wyggie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been playing the FM series for about ~5 years now, noticed this edition is a little more difficult. I like a challenge but no matter what I do I can't seem to get things to go right for me. I'm in my second season managing Derby, just had to reload a save to the start of the season as i got sacked 9 games in! Typically games would either be outright losses or the opposition would score very late to pull it back to a draw. I think I won one game. The hilarious thing is when I holiday (with instructions to use my tactics..) my team scores more goals and wins pretty much every game.

I've read the guides this site has to offer and followed their advice with regards to pre-match reports and the like, but I still can't seem to pinpoint why exactly my assistant manager is doing a better job than I am...

what tactics/formation/approach are you using mate? are you doing your own match prep, teamtalks etc?

I started off with International Footballer reputation.

I'm using a 4-3-1-2 possession tactic (adopted from something i've seen on here) so my players press high up the pitch, keep the ball and wait for the killer pass. It works sometimes, but I seem to concede stupid goals or my strikers can't finish the CCC's. I do my own match prep but to be honest I normally leave it on def. positioning or def. set pieces since we concede so many goals from set pieces. Teamtalks are my own, pretty much always get a good reaction using the 'have faith' option at every stage of the game, doesn't seem to matter though.

I find that formation is quite vulnerable to 2v1 situations down the flanks, as well as fullbacks crossing the ball. Do you concede a lot of goals that way?

Are you scoring many? By and large, it's more beneficial to play simple football in lower leagues and move the ball a bit more quickly rather than try and play possession football. I won't say it doesn't work, but it's harder.

I don't think I concede any more that way than I do other ways, but I suppose conceding one down the flank that could be avoided loses games. No, i'm not scoring many. I've scored 10 in 10 (I predict my sacking again soon...) but the problem isn't creating the chances. The advice in the game is generally 'If we keep playing this way, we'll score eventually'.. it just never seems to happen.

I situations like this, 9 times out of 10 the problem lies in the setup of the central mids. Could you eitgher provide screens of their settings and/or load up the tactic ?

Cheers'

That is a very high defensive line. You also have it set to more roaming and more expressive, which often leaves your players out of position, especially on quick turnovers. Plus your lack of width could very well be vulnerable to opposition wingers either skinning your full backs or doubling up on the flanks with their own full backs.

In addition to the above, I'd also change one of your strikers. Two poachers doesn't help you play the possession game you want to.

Unless you have tweaked the setting of the MCs, I would say that your defensive problem lies here. Your only defensive player is actually one that bursts forward to close down anyone in sight. Why not start with using a CM on defend instead.

As for using 2 poachers, It's not something I am very keen on as they both will consider them selfes at the end of the move when they get the ball. Perhaps one DLF on support instead ?

Looking at the approach in generall, I would not actually use such a high d-line.

So I should change the instructions to default on roaming/expressiveness, pull the defensive line back a bit... and well, I can't really get more width without changing formation. The point about the poachers is a good one, another player to hold the ball in the final third might make it easier to keep the ball.

Unless you have tweaked the setting of the MCs, I would say that your defensive problem lies here. Your only defensive player is actually one that bursts forward to close down anyone in sight. Why not start with using a CM on defend instead.

As for using 2 poachers, It's not something I am very keen on as they both will consider them selfes at the end of the move when they get the ball. Perhaps one DLF on support instead ?

Looking at the approach in generall, I would not actually use such a high d-line.

I hadn't changed the settings of the CM's. Would tweaking my BWM to have a more defensive mentality and do less closing down have the same effect? I thought the point of a box to box midfielder was that they were involved in both attack and defence.

You really should put your defensive line a lot not a bit and give your BWM more defensive instructions, especially giving him defensive mentality which will make him almost like a proper DM... you can adjust your width giving it just a point or two more, it should be enough... and really, two poachers? as someone who also played FM for 5 years, you should have known when you created the tactic that you don't need to use two poachers(unless if you're using a 3-striker formation, although you can use other roles too)...

I would play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation with 2cf, 2fb, 1dm, 1cm, 1ml, 1if, 1am and 1cf :)

Your DM will provide extra defensive coverage and your CM and MR will feed balls to your AM and IF + find a striker that can work solo as a CF...

Well, things are looking up. Still conceding some silly goals which are costing me points but I don't think i'm for the sack anymore.

View attachment 348363

Thanks for all your help! :)