got the correct tactics. My front players are instructed to hold up play and rarely shoot, which they completely ignore. I don't recall having any real oppertunity in a match as in being in the 12 yard box. I get a number of shots in a game, but they are all long shots. My team are also instructed to tackle aggresively and pressurise the opponents but they just stand and watch.

Honestly this game is getting on my **** now, and it's not like I'm bad, last year on FM12 I went on a 112 Unbeaten run with Arsenal (I'm proud of that one) and I have been a player since FM08.

Trust me I found it hard at first, and ive been playing since Champ Man 00/01!:) The whole point of FM13 was to make it harder than the previous versions (Hence the different simpler versions included!)

I had trouble with tactics, I wanted a Possession tactic but found I was leaking goals, then reading on forums I tried increasing the width and focussing passing down the flanks, this draws your defenders out a bit (I think) and stops a lot of crosses and also lets your full backs get forward without getting caught all the time...

Width is the way!! 4-2-4, Even I had a bad start tho with my possession tactic...half a season to be precise. Had to switch to fluid over balanced to get the fullbacks and DC's to support the midfield and close the gap. I only get 55% possession even with this, like marksandygill said it's a lot tougher now!! unless you play fmc that is.

If you want to keep possession, set your tempo to slow, and your time wasting to almost Often. In your fullbacks player instructions, tell them to hold up the ball, and in shouts tell them to play out of defence, play through the defence, keep possession, pass to feet and look for overlap.

I have a DM (Lucas Leiva) set to defensive mentality with a bit of creative freedom and short passing, seems to play simple passes and keep possession while linking the defence and midfield, averages about 80-110 passes per game.

My Full backs are set to support and stay wide (for crosses), I have a Box-to-Box midfielder (support) and an advanced playmaker (attack) sat next to him, 2 Inside forwards cutting in and set to roam/swap positions with a deep lying striker set to slightly less attacking mentality than the inside forwards so he can support them an score himself.

It's not perfect but I'm doing ok (average 60% possession), its all about balance (not too many attacking players but not too many defending either) and as has been mentioned, they love the width! :)

Also I find if you want a high line (say 3/4 up the slider) then you need the same amount of pressing, and everyone set to the same closing down so as not to pull the team apart (apart from the Goal Keeper!), and dont play offside...but I find counter attack works...

There are a lot of people who know more than me but thats whats working for me!

I've always liked to play 4-2-3-1 possession in FM no matter if I'm Barcelona or Tranmere, but in this version I've found it impossible..

I play a wide, counter attacking 442 in my Cardiff save and I'm second in my first season in my first season in the Prem with 32 games gone.

The ME definitely favours pacey, crossing wingers.

Thanks for the advice guys. After some tweaking I managed to get my team on a winning streak (4 Games winning streak so far)
Although I do get more possession, but not as much as I would like. I usually only get around 55%

I do struggle to score however. Most of my goals come from crosses and corners. But I think that is just because of poor finishers in my squad.

That's not too bad mate, like I said with a good Liverpool team I average 60% in games where I'm favourite, maybe below 50% in away games against bigger clubs!
I find if I'm losing the possession battle, I drop team mentality from control to counter and that helps, as for goals, you'll need a good player to score regularly, I have lewandowski but a lot of people like Shane long!
I think raikan does a possession thread that helped me loads!