What are the Ideal Championship Tactics?

SidtheSloth

Reaction score
I am currently pursuing a career with Birmingham City in the Championship, and it is proving difficult to find the right fit. No matter what formation, shape, or structure I use.

I seem to struggle to score, which is realistic as Blues do struggle in real life, however, I always seem to concede last minute goals.

At the moment I play a 4-1-2-3 Dm wide with Team instructions relatively limited, set up to be tight and pursue on the counter.

I was wondering whether there are more successful tactics being used by others?

I have my own save going with Birmingham and I played a 4231 in the first season and ended up getting promoted by finishing 2nd. I also struggled for goals from the strikers but Jota got a lot from the number 10 position. He was the best player in the championship and finished with a lot of the awards

I use a 442 formation on counter and structured with Barnsley and finished 4th first season and it's looking like we will get playoffs again. Managed to score 96 league goals with it last year.

the opposite of me then! I currently sit 22nd lost 5 games on the bounce and all by 1 goal margins, I tend to take the lead for a player error from either my goalkeeper or centre half!. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

I have my own save going with Birmingham and I played a 4231 in the first season and ended up getting promoted by finishing 2nd. I also struggled for goals from the strikers but Jota got a lot from the number 10 position. He was the best player in the championship and finished with a lot of the awards

Mate can you share the tactic please?

Mate can you share the tactic please?

I can't take a screenshot of the tactic for some reason but its a 4231 wide.

--------------GK--------------

Fb(s)--Cb(d)-----Cb(d)---Wb(a)

------B2B(s)-----BWM(s)------

W(a)-------AP(a)---------IF(s)

-----------AF(a)-------------

Mentality - Control

Team Shape - Structured

I change TI's from game to game but generally trying to control the tempo of the game and play wide to try and stretch the teams defence.

I can't take a screenshot of the tactic for some reason but its a 4231 wide.

--------------GK--------------

Fb(s)--Cb(d)-----Cb(d)---Wb(a)

------B2B(s)-----BWM(s)------

W(a)-------AP(a)---------IF(s)

-----------AF(a)-------------

Mentality - Control

Team Shape - Structured

I change TI's from game to game but generally trying to control the tempo of the game and play wide to try and stretch the teams defence.

Thanks mate. I'll try with Forest.

I’m using Jethers 2323 with Middlesbrough. 10 games into the season, won 8, drew 1, lost 1. Creates loads of chances

Hey sloth, BCFC veteran here. Only use Bcfc since Fm2010. Give myself 6 saves and 3 seasons to win the champions league. Was easy last year with the strikerless tactic. Finished first season with bcfc last night, **** corrupted save and it won’t load past 28th may!?!? Finished 1st place too. Started again today and going well so far. First job as bcfc manager is to sack lee carsley, and most other staff, let Jeff vetere our director of football employ your new staff. Ask board after 2days to increase amount of coaches too. Don’t waste money on signings as with this team you can get to the promised land (Premiership) first season. Get rid of loan signings, all of them, including Carl and Colin from arsenal rescinding in the u23’s. Sell Davis/Gleeson to first bidder. Tactics now, as your aware all our strikers are not keen goalscorers....4-1-2-3 ish set up working well for me,

Attacking/Fluid

——————Stockdale sk—————

Nsue/Colin wb/s—dean bpd/d—Roberts/Morrison bpd/d—grounds wb/s

—————-kieftenbeld dm/d————

———Ndoye Bwm/s——lowe/Gardner Ap/a ——

Jota/Cotteril IF/s——-—-maghoma/vassell IF/s ——-

———————-/—adams/Luke AF/a————

Short passing
pass into space
play out of defense
Work ball into box
look for overlap
close down more
tighter marking
lower tempo
prevent short gk distribution
play much narrower

All players shoot less often, tackle harder and mark tighter except for centre defenders, set centre defenders to tackle harder only. Set inside forwards to sit narrower. And remove shoot less often from striker.

Good luck with the Mighty Blues and make sure you delete save if you lose to Aston Villa !!!

Last edited:
Tried it pav, not as effective with bcfc as my tactic. Knap’s 4-3-3 is the best I found on forums but doesn’t work with the blues as we have no strikers worth playing.

Tried it pav, not as effective with bcfc as my tactic. Knap’s 4-3-3 is the best I found on forums but doesn’t work with the blues as we have no strikers worth playing.[/QUOTE
Yeh it's weird as again most thought you had a good pre season but instead been the championship everton, both similar windows and both struggling. I like che tho. And yep Knapp is the daddy for last few FM'S. I've only just posted the updated tactic it's a lot more direct. And working with Port Vale, which is about the same level ;) Good luck.

Last edited:
Port Vale!!!! The mighty blues would destroy them ????????????

Struggling in real life though yes, Cotteril has no tactical knowledge at all and has no clue about our players...think he made Davis captain today..

I may be looking to restart my save with BCFC. Can just say it hasn't went to plan and that I am struggling to adapt to fm2018. I believe this to be the most challenging fm yet.

Hey sloth, I’ve started again and using pav’s 4-3-3. You need to keep some loan signings though and train jota as your attacking midfielder. Going great so far ????????????

I may be looking to restart my save with BCFC. Can just say it hasn't went to plan and that I am struggling to adapt to fm2018. I believe this to be the most challenging fm yet.

I recommend playing Davis and Gardner as a midfield 2 as BWM and B2B. It might sound like a weird combination but it worked for me. Boga was great as a RW as his crossing is good for championship level. Dean and Roberts were a good partnership and still doing well in the premier league for me.

Birminghams weakness in my opinion is their poor strike force, so make sure you run a tactic with one striker and plenty of midfield support. You basically want to build the team around Jota