What are your Manager Policies when managing a club?

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi. While posting on some of the threads, and giving my comments on players, and why I would or would not buy certain players, and reading other people's comments, I wondered:
What Policies the other players have, or follow when they manage a club? Are there some that don't have any? I thought it would be interesting to hear from you guys what policies you have, and maybe why. Here are some of mine when I manage Arsenal:
Have a firm eye on the club's finances.
Don't buy a player just because you have the money to blow.
I don't pay more than 10 mil pounds for any player. Except for one instance (and the only time, but it is justified!) do I allow myself that luxury: At the start of any game, (and I assume everybody else does it as well) I evaluate the whole team, and basically Arsenal have one flaw: GK. And I always buy Rene Adler for 17mil, as he is the cheapest (and for me the best) of the best 5 young GK's: Adler, Neuer, Lloris, Mandanda and Akinfeev.
I don't buy players with high reputations. Players with high reputations demand large wages, which have a direct effect on the club's financial position. The only time it is justified is when I can get a player on the cheap, like Franck Ribery on a free transfer (as he is out of contract at the end of the second season). This is justified as I can sell him for 100% profit. Now that is good business. And yes your club will say that your shirt sales will be higher because some kid wants Ribery printed on his Arsenal shirt, but the financial gain in the game in this regard is insignificant, if not zero. Plus I have great confidence in my tactics that are yet to fail me, as I still come out tops every season. With out the tactics I probably would have to spent big.
I look for cheap youngsters to mold into great or good players. There is no better feeling for me then to buy a youngster like Mats Rits for 700k, mold him and then to sell him later for 15 mil pounds, with a next sale clause! Money now and money later. (You can look at my comments on the hidden gems thread, the good youth thread among others)
There is no compromise when it comes to get the best coaches, physios and scouts for my club. No players stays longer in my club than the coaches. And the better the coach is, the better his training will be, the better results I'll get out of a player, the higher his reputation will be, the more money I can sell him for. (You can look at my lists of coaches, physios and scouts on the best coaches thread)

This is just some of my policies. Please share some your policies, and a butcher's approach to my policies are also welcome. Not to harsh please.

Well, as most of my saves end up being with Leeds here's some of my starting tactics:

* For one, the first season starts earlier (around may mostly), as I figure, a manager gets sacked at THE END of a season, so the new guy comes in earlier. This gives me time to arrange some high profile friendlies to bring in cash, scout for good coaches/sack the old staff, and start scouting for new talent.

* No AI arranged friendlies. The assistant has this nasty habit of arranging friendlies against **** teams, and ALWAYS AWAY, so it does nothing for my team and my finances.

* Fresh blood. Sell the "oldies" and the deadwood, bring in fresh, and mostly cheap, youngsters reinforced with some quality free agents to fill the gaps and tutor the young players. (Usually by the time I reach the Premier League my squad is around 22 age average).

* Bargains. I keep a good eye on other countries leagues, and once I see what teams get relegated from a top tier I swoop in and try to get some of their star players that will be too expensive to keep after getting relegated. Same goes with keeping an eye on players whose contract runs out and chatting them up right before the season ends to see if they might be interested. I once got Akinfeev for free after I complimented him enough and offered him a contract the second his old one ran out.

* Listen. If I feel I am in need of a new player, I tend to ask some of my star players first for recommendations. Not only have I found quite a few great players that I never would have thought of otherwise, but it also reinforces the squad by adding more preferred personal.

* I try to build a team, not a gathering of hired mercenaries. I scout youngsters because I want them to grow with the team, and stick with it. Generally, by my fourth season there's very little changes in the line-up. I have a squad that played together for years and simply works.

* I keep my squad manageable. Generally, I have reserves that are too good to be let go on a free, but I just can't sell, and a starting team with at best one cover for each position. I don't want half my guys getting unhappy for not playing...

* if in doubt, I favor players that can play multiple positions over "one-trick ponies", even if the multitalent has slightly weaker stats. Versatility goes a long way once the injury season starts...

Just some quick thought, I'm sure there's more.

No matter what club i go, im always very bias towards the country im managin in! ie In England, i have a tendancy to ONLY sign English players! I like to have a squad full of players from that country!

I always introduce a salary cap, no matter what the club! For instance, when i was West Ham, no player was given a contract worth more that 40k per week and any existant players who were above that, i sold! West Hams finances, as a result improved hugely!

Part of bein a manager is creating your own team tom play your own way and as i introduce tight salary caps, it's tough to get experienced players to join your club. So, i always look for young cheaper youth players who can hold there own in the respected league im playin in! As and example, when i was West Ham, Kieron Dyer was on 70k per week and is 30.... I got rid, brought in young Stanislas and he performed just as good if not better! Same with Green, I signed Joe Hart on half the wages he was on and he was my star player!

Playin like this makes it more interestin!

I never spend more than 10million on a player either, regardless of who it may be!

I only really have one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I'll never sell a player just because they want to leave. I'll sell players only when I want rid of them. If they get annoyed at me, so be it, but they'll either carry on performing for me, or they'll get chucked into the reserves to rot until their contract runs down.

It's a principle thing, I hate that players feel they can demand a way out despite signing a contract saying they'll play for 3-4+ years then jumping when something a bit better comes along.

I always keep an ey of on finances. on my brentford save we have spent 190K in 3 season and are high in the championship and I've always kept an eye of finances. I always have a salary cap, silly wages burns a massive hole in the finances.

What I can also add to my policies are the amount of players per position. I tend to have 2 good (very good) players (one older and one younger, both good, but the younger one will learn or have learned already, from the older one and later fill the older one's shoes completely) per position, with one decent player in the reserves, and one excellent prospect in my youth team. So I have 4 players covering any one position, without disrupting the peace. I also look for players that can play in multiple positions, which add as cover. So everybody gets playing time, and are happy according to their club status, and if I am hit by the worst injury crises, I am not in the **** too much.

Last edited:
What a great thread. thanks for the brilliant information. Ive played this game since i was an egg but somehow reading this i feel like i have learned nothin over the years. I have started this new version as Montrose to give myself a challenge... Im wondering if i have bitten off more than i can chew. Im thinking what im doing is a little too much and should command more basic instructions. This thread has given me some great ideas fella (and girls if any)
thanks again.... what a great website and community.

Regards
bigconk (Newboy)

Montrose FC is a big challenge! It's tough enough tryin to get players to go to the Scottish Prem let alone division 3!

I'd advise going a lower league side in the English leagues, as there are plenty threads to help u challenge if you've got the patience! Whats players to sign, who gets good later on in the game, tactic, financial strengths/weaknesses!

Good luck whatever u do though!

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Salary caps are definately the best way to keep expendature to a minimum! I've noticed alot more in FM 2010 that the further on the game goes, the more clubs are fallin into administration! I make sure everyteam i manage doesn't fall into this bracket and by introducing a salary cap, goes a long way to stop it happening!

Does everyone agree that the majority of your players should be from the chosen country in which you've decided to manage or is that just me?

Does everyone agree that the majority of your players should be from the chosen country in which you've decided to manage or is that just me?
It dont have to be the case. But if your nationality is England, then you automatically get English as a language, and you'll be able to "communicate with players that can speak English". And you'll see that your scouting knowledge for England will be full, and under your club's scouting knowledge, it will list you as the club's main source of knowledge in order to find players. I always chose France as my nationality (as my surname is Du Toit and Arsene Wenger is French), and Spain as my second nationality (a lot of South American countries speak Spanish, Portugese is also nice as most Brazilians speaks Portugese), and because I manage Arsenal, I instantly get French, Spanish and English as my 3 languages. So any player that can speak any one of these 3 languages will be able to "communicate with me", and they will fit in quicker in the club, and the chances of them starting to feel homesick will be less.

Last edited:
I'm not going to go in depth like some of you, but the things I focus on are

1. Money
2. Free Transfers
3. Regens
4. Money
5. Keeping my squad personality professional/determined to the point of not signing someone if they don't fit in.
6. Upgrades
7. Constant Coaching overturn until I get the best I can.
8. Money

I play for the most part English teams, and I DO like to get mostly English players in my team.
However, higher up in the leagues I find that local guys are ridiculously overpriced compared to their stats.
For pretty much any good or great English player I would like on my team I can find at least a handful equally skilled players for half the price.

I do scout tons of youngsters, one of my foremost tactic is to send my best scout to Eastern Europe on a roaming assignment, and I found many a talent there for peanuts.
Until good and cheap English regens kick in I usually have quite the international team, and with many youngsters, by the time I reach the European stage most of them have acquired homegrown status, so all is well.

here are mine:

1. No unhappy players. Basically, if i reject a bid from other clubs who are after a particular player and then he becomes unhappy, i will transfer list him and offer to clubs at double his value (eg. 4m but i sell at 8m) and usually get what i want. ambitious players who try to be funny and ask to be transfer listed will however, not get their wish as i noticed that ai clubs rarely show any form of interest for players listed by request. all i do is throw him into the reserves until he snaps out of it.

2. Coaches. I tend to look for coaches with high determination, motivation and level of discipline (at least 13 for each). these are the coaches who apparently have the ability to improve reasonably. coaches with low mental attributes are definitely out.

3. Determination, work rate and teamwork. I prefer players who have above 15 for these attributes, especially for central mids and defensive mids. these are the players who will win the balls in the middle of the park and not give up. technically and physically gifted central mids without these attributes will either play in AM (depending on attributes), or head for the exits.

4. Youngsters. I have a tendency to play talented youngsters whichever team I use, even if it means sacrificing the results occasionally. they will only get better and better over time with good tutoring and regular 1st team action.

5. Finances. Unless necessary, I would not spend more than 10m on a player as i prefer to strengthen several areas rather than focus on a specific area due to the fact that I play with mid table clubs, who are not rich and not reputable. However, transfer listed world class players is an exception.

6. Performance. New players will be given lots of opportunities but those who fail to perform to their expectations repeatedly will get sold in the next transfer window without hesitation.

Here is my philosophy; If you can't pass, you can't play!!

None of this long and direct ball rubbish, but entertainment, passing, and flowing attacking football. So, to achieve this there are a few things I expect from players that want to play in my team. Players with less than 10 in passing and with little chance of improving are top candidates for transfer list. No technique, anticipation, determination or composure as well, and they are transfer listed.

First is to get my staff in, coaches, physios, and scouts.

Check for controversial and injury prone players.

Sell all the players who does not fit my philosophy, and invest in young players.Usually even with a low budget,(3 to 5 M) I'm able to sell on average 10, 15 players and get some serious money in .

Most people hate the 1st transfer window , but I take my time looking at the squad carefully and checking who to sell and keep, depending of few critical stats as I said before, and if they will fit my tactic. The way I play and tactic used, keeping possession, passing ,attacking, off the ball runners, dictates who will be needed to fill some pivotal roles.
My squad consists of 22 players and 3 GK, mostly 2 players each position, and usually 5 players that can play different roles.

Work through the backbone of the team; good GK playing at sweeper when attacking, at least 4 good CB, 3 good versatile CM or DM, 3 Wingers and 5 all round Strikers. The remaining players have to play in at least 2 different positions, and all of them youngsters.

One more:
I never sell a player for less than I paid for. Unless they are really old and at the end of their career, I want my money back.

1. Over 30's- I never buy anyone over the age of 30 in the EPL. I find that all they want are high wages and their stats drop so quickly, you had forgotten how good they were when you bought them.

2. Youngsters- 90% of the players I buy, are under 22. I love being able to train one to make them reach their maximum potential. I also like how you can watch them grow to see whether they become good players or not.

3. Finances- I always like to keep a good eye on my finances at the club. I haven't gone into administration yet! I like to keep my wage bill as low as possible and I won't usually buy more than one big signing after the first season. I will only spend £10M or more on someone I am 95% sure isn't going to be a flop.

4. The Players- I like to keep my players happy, healthy and in good shape. If they are not, and they are a key player, they still won't play. I also like players that don't have long shots every time they shoot and ultimately, good passers. I will always look for a young DM with potential to be a stunning passer.

5. English Kids- Finally, I try and make sure at least, say, 5 out of 8 signings would be English. If I can, I try and build a squad with mainly English people in. They gel so much quicker and you get quality players. It is a good way to long term success in the game.

Great thread mate. (H)

Most people hate the 1st transfer window , but I take my time looking at the squad carefully and checking who to sell and keep, depending of few critical stats as I said before, and if they will fit my tactic.
I agree. The first transfer window is probably the most important transfer window of all. What ever you do here will set the tone for the rest of the game. If you *** up here, you might as well start over, or grind it out hard for the rest of the season, and try to get it back in the winter transfer period (but players are a bit more expensive this time I have found) or the next season.